Running (3 Viewers)

Rich

First strava run as the caption says.

How accurate is strava, GPS etc? I'm quite surprised and this run as my old ipod shuffle had a run function but it was 1.6 out by this reckoning. So if GPS is the more accurate I've been doing about 1.6k further for the past 8 weeks without knowing it. I look slimmer already!
Strava is as accurate as the device used to capture the run. If you’re using a phone and it’s in a pocket they have a tendency to have intermittent gps and give some weird distances some times.

Yours looks pretty accurate on that picture though.

Marty

First strava run as the caption says.

How accurate is strava, GPS etc? I'm quite surprised and this run as my old ipod shuffle had a run function but it was 1.6 out by this reckoning. So if GPS is the more accurate I've been doing about 1.6k further for the past 8 weeks without knowing it. I look slimmer already!

Ignore the calories function on all fitness apps, they over estimate by up to 40%.

Ring Of Steel

I’m in- I noticed that the last couple of runs I went on I had the Garmin set to “walk” which makes it look like I’m the fastest walker in the country. I’m only new and crocked & highly unlikely to be setting any records, but this is a great idea.

Rich

I’m in- I noticed that the last couple of runs I went on I had the Garmin set to “walk” which makes it look like I’m the fastest walker in the country. I’m only new and crocked & highly unlikely to be setting any records, but this is a great idea.
You can change it to run.

SBAndy

Strava is as accurate as the device used to capture the run. If you’re using a phone and it’s in a pocket they have a tendency to have intermittent gps and give some weird distances some times.

Yours looks pretty accurate on that picture though.

I ran 0.14 miles in 7 minutes the other day according to my phone GPS. Strange as every other day I’ve run it it’s clocked at just under a mile (0.94 to be precise).

Rich

I ran 0.14 miles in 7 minutes the other day according to my phone GPS. Strange as every other day I’ve run it it’s clocked at just under a mile (0.94 to be precise).
Yup phone gps seems to be pretty poor. Weird as a couple of years ago I always used my phone and it was fine.

Ian1779

I know this might be better on the Tech section but I want to buy some AirPods (or something similar) to wear when running. Has anyone got any thoughts an which are best or which ones they use and can recommend?

Thanks

Ring Of Steel

I know this might be better on the Tech section but I want to buy some AirPods (or something similar) to wear when running. Has anyone got any thoughts an which are best or which ones they use and can recommend?

Thanks

AirPods- don’t rate ‘em.

I have Bose Soundsport Free- they’re waterproof, designed for running and so to never fall out no matter what you’re doing, they charge in about 15mins flat with good battery life and the sound quality is brilliant. They’re permanently on me ready to use and I would strongly recommend them!

Travs

I just use a pair of Sennheiser Bluetooth headphones. Never had any issues.

Alrhough I only use them when treadmill running... Never use headphones when I'm on the roads.

Rich

I did a half marathon today with a hydration pack. I stuck my phone in one of the straps and had it on loudspeaker. Worked really well for me. I don’t like things on my head or in my ears while running.

tom88

Decided to do something different today. Didn’t have much time to get out for a 10km so wanted to run a mile as fast as I could. Then took a slower run back. So only managed 2 miles today. Hopefully tomorrow get out for a 10km

Attachments

• 68D23886-1BDF-47D2-B748-44C767730906.jpeg
    68D23886-1BDF-47D2-B748-44C767730906.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 30

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I thought a Strava was some sort of Polish sausage?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I did a half marathon today with a hydration pack. I stuck my phone in one of the straps and had it on loudspeaker. Worked really well for me. I don’t like things on my head or in my ears while running.
I ran a half marathon once. Sounds better than saying "I gave up half way during the London Marathon"!

Travs

That's a great weekly mileage and if you can keep anything even approaching that on a regular basis the improvements will be huge.

We are always told that consistency is the key...

Rich

That's a great weekly mileage and if you can keep anything even approaching that on a regular basis the improvements will be huge.

We are always told that consistency is the key...
I’m normally around 20/30miles, this week has been exceptional.
Had a remote gait analysis from my physio which has made a huge difference to my ability to run without injury.

Rich

What’s that??
He’s analysed my running style, told me what pronation I am for buying trainers. But the main thing he’s done is pointed out weak parts of my body and helped me to correct my running style.

I’ve had severe sciatica recently and he’s made changes that have allowed me to cover 50miles in one week pain free. It’s amazing the instant impact it’s had.

Sky Blue Pete

He’s analysed my running style, told me what pronation I am for buying trainers. But the main thing he’s done is pointed out weak parts of my body and helped me to correct my running style.

I’ve had severe sciatica recently and he’s made changes that have allowed me to cover 50miles in one week pain free. It’s amazing the instant impact it’s had.
Who is it?

Travs

I know that chap.... John.

Decent guy.... Went to him when I had achilles problems about 6 years ago.

He was heavily involved with physio for Cov RFC at one time (and possibly one or two football teams).

larry_david

Ran the same route today to check comparisons. Couple 100 meters out but spotted a weird anomaly on the first run, GPS must have messed up but still over 6k so I'm happy.

Strava doesn't seem to have audio checkpoints though is that right?

Marty

Ran the same route today to check comparisons. Couple 100 meters out but spotted a weird anomaly on the first run, GPS must have messed up but still over 6k so I'm happy.

No it doesn't, Run keeper does.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got a 25 minute run planned for later , longest I’ve done in ages

tom88

not too sure what your mean by audio checkpoints but Strava Does have an audio setting which tells you your mile or half mile split time and your total running time

larry_david

not too sure what your mean by audio checkpoints but Strava Does have an audio setting which tells you your mile or half mile split time and your total running time
Yeah that's what I mean. So when you hit 1k it tells you you are there and what time.

Think it only does it if you have mobile data data on though?

tom88

Yeah that's what I mean. So when you hit 1k it tells you you are there and what time.

Think it only does it if you have mobile data data on though?

yes Strava has audio check points. You can set it in miles or KM and if you want to be told every half or full mile/KM

Users who are viewing this thread