Running (5 Viewers)

Definitely if you’re plateauing you should mix it up.
Get some longer slower runs in along with some speed sessions. Reps and hill reps. Do some fartlek. Just do something different and you’ll see big gains.

SBAndy

Definitely if you’re plateauing you should mix it up.
Get some longer slower runs in along with some speed sessions. Reps and hill reps. Do some fartlek. Just do something different and you’ll see big gains.

I’d echo this. The one thing I’ve concentrated on since started running is variance and it’s allowed me to keep improving in all aspects. Distances varying from 1 mile to 4.5 miles, speed goes with that, every couple of weeks doing half-mile reps with a walking break in between.

Great_Expectations

I've been running 5ks twice a week for a couple of months but not getting much faster. Maybe I am being too careful as I don't want to not complete the run. Unsure whether to try to run faster or go longer, say 10k. Which is better fitness wise?

I am by no means the expert on here, but I think it depends on frequency. If you are running twice a week, then you have plenty of recovery time in between so I would increase the intensity/speed for for those two 5ks. You are maximising the time you are running, burning more calories, using more muscles fibres, engaging your nervous system etc - all benefits.

My advice would be to try and add another run and include some variety. I don't enjoy running at all, but am in a place now where I run most days - including a quicker short run, mediums distance, long distance, and then a few filler runs depending how my body is feeling, so usually anything between 3 - 5 miles at a comfortable to medium intensity. Always dread going out, but feel loads better when I am back.

Maybe set an aim to try to incrementally increase your pace per mile, so you are gradually increasing your speed? It will get uncomfortable but at least you then know you are pushing yourselves to a new level. Even if you don't manage to increase the pace for each mile, even if you do for one and maintain your usual for the others then it is progress!

Another general tip; vary your route. That is the only interesting and "fun" bit for me - planning and running a new route/section/combination of previously used routes. It helps keep it fresh.

Anyone know the best place to get a decent but cheap treadmill? Been looking on facebook at the second hand one's but they're either crap or expensive.

Hertsccfc

I am by no means the expert on here, but I think it depends on frequency. If you are running twice a week, then you have plenty of recovery time in between so I would increase the intensity/speed for for those two 5ks. You are maximising the time you are running, burning more calories, using more muscles fibres, engaging your nervous system etc - all benefits.

My advice would be to try and add another run and include some variety. I don't enjoy running at all, but am in a place now where I run most days - including a quicker short run, mediums distance, long distance, and then a few filler runs depending how my body is feeling, so usually anything between 3 - 5 miles at a comfortable to medium intensity. Always dread going out, but feel loads better when I am back.

Maybe set an aim to try to incrementally increase your pace per mile, so you are gradually increasing your speed? It will get uncomfortable but at least you then know you are pushing yourselves to a new level. Even if you don't manage to increase the pace for each mile, even if you do for one and maintain your usual for the others then it is progress!

Another general tip; vary your route. That is the only interesting and "fun" bit for me - planning and running a new route/section/combination of previously used routes. It helps keep it fresh.
Thank you. This is great and makes sense to me.

I did push myself a bit more yesterday and was quite a lot quicker. Also going to try and run three times a week from now on.

Like you I don't particularly enjoy running but other exercise options are limited at the moment. I also do feel the benefit when I do it. I might try to vary the route but the one I do is by far the easiest and most free from other people.

Terry Gibson's perm

Up to an hours walking now boys covered around 7k round the sights of Nuneaton still struggling with the old back so no work until after new year

sw88

Chief Commentator!
How have I not seen this thread before!!
I haven't read the 25 page replies but hey!! I'm a runner (also known as a running wanker 🤣).
Not gone over half marathon distance bar once in November when I joined a friend who was doing their virtual London marathon and I ended up doing 17!! Longest ever with little training over 13, but enjoyed it!! officially a LonelyGoat but do most of my running with my bootcamp peoples, OutDoorFit.

will get round to reading replies but though I'd just drop this shameless plug here 🤣 since most events have been cancelled this year if anyone is looking for a festive run to join in, my bootcamp are doing one over this coming weekend, Jingle Bell Jog 10k, £7 entry with all monies going to Zoe's Place, bling included (one form to fill in with just your name and address which will be held securely!).

although it's open for this weekend (18-20) there is the option to run it before the end of the year if preferred, just because the medal has 2020 on it so would need running before then!

Happy running peoples

Hertsccfc

Not far behind! Also did my first 10km run this morning, timed at 1:02:10. Reasonably happy with the time considering it was my first attempt, pace has remained pretty stable.
I am sort of planning to do my first 10k before Christmas.

Adge

Not far behind! Also did my first 10km run this morning, timed at 1:02:10. Reasonably happy with the time considering it was my first attempt, pace has remained pretty stable.
Quite similar to me regarding the pace etc-think I was around 58 mins but am not fussed about how fast or slow-the idea is/was just to make it! 😁

Travs

For those asking about what's best, a slightly faster 5km or a slower 10km for general fitness... My opinion is until you can go out at least a few times a week and run a 10km "easily"..... You should always look at increasing distance or time, rather than pace. Then when you can do that sort of weekly mileage (say 20 miles per week), then it's worth re-looking at your pace and trying to bring it down, using stuff like rep sessions as Rich suggests above...

Trying to push the pace up too hard on low mileage is a recipe for injuries and loss of motivation as you'll hit a ceiling very quickly... Or to put it another way, you need to build up that foundation first, then add the layers (pace, speed endurance) on top.

Adge

Got 4 miles done this morning , and feel very smug as a shirt that was too tight for me in September fits comfortably today
Do you still get tired some days and struggle but other days it’s easy?

Sky_Blue_Daz

Do you still get tired some days and struggle but other days it’s easy?
Not as much as I did when I started again in April, I’m doing a run with kevs lads on Christmas Day

CrawleySkyBlue

10x 400m session yesterday, followed by a 15km longer jog today. Good weekend of running, although I much prefer longer distance running than short. Short distance running hurts.

SBAndy

Just finished this week’s 5km run and down to 27:54 (from 30:35 4 weeks ago). Really happy with that but know I can get below 27 with a bit more work.

Back to 5km yesterday, and a new PB of 26:14. Huge improvement since last time although I really pushed myself and I can see that PB remaining in place for a little while.

Travs

Club night tonight.
7 x 1km with 1 minute rest.
3:33, 3:31, 3:29, 3:29, 3:31, 3:35, 3:35

Died a bit on the last couple, but was first hard session for a couple of weeks after some hip flexor issues.

LastGarrison

Club night tonight.
7 x 1km with 1 minute rest.
3:33, 3:31, 3:29, 3:29, 3:31, 3:35, 3:35

Died a bit on the last couple, but was first hard session for a couple of weeks after some hip flexor issues.
Been struggling with mine (left) for a few months which has affected my running and pretty much stopped me doing any lunges.

Any tips, exercises etc. that you could recommend?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Did a jingle bell jog 10k on Saturday. Not my quickest at 55 mins (45:03 is my Pb) but I was dressed as Santa and wore a 5kg weight vest for a bit of extra padding!!

May venture out Christmas Day morning. Have done the park run the last 3 years, tabbing it last year with two friends from bootcamp carrying 14kg, but managed to double (run) the whole way!

Travs

Been struggling with mine (left) for a few months which has affected my running and pretty much stopped me doing any lunges.

Any tips, exercises etc. that you could recommend?

Don't know anything in particular. But I just stopped all hard runs, and did a fortnight slow and steady. Still did 50-60 miles each week, but nothing fast. And gentle stretching

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got 3.5 miles done this morning went through the pro logis estate it’s nice along there .I was like a drowned rat .

After a really long lay off I’ve bought a treadmill and I’m slowly building back up. Did a 5k in just under half hour on Monday. Just done 3km in 16minutes.
Sciatica is coming back though, I really need to work on strengthening the core.

Any PTs on here? I’m looking for someone to set me up with some bums and tums workouts to switch the core on

Sky_Blue_Daz

The one at Kerseley? It’s nice if you start at keresley and go down towards Ash Green. 2miles of downhill bliss
I came out of my estate onto beake ave up to the hub and along it to the top of Bennett’s road then home

Travs

I run there. From home near Ash Green/Pedleys, up to Keresley village, down Prologis to the Ricoh, then home via Burbages Lane.

Jamesimus

Right so looking for advice on this.

Recently had to have a prolonged break from running with IT band issues. Built up to doing a fair few 20km+ runs for a little while when I got it.

Stopped distance running for a bit (about 4 months) and swapped it for hill sprints and did some physio strengthening exercises and went out and did my first 5km in ages the other day.

When building up to distances in excess of 20km, should I have been running them at a slower pace for a while to begin with? I have really bad issues in pacing myself and often find myself trying to beat previous times and paces constantly, is this the likely reason I got injured?

Is there a program I could follow to build back up to this? For reference I'm nearly 35, pretty athletic (do lots of other exercise), but I've had a hard paper round 🤣

Jamesimus

See post #855

Also I'd heartily recommend joining a club (of which there are many in this area!)

I'm miles away and I think I enjoy the solitude of running!

I've got a decent Garmin watch, after reading your post I think I need to be a bit more mindful of not pushing the pace too much and increase distance in more gradual increments. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread