Signings Incoming...... (1 Viewer)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Luke Jephcott at argyle, 14 goals in 20 games this season, 20 yrs old. With them coming up from league 2 you think it wouldn't take a lot to prise him away. Fits our mould as well.
Probably close to 2 million if not a bit more. We got 1.5 for mcnulty coming off the Back of one good league 2 season. And he was 27 if I recall. No way do you get Jephcott for less than that

Gibbo

Rather than just picking names, isn't it better to identify where the main needs are, and then decide whether those names being mooted fit the identified need? Just because a player may be good, doesn't men they meet a need. Or is that too sensible?

We want imho

1. Firepower up front - which crudely speaking can come in one of two guises - a big target guy or a poacher finisher. As we often play one up front with O'Hara playing off him, the former is the big missing - a classic, large, athletic, front man - Baka only a lot more physical.

2. Defensive midfield - a temporary Kelly replacement - difficult as that position is usually best occupied by an experienced head, rather than a classic loan.

I don't know enough about either Crowley or Clarke but on the face of it neither fits the brief. It is possible that Cowley could take Sheaf's place, as he has been too inconsistent, but that would still leave these two big gaps unfilled.

We should not panic. We're 17th on p.p.g. with one of the tightest Championship defences despite an inexperienced second string goalkeeper. In the summer we will have Hamer money....

cc84cov

Rather than just picking names, isn't it better to identify where the main needs are, and then decide whether those names being mooted fit the identified need? Just because a player may be good, doesn't men they meet a need. Or is that too sensible?

We want imho

1. Firepower up front - which crudely speaking can come in one of two guises - a big target guy or a poacher finisher. As we often play one up front with O'Hara playing off him, the former is the big missing - a classic, large, athletic, front man - Baka only a lot more physical.

2. Defensive midfield - a temporary Kelly replacement - difficult as that position is usually best occupied by an experienced head, rather than a classic loan.

I don't know enough about either Crowley or Clarke but on the face of it neither fits the brief. It is possible that Cowley could take Sheaf's place, as he has been too inconsistent, but that would still leave these two big gaps unfilled.

We should not panic. We're 17th on p.p.g. with one of the tightest Championship defences despite an inexperienced second string goalkeeper. In the summer we will have Hamer money....
Crowley is a attacking midfielder a No.10 and is small he’s not a cdm,imagine Jay Tabb but will a lot more skill lol

edgy

We want imho

We desperately need an attacking midfielder too. O'Hare needs competition. Crowley is that type, he not in Sheaf's role.

cc84cov

We desperately need an attacking midfielder too. O'Hare needs competition. Crowley is that type, he not in Sheaf's role.
Picks the ball up runs at players,has a low sense of gravity & very quick feet,he’s ideal for one of the attacking midfield slots behind the striker,Crowley & O’Hare behind a striker will cause teams all sorts of problems...Crowley is miles ahead of Shipley,Allen etc it’s not even close the lad is class.

Legia Sky Blue

Picks the ball up runs at players,has a low sense of gravity & very quick feet,he’s ideal for one of the attacking midfield slots behind the striker,Crowley & O’Hare behind a striker will cause teams all sorts of problems...Crowley is miles ahead of Shipley,Allen etc it’s not even close the lad is class.

So why can't he get a game for a very poor Birmingham side?

NortonSkyBlue

Maybe because the Birmingham managers have had a different opinion to our esteemed expert.
There are players that can knuckle down and graft, who you want when you are in the trenches and there are players that will shine in any team that enjoys a high percentage of possession. Crowley is perhaps the latter.

Last edited:

baldy

Maybe because the Birmingham managers have had a different opinion to our esteemed expert.
There are players that can knuckle down and graft, who you want when you are in the trenches and there are players that will shine in any team that enjoys a high percentage of possession. Crawley is perhaps the latter.

Crawley? How about us?

KenilworthSkyBlue

Karanka's comments from Birmingham Live today r.e. Crowley. Sometimes managers just don't like to use certain types players and vice versa as it conflicts with their preferred playing style and set-up.

“He is a really good professional and he deserves to be helped.

“I don’t think it is the quality, it’s nothing against him, the opposite, everything I can say about him is good things.

"But it is something that I prefer to play with other players – just like this.”

SlowerThanPlatt

He has done nothing in his career so far to be called “class”. Played 50 games in England for 3 clubs and been let go/sent back by all 3.

AOM

Standard goals/assists youtube compilation (compulsory shite music included), but does look pretty decent

shmmeee

We want imho

You want to drop the DM we signed to replace Kelly and sign another? Why?

Legia Sky Blue

There are players that can knuckle down and graft, who you want when you are in the trenches and there are players that will shine in any team that enjoys a high percentage of possession. Crawley is perhaps the latter.

Yes, fair enough. I'm just slightly wary of the 'Cov lad' being bigged up by his mates scenario. I don't remember ever seeing him play so am relying on second hand reports to be honest. From those reports I have read it seems that while he has undoubted individual ability, he has struggled to apply that for the benefit of the team as a whole. It does appear that his style of play would be more suited to us than Birmingham, and if MR wants to sign him then that will be good enough for me.

Great_Expectations

Crowley definitely has ability, no question about that in my view. He developed a slight attitude over the years, but as I said before, if he’s playing and managed well he’ll be an asset.

MR’s track record in similar situations is promising; he got the best of Bright who as we’ve all seen has zero professionalism, Crowley is nothing like that.

Crowley and O’Hare attacking, with Hamer and Kelly/Sheaf covering, recycling and distributing the ball, is a strong midfield four.

With the right striker it’s even better.

mark82

He has done nothing in his career so far to be called “class”. Played 50 games in England for 3 clubs and been let go/sent back by all 3.

I'm not sure that you can take loans when he was 17/18 as proof of anything.

Regarding Birmingham, played most games last season under Clotet. Karanka has said recently about him being talented and professional.but not fitting his style (essentially prefers more defensive midfielders). He'd be a good fit for our system if it were true.

NorthernWisdom

I'm not sure that you can take loans when he was 17/18 as proof of anything.

Regarding Birmingham, played most games last season under Clotet. Karanka has said recently about him being talented and professional.but not fitting his style (essentially prefers more defensive midfielders). He'd be a good fit for our system if it were true.
If you can't take loans as a barmoter, equally you can't take comments about how professional he is, from a manager who wants the player gone, as reliable.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Crowley definitely has ability, no question about that in my view. He developed a slight attitude over the years, but as I said before, if he’s playing and managed well he’ll be an asset.

MR’s track record in similar situations is promising; he got the best of Bright who as we’ve all seen has zero professionalism, Crowley is nothing like that.

Crowley and O’Hare attacking, with Hamer and Kelly/Sheaf covering, recycling and distributing the ball, is a strong midfield four.

With the right striker it’s even better.

I'm not sure the attitude problem is even as much of an issue as it was in years gone by. Crowley himself even admitted in the press last year that his attitude probably wasn't the best at previous clubs, especially when he wasn't getting game time, but has matured and realised being vocal in the wrong way can get you into trouble.

Last edited:

Great_Expectations

Sheaf is good player, who i think with time will get better. Dunno what so many have against the guy, we have worse players who don't take half as much shit.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Because fans don’t like players who subtly contribute and recycle the ball. Hamer is loved as he stands out with his Hollywood balls and long range efforts (and on the whole he is another level!). Sheaf sits slightly deeper but can have a positive influence on the game.

It also doesn’t help that Sheaf has quite a languid and ponderous style - not dissimilar from Kelly - which can give the wrong impression.

And to be fair he has made a few high profile mistakes, which unfortunately stick in the memory and overshadow the good stuff.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Users who are viewing this thread