Ryan Haynes has been sold (1 Viewer)

capel & collindridge

Esoterica. Don't know where your coming from with that but Max played in at least 13 of those defeats and most of the drawn games if he had scored more goals than 8 in his time on the field poor for a second striker. (equal to 28 full games) like I said no need for Wembley.

8 goals in 28 full games is the equivalent of 13 goals in all 46 matches. Not really that poor for a second striker. Not when the first striker's 27 goals would take the total for the two of them to 40 striker goals in total.

And that ignores the hold up skills, commitment and assists Max provided too. (You've guessed, he's one of my favourites!)

thekidfromstrettoncamp

We have a player in our ranks who people say is not ready yet Ponticelli he has spent a quarter of the time max has spent on the pitch but has scored 5. Perhaps Max was not ready as well . If you check my posts I am not blaming Max my beef is with Robins for he picks the team , a more prolific second striker no Wembley much as I enjoyed it.

Cov kid 55

Think these two comments from the shrews board sum it up nicely

I am just trying to compute the benefits of the transfer dealing with Coventry they get Junior Brown a real bundle of energy and a gem of a player first choice left back and a real fans favourite.

We get Ryan Haynes a young lad who has his detractors amongst the Coventry faithful and we obviously need to shape and develop him, as their fans point out he was a second or third choice left back from what was until May a league 2 side.

It's a good job the Double Johns have confidence in their coaching ability to get the best out of players and spotting a rough diamond and we must support them in their beliefs. Oh I am sure it probably helps Coventry pay the fee for Brown too, that's lucky too everyone wins.

The opposite view is they have Brown as back up to their established left back, whos not played for almost a year (by the time the season starts) and now has a bad knee injury noggle at the back of his mind (one of his best attributes was jumping and that might be effected) whos about to turn 30 and really has not sell on fee + maybe 50-100k

We have a young lad who is not universally liked by Cov fans (who ever is when they leave) but at 22 has league one experience, was scouted by premiership teams within the last year and who could be better a a wing back than the left back roll he was forced to play at Cov last two seasons. A fresh start might be just what he needs.

With the cash Cov probably JUST get the better of this deal (assuming Brown does not get injured again before Christmass) but its pretty 50/50

Read more: NEW SIGNING - 230 | blue-and-amber
It’s a good, and reasoned piece. There are some posters on here who make an assessment of a player, and never change it. Ryan Haynes needs a change, and I hope he now moves forward and makes an excellent career for himself. Successive Managers have seen talent and potential in Ryan Haynes, other clubs have looked at him, and now another league one club has paid an ‘undisclosed fee’ for him. Although Managers can and do take wrong decisions, I place more reliance on various Mangers’ opinion of Haynes, rather than some posters, who consistently exhibit a blinkered approach to justify their jaundiced view. Let’s hope that in a couple of years time we’re having an argument on here about the size of the sell on clause we agreed when we sold Haynes to the Shrews.

Pete in Portugal

Looks like Robins hasn't a clue by playing Biamou, he could have played the other 20 goals a season striker we've got.

Oh wait a minute. :emoji_thinking:

Exactly. Grendel is ignoring the fact that if Biamou was not selected, we'd have started with Ponticelli and had a half-fit Beavon on the bench. I doubt very much whether we'd have finished in a play-off place with combination - but that's just my opinion. In addition, it's unlikely that Biamou would have progressed at the rate he did when playing in the first team.

The question now is, not whether Robins should have picked him last season, it's whether Biamou will be able to continue his development and play sufficiently well in a successful team at league one level. That'd be quite a big a gamble for Robins to take and he may therefore try to bring in another target man, with a better goal scoring record than Biamou, to mitigate that risk.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Pete a little piece from your post "progressed" this my point he learnt his trade in the 1st team not the reserves . I blame Robins not the player . As for should he pick him this season you give your players the chance and if you feel there the 1 you play them .I may be wrong but I think this is the season Ponticelli steps up

Irish Sky Blue

Pete a little piece from your post "progressed" this my point he learnt his trade in the 1st team not the reserves . I blame Robins not the player . As for should he pick him this season you give your players the chance and if you feel there the 1 you play them .I may be wrong but I think this is the season Ponticelli steps up
You are ignoring the fact that even in his non scoring first half of the season, Biamou was still playing well (despite what some on here would have you believe), winning headers, holding the ball up and providing assists. He contributed well to the team’s performance. Robins said on a number of occasions that all that was missing from him was goals. He obviously meant this because as soon as the goals came he was preferred to JCH.

Magwitch

Anyone who doesn’t think Biamou isn’t a decent player at our level in my opinion knows nothing about football. Along with Hyam Max was the most improved player in our squad and fundamental to McNultys goal surge. With striker partnerships you rarely get both getting 20+ goals each, one gets the lions share, because the other takes the weight off him, look at Harry Kane for an example.

Grendel

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying he, individually, wasn't the difference between autos and playoffs. I can go through everyone of those games we lost and drew and tell you the core reason we dropped points in those games but you've just made one of your usual inflammatory sweeping statements and now refusing to back it up and deflecting away from that by mocking me instead.

No you’ll give your opinion on the reason for dropping points not the reason

Grendel

You are ignoring the fact that even in his non scoring first half of the season, Biamou was still playing well (despite what some on here would have you believe), winning headers, holding the ball up and providing assists. He contributed well to the team’s performance. Robins said on a number of occasions that all that was missing from him was goals. He obviously meant this because as soon as the goals came he was preferred to JCH.

How many assists was it in his non scoring first half of the season?

Esoterica

No you’ll give your opinion on the reason for dropping points not the reason
Yes. My opinion, which I'm quite happy to detail. I've put it on a plate for you to do the same with a simple list to copy and paste. All you've got to do is add your opinion on the reason we dropped the points in each games. Should be an easy job compared to coming up with all these strawman arguments and counter questions that deliberately change the subject.

Terry_dactyl

It’s a good, and reasoned piece. There are some posters on here who make an assessment of a player, and never change it. Ryan Haynes needs a change, and I hope he now moves forward and makes an excellent career for himself. Successive Managers have seen talent and potential in Ryan Haynes, other clubs have looked at him, and now another league one club has paid an ‘undisclosed fee’ for him. Although Managers can and do take wrong decisions, I place more reliance on various Mangers’ opinion of Haynes, rather than some posters, who consistently exhibit a blinkered approach to justify their jaundiced view. Let’s hope that in a couple of years time we’re having an argument on here about the size of the sell on clause we agreed when we sold Haynes to the Shrews.

I think a lot of the frustration with Haynes comes from thinking that he has the attributes to be very good. Which as you say is highlighted by successive managers giving him game time. However, successive managers have also dropped him and Robins, our best manager in recent years, has opted to get rid. While I wish him luck, it would be very frustrating if he actually ‘came good’ after the opportunities he has had with us.
He really wasn’t consistently good enough for us.

Irish Sky Blue

How many assists was it in his non scoring first half of the season?
By my reckoning three before he scored his first goal. They were Jones v Notts County, Nazon v Luton and Doyle Crawley?. He also laid the ball on for McNulty at Luton when he was brought down, man sent off and Shipley scored from the free kick. Considering he barely completed a game in the first half of the season, and his minutes on the pitch we’re limited, I am sure you will agree, not a bad return.

Irish Sky Blue

Just to put this in context, Jody Jones, who almost every City fan, presumably even yourself, would agree is a good an an effective player had 4 assists in his 19 games before his injury. This figure is from Wikipedia, so might need checking, but it is an indication that Biamou wasn’t doing too badly even in his barren spell. I really wonder what your argument will be, if this season Max continues in the same vain as he finished the last? Will you be able to bring yourself to admit that you were wrong? Interesting to see on this point and also if there will be a taxi for Robin’s again.

Mucca Mad Boys

Think these two comments from the shrews board sum it up nicely

I am just trying to compute the benefits of the transfer dealing with Coventry they get Junior Brown a real bundle of energy and a gem of a player first choice left back and a real fans favourite.

We get Ryan Haynes a young lad who has his detractors amongst the Coventry faithful and we obviously need to shape and develop him, as their fans point out he was a second or third choice left back from what was until May a league 2 side.

It's a good job the Double Johns have confidence in their coaching ability to get the best out of players and spotting a rough diamond and we must support them in their beliefs. Oh I am sure it probably helps Coventry pay the fee for Brown too, that's lucky too everyone wins.

The opposite view is they have Brown as back up to their established left back, whos not played for almost a year (by the time the season starts) and now has a bad knee injury noggle at the back of his mind (one of his best attributes was jumping and that might be effected) whos about to turn 30 and really has not sell on fee + maybe 50-100k

We have a young lad who is not universally liked by Cov fans (who ever is when they leave) but at 22 has league one experience, was scouted by premiership teams within the last year and who could be better a a wing back than the left back roll he was forced to play at Cov last two seasons. A fresh start might be just what he needs.

With the cash Cov probably JUST get the better of this deal (assuming Brown does not get injured again before Christmass) but its pretty 50/50

Read more: NEW SIGNING - 230 | blue-and-amber

That's a very optimistic view from Shrewsbury fans. We've got the better of this deal by quite a lot, we get the 'best left back in League 1' (we'll see if he's 'the best' but, an established L1 LB for sure) whilst we get a fee for Haynes who started and ended the season as our second choice. At least in the short term, these deals favour us.

In fairness, if Haynes was developed properly, he'll make a fine L1 LB.

Magwitch

The problem is Grendel along with some others have made an assessment on Biamou and he’s been proved him wrong, same with Burge. Too pig added to admit it and he probably sits in his seat, if he goes, hoping Max misses chances or Burge let’s one through his legs. Ive never loathed Haynes like some I think there’s a decent player there but with a fit again Jones, Shipley and Junior Brown ahead of him he’s surplus and his wages can be used elsewhere. I hope the kid does well.

NorthernWisdom

So we took their left back on a free and sold them our 3rd choice one? Decent!
That's a very optimistic view from Shrewsbury fans. We've got the better of this deal by quite a lot, we get the 'best left back in League 1' (we'll see if he's 'the best' but, an established L1 LB for sure) whilst we get a fee for Haynes who started and ended the season as our second choice. At least in the short term, these deals favour us.

We've made a gamble that their left back comes back from injury effectively, and doesn't go the Vincenti way of returning.

Magwitch

In fairness Vincenti was injured and on crutches at the end of the season and when he was fit and getting games we as a team were very inconsistent, let’s see how he fairs in a better team which we now are, but I suppose someone has to replace Haynes as the boo boy

Cavan O'Doherty

In fairness Vincenti was injured and on crutches at the end of the season and when he was fit and getting games we as a team were very inconsistent, let’s see how he fairs in a better team which we now are, but I suppose someone has to replace Haynes as the boo boy
Vincenti should never pull on a Coventry City shirt again.

Magwitch

No I’m not criticising what you said re Vincenti he certainly wasn’t brilliant I just think we need to give him a clean slate, that’s if he gets into the team looks to be in a bit of a queue to be honest, but for someone to say he shouldn’t pull a City shirt on again is well over the top imo.

NorthernWisdom

No I’m not criticising what you said re Vincenti he certainly wasn’t brilliant I just think we need to give him a clean slate, that’s if he gets into the team looks to be in a bit of a queue to be honest, but for someone to say he shouldn’t pull a City shirt on again is well over the top imo.
Each time he plays, I hope he goes on to have a stormer.

Applies for every one of our players really. Be mad not to.

And with Haynes, it's not really unfair to think (as most have on this thread tbf) that he probably needs a move somewhere else, but to wish him the best and hope he makes a career for himself.

Irish Sky Blue

I agree with this. It is a daft statement to make that he should never pull on a City shirt again. He didn’t have a good season but he does seem to have been hampered by injury. He always seemed to be an honest player, giving it his best and there were glimpses there of the player that he probably used to be and might be again if he is injury free. Lots were saying that Reid should never play for us again. Fortunately Robins is more pragmatic than that. Reid played and did make a contribution towards promotion. Vincenti might do the same.

Cavan O'Doherty

Come on, it doesn’t hurt to tell the truth and say that he hasn’t been a good signing. Anybody who says otherwise is lying to themselves. He couldn’t do it in league 2 and now that we’ve gone up he needs to go.

skybluepm2

“I’m known for being very attacking, that’s the main part of my game”, Ryan said.

“Don’t get me wrong I can defend as well, but I like to attack, I like to get on the ball, that’s me as a player. I might even chip in with the goals if you’re lucky, so like I said I’m just looking forward to getting going and starting back next week.”

Not a good start. Lying to his new employers and their fan base in his first interview.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Exactly. Grendel is ignoring the fact that if Biamou was not selected, we'd have started with Ponticelli and had a half-fit Beavon on the bench. I doubt very much whether we'd have finished in a play-off place with combination - but that's just my opinion. In addition, it's unlikely that Biamou would have progressed at the rate he did when playing in the first team.

The question now is, not whether Robins should have picked him last season, it's whether Biamou will be able to continue his development and play sufficiently well in a successful team at league one level. That'd be quite a big a gamble for Robins to take and he may therefore try to bring in another target man, with a better goal scoring record than Biamou, to mitigate that risk.
Yes it will be interesting to see how Biamou performs in Div 1 after a full pre-season under Mark Robins.

Warwickhunt

Vincenti played most of his career in Div 1 and certainly knows the league very well! Hope he has recovered from his torn groin muscle injury as they can be quite debilitating on a players movement around the pitch

Grendel

“I’m known for being very attacking, that’s the main part of my game”, Ryan said.

“Don’t get me wrong I can defend as well, but I like to attack, I like to get on the ball, that’s me as a player. I might even chip in with the goals if you’re lucky, so like I said I’m just looking forward to getting going and starting back next week.”

Not a good start. Lying to his new employers and their fan base in his first interview.

He’s scored 1 league goal ever hasn’t he?

fernandopartridge

Your post is dripping in optimism as well. We don't know if we've got the better deal yet.

Nonleagueherewecome

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Vincenti is that bad as a player, just that he doesn't have the attributes to be an effective wide man-much better used in the middle. But....don't you think that part of the reason we were inconsistent was because he was in the side? Not all, by any means, and he had the odd decent showing, but when he played with Jones it made it even more predictable that most our attacking play would go down the opposite wing. When he was on the right it meant Grimmer had to overlap excessively and in turn that led to the masterplan of Kelly playing as a second RB to cover that, leaving our central midfield too deep? It was a bit of a mess back then and Big Pete wasn't really the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread