Running (7 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Daz

This may sound a stupid question and I apologise in advance . I was going to run from the canal basin if I stuck to the path would that bring me to the Ricoh ? If so roughly how far is it I’m guessing about 6 miles

sw88

Chief Commentator!
This may sound a stupid question and I apologise in advance . I was going to run from the canal basin if I stuck to the path would that bring me to the Ricoh ? If so roughly how far is it I’m guessing about 6 miles

Not a stupid question at all! I've often thought about tabbing that route, but have always wondered if being close to water with 14kg on my back especially in this climate is wise 🤣

Can't help with distance but it is longer than you'd think given how much it winds

Sky_Blue_Daz

Not a stupid question at all! I've often thought about tabbing that route, but have always wondered if being close to water with 14kg on my back especially in this climate is wise 🤣

Can't help with distance but it is longer than you'd think given how much it winds
Yes might leave it till the warmer weather kicks in hoping to be doing 7 or 8 miles at Easter , depending on my ankle

Great_Expectations

Yes might leave it till the warmer weather kicks in hoping to be doing 7 or 8 miles at Easter , depending on my ankle

I love running on the canal tow paths, generally pretty quiet, flat and often interesting scenery.

Only downside; the “path” can be a mixed bag, sometimes you get a proper one, other times it’s just mud and grass. Happened to me at the weekend on a section between Bulkington and Bedworth - due to the rain the mud path was essentially a bog for the majority of the route, so had to slow down a lot - didn’t fancy slipping into the canal!

Great_Expectations

14kg on your back? Running with weights?

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got 4 miles done today and a 5.5 mile walk yesterday
Gonna try a 5 mile run Thursday

Adge

All come crashing down for me I’m afraid-just got a positive Covid test. 🙄 Hoping all my good work isn’t going to go down the drain now and can get out again. Unfortunately not until at least a week on Friday.😢

robbiekeane

All come crashing down for me I’m afraid-just got a positive Covid test. 🙄 Hoping all my good work isn’t going to go down the drain now and can get out again. Unfortunately not until at least a week on Friday.😢
Sorry to hear that bud - any symptoms?

Sky_Blue_Daz

Hope your back on your feet soon

sw88

Chief Commentator!
14kg on your back? Running with weights?

Tabbing. We do it at bootcamp. It's what they do in the army. I have no desire to be in the army, but they get us doing it (I mean we pay for the privilege 🤣), but it is challenging, much more so than just running. The run part is actually the 'shakeoff' As to do it properly you go at a fast paced walk with short burst intervals in between.
we normally cover about 4 - 4.5miles in an hour, there or thereabouts

Travs

It's not 6 miles. I run from my house in Bedworth/Ash Green, to the canal behind Bedworth Park, along past the Greyhound, the Ricoh, and to the Canal Basin, and that is just about 9 miles.

So I'd say the Ricoh to canal basin is probably around 4.5 miles.

The path between the two has been maintained over the winter and is pretty much concrete all the way now.

From the canal basin the towpath is a decent surface all the way out to Marston Jabbet, then it deteriorates towards Nuneaton. On the other branch, its not so good from the north-east of Cov going towards Rugby.

Great_Expectations

It's not 6 miles. I run from my house in Bedworth/Ash Green, to the canal behind Bedworth Park, along past the Greyhound, the Ricoh, and to the Canal Basin, and that is just about 9 miles.

So I'd say the Ricoh to canal basin is probably around 4.5 miles.

The path between the two has been maintained over the winter and is pretty much concrete all the way now.

From the canal basin the towpath is a decent surface all the way out to Marston Jabbet, then it deteriorates towards Nuneaton. On the other branch, its not so good from the north-east of Cov going towards Rugby.

Does that mean the stretch from The Greyhound to Shilton isn’t great? Never explored that section but was/is on my to do list.

Travs

Does that mean the stretch from The Greyhound to Shilton isn’t great? Never explored that section but was/is on my to do list.

I can't rememeber exactly where it gets poor. I rememeber trying to cycle along it from the Greyhound to Rugby, and at some point it turned really poor.... You might get as far as Ansty/Shilton OK.

Definitely the section after that towards Brinklow I remember being quite muddy from the Cov Way Ultra Race, and that's in April, never mind mid-winter.

Great_Expectations

I’ve mentioned a few times the best part of running for me is planning the route and finding to find new sections/footpaths to incorporate and explore.

However I did what I’m calling a “free” run today; no route, no time, no mileage set, just ran and relied on my knowledge of the area, as well as exploring new parts I wouldn’t usually risk if I was on a time or mileage target. Really enjoyed it, felt great to just run and adapt my route on the move.

Great_Expectations

15.5 miles cross-country today with a mate from Nuneaton Harriers.... From Bedworth and out round the farms of Astley, Corley and surrounding areas.

I much prefer country roads, bridal paths, canal towpaths etc. Only downside is sometimes the public footpaths turn out to be not runnable/maintained or are through a field full of cows!

Could you post the route? Always looking for new parts to explore and it’ll be reassuring to know the routes you’ve chosen runnable!

Travs

I much prefer country roads, bridal paths, canal towpaths etc. Only downside is sometimes the public footpaths turn out to be not runnable/maintained or are through a field full of cows!

Could you post the route? Always looking for new parts to explore and it’ll be reassuring to know the routes you’ve chosen runnable!

That should link to it. I don't have Strava. All the off-road stuff was on public rights of way, but it was unclear over a number of the fields, did have to divert a couple of times, and yes a few horses in close contact!

Also incredibly wet and muddy.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Daz

Prior to breaking my leg , a particular favourite route for me was up the Tamworth road , left at the Church through Corley .Left onto stone house lane all the way down Past the white lion then up through coundon park . Lovely during the spring / summer although I got caught in the middle of Corley in a down pour that lasted about 10 minutes I was like a drowned rat .

Great_Expectations

That should link to it. I don't have Strava. All the off-road stuff was on public rights of way, but it was unclear over a number of the fields, did have to divert a couple of times, and yes a few horses in close contact!

Also incredibly wet and muddy.

Perfect - thank you.

Unclear paths on public rights of way really piss me off! Genuinely thought about complaining about a few, sad as that is.

Great_Expectations

Correct.

The ACW race/ultra/challenge is a good one if you can manage it. 40 miles.

I’m in for this year if it goes ahead.

Genuinely never heard of this until you both mentioned it here. Just reading the website now, sounds interesting. Although 40 miles is a long way in one go, it would require some proper training!

Have you/are you running solo or as a relay? Im assuming the relay is as it sounds, albeit I can’t find any more information on that option (how many in a team, minimum distances per runner etc).

Genuinely never heard of this until you both mentioned it here. Just reading the website now, sounds interesting. Although 40 miles is a long way in one go, it would require some proper training!

Have you/are you running solo or as a relay? Im assuming the relay is as it sounds, albeit I can’t find any more information on that option (how many in a team, minimum distances per runner etc).
No, full distance in one day is the challenge.

There are 21 circular walks, when we’re not in lockdown I’ve been organising groups to go out and do one each week.
Anyone welcome, if you want to know more I have a group on Facebook where I’ve been organising them.

Travs

Cov Way Ultra:

Yeah its one day. There'll be a lot more people walking it and taking 12hrs+ than running it.

Really important to pace it sensibly and keep eating/drinking. First year I did it (2018?) I was doing 7min/mile the first 10-15 miles, and by the time I got to Brinklow I was shagged.... Ended up dropping out at Bedworth after 30 miles.

The year after I paced it better... Still had a massive wobble between Bedworth and Corley, but recovered and did it in 6hrs54.

Its quite good terrain until you get to about Wolston then it gets a bit nastier, weather-depending. Hardest section is Ansty round to Corley as it's heavy going after Ansty and then Bedworth-Corley is generally uphill after 30 miles.

I had planned to organise a Godiva Harriers relay team for 2020 to attempt to take the record back from Kenilworth Runners.... But it didn't happen obviously.

As to the relay, go on the website and somewhere you will find the list of checkpoints (from memory.... Meriden-Kenilworth-Bubbenhall-Wolston-Brinklow-Bedworth-Corley-Meriden. I'm sure I've missed one out as I think I had 8 runners for my relay. But each runner (or pair/group of runners) does a leg between checkpoints.

The shortest leg is about 4 miles and I think the longest is closer to 8 or 10...

Last edited:

sw88

Chief Commentator!
No, full distance in one day is the challenge.

There are 21 circular walks, when we’re not in lockdown I’ve been organising groups to go out and do one each week.
Anyone welcome, if you want to know more I have a group on Facebook where I’ve been organising them.

thanks Mate! Just sent a request to join! Have often heard good things about the Coventry way but never got round to actually doing the main event yet!

thanks Mate! Just sent a request to join! Have often heard good things about the Coventry way but never got round to actually doing the main event yet!
Gotcha. It’s all quiet at the moment for obvious reasons, but once we’re allowed out to play again I’ll bring it back to life.

Users who are viewing this thread