Simms (1 Viewer)

TomRad85

Do we really think at this point Wright has ‘been a major success’??
He had a poor start, has recently shown promise before injury and has integrated with the squad well but he certainly has some way to go before proving himself never mind ‘a major success’ label.
Proving himself to who?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hertsccfc

Do we really think at this point Wright has ‘been a major success’??
He had a poor start, has recently shown promise before injury and has integrated with the squad well but he certainly has some way to go before proving himself never mind ‘a major success’ label.
I think he's been excellent. Nowhere near as poor at the start as some people said. Has scored at a good rate, assisted a lot too and played a couple of roles effectively. Not sure what more you can expect.

stay_up_skyblues

Based on his previous record and the two minutes I saw him play for Everton I thought we’d signed a goal scorer. He isn’t that. But I do think he occupies defenders and holds it up ok. It can’t be purely down to the quality of those around him that our full strength side scores from different positions.

Dreadful first touch aside, he’s a good foil for Tats, Wright and COH (for now). If neither are going to score I’d much rather Simms up front instead of Godden on current form. And I don’t want to see them as a two again.

I see him as a more mobile and technically superior Clive Platt. Flabbergasted he ever managed something close to 1 in 2.5/3 games before though.

Slightly concerned how quiet/submissive he is on the pitch. When Godden is lambasting him (happens regularly when Matty doesn’t get his own way) he just seems to take it and keep his head down. Also never looks pissed with himself when he’s missed a chance or made an error. Could just be his style but it doesn’t scream 100% commitment and I fancy he’s got another gear or two.

johnwillomagic

Simms has been pretty disappointing - Godden's powers are on the decline but he is still doing a lot more at the business end of the pitch, Simms clodded around for about 65 minutes against a poor Oxford side and still didn't score but at least did provide an assist for Sheaf.

Godden came on and scored two clinical finishes don't think Simms would have made the movement or scored either of them if Im being honest!

johnwillomagic

I think Simms may just have to be sub for most of this season tbh.

I think we are stuck with him but I also feel he will be much better next season with a bit more time with the club.
I thilnk Godden may move on at the end of this season anyhow so Simms chance will come!

Boicey

I think he's been excellent. Nowhere near as poor at the start as some people said. Has scored at a good rate, assisted a lot too and played a couple of roles effectively. Not sure what more you can expect.
If you think he’s been an excellent major success we’ll just leave it there.
Just madness

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I thought Simms was going to be a better player than Wright back in early November but I was wrong. Wright has come on and, importantly, Robins has played him on the left which plays to his strengths.
Simms has made no progress at all. Slow, awful first touch. That tame shot in the second half from the edge of the box which rolled to their keeper sums him up.

Neither player will play beyond this division if we get promoted. Wright, despite improving, is nowhere near good enough for the premier league and I wonder how many championship teams with any promotion ambition would even bother looking at Simms.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Simms needs consistent minutes, scored against Swansea, played well against Middlesbrough, did ok v Oxford and then dropped.

MikeyMoo

Simms is ok when we have wright and saka plus a strong midfield that can score goals. He creates space. We can see the season through this wayThe problem is when we rest the wide forwards and the better midfielders. Simms/Godden just doesn’t seem to work.

Offhegoes

He wasn’t great last night, but I still think he has something about him. Robins & Viveash are clearly trying to mould him to the way we want to play, and it may be taking a little longer than expected.
I’m a big fan of Matty Godden but Simms needs to start as the central striker for me. If we’re not dipping into the transfer market this month then Godden would be a great sub to come o. With 20-25 mins left if we need a goal.
However, MR is no fool. He knows our strikers are not clicking this season and wouldn’t surprise me to see a CF come in

Adge

I think this season is a bit of a write off regarding Sims. Because we are moving in the right direction the majority of fans have/will accept this.
Next season though he has to hit the ground running during the first 10 or so games as then the crowd/fans will have every right to voice their concern.

shmmeee

Based on his previous record and the two minutes I saw him play for Everton I thought we’d signed a goal scorer. He isn’t that. But I do think he occupies defenders and holds it up ok. It can’t be purely down to the quality of those around him that our full strength side scores from different positions.

Dreadful first touch aside, he’s a good foil for Tats, Wright and COH (for now). If neither are going to score I’d much rather Simms up front instead of Godden on current form. And I don’t want to see them as a two again.

I see him as a more mobile and technically superior Clive Platt. Flabbergasted he ever managed something close to 1 in 2.5/3 games before though.

Slightly concerned how quiet/submissive he is on the pitch. When Godden is lambasting him (happens regularly when Matty doesn’t get his own way) he just seems to take it and keep his head down. Also never looks pissed with himself when he’s missed a chance or made an error. Could just be his style but it doesn’t scream 100% commitment and I fancy he’s got another gear or two.

Cant believe ik saying this but Clive Platt was a significantly better target man. Just had the mobility of an oil tanker.

mmttww

I think this season is a bit of a write off regarding Sims. Because we are moving in the right direction the majority of fans have/will accept this.
Next season though he has to hit the ground running during the first 10 or so games as then the crowd/fans will have every right to voice their concern.

This for me. If he doesn't hit expectations this season, not great, but he's on a four year deal as part of a five year plan to compete for the playoff places.

A good forward signed this wk and we can handle Simms having a 6/10 season if Wright, Sakamoto, O'Hare, Palmer, Godden keep performing like this.

blunted

Simms looks cumbersome which does not help people's view of him. Needs to use his size better and bully centre backs. Didn't look great against Wednesday away but won the ball on the press where Godden should have scored. Stone wall penalty when he was barged in the back. Think he set up Allen in the last minute who should have scored. Those chances turn into goals then the opinion of him would have been different. Needs to get his left foot working better and he would have scored from his big chance.

mmttww

Simms looks cumbersome which does not help people's view of him. Needs to use his size better and bully centre backs. Didn't look great against Wednesday away but won the ball on the press where Godden should have scored. Stone wall penalty when he was barged in the back. Think he set up Allen in the last minute who should have scored. Those chances turn into goals then the opinion of him would have been different. Needs to get his left foot working better and he would have scored from his big chance.

This that's about right. He's contributing, just isn't helping himself. He can't fluff many more chances like that one vs. Weds and expect to keep starting, and I say that as someone that wants really wants him to click and be a no. 9 here for years.

Skybluedownunder

Yeah I was shocked that push in the back resulted in a goal kick, proper gave him a nudge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Londonccfcfan

Done well when he came on. Reacted really well with re bound. Scored crucial goal. Still think he could have put himself about a bit more one ball into the box where he coukd have challenged keeper.

I have no issues with the celebration sshhh.

Good to see emotion...any emotion from him.

Now play him Robins.

JSL

Whilst he hasn't scored as many as hoped, he has provided some great assists. Like a Robert Rosario to those who remember him

rexo87

Cant believe theres even a debate about who should be starting. Has to be Simms. He had a good game against Leeds and Sunderland, got dropped. Good game against Boro and Oxford (Despite missing some chances), got dropped. Yes, he was poor in the cup against SW but still better than Godden. Amazing Godden just seems to be able to have a whinge and get himself back in.

Mucca Mad Boys

I’m not saying Simms won’t improve he might but at the moment he’s not delivering what he was bought for….goals.

Neither has Godden. For all the faults of Simms and Godden, they’ve not had many clear cut chances to work with.

It’s more a system issue. Simms needs run in the team now, and we need to put balls in behind defences for Wright and Simms to chase down on. Likewise, we need to get crosses in the box for Simms & Wright too.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Simms need to start in a run of of games now......hes clearly had a stop-start season so far, but hes improving & getting more involved.

From the Swansea game just after Xmas, hes scored 3 + 1 assist, despite only getting a handful of minutes in several of those games.

Just checked. Hes only played 315 mins in those 7 games, so clearly getting a better return now and will only improve with more game time & confidence.

I still reckon, with game time, he'll score more than Wright this season.

I believe in Ellis.

Boicey

Whilst he hasn't scored as many as hoped, he has provided some great assists. Like a Robert Rosario to those who remember him
How many assists has Simms made this season? The stats sites seem to say 1 in the Championship and 1 in the FA cup….

Bertola

Simms need to start in a run of of games now......hes clearly had a stop-start season so far, but hes improving & getting more involved.

From the Swansea game just after Xmas, hes scored 3 + 1 assist, despite only getting a handful of minutes in several of those games.

Just checked. Hes only played 315 mins in those 7 games, so clearly getting a better return now and will only improve with more game time & confidence.

I believe in Ellis.

Isn't it two assists? One where Haji Wright vs Boro and One for Sheaf vs Oxford?

HadjiChippo

I believe in Ellis.
This is what I’ve been telling people who say “he’s had 30 games”; that includes all the <10 minute cameos. The lad just turned 23, new club, new environment, pressure from the decently sized transfer fee etc,.

We need to back him as fans because he’s a young lad who definitely sees all the negative shit people write about him online. I trust robins can get the best out of him.

Users who are viewing this thread