Match Thread Sheffield Wednesday (2 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

What’s your point?
A manager is never going to say there are easy games in public. It makes a rod for his own back and players complacent. It doesn't take a football genius to work out some games should however be easier than others.

mrtrench

Just for clarity I am pete and live in styvechale but I’m not pete from styvechale

Frankly I find that very difficult to believe. Pete is such an unusual and rare name and Styvechale such a small place, that the chance of two Petes living there must be tiny.

procdoc

A manager is never going to say there are easy games in public. It makes a rod for his own back and players complacent. It doesn't take a football genius to work out some games should however be easier than others.
Point to me an easy game for Coventry in the championship. We are a team full of players with very little experience at this level.

procdoc

Did I say easy or did I say easier?
The point is we have no divine right to think any games are easy or easier. Bournemouth etc can afford to look at games like that because they have arguably a premier league standard squad but if we lose on Saturday it’ll not be considered a shock to the neutral by any stretch

Liquid Gold

The point is we have no divine right to think any games are easy or easier. Bournemouth etc can afford to look at games like that because they have arguably a premier league standard squad but if we lose on Saturday it’ll not be considered a shock to the neutral by any stretch
Did we have a divine right to think games we're easier when we were in league 2? If no then nothing has changed in the championship and if yes you're calling robins a liar.

procdoc

Did we have a divine right to think games we're easier when we were in league 2? If no then nothing has changed in the championship and if yes you're calling robins a liar.
We were one of the promotion favourites so we inevitably looked at some games as easier. Robins quite rightly didn’t say as such but we as fans looked at games against the likes of Barnet as games we should win.

Liquid Gold

We were one of the promotion favourites so we inevitably looked at some games as easier. Robins quite rightly didn’t say as such but we as fans looked at games against the likes of Barnet as games we should win.
But MR said there were no easy games then. If he was lying then he could be lying now!?

Sky Blue Harry H

I think Pulis’s first game as a manager was as Gillingham boss and came to HR in the league cup and won 1-0.

I was at that - it was awful (I want to say Gordon Strachan was manager at the time, but my memory is thankfully hazy)

the rumpo kid

Must say I'm a bit worried about central midfield tomorrow without Kelly and hamer , I know sheaf is a good player and has great potential but he hasn't been very good lately . And I'm concerned about ball winning , might see ships in the middle ? Not sure how this will work.

Brighton Sky Blue

Apologies that was a typo. I meant 5-4-1/5-3-2. 4-3-3 isn't an option in my view as we just don't have the wingers at our disposal with the exception to perhaps Giles. There's a question mark over whether Jobello could meet the standard required at this level even if fit and both Hillsner and Kastaneer are unlikely to feature anytime soon. The box formation is interesting and something that would accommodate our midfielders well. It would also give the full backs license to go forward. The only issue would be that we have wing backs, not full backs.

As I've previously said, the formation wasn't the primary issue with us conceding goals - it was a factor but it wasn't the overarching reason. Agreed. Although I like him, I personally can't understand the logic behind recruiting Walker. We obviously needed another striker, but Walker is as you say a poacher. Given the way we play it would've made far more sense to recruit a player in the mould of John Marquis (but not him as I doubt whether he would be able to cut it in the Championship). Walker is quite similar to Godden in many ways, just more athletic.

Personally I think it's difficult to include Norwich in your argument. By my count they had over 13 players out injured including all senior strikers. It was still always going to be a tough game but that certainly provided us with a significant advantage going into the game - especially as their main attacking threats didn't feature. I think this is probably why Robins reverted back to utilising wing backs. I do think two up top is the way forward though, as seen in previous games launching balls up to Walker with no support only serves to gift the ball back to the opposition. Walker has a knack for picking up second balls quickly and chasing down flick ons, so a pairing of him and Biamou is certainly the more logical option moving forward.

Their starting 11 was still more than strong enough and don't forget we were without Godden and had just had our first choice keeper put out for 6 weeks. We had to start a semi-fit Dabo and replace him with Jobello at RWB, it's not as though we had an array of riches for that game. Am I then allowed to discount some of those draws against sides in poor form?

Brighton Sky Blue

Johhny Blue

Frankly I find that very difficult to believe. Pete is such an unusual and rare name and Styvechale such a small place, that the chance of two Petes living there must be tiny.
When is the next Styvechale census due? That should clear things up

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No games are easy and approaching any game as such would bite us on the backside.

But of course we can see some as 'easier' than others. For example playing Bournemouth is not going to be considered as difficult as Wycombe. Neither are easy, but you'd definitely be expecting one of those games to be easier than the other.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Their starting 11 was still more than strong enough and don't forget we were without Godden and had just had our first choice keeper put out for 6 weeks. We had to start a semi-fit Dabo and replace him with Jobello at RWB, it's not as though we had an array of riches for that game. Am I then allowed to discount some of those draws against sides in poor form?

How was it when their attacking potency was practically all but void with Pukki and Buendia out? Not forgetting other crucial players such as Krul, McClean, Cantwell being absent as well. Baring in mind Pukki and Buendia have scored 6 out of the 9 goals Norwich have netted since playing against us, it's quite clear how vital both players are to the success of the side. Even Farke said in his post match comments after the game he wasn't all that surprised with the result due to their injury troubles.

Are you claiming that Norwich side was as strong in front of goal as both Bournemouth and Watford were then?

procdoc

But MR said there were no easy games then. If he was lying then he could be lying now!?
He wasn’t lying on either occasion. The objectives are different this time and the standard of opposition is of a higher quality. No manager has ever said that a game should be easy. It’s the fact that some of you expect us to walk through teams like we’re Barcelona that makes me chuckle

Brighton Sky Blue

How was it when their attacking potency was practically all but void with Pukki and Buendia out? Not forgetting other crucial players such as Krul, McClean, Cantwell being absent as well. Baring in mind Pukki and Buendia have scored 6 out of the 9 goals Norwich have netted since playing against us, it's quite clear how vital both players are to the success of the side. Even Farke said in his post match comments after the game he wasn't all that surprised with the result due to their injury troubles.

Are you claiming that Norwich side was as strong in front of goal as both Bournemouth and Watford were then?

It wasn't, but it was still a strong 11. As above, which other games am I allowed to say 'don't count'? Since the break we haven't conceded from open play with 5 at the back. It kind of supports what we have both said that the shape wasn't the main issue.

fernandopartridge

I've seen us win at Hillsborough twice I think, the 99 game with Huckerby or Whelan scoring a winner, think the latter and approximately 2009 when Clinton Morrison scored.
I also went in December 2007 when the game got abandoned due to rain, I missed the last fast train back to Manchester pissed up so ended up with a big taxi fare from Manc.

Brighton Sky Blue

I've seen us win at Hillsborough twice I think, the 99 game with Huckerby or Whelan scoring a winner, think the latter and approximately 2009 when Clinton Morrison scored.
I also went in December 2007 when the game got abandoned due to rain, I missed the last fast train back to Manchester pissed up so ended up with a big taxi fare from Manc.

Never seen us play there but did see us get completely mugged off at the red ones under Micky Adams in 2005

procdoc

I went to Hillsborough in the mid nineties but for the life of me I cannot remember the result

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We sat off a team devoid of confidence and allowed them to get into their stride only to be saved by a last minute goal. It was hardly a success. At the time they were the lowest scorers in the division and we sat ten men behind the ball against them. And still conceded.

I don’t believe in hiding from poor teams low on confidence. It gives them a boost. Better to get at them and try for an early goal to knock the stuffing out of them.

I get that some think we’re the worst team in the league and should be grateful for every point, but I don’t agree. I think we’re a lower half Championship team and should act like it.

More to the point I worry that if we don’t open up a gap from the bottom three now when we’re on an easier run of games, we’ll be fucked come Feb.

That's absolutely spot on. Some people won't let you criticise the Derby game because they think we should be grateful to even be playing them in the first place.

If anything getting a point against us went some way to spurring on their confidence.

I get that our team is depleted at the moment, but we should have beaten Derby. In the end we very nearly lost.

I understand no one wants to lose tomorrow, but we have to be beating teams like Wednesday. I almost don't know if I want to watch.

Tommo1993

I went when they beat us 1 or 2-0. Think Darren Purse scored. Can’t put my finger on the year. Maybe 08/09, 09/10. And it was cold.

Drive past the ground quite a lot, there’s a delivery point of ours on Leppings Lane

Hertsccfc

I can think of a couple of other wins I saw at Hillsborough. The 1987 FA cup quarter and semi finals.

KenilworthSkyBlue

It wasn't, but it was still a strong 11. As above, which other games am I allowed to say 'don't count'? Since the break we haven't conceded from open play with 5 at the back. It kind of supports what we have both said that the shape wasn't the main issue.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. The fact they lost to Luton comfortably the game afterwards also indicates that they weren't anywhere near full strength and suffered significantly as a result of key players being absent. I don't quite know why you're quoting 'don't count' when I didn't actually post those words. I'm merely offering context to games which you seem to conveniently ignore.

What's the relevance of bringing up other results? Again, my response was to your attempt to shoehorn evidence into your argument without due consideration of the context.

Brighton Sky Blue

That's absolutely spot on. Some people won't let you criticise the Derby game because they think we should be grateful to even be playing them in the first place.

If anything getting a point against us went some way to spurring on their confidence.

I get that our team is depleted at the moment, but we should have beaten Derby. In the end we very nearly lost.

I understand no one wants to lose tomorrow, but we have to be beating teams like Wednesday. I almost don't know if I want to watch.

For better or worse, always watch.

clint van damme

We do not have to win tomorrow (be disappointed if we don't) but whatever happens we will go in to Christmas outside the bottom 3.

I'd have taken that at the start.

Brighton Sky Blue

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. The fact they lost to Luton comfortably the game afterwards also indicates that they weren't anywhere near full strength and suffered significantly as a result of key players being absent. I don't quite know why you're quoting 'don't count' when I didn't actually post those words. I'm merely offering context to games which you seem to conveniently ignore.

What's the relevance of bringing up other results? Again, my response was to your attempt to shoehorn evidence into your argument without due consideration of the context.

Ah, I see, I'm just confused because I keep getting told 'yeah but the result was x' whenever I try and bring context into other arguments. Like how we only lost against Forest because Max was a pillock right at the end. I was amusingly told (not by yourself) that Reading were in a false position so the win against them didn't really count. They're still in the playoffs. Rotherham are 'basically just a League 1 team' so the result against them wasn't that impressive.

You agreed with me above on the things I think are important anyway, so we'll leave it there.

Sky Blue Harry H

Brighton v Kenilworth sounds a lot softer than Portsmouth Docks v Wood End; now that I would pay to see :ROFLMAO:

clint van damme

I can think of a couple of other wins I saw at Hillsborough. The 1987 FA cup quarter and semi finals.

I was there when Oggy scored. And the game where they 5hrew loads of tracker bars into the crowd as a promotion (might have been the same game)

Grendel

Of course some games in league 2 given our squad were easier

Users who are viewing this thread