Simms (2 Viewers)

mmttww

I admit he is erratic, but some people just like to focus on the weaknesses.

Some people around me, moan every week because he hasn't got to a ball, a ball that is nowhere near him.

Yet noticeably silent or at best sarcastic when he does something well.

He was first to react last night and it was a very good goal.

We looked more potent with him on the pitch last night and against Leicester.

mr t dancing GIF

AOM

Feel for Simms. Doesn't seem to have won over the home crowd yet, whereas all the other new signings already have including Haji Wright.
Must also be pretty annoying that the brand new signing has a song after less than 90 minutes and he still hasn't even after half a season.
Both Torp and Wright were welcomed onto the pitch last night with songs, and Simms was just like a +1.

Needs consistent game time to be able to develop and silence the critics, hopefully last night was the start

AJB1983

Bloke behind me last night - simms is so shit. He literally then scores about 10 seconds after he says it.
Then Thomas lumps a ball up to him that he wouldn’t win and again ‘he’s so shit’….
Kids 22 years old - got bags of potential. Needs to work into it. Not surprised he gave it to whoever was giving him grief with his celebration. He’s literally just done what was asked of him.

should have a song really. Even Dasilva was having his song sung and he was warming up on bench?

Tommo1993

Bloke behind me last night - simms is so shit. He literally then scores about 10 seconds after he says it.
Then Thomas lumps a ball up to him that he wouldn’t win and again ‘he’s so shit’….
Kids 22 years old - got bags of potential. Needs to work into it. Not surprised he gave it to whoever was giving him grief with his celebration. He’s literally just done what was asked of him.

should have a song really. Even Dasilva was having his song sung and he was warming up on bench?

Was that the ball that flew about 20ft above his head? There were the same sorts of grumbles near me.

fatso

How do you build a rhythm when you're in and out the team all the time?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
You have to earn the right to get a start, and Simms hasn't done nearly enough to earn that.

Fair play to him for getting on the score sheet last night, but an unmarked tap in to an empty net from a yard out doesn't mean he's Pele reincarnated, and certainly doesn't justify his celebration.

He's had far more game time than his contribution would dictate, due to Godden and Wright also being totally ineffective as lone centreforwards. (Although tbf Wright has done very well since being moved out to the left side)

To say Simms needs even more time is as rediculous as saying Tavares just needs a run of games to prove he's the answer.

What we really need is another striker to come in before tomorrow's deadline, So simms and Godden can drop to the bench.

Reactions: ptr

cstring82

I think he'll hit double figures this season easily, regularly have disagreements with the bloke behind me and his parrot of a wife about Simms, Wright and Eccles.
Looks like they are everywhere, just need to back whoever is on the pitch regardless IMO

CCFCSteve

Robins selection policy is simple. You play your way into the team.

Godden deserved his starts after 2 goals v Oxford and now Simms has a goal, I’d expect him to be in the starting 11 against Norwich. It’s in him to nail down the spot now.

I hope you’re right. Agree with your previous comment that this is as much about the system as the individual player. Playing as a lone striker in the current formation is a bit of a thankless task and while Goddens is the better finisher, I just think Simms is better suited to the role. I wasn’t at Leeds but that performance suggests he’s got enough in his locker to do the job given a proper run. Just needs to be more confident and back himself

I also think Godden is probably more dangerous coming off the bench last 20-25 mins when there’s maybe a bit more space and tiring defenders. More likely to get a chance or two in and around the box

Cally Fedora

The choice we have at the minute is Simms or Godden. Simms brings more mobility, presence and pace (just). He adds a touch of height. At the moment if a gilt edged chance fell to either it would be a toss up as to who you’d want it to fall to. So Simms edges it………but the bar is somewhat low

shmmeee

Just checked and if Godden plays an other 136 minutes this season it’ll be the most he’s ever played for us in a season.

mmttww

To say Simms needs even more time is as rediculous as saying Tavares just needs a run of games to prove he's the answer.

Probs the daftest thing said about him so far.

Tavares lives in peoples heads based on goals for the U23s and a goal vs. Preston.

Simms scored in this league last season, and everywhere else he's been on loan.

Someone's posted numbers showing Simms contributes as much as Godden.

We look a better side with him in that position. Folks just have it in for him.

coop

Wright last night was dog shit best thing he done was tackle Torp 🤣Simms should of scored when that ball was crossed along the six yard box.He is a big lad and to me doesn't use his strength enough.

TomRad85

Probs the daftest thing said about him so far.

Tavares lives in peoples heads based on goals for the U23s and a goal vs. Preston.

Simms scored in this league last season, and everywhere else he's been on loan.

We look a better side with him in that position. Folks just have it in for him.
Fatso has it in for everyone so I wouldn't worry, Simms is literally the only remaining player who hasn't completely embarrassed his initial opinion yet so he's going to double down.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

baldy

As if a song for him is one of the priorities ffs - get a grip

CovLad94

Would be mad if Simms goes on a scoring run now, if he was to hit form and confidence could be vital on getting play offs

AJB1983

As if a song for him is one of the priorities ffs - get a grip
Never said it was a priority, just strange he ain’t got one when almost every other player seems to. People who need to get a grip are those shouting he’s shit as he didn’t jump for a ball played 6 ft over his head.

hill83

Never said it was a priority, just strange he ain’t got one when almost every other player seems to. People who need to get a grip are those shouting he’s shit as he didn’t jump for a ball played 6 ft over his head.

He has got one

oscillatewildly

Yes it seems people care more about celebrations or lack of celebration than players scoring. Ostigard was rated so much higher than he deserved because of kicking the corner flag for example.

Well done to Simms for getting onto the rebound. He needs to do more of that rather than some of the other occasions last night where he could have shown more aggression.
"Well done"? That's where he's meant to be.
And he didn't have to bust a gut to get onto it as it was perfectly pushed into his path!

fatso

That's the problem though.
Simms contributes as much as a 32 year old slow player who's legs have gone and isn't physical enough to play as the main striker. (MG has been a fantastic player for us in the past, but at 32 his career is now on the decline)

The argument isn't which one should start over the other, the argument imo is that neither are good enough.

Reactions: KAB

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Feel for Simms. Doesn't seem to have won over the home crowd yet, whereas all the other new signings already have including Haji Wright.
Must also be pretty annoying that the brand new signing has a song after less than 90 minutes and he still hasn't even after half a season.
Both Torp and Wright were welcomed onto the pitch last night with songs, and Simms was just like a +1.

Needs consistent game time to be able to develop and silence the critics, hopefully last night was the start

I don't think it's some kind of conspiracy.

Most of the new signings were slow to get going, but the likes of Wright and Sakamoto have really kicked on. Their football has done the talking and they're pretty well respected now. Simms has some catching up to do in that respect.

I find it bizarre people act like he's been playing really well or as good as some of the names mentioned above, he hasn't. I agree he's a better option than Godden currently but the benchmark isn't very high as it stands. They've both been fighting to be on the bench with some of the performances we've seen and you can see that with the way Robins keeps rotating them.

If he wants to win over the fans he needs to do it with his football. Fight a bit harder and keep scoring goals. If he's good enough he'll get there, and I'm sure he'll have his own song to boot.

Hertsccfc

And he didn't have to bust a gut to get onto it as it was perfectly pushed into his path!
I am hardly his biggest fan, and far from convinced by him, but yes I'll give credit when he does something right. For once he got into the right position and didn't blast the ball wide or over the top. Perhaps this will give him the confidence to go on a run. Let's hope so rather than criticising a player even when they do something right.

Mucca Mad Boys

Just earlier in this thread people were criticising Godden’s and Simm’s positioning. You can’t win.

Simply put, our strikers are not thriving because for all of their faults, they also haven’t had much service.

Godden had 2 touches in the boxes against Oxford and he scored - I actually can’t remember him having a touch in the box since.

baldy

Why the hell do you care if he has got a song or not? It’s not important

mmttww

Simms contributes as much as a 32 year old slow player who's legs have gone and isn't physical enough.

I think the numbers show he contributes more in simple terms, and watching games, he contributes more to link up play and stretches defences.

He's had a few months with the same set of coaches the Godden has had the support of for years. He has the attributes and time to develop like Godden did.

Deciding he's not the answer this soon, when the player he's being compared to (Vik) was a cart horse for half a season at the same age, is proper daft.

Astute

Gyokeres was supposedly shite when we had him on loan. He was supposedly shite and a waste of money when he signed permanently.

What Gyokeres got was game time. It wasn't appearances off the bench. Simms is a similar age to what Gyokeres was. He too has a fair bit to learn. If Simms was the finished article he would have cost much more than just over 3m. We paid for the potential. If he reaches his potential he will cost us more. Fair.

Being at the game is just like being on here. Either clueless, after attention or have been shown to be wrong so many times they're desperate to be right for once and will ignore all the good signs and magnify the bad ones.

Reactions: AOM

Users who are viewing this thread