Match Thread Rotherham (1 Viewer)

Gibbo

This will be very tight, imho, with both sides determined not to lose, first foremost. It was a tight affair last time, likely to be again. If it was a struggle against Derby and Forest, please explain why it will not be equally so against another fellow struggler?

Regarding the team, about the only thing I have an absolute opinion on is that we need Kelly, Sheaf and Hamer all on the pitch at the same time. Four at the back keeps the full backs too occupied at the back. That drives you towards 5-3-2 or 5-3-1-1 - so I would go for three at the back plus Dabo & Giles on a brief to get forward.

Once you have a 5 at the back and 3 in midfield it only leaves two slots for Walker, Baka/Biamou or O'Hare. Peronally I'd go one (Walker) at the front with O'Hare in the pocket. So yes one up front...

As he did against Norwich, but not against Derby, all 5 subs should be used - Biamou, MaCallum and Bapaga in particular.

For the first time, I found myself thinking 'We'll miss Godden' - that's basically because this is really a League One game.

DannyThomas_1981

This will be very tight, imho, with both sides determined not to lose, first foremost. It was a tight affair last time, likely to be again. If it was a struggle against Derby and Forest, please explain why it will not be equally so against another fellow struggler?

Regarding the team, about the only thing I have an absolute opinion on is that we need Kelly, Sheaf and Hamer all on the pitch at the same time. Four at the back keeps the full backs too occupied at the back. That drives you towards 5-3-2 or 5-3-1-1 - so I would go for three at the back plus Dabo & Giles on a brief to get forward.

Once you have a 5 at the back and 3 in midfield it only leaves two slots for Walker, Baka/Biamou or O'Hare. Peronally I'd go one (Walker) at the front with O'Hare in the pocket. So yes one up front...

As he did against Norwich, but not against Derby, all 5 subs should be used - Biamou, MaCallum and Bapaga in particular.

For the first time, I found myself thinking 'We'll miss Godden' - that's basically because this is really a League One game.

100% agreed. I would introduce Max after 60 minutes depending on the game situation.

KersleyDigs

Two up top. Biamou and Walker. Rotherham play an aggressive high press, so we need a solid option direct.
Wingbacks and a flat three in midfield of Hamer, Sheaf, Kelly. O'Hare off the bench for impact/energy later on

hill83

Is he going to sing Tulips from Amsterdam? Probably better chance of singing that than scoring.

s960_05_Coarse_Eng3_Fr_-_small.jpg

Johhny Blue

Surprised at the negative predictions on here, we finished 5 points above pretty much the same Rotherham team last season they are nothing special. No doubt in my mind we are a better side than them.
We struggled to deal with them physically for the first at St. Andrews but they tired and they were lucky to get a point that night.

Wilson
Dabo osti fadz Hyam giles
Hamer kelly sheaf
bakayoko Biamou

Baka and Biamou always caused problems when they have played together (Fleetwood, Peterborough, Birmingham). Walker ohare if we need a goal.

also it felt like Richard wood was in his 30s when he played for us how is he only 35?!
Did you really say “start with Baka and Biamou and bring on Walker/O’Hare if we need a goal”
Over to you Grendel

johnwillomagic

TBF to ginger I have stated I'd like Baka to start in a front two with Walker for this game which I think should happen but won't.

Truth be told in the limited times they have played in a front two I agree they've done well - Peterboro away they were very good.

However do not agree on starting both as think Walker has drop on them both in terms of quality - would like us to start with two up top Walker with one other ideally Baka if not Max have a feeling we will start with one up top though....!!!

oakey

Three sleepless hours last night led to this team
Wilson
Dabo Ostigard Fadz Hyam McCallum
Kelly Sheaf
Hamer
Walker Biamou

Gibbo

Everybody including me is going for 5 at the back. Anybody want to stick up for four - 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3?

Mucca Mad Boys

Everybody including me is going for 5 at the back. Anybody want to stick up for four - 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3?

We’ll probably stick with the same team that start at Derby, with Sheaf in for Shipley.

That said, we might mix things up. 3 games a week takes its toll and we’ll have to keep things fresh.

Frostie

Looking again at the highlights I can't see anything that suggests Sheaf was to blame for any of their goals,

He wasn't, but that doesn't fit the narrative that some had already decided for him

So what does he do then? Give the ball away? 84 p/c from short passes (not his fault, most of them will be taking the ball of a ch and passing it back, getting it back and making a pass to the opponents). Does he set up goals? No. Can he play the Kelly role? No. Ball retention? Not really but I’d play him on sat because we need an extra body in midfield alongside Kelly and hamer. If you think he’s made an impact as the player we chased for a month all summer then you are deluded.

Your understanding of his role for the team is non existent & so you've resorted to making up evidence to support your theory that he's not good enough.

This is how Sheaf compares to Kelly as apparently he only passes backwards...

Screenshot_20201203-170934~2.png

Given Robins has picked him more than any other player it would suggest you're the one that's deluded.

Brighton Sky Blue

Walker was stranded at Derby, against a physical side like Rotherham it would be worse. Don’t see Robins changing his mind, will probably still be 4-5-1 with Biamou for Walker after 85 minutes

87 n all that

He wasn't, but that doesn't fit the narrative that some had already decided for him

Your understanding of his role for the team is non existent & so you've resorted to making up evidence to support your theory that he's not good enough.

This is how Sheaf compares to Kelly as apparently he only passes backwards...

View attachment 17727

Given Robins has picked him more than any other player it would suggest you're the one that's deluded.
Thank you Grendel Cronie. Well done. Give me the real stats. Games played. Goals conceded when sheaf is playing alongside Kelly and when he’s not, points won when Kelly is in the team and when sheaf is marshalling the midfield without Kelly there. Games played when Kelly isn’t present and sheaf is and points won. Have a day off cronie

SlowerThanPlatt

Thank you Grendel Cronie. Well done. Give me the real stats. Games played. Goals conceded when sheaf is playing alongside Kelly and when he’s not, points won when Kelly is in the team and when sheaf is marshalling the midfield without Kelly there. Games played when Kelly isn’t present and sheaf is and points won. Have a day off cronie

Thank you and sorry would have sufficed

Brighton Sky Blue

There’s too many other variables to pinpoint it to that. Sheaf has made one or two hospital passes a game but think his strengths outweigh the weaknesses. That said I wanted Sheaf/Hamer/Kelly ages ago and yet to see it

87 n all that

Taking passes of defenders and returning it is pass completion, so is not giving the ball away that leads to goals (Bournemouth) and playing a 20-30 yard pass to the opposition that puts us under pressure not even up for debate. Green flag and red flag stats is bullshit. It’s like comparing a defender on how many tackles be makes or loses but hey he loses tackles but he can play a 5-10 yard pass and receive it back from another defender and his completion is 84 % but hey we only let in 3 goals this game. Give up cronie

mark82

Ironic you calling him Grendel cronie when you're the one acting like Grendel.

shmmeee

Taking passes of defenders and returning it is pass completion, so is not giving the ball away that leads to goals (Bournemouth) and playing a 20-30 yard pass to the opposition that puts us under pressure not even up for debate. Green flag and red flag stats is bullshit. It’s like comparing a defender on how many tackles be makes or loses but hey he loses tackles but he can play a 5-10 yard pass and receive it back from another defender and his completion is 84 % but hey we only let in 3 goals this game. Give up cronie

Are you OK?

SlowerThanPlatt

Oh dear - you asked for the stats, don’t like them and now revert to Grendel

87 n all that

Ironic you calling him Grendel cronie when you're the one acting like Grendel.
I don’t bury players at all and deliberately pick on one that has scored for us in 3 leagues (spent a year out) and come back and helped us to be where we are. Thank you cronie 2.

Brighton Sky Blue

Sheaf did set up Reading’s first goal and as I said he does land us in it once or twice a game. Then again even Hamer can be sloppy in possession, we’ve been a bit dodgy with it all season

Users who are viewing this thread