Running (6 Viewers)

speedie87

Struggling with the running at the mo, was 24 min 5k park runner week in week out pre mar lockdown now struggling to break 27.

Can’t seem to go for a run at a decent pace without struggling and walking, if go for longer run and say right I’m going to do 5 I give up at 4......

I’ve never ran listening to music or podcasts before but think going to give that a go

Rich

Struggling with the running at the mo, was 24 min 5k park runner week in week out pre mar lockdown now struggling to break 27.

Can’t seem to go for a run at a decent pace without struggling and walking, if go for longer run and say right I’m going to do 5 I give up at 4......

I’ve never ran listening to music or podcasts before but think going to give that a go
Slow down. Walk run. Enjoy the fresh air and the environment.
I was in exactly the same mind frame as you lockdown 1.0 and I went out on the trails and forgot all about pace. 8/9min/km average was quite normal and it was fun. Speed came back as a result.

Hertsccfc

Takes me about 27 and I am happy with that. I do find listening to music help though

SBAndy

Well it was bloody freezing this morning, but dragged myself out for 5 half-mile intervals (1 minute rest in between). Tough on the lungs when the air is that cold.

tommydazzle

Love running in the cold, can’t cope with the heat so just started the 5k runs again after stopping over the summer. Pretty much had to start again as you seem to lose condition at a far faster rate than gaining it! Any tips on breathing technique - I seem to gasp my way round?

Travs

Your breathing will improve as you gain fitness... And the best way to do that is lots of steady running.

In terms of controlling it in a race/timed effort/etc... It sounds simple, but you need to try and relax it and keep it controlled.

larry_david

Ran my own half marathon on sat. Did it without stopping, furthest I've ever ran. Considering I had to stop on 3k in April I've come /ran a long way.

Absolutely lashed it down twice though, shirt stuck to me. Post run I was aching all over but I'm pretty much OK now apart from nipples still on fire from rubbing on the wet shirt! They don't prep you for that at running school!

Sky_Blue_Daz

Runners nipple is nobody’s friend , put Vaseline on them ( keep it clean lads your all better then that )

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got 5 miles done again lovely , just as it was getting dark

CrawleySkyBlue

3x 1mile with 2 minute rests between each rep tonight. 5:30, 5:32, 5:32 reps. Pleased with the effort. An easier 10km tomorrow to relax the legs a little

Travs

3x 1mile with 2 minute rests between each rep tonight. 5:30, 5:32, 5:32 reps. Pleased with the effort. An easier 10km tomorrow to relax the legs a little

Great stuff. I did same a few weeks ago (in fact I did 4 reps with 2mins rest), but was at about 5:50..... 5:30 is very impressive.

Today's club session was 20 x 200mtrs, but to make it more race specific I did it on a rough and muddy downhill on the side of the old Astley Pit.

Could only manage 12 as it was pretty strenuous with the tricky terrain and the gradient.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Can’t face a run today over indulged last night

fernandopartridge

Did another 10.4k today, ran into the peak district along a bit of a trail, hard work with the hills and the uneven surface.
9f13e17dfcfc75ea4835aeed9c85eb70.jpg

robbiekeane

Ran 4 miles on thanksgiving day and then a 10km the day after to soften the blow from the indulgence lol. Nice and slow but got the miles in

Sky_Blue_Daz

Only did 4 miles today had a change of route , try 5 again on Tuesday

Great_Expectations

Ran a half today, which was very much cross country. Literally running through mud at times, and even uphill for some sections. Really takes it out of the legs.

The second part of the half felt like it was continuously uphill and my elevation stats after confirmed it - did not enjoy that element, but always try and remember the benefits of uphill running on my fitness.

However despite the tough terrain and uphill route, the worst part was the coffee shop at my finish point had a queue of about 20 people, all waiting outside in the cold, so I decided to forgo it, gutted!

SBAndy

Back again. Longest run to date this morning, 4.3 miles in 43 minutes. Quite happy with the pacing considering it’s another step up in distance. Set myself a goal to do a 10k by Christmas and looking reasonably promising, it’s finding the time to do it more than anything.

Adge

That’s good mate. I had a struggle a couple of days ago and only managed about 35 mins and had to call it a day. Went out earlier today and was happy with this....

Attachments

• F6EA151A-0AFC-4AE2-B6D1-0D644BA02306.png
    F6EA151A-0AFC-4AE2-B6D1-0D644BA02306.png
    287 KB · Views: 17

Ccfcisparks

Was wondering if anyone here could help. Absolutely blasted my legs Wednesday night, squatted really heavy and did 5k on the treadmill after a month off and my legs are absolutely fucked. What do you find is the best way to help them recover after a big run?

Travs

Everyone is different. Some will say total rest.

My preference is get back out ASAP. Even if its 15mins uphill walking on the treadmill, or a 10min jog. I find it helps.

But don't go in hard again until recovered.

Had a club internal cross-country last weekend, only 6km but surprisingly tough in the wet and mud.

Some mile reps last Tuesday, brisk but not all-out.... 6:00, 5:53, 5:51

Possibly another club session tomorrow if up to it...

Rich

I'm with Travs on that.

Plenty of fluid and a very slow recovery run helps. It seems counter-intuitive to run on sore legs, but you'd be surprised how much better they can feel after.

Travs

Getting used to running on tired legs is not necessarily a bad thing...

For someone who wants to progress, the usual starting point is upping the mileage with steady runs, which is inevitably going to mean some runs are not done "fresh".

What is bad however, is forcing out hard sessions when you're too fatigued... This is fast-lane to injury, mental fatigue, disillusionment, etc...

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did three 4 mile runs during the week and 3 miles first thing this morning
Was out about 7:30 still a bit dark but done and dusted
Doing a 5 mile run Christmas Day morning with my 3 nephews

Ccfcisparks

Went to play 5 a side last night and you guys were right I’ve woken up today and my legs feel right as rain. Think now they feel better I might go and do another few Km today. Keep needing to do 3.5mins of running and 1.5 mins of walking as a recovery. Is that better to do, or 5 mins of running at a much lower speed?

Hertsccfc

I've been running 5ks twice a week for a couple of months but not getting much faster. Maybe I am being too careful as I don't want to not complete the run. Unsure whether to try to run faster or go longer, say 10k. Which is better fitness wise?

larry_david

I've been running 5ks twice a week for a couple of months but not getting much faster. Maybe I am being too careful as I don't want to not complete the run. Unsure whether to try to run faster or go longer, say 10k. Which is better fitness wise?
I'd like to know myself actually. Good question

Ccfcisparks

Agree with this. Feel I’m starting to plateau with my fitness levels.

Users who are viewing this thread