Season ticket sales drive from SISU (6 Viewers)

Hobo

Budget etc Is based on projected ticket sales, some of which will be based on take up of ST's.

What if us all boycotting ST's means the projected budget is a lot lower than this season's, which in terms means Mowbray will have a lower budget to work with, which in turn puts Mowbray off staying? If he does sign, and we then "wait to see the standard of signings" means there's no money/lower projections meaning we can't sign decent players because we don't have the budget (due to holding back ST money to make them). So by boycotting buying ST's it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Correct. But any business has to give it customers reasons to buy the product. Any business reliant on loyalty alone will be doomed to failure over time.

i boycotted Sixfields, but boycotting seasons tickets now would be counter productive. However the club has to show me something that would suggest buying a season ticket would be worth while. There has to be a sign things are moving forward. For many I think the acquisition of TM coupled with an early signing may spark that.

skybluetony176

I absolutely agree. We shouldn't have moved. However, we reached that point because of the string of events that happened before. That's all I'm saying.

We moved because our owners wanted us to. I have no doubt personally that if our owners had have put the same amount of effort into finding a way to stay at the Ricoh as they did into moving us away we'd never have left in the first place. It was their decision, we can use prior events to justify it if you want but it wasn't the only option on the table. There was a willingness to negotiate by other parties demonstrated from the moment we were in admin. Only one party didn't want to come to the table.

Hobo

For me a season ticket is never a valid option due to work commitments. But I have never understood why Coventry, who never sell out the Ricoh doesn't give someone like me a deal on say a 10 match flexible ticket plus say 10 percent discount at the club shop. All I would have to do is phone the ticket office to confirm reservation of my seat for the matches of my choice.

Monners

You can get the 7 game package for £84 this season (the tickets can cover more than one game if you have friends and family). Pretty flexible and easy to use.

KersleyDigs

SISU COULD put £1-2 million into the club as equity (legal within FFP), buy some decent players, sell some season tickets and get us out this league. They won't obviously, they choose not too...

chiefdave

SISU COULD put £1-2 million into the club as equity (legal within FFP), buy some decent players, sell some season tickets and get us out this league. They won't obviously, they choose not too...

What you're suggesting is to get success SISU put in a seven figure amount that they are highly unlikely to get a return on. Just highlights the problem we have with lack of access to revenues.

Hobo

I don't think the investment would need to be that high.

Hobo

What you're suggesting is to get success SISU put in a seven figure amount that they are highly unlikely to get a return on. Just highlights the problem we have with lack of access to revenues.

Not being able to maximise what is within their control seems to be the immediate problem. It is not all about developing new ones.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Average home gate 2008/09 when SISU arrived; 17,406. Average home gate last season 2,287.

Maybe it just goes to show the problem we have with a disillusioned customer base more than revenues....

chiefdave

Average home gate 2008/09 when SISU arrived; 17,406. Average home gate last season 2,287.

If you're going to use last season as a reference point then things are massively on the up, what will we be looking at, something like a 400% increase in average attendance.

We have the 7th highest average attendance in L1, 5th highest if you only count Ricoh games.

Hobo

I absolutely agree. We shouldn't have moved. However, we reached that point because of the string of events that happened before. That's all I'm saying.

there comes a point where things become history and nobody can change them. You can however influence the present.

The trouble with the SIxfields move was that the club failed to explain to the fans what they were doing and why. Without any effort to get the fans behind it, it was seen as just a dodgy business tactic (which it probably was).

SISU's other big problem seems to be repeating their mistakes with the customer fanbase. There has been a continual erosion.

At some point someone will have to start taking the club forward if it is to survive. That could stiil be SISU just as much as someone else. Waiting for a new stadium deal (whatever form that might be) should not delay re structuring the club on the correct lines and building the correct relationship with its customers.

CCC said "they never put forward a viable plan" re future development of the Ricoh....which started the cooling off of relationships between the two parties. I also think the lack of a viable plan is what is affecting the moral of the core fan base, let alone the potential fan base. I really believe that fans would accept a five year plan if they firstly could see one, and secondly that it was being implemented and stuck to. But such a plan would need to demonstrate on and off field development. It would help if the club didn't contradict itself with in days of press releases for a start.

NorthernWisdom

The trouble with the SIxfields move was that the club failed to explain to the fans what they were doing and why. Without any effort to get the fans behind it, it was seen as just a dodgy business tactic (which it probably was).

Coupled with a media assault from other parties ;)

But yep, they've never explained anything well really.

stupot07

Yep. And it's goes back to the if they put £2m, is it going to add £2m to the ticket sales compared with this season? Very unlikely, so what's the added value?

It's like signing eastwood for £1.5m plus £1.5m (£10k pw wages over 3 years) all those years again. His signing didn't add £1 to the ticket sales as attendances were dropping regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

rupert_bear

You are correct stupot but sisu will have to show some sort of ambition a lot more than they did last season. Granted we entered last season playing in Northampton so I can understand to a degree our owners reluctance to over do team investment from their point of view, lets forget who might have been to blame . But this time there looks to be a chance for us to lets say do better from the outset. But IF Tony Mowbray doesn't happen and never mind the "we tried to get him over the line" mantra from Mr. Waggott that will not be acceptable, failure to secure TM will prove to be curtains for many fans imo, who have seen all sorts of different managers these last few years come and go but sense a difference with this guy somehow, I know I do.

torchomatic

Lies damned lies and statistics, eh? MMM is trying to pull the wool over our eyes, isn't he?

Average league gate now 9120, so quadrupled the support in one season!

shy_tall_knight

However our last 10 games the average is only 8,200 including the appointment of a new manager during that period.

SISU may yet regret the appointment of TM because if they fail to land him in the summer, regardless of the reasons this wouldn't go down well with our dwindling fan base.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Lies damned lies and statistics, eh? MMM is trying to pull the wool over our eyes, isn't he?

Not really, I used the last full-season's set of attendance figures; which Waggot stated would be the basis for 2014/15 financial planning, didn't he?

So, any increase from 'where we are' is from a budget which Waggot stated he based on last year's figures which I accurately quoted. The quotes from Waggot are in the Telegraph; ah, which would won't believe as it's purely a Wasps newsletter now and was probably written by Lucas in any case....

But whichever, the bigger picture shouldn't be lost - the drop from 17K+ fans per game to 8 to 9K fans per game is the biggest revenue loss; and much more significant that the revenues being bleated about above. But one is SISU's bollock dropped, and the other the one that can be blamed on CCC/ACL/Higgs/Wasps/Frankie and Benny/etc - so I have no surprise which one is being jumped all over

Last edited:

chiefdave

You are correct stupot but sisu will have to show some sort of ambition a lot more than they did last season.

I think the problem is anything good they do is ignored. How far would they have to go to make an impact on ticket sales? Its unrealistic to expect 'name' signings given the level we play at. Mowbray was certainly a higher calibre, and I would assume more expensive, manager than I was expecting. Players like Ward and Pennington are unlikely to be the cheap option.

At what point should SISU be given some credit? If we keep Mowbray and he gets a similar budget to the one we were told we had this year, ie: towards the top in terms of spend, then I think its job done on SISU's side. However I don't think those two things will have much impact on those who are talking about not renewing or going to less games less season.

Lets face it even when they do something good like kids for a quid or cheap tickets this Saturday all we see is posts complaining that kids have to go in the kids section or someone didn't get an email. Same with players coming in, you can be sure Mowbray will get the credit for anyone decent but if someones crap it will be down to Waggott.

covcity4life

mowbray is the biggie, keep him and i am sure even the council loving fans will be excited for the season ahead.

and if he is here i would iamgine that means sisu have to back him.

could this finnaly be the season that we win more games than we lose?!!!!!!!

lordsummerisle

Not really, I used the last full-season's set of attendance figures; which Waggot stated would be the basis for 2014/15 financial planning, didn't he?

So, any increase from 'where we are' is from a budget which Waggot stated he based on last year's figures which I accurately quoted. The quotes from Waggot are in the Telegraph; ah, which would won't believe as it's purely a Wasps newsletter now and was probably written by Lucas in any case....

But whichever, the bigger picture shouldn't be lost - the drop from 17K+ fans per game to 8 to 9K fans per game is the biggest revenue loss; and much more significant that the revenues being bleated about above. But one is SISU's bollock dropped, and the other the one that can be blamed on CCC/ACL/Higgs/Wasps/Frankie and Benny/etc - so I have no surprise which one is being jumped all over

The biggest balls up was ,when looking through the average attendances ,was that not once(even with the new stadium "Wow" factor) has our average attendance been greater than the max capacity of Highfield Road.

All traced back to Richardson's hubris and greed.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

The biggest balls up was ,when looking through the average attendances ,was that not once(even with the new stadium "Wow" factor) has our average attendance been greater than the max capacity of Highfield Road.

tbf, when we moved in the 'Wow' was a bit like a building site!

Missed chance there... along with the crazed logic that a deal needing 22k in it each week to break even, was a wise one.

chiefdave

tbf, when we moved in the 'Wow' was a bit like a building site!

And of course whoever was in charge of the project ballsed it up so we couldn't have a pre-season money making friendly to open the ground and had to have a reduced capacity for the first game which would have more than likely otherwise been a sell out.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

If you want a thread that will unite everyone - then that's the one. Universal agreement that we did wholly the wrong thing

Astute

And nobody knew when the rent was pegged at such an unsustainable amount that CCFC would nearly go into administration and be bought by a hedge fund who wanted to reduce the rent so went to Sixfields....And nobody knew when Bryan Richardson started the folly of a new stadium that we would be so broke that we sold our stake to the Council who pegged at such an unsustainable amount that CCFC would nearly go into administration and be bought by a hedge fund who wanted to reduce the rent so went to Sixfields, etc etc

Easy to focus on one disastrous event when it has been a catalogue of disastrous events over the last 20 odd years.

Yet we have a few that try to make out that Richardson is not guilty and nothing to do with our present predicament :facepalm:

stupot07

But whichever, the bigger picture shouldn't be lost - the drop from 17K+ fans per game to 8 to 9K fans per game is the biggest revenue loss;

Says a lot about our fans though doesn't it. How many did Sheff United lose dropping out of the championship into league one.

torchomatic

One particular poster likes to use a certain phrase so I'll borrow it off him: Cause and effect.

Yet we have a few that try to make out that Richardson is not guilty and nothing to do with our present predicament :facepalm:

torchomatic

It wasn't just the "SISU Factor" either. Gillingham - Yeovil was an eye-opener.

Says a lot about our fans though doesn't it. How many did Sheff United lose dropping out of the championship into league one.

KersleyDigs

A bit of investment would lead to a better product and better all round business performance.

- Better results (therefore more enjoyable match day experience)
- Higher gates (so higher turnover)
- Potentially promotion (so more money in the Championship from TV, sponsors etc)

No investment = continuing slide

shy_tall_knight

Yeovil was unbelievable and those missing fans have since not returned as well as other fans including some ST holders. Failure to land TM could see home gates down to 5k, not sure even a promotion charge will see gates rise significantly, the apathy, mistrust among the former fans is quite severe.

covcity4life

how many of sheffield uts fan love their local council more than their football club?

Ashdown

And of course whoever was in charge of the project ballsed it up so we couldn't have a pre-season money making friendly to open the ground and had to have a reduced capacity for the first game which would have more than likely otherwise been a sell out.
First 3 games wasn't it ?

torchomatic

Astute

I loved the Yeovil game. Nice sunny day and no cover. Stood up at the front making so much noise I nearly lost my voice. Met some great people. And the hope of a quick return was still there. Been mainly downhill since though :(

Users who are viewing this thread