Match Thread Sheffield Wednesday (3 Viewers)

Gibbo

Without Kelly and Harmer and away from home, I'd go 5-4-1

The usual 5 at the back plus Sheaf, O'Hara, Allen and Shipley in midfield, Max up front. Then I'd sit back and scrap for a goalless draw as the basic aim, and it's a bonus if we nick a winner. Shit to watch, but who cares, there are no crowds.

In modified form this is basically what Robins has been doing throughout the unbeaten run.

Sky Blue Harry H

The usual 5 at the back plus Sheaf, O'Hara, Allen and Shipley in midfield, Max up front. Then I'd sit back and scrap for a goalless draw as the basic aim, and it's a bonus if we nick a winner. Shit to watch, but who cares, there are no crowds.

In modified form this is basically what Robins has been doing throughout the unbeaten run.
He might go that way, but with Hamer out, I'd really like Giles in to stretch them. Also think 2 up top and going longer quicker might be effective. What would frustrate me is if we go one up top, play without Giles, and use Shipley/Allen and allow them to get on top and gain confidence, Would really like to have a go tomorrow - but however MR sets up, he's earned the right to do it.

Gibbo

That dreaded sentence 'would really like to have a go' There is no evidence that Robins ever does that. The good results are because we have done the exact reverse to 'having a go'.

Sit back, pack the defence, get the draw. Job done.

Brighton Sky Blue

That dreaded sentence 'would really like to have a go' There is no evidence that Robins ever does that. The good results are because we have done the exact reverse to 'having a go'.

Rotherham, Reading, second half at Norwich etc etc

no_loyalty

I think this will be another tight game hopefully we go two up top, if Bannan is playing we need to stop him dictating play. Kieran Westwood is back in training, so guess he will be back in goal for them.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We do not have to win tomorrow (be disappointed if we don't) but whatever happens we will go in to Christmas outside the bottom 3.

I'd have taken that at the start.

I agree with that in sentiment.

I think when you go through it we are actually a lot more competitive than people thought. I actually put a lot of the earlier mistakes down to rustiness more than anything.

I think we should have a bit more belief and go for it tomorrow.

Gibbo

I also don't trust any combination of three midfielders, of the ones we have fit, keeping it tight for 90 minutes. Therefore I'd play 4 in the middle.

To 'have a go' would mean weakening the central midfield defensively. 0-0 is all we need.

Johhny Blue

We did it against Cardiff and punished their mistake for 2 extra points

Johhny Blue

New song for when we’re back

Have a go
Have a go
Have a go

Brighton Sky Blue

But what about when you turn on late and the second you turn on the opposition immediately score and obviously you are bad juju??

That happens every time I turn on an England rugby game. I just take it as a sign from the almighty not to watch egg chasing full stop

Gibbo

We did it against Cardiff and punished their mistake for 2 extra points
Cardiff would have been 0-0 but for a Cardiff defensive blunder. Classic stuff - go for the draw, and nick the win if you can This run has been built on being strong in defence, crap to watch, and hoping to nick one.

We have been forced to attack when we have gone behind - Norwich & Derby - but otherwise if anything the strategy has got clearer as time has gone on - Derby, Luton, Huddersfield 3 of the last 4. Add in the refusal to play two up front, and when he did adopt 2 up front it was abandoned rapido. What we have been attributing to Kelly's return - defensive solidity - has probably been a Robins concentration on conceding no goals as he got fed up with 3-2 score lines

You just have to look at the match day threads.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Not too sure home/away means anything bcd.
This is a fair point. I’ve kind of stopped thinking in terms of H&A, wonder what the stats show about BCD advantage either way (and what advantages clubs with fans at the moment are getting).

Anyone know where those stats are available, or is it too soon to infer anything?

Tommo1993

This is a fair point. I’ve kind of stopped thinking in terms of H&A, wonder what the stats show about BCD advantage either way (and what advantages clubs with fans at the moment are getting).

Anyone know where those stats are available, or is it too soon to infer anything?

I reckon Wycombe only pushed us to the brink because of fans spurring them on.

BornSlippySkyBlue

One thing I’ve noticed with your posts, and I’m not sure if it’s an autocorrect artefact, but it’s really bugging me.

“O’Hare”!!!

;)

cc84cov

I genuinely believe it makes a difference, and therefore is not fair. Given the bleating about fairness last season regarding PPG etc, it kind of rankles.
They pushed us as we allowed them too,we’re far superior to them it’s how we set up...we got the 3 points tho and that’s the main thing.

Fancy a win tomorrow

mark_ccfc

Frankly I find that very difficult to believe. Pete is such an unusual and rare name and Styvechale such a small place, that the chance of two Petes living there must be tiny.
The other thing I can't understand is if your name is Pete, and you live in Styvechale, how can you not be Pete from Styvechale? Crazy!

mark_ccfc

We are missing our two strongest midfielders, it would be madness to go two up top at the expense of weakening the midfield. It will be one up top for this game.

Johhny Blue

We are missing our two strongest midfielders, it would be madness to go two up top at the expense of weakening the midfield. It will be one up top for this game.
We could revive the old "Hutch on the wing & Stein in the middle" song to "One up front and three in the middle"

clint van damme

With arguably our best two players missing, I think a draw today would be a very decent result.

Have a sneaky feeling we may lose this one, so I would take the point all day long..

they also have a lot of injuries. But its the noise about the general atmosphere and discord around their club at the moment that suggests to me we have a real chance of 3 points.
No doubt Kelly and Hamer missing will have a massive affect on how we approach the game as will the fatigue levels in the squad which is something Robins sees daily and we don't.
Thought both side looked dead on their feet on Wednesday, though injuries and fatigue are a common theme throughout the league with the fixture congestion.

Sky Blue Harry H

Is the clue in the user name? Thanks MR. No need to give the opposition a heads up, though ;)

Users who are viewing this thread