Running (2 Viewers)

hill83

I used to do 100 metres until about 16 when I had a bad groin injury. To a decent level as well. When I used to play football my leg would be finished after about 20 minutes so I was anxious about doing this but it seems to be ok so far.

Travs

The difference between training for a 100mtr and a 5km is so vast as to basically be a different sport....

We have Olympic level at both in our club, and its night and day...

Ring Of Steel

Ran a marathon in 2009 then never ran again, took it up again recently to keep fit, I was doing 5km per day, then went to 10km- felt a bit sore after but nothing too bad, then a couple of days ago my left calf felt like it was tearing, and now if I try to run more than 50m it gives me bad pain.. With no physios etc available, anyone had experience of this? I have one of those 'foam rollers' and that eases it to the point I feel like I can run, but then I try and have to stop in minutes. From internet searching it seems like its a 'type 1 strain', its not torn for sure. Is total rest the only way to sort this?

Travs

When my Calf went a couple of years ago, unfortunately yes I did have to stop running for a couple of weeks. I was still able to use a cross-trainer, exercise bike.

It's incredibly frustrating. But better to err on the side of caution. Mine went in a race and it was only a fortnight before the national cross-country Champs. I rushed back too soon and made it worse.

Had another go at the Bedworth Parkrun course this morning. Experimented with starting slow, a full 20 seconds slower round the first smaller lap than I did last time. Ended up around 16 seconds quicker overall.

Still only 20:12 though. Not sure what's going on.... I'm doing very high mileage in training, little rest, and the lack of a competitive edge makes it tough. So I guess its a bit of everything.

tom88

Upped my run by 0.6 miles today and the averages stayed the same. Swallowed a fly half way round which put my breathing off but really starting to get into my stride. Really want to push sub 8 minutes

Attachments

• D13803DD-1C1B-4F27-B62A-27D42D2DBF89.jpeg
    D13803DD-1C1B-4F27-B62A-27D42D2DBF89.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 27

Rich

You'd be surprised how much it takes to knock off 45-60secs.... That's 20-30secs a mile.

13:53 for 2 miles is approx 21:40/5km pace, so probably about right for you.... I'd even say its very good if your 5km is around, was it 22:20..?

If you knock as much as 20secs/mile off that pace you're looking at down around
20:30/5km pace.
I’ve just been out and ran the club 40 minute relay. 4 runners, team with the highest accumulative distance takes the medal. Really happy to have smashed some pbs. 5km was 22.20 prior to this Set in jan and 10km was 48:11 set in March.

06FFFD68-7E2D-4831-B070-C7308E593385.jpeg

tommydazzle

Just started the NHS Couch to 5K programme. (Couch to A & E in my case maybe) Found the motivational Laura very good until it leapt from the 10 minutes to 20 minutes. This was too great a leap for me as an older runner so I’ve gradually built it up by 2 minutes at a time. Just got to 25 minutes and around 4.25K. Been amazed at how much better I feel. It has been over thirty years since I last ran any distance (playing footy) and even though I’m very active, I think I wasn’t getting the cardiovascular and impact exercise which makes such a difference. The paunch has pretty much disappeared as well. Recommend it to anyone whatever your age. Get a good pair of trainers and a gait analysis if you can.

Travs

Great stuff Crawley...!

I did a 2.1 mile time-trial down the "Greenway" between Burton Green and Kenilworth this evening. 12mins42 which is about 18:45 Parkrun pace (albeit over a mile less distance). So a bit more encouraging than my recent efforts.

Great_Expectations

I have been managing to up my running over the last few weeks, and ran 25 miles last week and 28 the one before.

I ran a half marathon on Sunday morning too, in a time of 1:52 which I was happy enough with. I don't class myself as a proper runner and at the minute it is about the distances and just being out running as opposed to times, which is evident in my lack of prep; I had too many beers on Saturday night/evening, culminating in a 1am bedtime, but I was determined I want to run 13.1 miles!

What running apps do people use? I use RunKeeperGo but I didn't realise I was paying for it until I got an email today! I am tempted to move to Strava as most people seem to be on there and rave about it. My only concern is around privacy as your runs are visible so it isn't too hard to work out where you live! Any thoughts?

tom88

I have been managing to up my running over the last few weeks, and ran 25 miles last week and 28 the one before.

I ran a half marathon on Sunday morning too, in a time of 1:52 which I was happy enough with. I don't class myself as a proper runner and at the minute it is about the distances and just being out running as opposed to times, which is evident in my lack of prep; I had too many beers on Saturday night/evening, culminating in a 1am bedtime, but I was determined I want to run 13.1 miles!

What running apps do people use? I use RunKeeperGo but I didn't realise I was paying for it until I got an email today! I am tempted to move to Strava as most people seem to be on there and rave about it. My only concern is around privacy as your runs are visible so it isn't too hard to work out where you live! Any thoughts?

I use Strava, you can set your profile to private so only your friends can see your runs

I’ve upped my running too, 19 miles last week, 42 miles in May which is up 4 miles on April.

Ran 7 miles Sunday in 59 minutes which I was pleased with

Great_Expectations

I use Strava, you can set your profile to private so only your friends can see your runs

I’ve upped my running too, 19 miles last week, 42 miles in May which is up 4 miles on April.

Thanks Tom - I saw that re privacy for just friends but it also says it may mean you are excluded from certain events/challenges etc! Think I am still going to go for it though.

Great running! I have been slowly upping mine without thinking about it too much, but now I have realised it is increasingly it is a challenge to myself to continue it.

I just need to get the balance right so I recover properly.

SBAndy

You can also set runs so only you can see them. Which is what I’ve been doing with my round-the-block 1 milers every other morning.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I’m probably gonna sound a bit soft here but honestly I can’t tell you how much I’ve missed running . Admittedly I’m only doing a short distance but I’ll add to it and at the moment my ankle is still holding up .

lordy_87

I just tried to run my usual route of 6km and had to stop after 3.5 and walk home - I felt knackered and like I was going to be sick. It's crazy how quickly your fitness deteriorates after not running for a week or so.

Rich

Went on a massive trail run around Stoneleigh this morning. Was meant to be 11.5, ended up at 13.5miles. Love exploring these trails but the stingers were huge in some places. 8BFA12F2-2E05-4075-BFEC-80195E1E19C6.jpeg 688A6E8A-4C06-4F99-B155-06165ED5E6C9.jpeg

Sky Blue Pete

I just tried to run my usual route of 6km and had to stop after 3.5 and walk home - I felt knackered and like I was going to be sick. It's crazy how quickly your fitness deteriorates after not running for a week or so.
Heat and dehydration will do that

CrawleySkyBlue

Nice and steady 25km today. 1hr47 (4:17 /km). My longest ever run, only ever done one 1/2 marathon before. Felt good on this run. A much much slower day tomorrow.

larry_david

Been upping my running. I suffer from shit shins so every jog is different. Last Sunday I had to stop after 2k, couldn't believe it. Stop start stop start from that point as my legs were on fire. Forced myself out the next day ran 5k no stopping no hint of bad shins. There must be reasoning behind it but I'm not sure.

Seeing as amateur football won't be back til at least sept I imagine, I'm gonna take the plunge and buy better running shoes

tommydazzle

Got to my 5k this week running the local grassy footpaths. Checked it using the Google Earth measuring tool (I’d checked this tool against the university running track and it was spot on) which in turn showed my Fitbit to be way off.

My two problems are I can’t run if its warm. It has to be cold, preferably really cold so I’m worried that I won’t be able to keep up the momentum over summer. It’s already too warm even at 8am. The other is I can’t get the breathing right. Breathing in through the nose doesn’t get me enough oxygen. Anyway as Daz says, really enjoying the increased fitness and look forward to the runs. Pity Parkruns are off at the moment, that was my resolution for this year.

Sky Blue Pete

Got to my 5k this week running the local grassy footpaths. Checked it using the Google Earth measuring tool (I’d checked this tool against the university running track and it was spot on) which in turn showed my Fitbit to be way off.

My two problems are I can’t run if its warm. It has to be cold, preferably really cold so I’m worried that I won’t be able to keep up the momentum over summer. It’s already too warm even at 8am. The other is I can’t get the breathing right. Breathing in through the nose doesn’t get me enough oxygen. Anyway as Daz says, really enjoying the increased fitness and look forward to the runs. Pity Parkruns are off at the moment, that was my resolution for this year.
Won’t be long as it’s ok to do what your instinct says now

speedie87

Been upping my running. I suffer from shit shins so every jog is different. Last Sunday I had to stop after 2k, couldn't believe it. Stop start stop start from that point as my legs were on fire. Forced myself out the next day ran 5k no stopping no hint of bad shins. There must be reasoning behind it but I'm not sure.

Seeing as amateur football won't be back til at least sept I imagine, I'm gonna take the plunge and buy better running shoes

Even how I lace my shoes, and how tight they are etc has massive difference in my dodgy shins!

larry_david

Even how I lace my shoes, and how tight they are etc has massive difference in my dodgy shins!

Crazy isn't it. Just did 7k,in this heat after a pizza hut takeaway to run my furthest since tracking it I'm delighted.

1k was horrendous, knee playing up and foot burning but without noticing it stopped and got to my house having done 4k and thought, fuck it at least finish the 5 off and ended up just keeping on going round the block. 10k is on my horizon

Marty

First run in months yesterday, did a couple of laps around Hearsall Common, 2.5km at a super slow pace, my legs are screaming today. Leg below the knee still feels a bit loose though, but not getting the numbness, which I suppose is a good sign. Going to take it slow and continue with the muscle building in the legs, hopefully be back to normal by the end of the year.

Travs

Measure my mileage over ten week blocks as I find it gives a better overall picture of consistent mileage.

Last ten week block which ended Sunday, averaged 57 miles per week, and that included one full week off. So working from home them being furloughed had a massive effect of increased training time.

Not seemed to get any faster yet! But hoping for a delayed effect which will provide better stamina for later in the year.

As I've often mentioned, I partake in fellrunning. Whilst I love about running that generally the harder you train the better you'll be, fellrunning also has descending down very steep, sometimes almost vertical mountains. This requires more than just effort, as you need not just effort but technique and sheer bravery to excel. Strength is required moreso than on the roads, as when you descend steeply you can multiply the forces on your legs several times.... And then doing that off an uneven slippy mountain it multiplies it even more...

I should probably add that I'm comparatively very poor at descending than climbing.... A definite case of having far more effort than skill!

Which brings me to last week and my first fell run in a couple of months (in Shropshire) due to the lockdown putting travel out of bounds.

Did 12 miles and the effort of constant climbing and descending reduced my legs to absolutely useless. It was three days before I could get down the stairs without going backwards. Not so much lack of fitness, but lack of conditioning and hard racing.

SBAndy

Didn’t bother going for a run yesterday so I’ve dragged myself out of bed this morning to do the 1-mile lap of the block. Absolutely flew out the traps and set PBs for the first 400m, 1/2 mile and 1km. Got to within about 150m of the end and just couldn’t breathe any more so had to walk for 20 seconds or so. Still beat my previous best by 20-odd seconds so it’s definitely coming, just needed to pace that start a bit better. Could have broken the 7-minute barrier today if I hadn’t had to stop.

CrawleySkyBlue

Measure my mileage over ten week blocks as I find it gives a better overall picture of consistent mileage.

Last ten week block which ended Sunday, averaged 57 miles per week, and that included one full week off. So working from home them being furloughed had a massive effect of increased training time.

Not seemed to get any faster yet! But hoping for a delayed effect which will provide better stamina for later in the year.

As I've often mentioned, I partake in fellrunning. Whilst I love about running that generally the harder you train the better you'll be, fellrunning also has descending down very steep, sometimes almost vertical mountains. This requires more than just effort, as you need not just effort but technique and sheer bravery to excel. Strength is required moreso than on the roads, as when you descend steeply you can multiply the forces on your legs several times.... And then doing that off an uneven slippy mountain it multiplies it even more...

I should probably add that I'm comparatively very poor at descending than climbing.... A definite case of having far more effort than skill!

Which brings me to last week and my first fell run in a couple of months (in Shropshire) due to the lockdown putting travel out of bounds.

Did 12 miles and the effort of constant climbing and descending reduced my legs to absolutely useless. It was three days before I could get down the stairs without going backwards. Not so much lack of fitness, but lack of conditioning and hard racing.

Is there anyway to train for fellrunning then? Or is it a case of taking parts in lots of events and gaining experience/skill that way? Must be difficult to be regularly practicing the steep descents?

Tried my arm at a flat 5km yesterday - new pb of 18:03 (3:37 per km). I pushed hard. Be interested to know how much having someone to chase or having someone breathing down my neck would help decrease the time by - a few seconds maybe.

Travs

Is there anyway to train for fellrunning then? Or is it a case of taking parts in lots of events and gaining experience/skill that way? Must be difficult to be regularly practicing the steep descents?

Tried my arm at a flat 5km yesterday - new pb of 18:03 (3:37 per km). I pushed hard. Be interested to know how much having someone to chase or having someone breathing down my neck would help decrease the time by - a few seconds maybe.

Great stuff on the pb!

Fellrunning... It's still running... It's no surprise that the current top man is in the top 50 or so national cross-country runners (by comparison I have a Parkrun pb of around 18:30 and can't make the top 1000 in the national cross Champs) ... And another of the top guys has a pb of around 31mins for 5km.

But of course there's more to it than that. As well as that mileage, I have to try to average at least 10,000ft of ascent each week. So a huge proportion of that 57 miles per week is uphill on a treadmill. (Which no doubt has a negative impact on my flat times).

I'm a strong climber and can really mix it at the front in some decent standard races... But as soon as we hit the tops I lose out to the mountain natives... Just can't train for the rough stuff living here (and I'm simply not good enough quality). Descending amplifies that inferiority even further.

So yeah you still train to similar principles, but unless you are a really special runner, you're never going to be a really good Fellrunner unless you live or can access the big Fells several times a week.

And then there's the fact that many races don't have a route... Just a list of checkpoints (perhaps mountain summits for example), so being able to read the ground and pick effective routes plays a massive part... And that's if you can actually see where you're going once you're up there...

tom88

Ran this yesterday. Really pleased as I was aiming for sub 8 min miles. I’ve shaved off just under 1 minute per mile over the 4 miles

Attachments

• 9655C28D-C155-4612-9120-3D5218D4F71F.jpeg
    9655C28D-C155-4612-9120-3D5218D4F71F.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 13

Great_Expectations

Slowly upping my weekly mileage and have completed two half marathons, one last Sunday and one the Sunday just gone and I am planning to complete a third this Sunday. It has upped my weekly mileage to ~32 miles per week. I am running most days, with a second longer run (7-8 miles) on a Wednesday and Saturday/Monday as rest days. I tend to go early in the morning as we are up early with my daughter anyway, and it is out of the way then too! I don't care too much about pacing, more just knowing I can complete certain distances.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have switched to Strava but I seem to have timed it badly, as you can't see weekly stats and a lot of other elements without the paid version. Does anyone use Strava Summit/Premium and is it worth it?

And is anyone part of any of the clubs?

Rich

Slowly upping my weekly mileage and have completed two half marathons, one last Sunday and one the Sunday just gone and I am planning to complete a third this Sunday. It has upped my weekly mileage to ~32 miles per week. I am running most days, with a second longer run (7-8 miles) on a Wednesday and Saturday/Monday as rest days. I tend to go early in the morning as we are up early with my daughter anyway, and it is out of the way then too! I don't care too much about pacing, more just knowing I can complete certain distances.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have switched to Strava but I seem to have timed it badly, as you can't see weekly stats and a lot of other elements without the paid version. Does anyone use Strava Summit/Premium and is it worth it?

And is anyone part of any of the clubs?

Well done on upping the mileage.

I’m a Strava premium user and to be honest at £4 a month I can’t argue with what I get from it. Would recommend to anyone looking to analyse and improve.

I’m also a fairly new member of Northbrook. It’s a godsend. Since joining in November I’ve made loads of friends with a common interest and brought my 5k time down from 24:00 to one I ran a couple of weeks ago 21:35.

Northbrook also have numerous virtual events on at the moment and you’re welcome to become a virtual member for free at the moment. We’ve had quite a few join on this basis, with challenges and training set out on Facebook and email every week.

Great_Expectations

What are the main benefits of it?

Thanks Rich - I will bear Northbrook in mind, however I’m not too keen on joining a running club yet, although that will change at some point.

I appreciate forums are all about anonymity, and I don’t know enough about it so it may not even be an option. But could we do a SBT Strava running club?

Users who are viewing this thread