Running (2 Viewers)

Rich

5-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-5 lamppost pyramid hill reps last night. Covered just over 5 miles.

Used the lamposts on the left only, so the 1 rep was right up to the top of the hill.

141032468_10158693308746041_2876770378197444416_o.jpg 141043391_10158693308871041_7627223274655385749_o.jpg 141379405_10158693308806041_581633665569514246_o.jpg

fernandopartridge

5-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-5 lamppost pyramid hill reps last night. Covered just over 5 miles.

Used the lamposts on the left only, so the 1 rep was right up to the top of the hill.

View attachment 18318View attachment 18319View attachment 18320
What's that, run to the first lamppost and back, second and back, third and back etc?

This is the elevation on my run, the town I live in is basically an east to west valley

673bf7dda050b2bb9b3cd2ae79e13836.jpg

Rich

What's that, run to the first lamppost and back, second and back, third and back etc?

This is the elevation on my run, the town I live in is basically an east to west valley

673bf7dda050b2bb9b3cd2ae79e13836.jpg
5 reps to the nearest
4 reps to the next
3 reps to the next
Etc and then back down again.
Each rep is different due to length of the rep and elevation. It was tough but a real good workout.
Never slept so well as last night.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Anyone been up the memorial park over the last 2/3 days ? Might go round the paths there tomorrow

Adge

Trying to build strength back up again after having Covid. On Tuesday managed 5 miles but couldn’t even do half that today and had to call it a day. No injuries or anything, just completely ran out of steam.
Going to try again on Saturday.

fernandopartridge

Just run my first 10k. Had planned to do it before Christmas but got there at last and managed to do it in under an hour.

To be honest it was easier than I thought it would be but have given myself a blister on the bottom of my foot. I need some running shoes. Any recommendations?

They're probably not open at the moment, but you're best off getting your gait analysed etc and getting a pair that suits them. My mate is a keen runner and uses coventryrunnner.co.uk. They won't be doing the gait analysis at the minute due to Covid. Then again looking at your name, not sure if you live in Cov or not.

I got mine done at Up & Running which is a nationwide chain Your Local Up & Running Store (upandrunning.co.uk)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Just run my first 10k. Had planned to do it before Christmas but got there at last and managed to do it in under an hour.

To be honest it was easier than I thought it would be but have given myself a blister on the bottom of my foot. I need some running shoes. Any recommendations?

I've got my most recent pair from Runners Need. Have also used SportsShoes. Depends on whether you know what you need to be looking for (neutral, support etc).

Want to stay local? Cov runner have been really engaging even during lockdown, even doing doorstep deliveries if local and Anne Marie is very engaging over messenger etc. Only challenge is trying them on but I'm guessing as long as they're not worn out you'd be welcome to return if you got them and they didn't fit etc but obvs they have to confirm that 😀)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I did a 4.8 miler yesterday! Suddenly dawned on me how slow id got after 3 years of working on my running 😢 43 mins last night 😣 yet in March my PB for a 10k was 45:03 (that :03 always annoyed me then, but now I know I should have been impressed!!)
Always say to others to ignore times, pace etc and just enjoy the run yet I can't do that myself!! Also annoying how my vo2 max has dropped so much after I had it at a consistent level (53) until September time last year! Now at 46.9 (last night)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got 4 miles done yesterday
Walked 3.5 with the dog today
And want to do another run tomorrow

Hertsccfc

They're probably not open at the moment, but you're best off getting your gait analysed etc and getting a pair that suits them. My mate is a keen runner and uses coventryrunnner.co.uk. They won't be doing the gait analysis at the minute due to Covid. Then again looking at your name, not sure if you live in Cov or not.

I got mine done at Up & Running which is a nationwide chain Your Local Up & Running Store (upandrunning.co.uk)
Thank you. You are right I don't live in Cov, but will look into upandrunning

Hertsccfc

I've got my most recent pair from Runners Need. Have also used SportsShoes. Depends on whether you know what you need to be looking for (neutral, support etc).

Want to stay local? Cov runner have been really engaging even during lockdown, even doing doorstep deliveries if local and Anne Marie is very engaging over messenger etc. Only challenge is trying them on but I'm guessing as long as they're not worn out you'd be welcome to return if you got them and they didn't fit etc but obvs they have to confirm that 😀)
Thank you

Philosorapter

Uttoxeter. I had the worst time of my life here as a youngster. Snowing, always windy, and why the hell do they make you go through all those streams when there are perfectly good bridges to use.

Also, got spiked on the back of the shoulder of all place climbing out of a brook. Horrible course, I always made my excuses not to turn up to this event. This is not in any way fun.

Travs

Uttoxeter. I had the worst time of my life here as a youngster. Snowing, always windy, and why the hell do they make you go through all those streams when there are perfectly good bridges to use.

Also, got spiked on the back of the shoulder of all place climbing out of a brook. Horrible course, I always made my excuses not to turn up to this event. This is not in any way fun.

This has been held at Aldersley Park Wolverhampton recently (next to Wolves Academy).

In 2019 I had the honour (misfortune) to step up to our first team, which I knew would put me way out of my depth. I was crapping it when our 2nd guy came round in the lead... I was on the 4th and final leg, and found myself heading out in 2nd place, with the cream of Tipton Harriers, Birchfield, etc, chasing me down.

I ran my heart out but we eventually finished 6th.

Must admit to really enjoying the relay events, whether they're over road/cross/fell.

Philosorapter

This has been held at Aldersley Park Wolverhampton recently (next to Wolves Academy).

In 2019 I had the honour (misfortune) to step up to our first team, which I knew would put me way out of my depth. I was crapping it when our 2nd guy came round in the lead... I was on the 4th and final leg, and found myself heading out in 2nd place, with the cream of Tipton Harriers, Birchfield, etc, chasing me down.

I ran my heart out but we eventually finished 6th.

Must admit to really enjoying the relay events, whether they're over road/cross/fell.

Wow, I haven't heard Birchfield Harriers being mentioned in 30 years. If you are running against them then you are a serious athlete. Talking about running courses that should be banned, Ampthill should be a candidate. Absolute mud bath, and then they get you to 'run' up the steepest hill you've ever seen. Well, I say run, it is more like a climb where you try not to slip down it.

I imagine these courses haven't changed much in the passage of time.

I think it's coming through that cross country wasn't my favourite thing to do.

Last edited:

Travs

Wow, I haven't heard Birchfield Harriers being mentioned in 30 years. If you are running against them then you are a serious athlete. Talking about running courses that should be banned, Ampthill should be a candidate. Absolute mud bath, and then they get you to 'run' up the steepest hill you've ever seen. Well, I say run, it is more like a climb where you try not to slip down it.

I imagine these courses haven't changed much in the passage of time.

I think it's coming through that cross country wasn't my favourite thing to do.

Birchfield Harriers still going very strongly. I'd say the top club in the Midlands is currently Notts AC, very closely followed by Birchfield Harriers and Bristol&West. I'd say we are currently in the next tier down, battling it out with Tipton Harriers, Cheltenham&County, CityOfStoke, Leicester Coritanian, Rugby&Northampton.

The Birmingham League Cross Country is up there as one of the strongest leagues in the country, so we are blessed around here... You've got Loughborough Uni (the olympic academy), the equally strong Birmingham Uni, Birchfield, TIpton, Cheltenham, Stoke, Wolves&Bilston, Rugby&Northampton, ourselves, Kenilworth, Leamington. The competition is ferocious, and if we get a strong team out i'll be lucky to score in the "B" team, and won't even be on the same page as the main scorers.

jordan210

I am super jealous of anyone who can run.

After doing the London marathon a few years ago. my knees and IT band are shot. Can just about manage a 5k and then have to rest for a few weeks before knees can do another run. I'm only 30 btw.

My one word of advice is make sure you get a gait test so you can see if you need support shoes. Also dont buy cheap shoes or stylish shoes like air max or vapormax. Get proper running shoes and Get the best you can afford. The ugly clumpy looking ones tend to be best if you have flat feet.

I used to use asics gel kayano think RRP is £125 but you can always pick up last years version for £70-£80. As I have slightly flat feet.

Travs

I am super jealous of anyone who can run.

After doing the London marathon a few years ago. my knees and IT band are shot. Can just about manage a 5k and then have to rest for a few weeks before knees can do another run. I'm only 30 btw.

My one word of advice is make sure you get a gait test so you can see if you need support shoes. Also dont buy cheap shoes or stylish shoes like air max or vapormax. Get proper running shoes and Get the best you can afford. The ugly clumpy looking ones tend to be best if you have flat feet.

I used to use asics gel kayano think RRP is £125 but you can always pick up last years version for £70-£80. As I have slightly flat feet.

I'm not saying you are wrong (everything is about opinions).... but i'm not necessarily in agreement.

I think far better if you're getting injured would be to let a running coach take a look at your technique. And perhaps even more importantly, runners are too quick to fly into those hard efforts, or just go out a couple of times a week and attempt a 5km/10km as quick as they can... it's a fast-lane to injury.

Rich

I'm not saying you are wrong (everything is about opinions).... but i'm not necessarily in agreement.

I think far better if you're getting injured would be to let a running coach take a look at your technique. And perhaps even more importantly, runners are too quick to fly into those hard efforts, or just go out a couple of times a week and attempt a 5km/10km as quick as they can... it's a fast-lane to injury.
Must agree, research has shown that running builds strength in areas such as knees. People who run generally have less knee issues in older age than those who don’t.

It may be that you just have weak knees and need to build up some strength in them?

Great_Expectations

Not ran since last Monday, so nearly two weeks when I tested positive for Covid.

Starting to feel more human now and getting the urge to run. However my fitness is going to be terrible; I was shattered after just walking my daughter around the block.

Going to be a slow build to get back to where I was.

SBAndy

Another 10k this morning and broke the hour mark (58:28), which is an achievement for me (previous PB was 1:02:10). Really struggled about 4 miles in and felt like my legs were going to give way after 5-5.5. Managed to get through it and sped up again towards the end, but it was hard.

Travs

Another 10k this morning and broke the hour mark (58:28), which is an achievement for me (previous PB was 1:02:10). Really struggled about 4 miles in and felt like my legs were going to give way after 5-5.5. Managed to get through it and sped up again towards the end, but it was hard.

How often do you run SBA..?

fernandopartridge

Our team at work set up a Strava club a while ago, good way of motivating yourself to go out as you don't want to be bottom oh the leaderboard. I think there is an SBT one isn't there?

Travs

Tends to be Mon/Wed/Fri each week. Why do you ask?

Just out of interest, and i was tempted to make a suggestion...

I don't know how often you attempt your 10km... but i'd suggest an idea would be to forget about timing any runs for 6-8 weeks... just go out and run them steadily, but if you can, just try and push the time you are out a little... on your way back, do an extra lap round the streets and try to push an extra half a mile.

6-8 weeks of regular running, then have another go at your 10km... i'd be quietly confident you might see some further decent results in your 10km time...

SBAndy

Just out of interest, and i was tempted to make a suggestion...

I don't know how often you attempt your 10km... but i'd suggest an idea would be to forget about timing any runs for 6-8 weeks... just go out and run them steadily, but if you can, just try and push the time you are out a little... on your way back, do an extra lap round the streets and try to push an extra half a mile.

6-8 weeks of regular running, then have another go at your 10km... i'd be quietly confident you might see some further decent results in your 10km time...

It’s only my 3rd ever 10k, the 2nd one having been last week! To be honest, I think they were a bit too close together for a relative novice like me. Was intending on doing a 10k every 4-5 weeks from now onwards. I’ve got into the habit more due to weight loss, and have dropped 24lbs in the last 5 months. Also means I can still have a few beers!

Appreciate the thoughts but I run in the mornings before work (so yes, I’m doing it fasted as well - probably another bad idea!) so am a little constrained by time. The Monday and Wednesday runs tend to be much shorter; a couple of miles so I don’t have to get up overly early.

Travs

I run fasted every morning too... if you're used to it, then i say continue, it's great for weight control.

Went out with the intention of doing some km reps this morning in Miners Welfare Park Bedworth... but the driving wind and sleet wasn't really conducive to good speedwork, so did a steady run instead... into Bedworth, Bulkington, Weston Hall, Whitestone, Gipsy Lane, Bedworth, and home. 10 miles at around 7:45/mile pace.

Looking forward to a longer, more challenging off-road run out tomorrow.

Travs

ps.... a few people on here talk about running out at Prologis and nearby areas... if anybody is struggling for motivation and fancies doing some reps round there on a saturday morning, or weekday evening, then drop me a message.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a lovely run today different route , Keresley green road, sandpits Lane , through the top end of coundon park crossed over through a country path with a hill that takes you up to coundon court school. Onto Norman place road left up Keresley road and home , just over 4 miles

Travs

Had a good run out today with a mate from Nuneaton Harriers. Out along the canal from Bedworth, Bulkington, Shilton, Ansty Golf Course, and back via Cov Way through Barnacle. 14 miles, nearly all off road and very hard going.

Great_Expectations

ps.... a few people on here talk about running out at Prologis and nearby areas... if anybody is struggling for motivation and fancies doing some reps round there on a saturday morning, or weekday evening, then drop me a message.

Once I’m over Covid, running again and feel I’ve regained some fitness I’m up for that.

Your route today sounded really good by the way - love off road and canal tow path running.

Users who are viewing this thread