Russell Slade ? (2 Viewers)

oucho

Had a quick look - of the team who started Slade's last game in charge (Shrewsbury away, 0-0, the one with the Rose injury), only 4 of the 11 are still at the club - Burge, Dion KE, Beavon and Haynes.

The rest have either gone back to their parent clubs (Reilly), been released (Clarke, Rose, Kwame), been sold (Turnbull), or moved on when their contracts expired, rejecting renewals - G.Thomas, Bigi).

Consider that Beavon and DiKE have barely played this time, and even Haynes has been in and out of the team, plus both him and Burge being academy graduates pre-dating Mowbray, then you really do see how Slade/Mowbray really haven't left us with a legacy of any kind.

Otis

Had a quick look - of the team who started Slade's last game in charge (Shrewsbury away, 0-0, the one with the Rose injury), only 4 of the 11 are still at the club - Burge, Dion KE, Beavon and Haynes.

The rest have either gone back to their parent clubs (Reilly), been released (Clarke, Rose, Kwame), been sold (Turnbull), or moved on when their contracts expired, rejecting renewals - G.Thomas, Bigi).

Consider that Beavon and DiKE have barely played this time, and even Haynes has been in and out of the team, plus both him and Burge being academy graduates pre-dating Mowbray, then you really do see how Slade/Mowbray really haven't left us with a legacy of any kind.
Yup. Really, really poor recruitment from Mowbray and then Slade came in and took us even further backwards.

mark82

I think Mowbrays strength in the first season was the strength of the loan signings he brought in, and that really improved the level of the team. The core of the team wasn't that good (a young Maddison aside). Second year he clearly didn't get it right. That said, if he'd have remained in charge I suspect he could've at least kept us in that division (which still would've felt like a bad season at the time).

Slade was an absolute disaster, really can't think of one positive. If Robins had been appointed when Slade was, again I think we'd still be a league 1 team.

covcity4life

whilst i understand your point i will be picky about legacy of no kind

we won the checkatrade and mowbrays signings played and bigi even scored in the final.

agree slade fucked us though hehehe

p.s kyel reid to score playoff winner now!!!!

stevefloyd

Yup. Really, really poor recruitment from Mowbray and then Slade came in and took us even further backwards.
That has been my gripe and the morons that are saying Robins should go are off their trolleys!! He managed to get a shite team that 3 managers couldn't get playing together to give us one of our best days for 30 years at Wembley, if he had been given more time we could have escaped relegation, he has recruited better than recent managers and has at last got some players that other teams may actually want to pay money for and this in little over a year.
We all want instant success but years of tripe before have left us in this position, this is the first time in my lifetime whilst supporting Coventry (the Jimmy Hill years were before I started following football) that my team may have a chance of promotion at this last stage of the season, yes Robins has made mistakes, but so does Pep, Mourinho etc, Robins may not be the man to take us up the leagues who knows but I at least thank him for apparently stopping the immediate rot and trying to steer us in the right direction

stevefloyd

we won the checkatrade and mowbrays signings played and bigi even scored in the final.

But he couldn't get that bunch of players playing as a team!!!!!! neither could his sidekick

Otis

giphy.gif

fernandopartridge

I think Mowbrays strength in the first season was the strength of the loan signings he brought in, and that really improved the level of the team. The core of the team wasn't that good (a young Maddison aside). Second year he clearly didn't get it right. That said, if he'd have remained in charge I suspect he could've at least kept us in that division (which still would've felt like a bad season at the time).

Slade was an absolute disaster, really can't think of one positive. If Robins had been appointed when Slade was, again I think we'd still be a league 1 team.

We didn't win under Mowbray last season, I couldn't see him keeping us up and clearly neither could he. Let's not forget that it wasn't just the start of the season, we'd been in relegation form since January 2016 when he still had some of the great loan signings.

Oh, and we went out of both proper cups in the first round the season before and the second round in his second season. One good run of form really papers over what a disaster Mowbray was.

oucho

I don't think the Checkatrade win reprsents a legacy. It was a great achievement, a great day out and a moment to cherish, but it hasn't helped us a club. Weeks later we were relegated. A promotion to another league would be a step back towards where we need to be, that didn't happen under TM or Slade.

Otis

We didn't win under Mowbray last season, I couldn't see him keeping us up and clearly neither could he. Let's not forget that it wasn't just the start of the season, we'd been in relegation form since January 2016 when he still had some of the great loan signings.

Oh, and we went out of both proper cups in the first round the season before and the second round in his second season. One good run of form really papers over what a disaster Mowbray was.
Well that's it in a nutshell. Even Mowbray himself all but admitted he wasn't going to keep us up.

He said himself that he had failed, so it's a bit fantastical to believe that somehow he would have been able to achieve it.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

There are far too many Mowbray apologists on here.

From them Slade is the perfect scapegoat. If it wasn't him there would be some other excuse why we got relegated, such as Tim Fisher's weight loss or Bigirimana's prayer schedule.

covcity4life

But he couldn't get that bunch of players playing as a team!!!!!! neither could his sidekick
unbeaten 6 in 10,. not bad lol

slade got us relegated, the white supremicist on the forum can argue till hes blue in face(and thus begins a petition to get himself out of england lmao) that slade wasnt to blame but he was. 1pt from safety to 17 on his watch.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

There are far too many Mowbray apologists on here.

From them Slade is the perfect scapegoat. If it wasn't him there would be some other excuse why we got relegated, such as Tim Fisher's weight loss or Bigirimana's prayer schedule.

Mowbray is the perfect Scapegoat for you - as you called for Slade to be appointed, defended his tactics and signings and even this summer said he was the perfect appointment for Grimsby!!! Slade was the worst thing to come to Coventry since the Black Death!!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

unbeaten 6 in 10,. not bad lol

slade got us relegated, the white supremicist on the forum can argue till hes blue in face(and thus begins a petition to get himself out of england lmao) that slade wasnt to blame but he was. 1pt from safety to 17 on his watch.

White supremacist? Back that up you c**t.

You were wrong on this just like you are wrong on most things you little weasel.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Mowbray is the perfect Scapegoat for you - as you called for Slade to be appointed, defended his tactics and signings and even this summer said he was the perfect appointment for Grimsby!!! Slade was the worst thing to come to Coventry since the Black Death!!

Slade was ridiculed by everyone, Mowbray is the one people still make excuses for - particularly you. Your head is so far up his arse I'm surprised you can see daylight.

Anyway, when did you last comment on any football matters on here? All we ever see is you pop up on the Slade threads.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Slade was ridiculed by everyone, Mowbray is the one people still make excuses for - particularly you. Your head is so far up his arse I'm surprised you can see daylight.

Anyway, when did you last comment on any football matters on here? All we ever see is you pop up on the Slade threads.

I, like many others on here, have said several times that (whilst I liked Mogga's attacking football and I enjoyed that season we had Armstrong, Maddison, Cole, Murphy, Fleck, Vincelot etc) he should of at least got us into the Top 6 with the squad he had. He's guilty of not getting us promoted and building us on loans whereas Slade is guilty of effectively relegating us by February and signing a 44 year old Yakubu. 1 point adrift of safety when Slade came in, 14 points adrift of safety by the time he was sacked! Everyone else can see he's a dreadful manager but you seem to think he deserves to add more sackings to his CV!

Your misconception that everyone is a Mogga apologist, purely comes on the fact that he released Jim O'Brien and nobody was really that bothered but you adored him because he played like you.To the present day, what has JOB go on to do with his career and what has Murphy, Maddison etc that you slated gone on to do?

Slade has gone on to be sacked from another club after putting Grimsby in a relegation scrap, whereas Mowbray has taken (a well backed yes) Blackburn to the top of League 1 - people are going to make their conclusions that Slade and JOB are a bit shit and Mowbray, Murphy etc possibly have some talent to them...

I'm just as disappointed as you that we're now in League 2 but I'm convinced we wouldn't of gone down if we had appointed Robins and not Spade.

steve82

I find this thread interesting we can all agree on one key point, Russell Slade failed to halt a broken side and made the points deficit worse. That’s fact not opinion based

But there’s some key points to look at with TM’s last 10 months in charge

After the 4-1 demolition of Gillingham on November 21st we picked up 4 wins from the next 23 games before winning 4 of the last 5 games of the season.
That was a run of
W4 D8 L11
that’s just 20 pts from 23 games and possible 69 pts.
That’s half a season and 20 points returned.

12 points from the last 15 available lifted spirits into the summer where he quoted the club needed its own players and not be reliant on loans and released 11 contracted players and obviously the several loan stars.

He knew all summer the task in hand and then failed to identify enough players to join the club and went the loan route again having had a full season to understand the requirements of League one after dropping to a level beneath him in reality.

He wasted a whole summer chasing players like Kelvin Wilson after releasing Reda Johnson and to quote TM when given a interview about the recruitment that summer “did we shoot to high”... the answer is yes massively.

Undoubtedly he’s a good coach but he failed badly in the summer to build a squad and the flame finally went out 10 games in and he did the right thing in a gentlemanly way and walked.

It’s clear TM had his hand in the decline that season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

covcity4life

I, like many others on here, have said several times that (whilst I liked Mogga's attacking football and I enjoyed that season we had Armstrong, Maddison, Cole, Murphy, Fleck, Vincelot etc) he should of at least got us into the Top 6 with the squad he had. He's guilty of not getting us promoted and building us on loans whereas Slade is guilty of effectively relegating us by February and signing a 44 year old Yakubu. 1 point adrift of safety when Slade came in, 14 points adrift of safety by the time he was sacked! Everyone else can see he's a dreadful manager but you seem to think he deserves to add more sackings to his CV!

Your misconception that everyone is a Mogga apologist, purely comes on the fact that he released Jim O'Brien and nobody was really that bothered but you adored him because he played like you.To the present day, what has JOB go on to do with his career and what has Murphy, Maddison etc that you slated gone on to do?

Slade has gone on to be sacked from another club after putting Grimsby in a relegation scrap, whereas Mowbray has taken (a well backed yes) Blackburn to the top of League 1 - people are going to make their conclusions that Slade and JOB are a bit shit and Mowbray, Murphy etc possibly have some talent to them...

I'm just as disappointed as you that we're now in League 2 but I'm convinced we wouldn't of gone down if we had appointed Robins and not Spade.
giphy.gif

steve82

TM form from November 21st to September 28th
P38 W8 D14 L16 F36 A42 PTS38
That form alone of 1pt per game says relegation highly likely historically in league one.

Joy Division

TM form from November 21st to September 28th
P38 W8 D14 L16 F36 A42 PTS38
That form alone of 1pt per game says relegation highly likely historically in league one.

Yeah but we played well for a few months, he's the messiah.

steve82

Yeah but we played well for a few months, he's the messiah.

I’ll get in first... I said Slade was the messiah. I’m big enough to admit it, and own up to it months ago.

TM gave us he best 3-4 months of football that’s very true! The kids burned out tho and they and his form tailed off.

Lessons wasn’t learned tho unfortunately, the rest unfolded painfully.

Grendel

People I’m afraid look at Mowbrays time here the wrong way round. His early season start when he came was the blip

Users who are viewing this thread