Sky Blue Tavern (2 Viewers)

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

This.

They've had Christmas parties from loads of university groups all week.

It was apparently packed yesterday for the Huddersfield game.

Also, I wonder if the Colly is going go bust because it's empty 5 nights a week? Places like this survive of big events rather than sustained daily customers.

I’ve been on non-match day when they had Liverpool, Man Utd etc on, it was busy with a lot of students in there too. The fixtures today of Leicester v Newcastle and Palace v Everton would have done nothing to get the neutral or students in.

This line of it being out of the way is questionable, it’s a few hundred foot away from the SkyDome complex and if it was up by the ground, say the old Rowleys club, the club would again have the problem of it being quiet and out of the way on non-match days.

People seem to want the venue to fail which is a shame.

chiefdave

What's happening to the roundabout etc?
Ring Road Junction 7

To remodel Junction 7 including removing the roundabout and Moat Street car park and replace with a direct route from Spon End to the city centre we will:

• remove the existing roundabout and replace with a new, more direct, road layout controlled by traffic lights providing more direct routes for pedestrians and cyclists to and from the city centre
  • close the existing subways
  • remove the existing car park and raise the ground levels to enable the new junction layout
  • create spaces with landscaping and planting for wildlife to transform the area which is currently dominated by vehicular traffic
  • provide direct walking and cycling routes with toucan crossings to make it easier for people to cross the junction

Nick

Administrator
Ring Road Junction 7

To remodel Junction 7 including removing the roundabout and Moat Street car park and replace with a direct route from Spon End to the city centre we will:

• remove the existing roundabout and replace with a new, more direct, road layout controlled by traffic lights providing more direct routes for pedestrians and cyclists to and from the city centre
  • close the existing subways
  • remove the existing car park and raise the ground levels to enable the new junction layout
  • create spaces with landscaping and planting for wildlife to transform the area which is currently dominated by vehicular traffic
  • provide direct walking and cycling routes with toucan crossings to make it easier for people to cross the junction

Random, do they have pictures of the road layout? With so many things coming off the roundabout I can't picture it.

Marty

What's happening to the roundabout etc?

Big job on their hands, includes knocking down the arches, black horse pub, godiva carpets, etc and putting a new lane in all the way to town. Dedicated cycle lane as well.

Making changes to the holyhead road too.

chiefdave

Random, do they have pictures of the road layout? With so many things coming off the roundabout I can't picture it.
There's a link to 'detailed plans' on the right hand side, doesn't make it very clear to me tbh.

David O'Day

Busy on a Saturday? Usually 30 to 40 people upstairs. Not really enough to keep in going.

Sadly as a pub/bar it isn'tvery good once you remove the City element.

shmmeee

Yeah I can’t picture that at all. Is it going to be a crossroad junction with lights as you come off the ring road?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Big job on their hands, includes knocking down the arches, black horse pub, godiva carpets, etc and putting a new lane in all the way to town. Dedicated cycle lane as well.

Making changes to the holyhead road too.

They're not knocking down the Arches (the rail line above is still in use) but I believe they're putting a road through the next one which is currently a car park for the carpet place.

I think it might just be changing the pinch point to further down the road.

pusbccfc

Not another fucking cycle lane, bad enough in coundon as it is. It's borderline dangerous.

Coventry is one of the worst cities to cycle in. It's an embarrassment for a city going forward if they don't improve it.

Marty

They're not knocking down the Arches (the rail line above is still in use) but I believe they're putting a road through the next one which is currently a car park for the carpet place.

I think it might just be changing the pinch point to further down the road.

Coming down and replacing it with a new bridge from the plans I've read. There wasn't any mention of Nissan going, so you'll have to turn onto a side road to go through the next arch to then get back on the same road. Makes sense to knock it down and redo it.

lordy_87

Coming down and replacing it with a new bridge from the plans I've read. There wasn't any mention of Nissan going, so you'll have to turn onto a side road to go through the next arch to then get back on the same road. Makes sense to knock it down and redo it.
That's a shame. I love them old school viaducts.

harvey098

Thursday they have the Comedy Club I think, so sounds like that is going well.

We’ve slowly been building numbers based on word of mouth and people bringing back more friends etc. The next one is the 30th. Im currently trying to persuade quite a big TV act who I’ve gigged with a few times to come down and do it. Watch this space but tickets for the 30th already on sale through their website

theferret

Attended the fans forum at Dhillons this evening so thought I'd post a summary here.

Really impressed with what I heard, there is a clear desire to listen to supporters and keep improving. There is no doubting the commitment and the substantial investment that has been made. They now employ over 70 local people across their venues.

These are the main points:

• They acknowledge that queues remain the biggest challenge, so they will be adding two extra bars for the next home game; there will eventually be 5 bars in total. They are also going to change the way people queue at the main bar by creating a lane system.
  • As part of wider plans to promote the venue as a family 'fans village', they will be opening a 'tuck shop' at the next game selling pop and crisps to kids.
  • On the same theme, they will be using outside areas for activities, for example creating a small playing area and running competitions such as beat the keeper to win a pint etc.
  • On the beer quality, they acknowledge there have been some issues. They will be serving more of their own brews soon, eventually 50% of the offering. They are working to improve quality as much as possible even to the extent of testing multiple types of plastic glass to find the one that works best with the beer they sell (they are unable to switch from plastic because of the police).
  • On pricing, they will be holding pricing as it is for the foreseeable and will avoid any price increases that are normally applied at this time of year within the industry. They will also look at promotions and offers where they can.
  • In addition to special offers, they will also be introducing a loyalty scheme for season ticket holders, so there will be discounts for loyalty card holders on drinks as well as things like free room hire at the Sky Blue Tavern.
  • They will soon be adding two more projectors in the outdoor areas showing live games; this will be in place for next season and for the world cup.
  • There are looking for partners to offer food on matchdays. The original companies they worked with were far too expensive so they have temporarily brought it in house why they review the food they offer and how they offer it.
  • Once Covid is out of the way there will be much more involvement of the club at the SBT, with players and Mark Robins making regular appearances there.
  • One really important thing to note is how they work in close partnership with the club and pay the club royalties, so if you drink at Dhillons or the SBT, this is directly benefitting CCFC.
  • They were recently approached by Birmingham City to create a similar venue close to St Andrews, but declined the offer.
Really interesting evening, glad I went.

Sky Blue Pete

Attended the fans forum at Dhillons this evening so thought I'd post a summary here.

Really impressed with what I heard, there is a clear desire to listen to supporters and keep improving. There is no doubting the commitment and the substantial investment that has been made. They now employ over 70 local people across their venues.

• They acknowledge that queues remain the biggest challenge, so they will be adding two extra bars for the next home game; there will eventually be 5 bars in total. They are also going to change the way people queue at the main bar by creating a lane system.
  • As part of wider plans to promote the venue as a family 'fans village', they will be opening a 'tuck shop' at the next game selling pop and crisps to kids.
  • On the same theme, they will be using outside areas for activities, for example creating a small playing area and running competitions such as beat the keeper to win a pint etc.
  • On the beer quality, they acknowledge there have been some issues. They will be serving more of their own brews soon, eventually 50% of the offering. They are working to improve quality as much as possible even to the extent of testing multiple types of plastic glass to find the one that works best with the beer they sell (they are unable to switch from plastic because of the police).
  • On pricing, they will be holding pricing as it is for the foreseeable and will avoid any price increases that are normally applied at this time of year within the industry. They will also look at promotions and offers where they can.
  • In addition to special offers, they will also be introducing a loyalty scheme for season ticket holders, so there will be discounts for loyalty card holders on drinks as well as things like free room hire at the Sky Blue Tavern.
  • They will soon be adding two more projectors in the outdoor areas showing live games; this will be in place for next season and for the world cup.
  • There are looking for partners to offer food on matchdays. The original companies they worked with were far too expensive so they have temporarily brought it in house why they review the food they offer and how they offer it.
  • Once Covid is out of the way there will be much more involvement of the club at the SBT, with players and Mark Robins making regular appearances there.
  • One really important thing to note is how they work in close partnership with the club and pay the club royalties, so if you drink at Dhillons or the SBT, this is directly benefitting CCFC.
  • They were recently approached by Birmingham City to create a similar venue close to St Andrews, but declined the offer.
Thanks for attending and sharing and for your enthusiasm

Greggs

Long story short, beer prices the same, they'll clean the pipes more than once a month and they now serve bags of haribo for 7 quid.

clint van damme

Did they give a reason for turning down blues?

Wiseoldfool

That's a great summary .It looks like Dhillons are really trying to impove and deal with any negative feedback.I'm 72 now but if I was 20 years younger I'd be all over this and don't understand the negativety .

Users who are viewing this thread