Running (4 Viewers)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Right so looking for advice on this.

Recently had to have a prolonged break from running with IT band issues. Built up to doing a fair few 20km+ runs for a little while when I got it.

Stopped distance running for a bit (about 4 months) and swapped it for hill sprints and did some physio strengthening exercises and went out and did my first 5km in ages the other day.

When building up to distances in excess of 20km, should I have been running them at a slower pace for a while to begin with? I have really bad issues in pacing myself and often find myself trying to beat previous times and paces constantly, is this the likely reason I got injured?

Is there a program I could follow to build back up to this? For reference I'm nearly 35, pretty athletic (do lots of other exercise), but I've had a hard paper round 🤣

ITB's are beggars aren't they (to say, spell in full, and just generally!)

had both of mine play me in recent years! Worst was when my right one went on the 10th mile marker of the Kenilworth half 2 years ago 😤

Still get a bit of jip from it now and am seeing a physio once a month! But until recently (maybe after 10 or so weeks of the first lockdown) my problem was listening to my body and wouldn't stop and always overdo it?

Less so now and I'm thinking I need to start listening to my body again but it's now telling me to get back out there!!

Jamesimus

ITB's are beggars aren't they (to say, spell in full, and just generally!)

had both of mine play me in recent years! Worst was when my right one went on the 10th mile marker of the Kenilworth half 2 years ago 😤

Still get a bit of jip from it now and am seeing a physio once a month! But until recently (maybe after 10 or so weeks of the first lockdown) my problem was listening to my body and wouldn't stop and always overdo it?

Less so now and I'm thinking I need to start listening to my body again but it's now telling me to get back out there!!

Similarly mine came on super suddenly after doing a 20km one. It's a really strange thing because I didn't find it painful, just super uncomfortable and when it comes on it makes bending at the knee near impossible at times.

And I can thoroughly understand overdoing it, I think that's how I pretty much always end up injured.

Travs

If anyone saw plenty of runners heading in all directions around south/west Cov yesterday morning, it was the Godiva Harriers Xmas race (organised by yours truly).

Starting at finishing at the clubhouse, had to visit Cov, Canley and Tile Hill Stations, in any order, any route.

I managed 59:19 and my route was 8.9 miles.

Fun had by all (possibly).

Sky_Blue_Daz

Fancied a run today ( honest) but was out doing a few jobs and I’m not 100% confident due to the snow

Bertola

Started off 2020 by starting couch to 5k and was enjoying it, but then a load of personal shit derailed it, and never got back to it.

I want to start again, but since September I've been struggling with plantar fasciitis (came on without any warning towards the end of the cricket season) so i'm nervous about it. I did a couple of 1k runs to pick the boy up for school last month, and whilst running I didn't feel it, but then later that night it came on with really bad pain again. Anyone got any suggestions about how to manage it? I've put on a load of weight (which won't be helping the injury), but want to get back out running

Sky_Blue_Daz

Started off 2020 by starting couch to 5k and was enjoying it, but then a load of personal shit derailed it, and never got back to it.

I want to start again, but since September I've been struggling with plantar fasciitis (came on without any warning towards the end of the cricket season) so i'm nervous about it. I did a couple of 1k runs to pick the boy up for school last month, and whilst running I didn't feel it, but then later that night it came on with really bad pain again. Anyone got any suggestions about how to manage it? I've put on a load of weight (which won't be helping the injury), but want to get back out running
I recommend compression socks you can also get insoles which should help

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Inspired by this thread, I did a 5k this morning, longest I've ran since doing the Oxford Town and Gown 10k in May 2015! Took it nice and steady, 28m14s, which I was reasonably happy with. Can justify a few beers watching the game tonight now 😁

Great_Expectations

Not ran for a few days (although I have been on the Peloton instead) and drank more ale than usual the last few nights, but hoping to finish the year with a half this afternoon - even if it’s slow going!

Planning to run to my Grans near Holy Family school (Beake Avenue, Holbrooks), likely starting around Nuneaton, so running around/through Bedworth, Exhall, Longford, Ash Green. I know a few people here run around those areas, any recommendations for routes/sections to incorporate into my route? I like running on the tow path but I think it’ll be an absolute mud path today!

fernandopartridge

I've not been out for a month after doing 3 consecutive 10k in a week, been very busy with work and having a nightmare with getting the two year old to bed.
Would like to go out today but there is a lot of compacted snow about on pavements, maybe I'll have to try running in the evening and along the (quiet) roads themselves

Travs

Not ran for a few days (although I have been on the Peloton instead) and drank more ale than usual the last few nights, but hoping to finish the year with a half this afternoon - even if it’s slow going!

Planning to run to my Grans near Holy Family school (Beake Avenue, Holbrooks), likely starting around Nuneaton, so running around/through Bedworth, Exhall, Longford, Ash Green. I know a few people here run around those areas, any recommendations for routes/sections to incorporate into my route? I like running on the tow path but I think it’ll be an absolute mud path today!

An alternative to running through town from Nuneaton is to head through Stockingford, turn left at Arbury Hall onto Astley Lane, and down those lanes to top end of Bedworth.

No path for a lot of it, but it's usually reasonably quiet, you just have to be aware...

Great_Expectations

An alternative to running through town from Nuneaton is to head through Stockingford, turn left at Arbury Hall onto Astley Lane, and down those lanes to top end of Bedworth.

No path for a lot of it, but it's usually reasonably quiet, you just have to be aware...

Thanks Travs. So you’d run past the Astley Book Farm?

Looks an interesting and new route, I’m just slightly nervous of the roads around there as are quite windy from memory and cars do go at a bit of a pace!

Travs

Thanks Travs. So you’d run past the Astley Book Farm?

Looks an interesting and new route, I’m just slightly nervous of the roads around there as are quite windy from memory and cars do go at a bit of a pace!

Yes past the book farm. When you get to the crossroads on the edge of Bedworth with the petrol garage, go straight across.... The junction at end of this road, turn right and you are on road past Pedleys/Ash Green/Prologis.

Yes it's both windy and cars shift along. But as long as you aren't wearing earphones I can't see an issue... I certainly use it regularly.

skyblue1991

Gyms are closed so it's back to running to keep the fitness up

Combined with dry January I'm hoping to feel better for it!

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AOM

Travs

Aiming to do 500 miles in 2020. What do people think the best way to break it down would be?

Depends what you're aiming for...

Easy as possible.... 1.5 miles a day.

If you want to improve at running you'd need to think about getting out and running nice and steady for longer than that... Which would likely see you smash 500 miles by the end of summer.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did 3:5 miles today will aim to get up to 5 by the end of January , just keep it at that again

robbiekeane

How do you get the calorie counter on there? Smart watch?
I do have a garmin forerunner smart watch which calculates that number, but I think even if you don’t, on Strava you get an estimated calorie burn anyway if you’ve put your height and weight on your profile. Do you use Strava?

Ccfcisparks

Just done my daily 1.5 miles and I think my old new balance are coming to the end of their useable life. Looking for some new trainers to run in, that if possible could double up as gym trainers. I’ve heard ASICS are good. What are you all running in at the moment.

SBAndy

Just done my daily 1.5 miles and I think my old new balance are coming to the end of their useable life. Looking for some new trainers to run in, that if possible could double up as gym trainers. I’ve heard ASICS are good. What are you all running in at the moment.

Just have some off-the-shelf Nikes but not overly comfortable and given the increase in running I was planning on heading to Coventry Runner when it opens and having some fitted.

Jamesimus

Brooks - managed to get some ones that were like 120 quid for 70 a few years ago because they are in awful colours haha.

Bit on the heavy side but the cushioning is decent and I run mainly on the roads

CrawleySkyBlue

Brooks - managed to get some ones that were like 120 quid for 70 a few years ago because they are in awful colours haha.

Bit on the heavy side but the cushioning is decent and I run mainly on the roads

Brooks ghosts for me. About to invest in the ghost 13s, currently using ghost 12s (on my second pair currently). They are neutral shoe.

They are well cushioned so make an ideal road running shoe, but that does make them slightly heavier as the above post states.

speedie87

Aiming to do 500 miles in 2020. What do people think the best way to break it down would be?

Think u’d need a time machine to do that one first!

I’d go work out how many times a week you can run then just build it slowly. Reckon your peak months will be March / April, then will be too hot over the summer then good sept time before dark nights kick in

Users who are viewing this thread