Running (4 Viewers)

Travs

I use the Nike Zoom Pegasus or Vomero. Very cushioned without being bulky.

Usually pick up the previous year's model from the Nike outlets at Resorts World or Nottingham, for a hefty discount.

Adge

Had to grit my teeth today but managed to last-just!

Attachments

• 8150F151-3F79-4722-8A53-2C7A4E3E5FC7.png
    8150F151-3F79-4722-8A53-2C7A4E3E5FC7.png
    294.1 KB · Views: 30

Great_Expectations

Just done my daily 1.5 miles and I think my old new balance are coming to the end of their useable life. Looking for some new trainers to run in, that if possible could double up as gym trainers. I’ve heard ASICS are good. What are you all running in at the moment.

I am on my second pair of ASICS Gel Kayano - they support my ankles really well and are fairly neutral in terms of they aren’t lightweight speed shoes, nor overly heavy cross country types. I wear them on both muddy cross country and road runs and they work well for both.

I had no idea what I was looking for, but I did a gait analysis and they were recommended. Worth doing if/when you can.

Great_Expectations

A few of you have mentioned it’s worth joining a running club. Debating joining a local one, but what are the actual benefits and reasons behind recommending joining a club?

Travs

A few of you have mentioned it’s worth joining a running club. Debating joining a local one, but what are the actual benefits and reasons behind recommending joining a club?

-proper advice.
-group training and runs. Great motivator.
-most clubs have a vast range of abilities so you always have people at your pace (or alternatively slightly faster people to aim for!)
-if you are minded to, free entry into road-relays, cross-country leagues, etc.

There are a great range of clubs in Coventry and surrounding areas.

Sky_Blue_Daz

After some very rough calculations I’ve worked out since I got the ok to run again in the middle of April I’ve done 301 miles

I’ve set a target of Over 500 miles for this Year ( not counting dog walking )

Great_Expectations

-proper advice.
-group training and runs. Great motivator.
-most clubs have a vast range of abilities so you always have people at your pace (or alternatively slightly faster people to aim for!)
-if you are minded to, free entry into road-relays, cross-country leagues, etc.

There are a great range of clubs in Coventry and surrounding areas.

Northbrook are doing a free virtual membership

Thanks both. Still a little on the fence, I’m pretty motivated and not sure I’d be at a level/able to commit to races.

I would like people to run with though, not all the time but occasionally a running partner would mix it up a bit. None of my mates or partners are interested in running at all. Assume it can help with that too?

Travs

Well yeah, group training (when tiers allow) usually once or twice per week, depending on club. No obligation to turn up every week....

It really helps with a bit of structure if you're struggling with that. The group I'm in at my club would typically train Tuesday and Thursday nights... Rep/harder session on Tuesday, then either a steadier run or possibly another rep session on the Thursday. This gives you good motivation and then the rest of the week just think about doing easy runs as necessary.

Always best to try a club for a couple of weeks first... Honestly most new people who turn up to a club night, you don't see them again, so don't feel bad if you try a place out and it's not for you...

With regards to races, it's another great motivator. OK stuff like the cross-country leagues etc are very competitive, but most local races have a range of abilities that would be typical for a Parkrun.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Brooks ghosts for me. About to invest in the ghost 13s, currently using ghost 12s (on my second pair currently). They are neutral shoe.

They are well cushioned so make an ideal road running shoe, but that does make them slightly heavier as the above post states.

I've long been a Saucony Peregrine guy (had two pair of 7's and two 8's) but don't like the look of the 10's. design wise rather than colour - no one gets running trainers to make a fashion statement and the uglier colour the better 🤣

So, despite having tried Cascadia about 18 months 2 years ago from cov runner and my feet hated them but couldn't return them as had worn them outside, I have caved and am giving Brooks another go! And have ordered a pair of Ghost 13's! In white! I hope they fit

sw88

Chief Commentator!

Along with my bootcamp who have a few keen runners, I've been part of 'Lonely Goats' for a couple of years now! A virtual group before 'virtual' became a thing 🤣
One of the biggest running clubs going given that it's both nations and international! Great online support, and we even have some goats who organise group runs (covid aside!) based in Allesley Village, starting from Old School Fitness

Adge

Along with my bootcamp who have a few keen runners, I've been part of 'Lonely Goats' for a couple of years now! A virtual group before 'virtual' became a thing 🤣
One of the biggest running clubs going given that it's both nations and international! Great online support, and we even have some goats who organise group runs (covid aside!) based in Allesley Village, starting from Old School Fitness
What does “lonely goats” mean/stand for?

Lonely goat running club is an online affiliated running club.
You join them and have all the benefits of being in a physical running club. You’ll find you have club mates anywhere you go.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Lonely goat running club is an online affiliated running club.
You join them and have all the benefits of being in a physical running club. You’ll find you have club mates anywhere you go.

@Adge what he said 👆🏻 🤣

They area recognised club so you can be affiliated but it's not essential; anyone is welcome to the herd, even you 😁

Adge

@Adge what he said 👆🏻 🤣

They area recognised club so you can be affiliated but it's not essential; anyone is welcome to the herd, even you 😁
You’re too kind! In all seriousness I would meet up but you know where I am-bit far away.😔

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I’ve looked into Lonely Goat before but wasn’t into running enough at the time.

Can you/do you find other local LG runners?

I only happened to come across the Old School Goats by chance and have ran with them a few times! Can't always commit to their Sunday schedule and used to run with my bootcamp on Wednesdays, so haven't repped the jersey with other Goats as much as I'd like.

but there are also some others on Insta and Strava. Most use a 🐐 emoji after their name on strava making it easier to search(there's tonnes on there!! Even if you're not one, search and see 🤣).

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a lovely run today usual route through pro logis and Bennett’s road but turned left at the hare and hounds along watery lane and up penny park
4.5 miles in 42 mins . Not the best time but good for an over weight nearly 45 year old with one leg shorter then the other 😁

Just done a treadmill interval session. Jesus the hate treadmills.
I’ve lost so much fitness and put on a stone and a half since I was ill. It’s going to take hard work and dedication to get back to where I was, but sessions like that’ll help for sure.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a lovely run this afternoon really enjoyed it

fernandopartridge

Just done a treadmill interval session. Jesus the hate treadmills.
I’ve lost so much fitness and put on a stone and a half since I was ill. It’s going to take hard work and dedication to get back to where I was, but sessions like that’ll help for sure.
I used to do a lot of treadmill intervals, think they're good as the treadmill forces a quicker pace. Great for weight loss. I've not done one for years!

Great_Expectations

I’ve mentioned it on this thread a few times before, but it really pisses me off when you intentionally (and obviously) move out of someone’s way when running, usually onto mud/roads/grass verges etc, and get no acknowledgement at all.

Sounds petty I know, but it’s basic manners!

I was approaching a tunnel under a railway line today and could see a couple had just entered the other end, so with the current Covid situation etc I stopped running and waited. They were middle aged but seemed to walk really slowly so it took a while, as they came out they knew I’d been waiting and I’d even stepped back to ensure I was at least 2m away, they looked at me deadpan and just carried on, no thank you, no nod of the head, no smile.

Hertsccfc

I’ve mentioned it on this thread a few times before, but it really pisses me off when you intentionally (and obviously) move out of someone’s way when running, usually onto mud/roads/grass verges etc, and get no acknowledgement at all.

Sounds petty I know, but it’s basic manners!

I was approaching a tunnel under a railway line today and could see a couple had just entered the other end, so with the current Covid situation etc I stopped running and waited. They were middle aged but seemed to walk really slowly so it took a while, as they came out they knew I’d been waiting and I’d even stepped back to ensure I was at least 2m away, they looked at me deadpan and just carried on, no thank you, no nod of the head, no smile.
This has happened to me a lot too. Really annoying and rude.

Also when walking i have had runners go past me really close. They were behind me and I didn't even know they were there.

Users who are viewing this thread