Signings Incoming...... (4 Viewers)

TomRad85

Because fans don’t like players who subtly contribute and recycle the ball. Hamer is loved as he stands out with his Hollywood balls and long range efforts (and on the whole he is another level!). Sheaf sits slightly deeper but can have a positive influence on the game.

It also doesn’t help that Sheaf has quite a languid and ponderous style - not dissimilar from Kelly - which can give the wrong impression.

And to be fair he has made a few high profile mistakes, which unfortunately stick in the memory and overshadow the good stuff.
Yep, it's all stuff we've gone over many times before tbf but does my head in every time.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Evo1883

Because fans don’t like players who subtly contribute and recycle the ball. Hamer is loved as he stands out with his Hollywood balls and long range efforts (and on the whole he is another level!). Sheaf sits slightly deeper but can have a positive influence on the game.

It also doesn’t help that Sheaf has quite a languid and ponderous style - not dissimilar from Kelly - which can give the wrong impression.

And to be fair he has made a few high profile mistakes, which unfortunately stick in the memory and overshadow the good stuff.
With all that in mind, why do fans love Liam Kelly?

KenilworthSkyBlue

Karanka would say that wouldn't he if he wants rid of him

Not necessarily. He could just not say anything at all or divert and follow a different narrative. He wasn't specifically questioned about Crowley's attitude, he was asked the simple question of whether or not he thought he was likely to leave.

The idea that he must be lying because he wants rid is just complete speculation and slightly ridiculous in my opinion.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Not necessarily. He could just not say anything at all or divert and follow a different narrative. He wasn't specifically questioned about Crowley's attitude, he was asked the simple question of whether or not he thought he was likely to leave.

The idea that he must be lying because he wants rid is just complete speculation and slightly ridiculous in my opinion.
The idea that he must be telling the truth and managers don't lie is equally ridiculous.

All managers do it, it's very rare you get a manager come out and slam a player publicly. On the rare occasions it happens it is usually where the club wants to keep the player and is looking to get a positive reaction out of the player.

It's the typical sound bite from a manager, truth is that all managers are lying probably 40-60% of the time when they come and say so and so is a great professional with a superb attitude and bla bla bla

KenilworthSkyBlue

The idea that he must be telling the truth and managers don't lie is equally ridiculous.

All managers do it, it's very rare you get a manager come out and slam a player publicly. On the rare occasions it happens it is usually where the club wants to keep the player and is looking to get a positive reaction out of the player.

It's the typical sound bite from a manager, truth is that all managers are lying probably 40-60% of the time when they come and say so and so is a great professional with a superb attitude and bla bla bla

I didn't say they never lie?

Again, your entire point is complete speculation. Attempting to prove your tin foil hat argument with garbage statistics doesn't make it any more accurate. What does Karanka gain from saying he's a good kid and trains well?

skybluesam66

or unless the manager is called Jose

better days

Karanka's comments from Birmingham Live today r.e. Crowley. Sometimes managers just don't like to use certain types players and vice versa as it conflicts with their preferred playing style and set-up.

“He is a really good professional and he deserves to be helped.

“I don’t think it is the quality, it’s nothing against him, the opposite, everything I can say about him is good things.

"But it is something that I prefer to play with other players – just like this.”
The thing about our current squad is we have a lot of similar players
Decent, hard working with good attitudes but not likely to do things that bring you out of your seat
The whole league knows that our main outlets to make things happen are O'Hare and to a slightly lesser extent Hamer
I can imagine their team talks before playing us being all about stopping those two playing
Even when Giles is playing he's quick and talented but fairly predictable once you've seen him play a few times
It appears that this lad Crowley could bring a bit of creativity and keep opponents guessing on what he's going to do when he gets the ball which is just what we need really

Last edited:

Great_Expectations

Decent, hard working with good attitudes but not likely to do things that bring you out of your seat
The whole league knows that our main outlets to make things happen are O'Hare and to a slightly lesser extent Hamer
I can imagine their team talks before playing us being all out stopping those two playing
Even when Giles is playing he's quick and talented but fairly predictable once you've seen him play a few times
It appears that this lad Crowley could bring a bit of creativity and keep opponents guessing on what he's going to do when he gets the ball which is just what we need really

Can we take this post as confirmation you’ve now heard something too, and therefore we can all get excited?!

cc84cov

They paid £750k 18 months ago. I suspect they'll want to get most of that back.
He’s out of contract in the summer but they have an option for another year...£500k would do it I imagine but then wages ? He’s on 12k a week ?

cc84cov

Brum rested him last season against us in the cup...he was a main player for them he doesn’t play down to the manager not fancying him when all fans want the lad in the side....

Gibbo

Karanka's comments from Birmingham Live today r.e. Crowley. Sometimes managers just don't like to use certain types players and vice versa as it conflicts with their preferred playing style and set-up.

“He is a really good professional and he deserves to be helped.

“I don’t think it is the quality, it’s nothing against him, the opposite, everything I can say about him is good things.

"But it is something that I prefer to play with other players – just like this.”
Sounds like a sales pitch to get rid of him

SleepyGinger

He’s out of contract in the summer but they have an option for another year...£500k would do it I imagine but then wages ? He’s on 12k a week ?

karanka has literally said he is free to leave we won’t be paying anywhere near that.

Gibbo

The comparison with Bright is not necessarily positive. He was a lovely player to watch, and scored a couple of good goals, but I thought he pulled the midfield out of shape. It ceased being a team, and became all about him. So, for all Robins ability to get results out of difficult players, I would beware.

hamil99

Facebook User
I guess Sheaf would of played with Crowley at Arsenal, similar age. Surely Robins would of had a chat and asked what his character is like, with the lad who played with him.

BUSA

Crowley would be an extra option to play in midfield as cover/competition for Allen, O’Hare & Shipley. It would also free up Allen or Hamer to play a deeper role but still have a good passer in our midfield, A player like Clarke or Mendez-Laing would be a replacement for Jones, Kasteneer & Jobello. It would let us loan out a few fringe players to get game time.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I didn't say they never lie?

Again, your entire point is complete speculation. Attempting to prove your tin foil hat argument with garbage statistics doesn't make it any more accurate. What does Karanka gain from saying he's a good kid and trains well?
To drum up interest and get him off the wage bill at brum

Jamesimus

Crowley would be an extra option to play in midfield as cover/competition for Allen, O’Hare & Shipley. It would also free up Allen or Hamer to play a deeper role but still have a good passer in our midfield, A player like Clarke or Mendez-Laing would be a replacement for Jones, Kasteneer & Jobello. It would let us loan out a few fringe players to get game time.

Hasn't Hamer been playing mainly in a deeper role other than for 2 games?

KenilworthSkyBlue

The comparison with Bright is not necessarily positive. He was a lovely player to watch, and scored a couple of good goals, but I thought he pulled the midfield out of shape. It ceased being a team, and became all about him. So, for all Robins ability to get results out of difficult players, I would beware.

Robins getting the most out of difficult players is a complete myth. If he doesn't like a player or believes they aren't pulling their weight he's repeatedly shown that he'll freeze them out of the first team picture and move them on.

Bright is the only 'difficult' player he got the best out of and that was solely because he let him do as he pleased. I suspect if Bright had signed permanently he wouldn't have lasted long at the club as he would've been held to a much higher standard.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I can imagine their team talks before playing us being all out stopping those two playing

Agreed, we definitely need that 'spark' in the AM role where a player can get into pockets of space, pick a pass, produce a bit of magic and provide an extra link between midfield and attack. Given that Shipley/Allen have both struggled in the other AM position, this has consequently left O'Hare completely isolated at times and as he is quite clearly targeted by the opposition it's often difficult for him to gain a foothold in games and exert his quality. Essentially, he's relied upon to provide creativity on his own.

Someone of Crowley's technical ability would inevitably split the focus of opposition defenders, bring O'Hare into the game more and of course help create/score more goals.

The Philosopher

12k per week makes him a contractual liability if they have no intent on ever playing him.

He can sit around and cost £300k-£400k (with ni and ins and bits and bobs) or they can release him for a sell-on-fee clause and maybe contribute a bit towards his wages.

Ie.

Cov sign him on a free with a sell on

Cov pay, say, 8k/ week.

B’ham pay a lump to Crowley to make up for the 4K/week shortfall on his contract.

just a guess.

cc84cov

12k per week makes him a contractual liability if they have no intent on ever playing him.

He can sit around and cost £300k-£400k (with ni and ins and bits and bobs) or they can release him for a sell-on-fee clause and maybe contribute a bit towards his wages.

Ie.

Cov sign him on a free with a sell on

Cov pay, say, 8k/ week.

B’ham pay a lump to Crowley to make up for the 4K/week shortfall on his contract.

just a guess.
If this lockdown comes in and football stops I don’t see anyone coming in 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread