Simms (4 Viewers)

Evo1883

Simms could also be scoring against these tired defences?

Long story short , the balls into feet were the reason godden scored , not tired defenders .. service is a wonderful thing

ccfc1234

Shit that Simms will only ever be the one that tires them out.. could do with him bagging too
Agree he needs to be a 1 in 3 or 4 forward in that role. But given the new system I am happy we at least have one forward that has the attributes to tire defenders as without that we are currently quite lightweight form a physicality perspective up front.

Greggs

Simms could also be scoring against these tired defences?

Long story short , the balls into feet were the reason godden scored , not tired defenders .. service is a wonderful thing
Simms was tired though
Fresh vs Fresh
Tired vs Tired
Tired vs Fresh
Fresh vs Tired

Evo1883

Simms was tired though
Fresh vs Fresh
Tired vs Tired
Tired vs Fresh
Fresh vs Tired

Most Their players were fucked from about 45 on .. simms wasn't, didn't score

Also worth pointing out they put a fresh defender on at 45

It's service though ultimately why matty godden scored 2 and simms didn't

Martin180

I think he's doing a great job of getting us high up the pitch and creating space for others . Yes he needs goals but while others around him are contributing then we can be patient
He's still very raw but is starting to use his physicality better , see the second goal Saturday. Next season we will see him improve further

Brighton Sky Blue

Most Their players were fucked from about 45 on .. simms wasn't, didn't score

Also worth pointing out they put a fresh defender on at 45

It's service though ultimately why matty godden scored 2 and simms didn't
Not like the team weren’t trying to play Simms in mind you

Evo1883

Not like the team weren’t trying to play Simms in mind you
His runs were too wide every time .. weren't they ? He also hesitated several times to make the correct runs between defenders to put him through ..

Half of ellis simms issues are his own .. he can learn sure ,hopefully he does

I think it's safe to say fans won't forever be happy with him just occupying a defender , especially if we don't get results , plenty of time to get it right ( 3 and a half years )

Martin180

His runs were too wide every time .. weren't they ? He also hesitated several times to make the correct runs between defenders to put him through ..

Half of ellis simms issues are his own .. he can learn sure ,hopefully he does

I think it's safe to say fans won't forever be happy with him just occupying a defender , especially if we don't get results , plenty of time to get it right ( 3 and a half years )
You can see he's learning on the job so to speak . He has a great coaching team at the club to bring the best out of him , so hopefully he continues to improve and listen . I'm convinced he's going to be a very good number 9 given time , look where Vik was at a similar time in his career .
One thing I like about him is he never shirks away or hides , he's always involved and he seems to have a good rapport with the other players

Hertsccfc

You can see he's learning on the job so to speak . He has a great coaching team at the club to bring the best out of him , so hopefully he continues to improve and listen . I'm convinced he's going to be a very good number 9 given time , look where Vik was at a similar time in his career .
One thing I like about him is he never shirks away or hides , he's always involved and he seems to have a good rapport with the other players
Gyokeres wasn't ready when he first arrived which is why he didn't play in every match like Simms has. We need another striker in to give him a chance to develop without playing every match.

Martin180

Gyokeres wasn't ready when he first arrived which is why he didn't play in every match like Simms has. We need another striker in to give him a chance to develop without playing every match.
Agree with you but the new signing needs to be a similar sort of player .

Seen enough of him now. Not good enough and no signs that he has the potential to be. Woeful footballer.
I have to agree, nothing from tonight would make me want to start him in the next game.

Massively missing confidence to shoot with composure, never gets a clean shot away.

Alkhen

Moved from the match thread, I stand by it:

I think Simms is a good target man. Absolutely needs to sort his confidence out and shoot but I actually thought his hold up play was good. Something none of our other strikers can do. Stick him in the middle with Tats and O'Hare running off him. Quality the way he held off that defender and laid the ball off perfectly for Allen who wasted it.

Last edited:

Saddlebrains

Hes shit

I've said this before but I still havent had anyone state what im saying is incorrect

First touch is shit
Cant run
When he manages to put his feet in front of the other he's like Bambi on ice
Cant shoot
So 1 footed its unbelievable
Never in the right place showing a 'strikers instinct'

Id only still start him because Goddens done

We need a striker or top 6 wont happen

SHUNT31

Moved from the match thread, I stand by it:

I think Simms is a good target man? Absolutely needs to sort his confidence out and shoot but I actually thought his hold up play was good. Something none of our other strikers can do. Stick him in the middle with Tats and O'Hare running off him. Quality the way he held off that defender and laid the ball off perfectly for Allen who wasted it.
How can he be a good target man? Nothing sticks to him. He can’t hold the ball up, if he runs the channel he can’t control it. He can’t finish. There’s literally nothing he offers us at the moment. Really hope he comes good but currently, he offers absolutely nothing.

What’s more frustrating is that if we had an Adam Armstrong type of player, we’d be so good. Simms (and Godden to an extent) not good enough for where we want to get to.

matesx

How long will MR persist with Simms and Godden?

Simply not good enough.

Desperately need a proper striker.

SHUNT31

Hes shit

I've said this before but I still havent had anyone state what im saying is incorrect

First touch is shit
Cant run
Cant shoot

Not sure I agree with the last bit, but we’d certainly be a better bet.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Hes shit

First touch is shit
Cant run
Cant shoot

Most of what you are saying is correct, but I expect it will trigger a few on here.

None of that is to say that he can't come good. He may well turn into a superstar. He is still very young and has a lot of time to develop. At the moment though he looks like a very underwhelming signing that cost a lot of money, and I'm not sure I can take any arguments that he's playing well particularly seriously.

Alkhen

How can he be a good target man? Nothing sticks to him. He can’t hold the ball up, if he runs the channel he can’t control it. He can’t finish. There’s literally nothing he offers us at the moment. Really hope he comes good but currently, he offers absolutely nothing.

What’s more frustrating is that if we had an Adam Armstrong type of player, we’d be so good. Simms (and Godden to an extent) not good enough for where we want to get to.
That is demonstrably bullshit! He held up nearly everything that was played to him. He made some decent passes to bring other players in. He harried their defence and caused chaos. But all anyone remembers (rightly) is that he absolutely fucked up that chance at the start of the 2nd half.

Looks so devoid of confidence. He needs a run through the middle without Godden and with O'Hare and Tats to be busy around him. He will come good if we don't break his spirts first

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread