Simms (2 Viewers)

harvey098

We’re evolving as a team and he’s played a big part in our journey. I can’t see him being here after this season.

I agree but never right him off. He scores in bursts and I think he’ll have one more run before the end of the season. I think we have to persevere with Simms as the middle man for a bit and if he hasn’t improved, whack matty back in after a break.

long way home

In my opinion Simms is not a naturally gifted footballer. He is a player that has physical attributes that are beneficial to the making of an effective player. His size, strength and pace give him an advantage over others, but will only be useful if he understands how to use them.

If he starts to do this the other aspects of his game that are not so natural to him will start to become easier. I see a goalscorer in him, i just think he is somebody the coaches will have to work hard with, and fans will need to show patience towards. He needs to use his body better, protect the ball more and look after it better once he has it. His runs could be better and his movement in the box has to improve, but overall his workrate is good and i do think given chances he will score.

He is young and like most young raw players he sometimes looks clumsy and makes wrong decisions. But overall i think he fits into the squad and think he will be a good signing in time. And last night goal can only be a good thing. He starts against Boro for me and hope he sticks one in off his arse in the last minute to get the 3pts..

CCFCSteve

By all accounts the Leeds performance shows he’s got it in him. Like after Rotherham second half though Robins has then rested/rotated him (albeit after Sunderland game) just when he’s getting some rhythm/confidence to his play.

Hopefully the goal will give him some confidence. Being in and out of the team hasn’t helped. The back four and wright have shown that playing regularly in a settled team has improved their performances no end

I also think Godden would be more useful coming off the bench when defenders are tiring anyway

TomRad85

Simms I think still has the most to prove of all the new signings, with most the others settling in nicely. He starts ahead of Godden for me but let's be honest that's a fucking low bar atm. Another CF in Jan would be nice.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

skyblu3sk

I agree but never right him off. He scores in bursts and I think he’ll have one more run before the end of the season. I think we have to persevere with Simms as the middle man for a bit and if he hasn’t improved, whack matty back in after a break.
I think Simms normally offers more than Godden feels like a confidence issue that needs unlocking.

Astute

Simms I think still has the most to prove of all the new signings, with most the others settling in nicely. He starts ahead of Godden for me but let's be honest that's a fucking low bar atm. Another CF in Jan would be nice.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Simms doesn't suit our present way of playing. He is the total opposite to Wright. Simms will be more suited when we play attacking football and not on the break.

He will come good. But he is young and still learning. The effort is there now.

slowpoke

Apart from Leeds where his movement was good, there’s no movement off the ball, first touch is virtually non existent and rubbish ball control.
To pursue a play-off dream we need better especially now Wright is playing wider.

clint van damme

He was great at Leeds in a set up that didn't require him to do much in the way of actually playing football and a system we'll probably use again this season once at most.

I still think he'll improve but I've been saying it for a while and not much is happening.

AFCCOVENTRY

Wright is 3/4 years ahead of Simms. Simms is a longer term project. He occupies defenders which gives our other attackers space to operate. He is the best option in that central role ahead of Godden.

Pezza

Simms came on and had 1 touch…. A goal snatch from Wright.

There was a point where COH was telling him to chase down as he was too static.

he came on for over 30 minutes and did nothing, at all.

I desperately want him to do well but that’s awful, at any level.

Cally Fedora

We keep mentioning the Leeds game. Let’s have it correct - what he did in that game was run about a lot and show some commitment. That is the absolute minimum we should expect and get. He starts ahead of Godden for me he needs to start producing something tangible over the next 10-15 games to make sure options aren’t explored over the summer.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

If he was the finished article he wouldnt be here at 22 or for the pricetag we got him for, Vik wasnt even necessarily the finished article as we all questioned his heading ability and greediness at times was a cracking player though and we all knew that, but it took time to unlock that player it could be a similar case for Simms

PUSB-We_are_going_up

We keep mentioning the Leeds game. Let’s have it correct - what he did in that game was run about a lot and show some commitment. That is the absolute minimum we should expect and get. He starts ahead of Godden for me he needs to start producing something tangible over the next 10-15 games to make sure options aren’t explored over the summer.
Against Leeds he was arguably our best player, his ball control and off the ball work was superb

Mucca Mad Boys

Simms came on and had 1 touch…. A goal snatch from Wright.

There was a point where COH was telling him to chase down as he was too static.

he came on for over 30 minutes and did nothing, at all.

I desperately want him to do well but that’s awful, at any level.

Likewise, Godden didn't do anything and Wright looks ineffective when he plays centrally too. So it seems the common denominator is the position not the players. If Simms only had 1 touch and that was a goal, probably suggests we need to get the ball to our strikers more often.

If we look at how we play, we overload the wide spaces often (and well), but the play down the central channels is not good enough. Overall, good form aside, as a team (particularly CMs) just aren't as confident playing progressive passes centrally like Hamer was.

Reactions: AOM

Legia Sky Blue

I thought exactly the same thing I thought it was an unnecessary risk but some peeps think I'm being too harsh.

Need to see it back again but thought Simms was onside at the time, but it did seem an uneccessary risk to take. I remember in our first season after relegation from the PL, Lee Hughes did likewise tapping in a goalbound effort from Chippo which got chalked off for offside, that would have put us ahead in a game that we instead ended up losing (Burnley I think).

eastwoodsdustman

Likewise, Godden didn't do anything and Wright looks ineffective when he plays centrally too. So it seems the common denominator is the position not the players. If Simms only had 1 touch and that was a goal, probably suggests we need to get the ball to our strikers more often.

If we look at how we play, we overload the wide spaces often (and well), but the play down the central channels is not good enough. Overall, good form aside, as a team (particularly CMs) just aren't as confident playing progressive passes centrally like Hamer was.
I’ve been thinking about this a fair bit and it has to be down to the formation and the way we play rather than the players in the position.
We could go full Man City and let Allen chase around like a dog up there.

rob9872

For all those saying he might've been offside and unnecessary risk, he's a forward. I want him going for that every time.

Imagine the reverse that he doesn't go for it to make sure but stands there whilst a defender follows in and claws it off the line. The lad would get pelters, and rightly so. Do your job, ensure it's in and leave the rest to what might be.

Esoterica

I believe he’s be being retrained from what’s he’s used to, to do specifically what Robins wants from him in that role, which currently is a little bit alien to him. Result is he can look a bit lost at times and isn’t yet playing to his potential or with consistency. It’ll come, he just needs a bit longer than the others.

skyblu3sk

Need to see it back again but thought Simms was onside at the time, but it did seem an uneccessary risk to take. I remember in our first season after relegation from the PL, Lee Hughes did likewise tapping in a goalbound effort from Chippo which got chalked off for offside, that would have put us ahead in a game that we instead ended up losing (Burnley I think).
He was deffo inside, no doubting that was more about risk for me like the one above.

skyblue_55

The only time Simms has seemed interested, was as a second half substitute against Preston , when he came on as a right sided attacker & ran the left back into the ground, to which Preston substituted their man .
He isn’t green at this level & had a spell in the prem , but we need a lot , lot more from him to justify his price tag & place in our team

Frostie

He was deffo inside, no doubting that was more about risk for me like the one above.
It was physically impossible to be offside, even if he went past the last defender he was never ahead of the ball at any time.

He did exactly the right thing, the angle of the header made it entirely possible it might bounce back off the inside of the post & he'd then be rightly lambasted for not making sure.

He clearly wasn't looking to "steal" Wright's goal either, he immediately went over to Wright & congratulated him thinking it was Wright's goal.

Screenshot_20231230-093501.png

Covcraig@bury

After the Leeds game I seen something about Simms , he might not be a Victor but he does pull defenders away leaving our attacking midfielders the opening to exploit them shooting options. Keep the faith he will come good very good .

slowpoke

After the Leeds game I seen something about Simms , he might not be a Victor but he does pull defenders away leaving our attacking midfielders the opening to exploit them shooting options. Keep the faith he will come good very good .
He might, hope he does but can we afford to wait when we want promotion this season at least I do, this idea it might be easier next season is for the birds.

Covcraig@bury

He might, hope he does but can we afford to wait when we want promotion this season at least I do, this idea it might be easier next season is for the birds.
I know what you’re saying Slowpoke but we’re still in a transition phase. He’s not hit the ground running as of yet but be patient I’m sure it will come . Remember we’re in the first year of our five year game plan. We’re doing alright and if Simms comes good from tomorrow and starts banging them in it’s a massive bonus.

skyblu3sk

It was physically impossible to be offside, even if he went past the last defender he was never ahead of the ball at any time.

He did exactly the right thing, the angle of the header made it entirely possible it might bounce back off the inside of the post & he'd then be rightly lambasted for not making sure.

He clearly wasn't looking to "steal" Wright's goal either, he immediately went over to Wright & congratulated him thinking it was Wright's goal.

View attachment 33054
Already said on a number of occasions I may be being harsh but it is a risk and it was going in he would have been able to see that he could have toe poked it over or got a crap call against him but in the heat of the moment it is what it is. 1000005694.png

stevefloyd

By all accounts the Leeds performance shows he’s got it in him. Like after Rotherham second half though Robins has then rested/rotated him (albeit after Sunderland game) just when he’s getting some rhythm/confidence to his play.

Hopefully the goal will give him some confidence. Being in and out of the team hasn’t helped. The back four and wright have shown that playing regularly in a settled team has improved their performances no end

I also think Godden would be more useful coming off the bench when defenders are tiring anyway
Kin ell Godden coming on when defenders are tiring is that after the 700th minute ;)

Users who are viewing this thread