Shipley (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

I’m not having a tantrum , im not angry we lost , I’m pissed off with HOW we lost and yet again another 80+ minutes of garbage from Shipley. He wasn’t the only one who had a bad night and wasn’t the biggest reason why we lost admittedly.

But it’s every single week with him. Kelly and Hyam have come up from league two with us , Hyam is certainly having a tough time at the moment but has been good for over half of the season. Kelly is instrumental for us.

Shipley is awful , every single game at this level
Shipley wasnt the reason we got beat tonight.. Shipley isn't having a good season... I agree.. That's not the problem

Nick

Administrator
There is always room for sentiment when your clubs history has been as depressing and shit as ours..these people helped turn the club around, the club we all thought would go bust and into non league... There's always room for sentiment
Play him or not, we can still have some respect for the young lad
Did we all think we would go bust and non league though?

Don't agree with the over the top personal stuff, no need but football wise he's been shocking.

Evo1883

Did we all think we would go bust and non league though?
Ok nick no, not every Coventry city fan on planet earth thought we would go bust and into non league... Many of us did think there was every chance this club could have gone in that direction..

I'd place a bet not many of us thought we'd be back in the championship in 3 years though... Even 10 years?

Our trend was one way, sat at Rochdale away celebrating a shot and genuinely thinking we were fucked as a club

Covkid1968#

Well said Evo1883......completely agree with your posts on Shippers. The lad needs support and a chance to get his head in the right space. That should probably take the form of not being in the starting 11....rather than having personal abuse.

Liquid Gold

It's becoming increasingly clear why there are more yo-yo teams between Championship and League 1 than League 1 and League 2, the quality is just miles apart. As we can't build a Championship squad in one summer we have to rely on players who aren't quite up to the standard, Shipley is unfortunately one of these. If we stay up he'll likely be moved on.

Evo1883

It's becoming increasingly clear why there are more yo-yo teams between Championship and League 1 than League 1 and League 2, the quality is just miles apart. As we can't build a Championship squad in one summer we have to rely on players who aren't quite up to the standard, Shipley is unfortunately one of these. If we stay up he'll likely be moved on.

This I agree with, we needed a team to stay up... And will strengthen but over the course of 2/3 seasons... We don't have the luxury of millions being pumped in, we're also still playing away from our home city...

Time, patience needed to become a cemented championship club again

It's not stressed enough the financial disparity between us and most clubs in this league

larry_david

The way he's playing he's lucky there's no crowds at the moment.

Big fan but football is a ruthless sport and at the moment he's not cutting it close

rexo87

We are allowed to say when a player is playing shite and he simply is. The ironic thing is that I didn’t even think tonight was one of his worst games this season and that says it all.

On a side note Robins/coaching staff have to be better. The box formation does not work against good sides. We have no outlet and one person in the box when our wing backs have the ball who are our best attacking threat. The box formation does work against shite sides like Millwall who play a simple flat 4 in midfield as it means we can get the AM’s in behind their midfield and making runs beyond the back 4. This is the only thing Shipley is any good at (think Millwall this season, Wycombe away last year for Goddens hattrick, Shipleys goal against I think it was AFC Wimbledon last season). Unfortunately there are only a small handful of sides in the championship that this works against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garryb80

Think a lot on here are looking the wrong way he does not pick the team the manager does both Shipley and Hyam are struggling but Mark keeps picking them. Please stop the abuse even if they don't read this site family or friends will.
Surely if someone deserves criticism they shouldn't complain when they get it. Too many people on here are so sensitive and want to falsely heap praise on players instead of accepting whats actually happening

Torquay Sky Blue

Think a lot on here are looking the wrong way he does not pick the team the manager does both Shipley and Hyam are struggling but Mark keeps picking them. Please stop the abuse even if they don't read this site family or friends will.
As you're on first name terms, please tell Mark to stop picking him. He's not up to this level and its becoming clear to see.

stevefloyd

Every manager needs to show faith in his players, they are the ones ultimately that keep them in a job or not and I guess they think that sooner or later the player who is having a bad time will come out the other side and their game will improve, Hyam is one that is struggling atm, he is costing goals almost in every match just lately, so what does the manager do? Drop him...haven't really got a replacement for Hyam, also it would change the way Robins wants to play with 3 central defenders if he was to change to a back 4 so unfortunately for Hyam he has to hope he comes out of the other side. Shipley is a different kettle of fish, he just isn't putting the effort in, I am sure most on here would accept Shipleys poor games if he was battling ...He is not ! but for some strange reason Robins keeps picking him, probably in the hope he will pop up with a goal. Max and certainly Baka are not up to the standard and are clearly struggling but with all great managers they can get extra out of their players by instilling belief in them, as much as I like Robins he doesn't fit into the mould of a great manager although he has dome some pretty remarkable things for this club, lets keep our fingers crossed Robins finds some secret to unlock the potential in some of these players and their performances improve!

cc84cov

Robins was talking about 1 up front helps us not get passed around ? We had 10 men out there with shipley

rob9872

I've tried not to bite as I know I'll be accused of a Shippers lover again, but he really wasn't as bad as some made out, who wanted him to fail before minute 1 (you only have to look at the pile on with the match thread).

He wasn't great and he's struggled at lots of times this season with the step up to the Championship, but he's far from alone and still has improvement in him. Could he be involved more, absolutely I think he could, but I certainly don't think it's through lack of effort as some suggest on this thread.

I can't remember all that he did in the first half, but off the top of my head: the ball across for McCallum in a great area, the knock back for Hamer to shoot, the corner he won trying to cross after Sam's knockdown, the tackle he won out wide resulting in Homes getting booked, the pass back on his wrong foot when criticised for not shooting but kept possession (see later when also critiscised for a wayward shot) and countless running in the passing channels meaning they had to play backwards or to the side. Despite this, there were numerous calls about how he was to be replaced at half time and so many couldn't believe still there, mentioning it every few posts until he was withdrawn.

Ignoring all that that, despite shocking performances from others here we are again with another few pages on him. I don't start threads on players as it's better to support, but last night alone Fadz made two unnecessary challenges to get sent off, O'hare offered little and missed a gilt edged chance, Wilson arguably should have been braver on the first and certainly shouldn't have been beaten there for the third, Osti missed a header and gave a sloppy ball resulting in Fadz diving in, Hyam had a shocker as has been mentioned, the new lad up top had a stinker, but can be excused as first game and the service to him was woeful, Hamer's passing was off for large parts of the game and I'm not sure what James was doing, looked to hold the Kelly role but often played the wrong ball.

As fans of the club despite what you think of player a or b, surely you want them to do well? The gulf is massive from L1 to the Championship, but we've seen glimpses of him particularly in the Swansea and Millwall games and I'm sure if he was supported when selected rather than rounded on it would help. He doesn't pick the team, you can fairly argue that he shouldn't be in, but if he is selected and you disagree, then surely you round on the untouchable manager for selecting him? I'd play if picked, I'm sure you would too, but despite giving 100% we'd look miles off it not reading the right runs or having the time to do anything. As for the personal stuff when there are numerous threads telling each other to be nice etc and a proper love in, then one of our own or not, that's disgraceful and there's simply no need for it.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Go on twitter, ask Shipley if Robins is fingering his mum... And see
Go tell Shipley that Robins must be fingering his mum for him to get picked because he's wank... And see

I totally get that personal abuse is not acceptable, but I feel like you are going a bit over the top in your defence of him.

I personally wouldn't mind if we had a player lacking in ability but at least tried as hard as they could, but he genuinely doesn't seem arsed at all. It is like playing with 10 men each week and it is bizarre that Robins keeps picking him. It worries me greatly.

Littlewood CCFC

I've tried not to bite as I know I'll be accused of a Shippers lover again, but he really wasn't as bad as some made out, who wanted him to fail before minute 1 (you only have to look at the pile on with the match thread).

He wasn't great and he's struggled at lots of times this season with the step up to the Championship, but he's far from alone and still has improvement in him. Could he be involved more, absolutely I think he could, but I certainly don't think it's through lack of effort as some suggest on this thread.

I can't remember all that he did in the first half, but off the top of my head: the ball across for McCallum in a great area, the knock back for Hamer to shoot, the corner he won trying to cross after Sam's knockdown, the tackle he won out wide resulting in Homes getting booked, the pass back on his wrong foot when criticised for not shooting but kept possession (see later when also critiscised for a wayward shot) and countless running in the passing channels meaning they had to play backwards or to the side. Despite this, there were numerous calls about how he was to be replaced at half time and so many couldn't believe still there, mentioning it every few posts until he was withdrawn.

Ignoring all that that, despite shocking performances from others here we are again with another few pages on him. I don't start threads on players as it's better to support, but last night alone Fadz made two unnecessary challenges to get sent off, O'hare offered little and missed a gilt edged chance, Wilson arguably should have been braver on the first and certainly shouldn't have been beaten there for the third, Osti missed a header and gave a sloppy ball resulting in Fadz diving in, Hyam had a shocker as has been mentioned, the new lad up top had a stinker, but can be excused as first game and the service to him was woeful, Hamer's passing was off for large parts of the game and I'm not sure what James was doing, looked to hold the Kelly role but often played the wrong ball.

As fans of the club despite what you think of player a or b, surely you want them to do well? The gulf is massive from L1 to the Championship, but we've seen glimpses of him particularly in the Swansea and Millwall games and I'm sure if he was supported when selected rather than rounded on it would help. He doesn't pick the team, you can fairly argue that he shouldn't be in, but if he is selected and you disagree, then surely you round on the untouchable manager for selecting him? I'd play if picked, I'm sure you would too, but despite giving 100% we'd look miles off it not reading the right runs or having the time to do anything. As for the personal stuff when there are numerous threads telling each other to be nice etc and a proper love in, then one of our own or not, that's disgraceful and there's simply no need for it.
5mYxAUy.jpg

rob9872

I totally get that personal abuse is not acceptable, but I feel like you are going a bit over the top in your defence of him.

I personally wouldn't mind if we had a player lacking in ability but at least tried as hard as they could, but he genuinely doesn't seem arsed at all. It is like playing with 10 men each week and it is bizarre that Robins keeps picking him. It worries me greatly.
Do you genuinely believe Robins would allow a player not to be trying and keep him there? I see this levelled a lot, the same with lack of fitness and yet the stats constantly say for time on the pitch he covers more ground than anyone else in the team. I think this is particularly more so with games on TV rather than live when all of the work off the screen up and down the passing channels is not shown and you don't get the complete picture.

JulianDarbyFTW

He does play a key part in the formation - he has a little partnership with McCallum, where he shows the player outside and McCallum is already on the guy before he knows it. It's part of how we press and win the ball back, and it frequently works. But he isn't asking for the ball in attacking positions at the moment, so he doesn't look like he's involved. He may well be making little runs and movements to make space for others, but regardless, it doesn't look like he wants the ball. He's been one of my favourite players for the last couple of seasons, so I always try to see the positives, but he does seem like a duck out of water at times so far this term.

Adge

All singing his name at Notts County?

By all means talk about his season but fuck me, these lads have given everything for 3 years give it a rest ffs...

Has he been good this season? No... Does he deserve fans taking about his mum being fingered and how wank he is on here? No..

Get a grip... Half you cunts be on the mental health thread talking about how much things are getting to you and how it's good to be nice etc and your on here slagging a young lad off who probably knows he's not doing well, but could do without being rundown by fans who only 12 months ago sang his name every week.

He's Coventry, his family are Coventry, he deserves better than to be spoken about like this

Bellends
He’s from Leamington squire. Just for the record his dad is a massive Liverpool fan (and Celtic aswell).

Nick

Administrator
Do you genuinely believe Robins would allow a player not to be trying and keep him there? I see this levelled a lot, the same with lack of fitness and yet the stats constantly say for time on the pitch he covers more ground than anyone else in the team. I think this is particularly more so with games on TV rather than live when all of the work off the screen up and down the passing channels is not shown and you don't get the complete picture.

Maybe he has missed the embarrassing lack of effort?

I could cover ground all day. I very much he's covering more than every other player on the pitch.

He was an average player in a very good league 1 side now he's exposed as a shite player in a shite championship side. Bloke offers absolutely nothing and gets a free pass from most fans cos he's "one of our own". Best thing about him being binned off will mean that shite Allez Allez song stops as well!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

steve101

It's true that TV footage doesn't give a proper indication of work off the ball. However, although the lack of end product frustrates me with O'Hare, it is very clear that he gives the team everything and in every game. There is no hint of a lack of endeavour on his part. This then gives some balance to his appraisals. Shipley does not demonstrate this, which for me is why I am so surprised he continues to be selected.

Paxman II

Football is not rocket science. Even the best footballers have a bad time which makes you wonder. But when you are in a position like us wanting to stay up at all cost then you can't wait around for a player to come good. Shipley is one of those who has an ability few have in so much he ghost in behind the striker and pops up with a goal usually. That has not been happening recently and the other part of his game, tackling back, running etc is just not him. So for now I would drop him and look to change the system slightly and maybe consider a 4-4-2 becuase our collective quality is there in hamer, Sheaf, James, O'hare as the backbone. I think O'Hare would also benefit in a 4-4-2

Sick Boy

Well said Evo1883......completely agree with your posts on Shippers. The lad needs support and a chance to get his head in the right space. That should probably take the form of not being in the starting 11....rather than having personal abuse.
Shouldn’t that apply to Bakayoko too then? And every other player?
No need for the personal abuse but he’s not up to this standard. If sentiment is more important that progression then ok, but we need to put the club first.

Covkid1968#

No need for the personal abuse but he’s not up to this standard. If sentiment is more important that progression then ok, but we need to put the club first.
Yes.. the progress of our club always comes first
We know that we can count on one hand the players who can cut it in the Championship . Some aren’t ours

We also know we have players who sit between L1 and the Championship.... and we will need to make the decisions on these in the next few months.

it’s those whoclearly sit in the L1 pigeon hole that we treat with respect by releasing them/ selling them with our thanks and best wishes.

rob9872

I agree and I think Baka deserves support too as I have posted on the thread about him. Whilst they're our players they all deserve support. After that we say thanks and both move on. Unfortunately it seems an unhealthy percentage of our fanbase take pleasure in the failure of others and almost want them to play poorly to have a rant or to be bitter wbout how useless they are/were once they've left. I don't think there is a single post on here claiming Ships should start or even saying that he has been consistently up to the required standard, but saying stuff about him or his family and even suggesting a lack of effort is grossly unfair and unnecessary. We all have players we rate more highly than others and vice versa, but some seem to want to be vindicated in the I told you so stakes about who is the shittest in a Top Trumps style of crapness.

jordan210

I find it odd that he was Dragged off at Wycombe before half time but now is a constant starter. All a bit odd

Users who are viewing this thread