Match Thread Rotherham United vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 5th Oct (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

Yeah but we should never have presented that opportunity to them. With the double jeopardy ruling the ref is saying that McFadzean never made a genuine challenge for the ball on his red card. Find that a bit strange.
Me too. In fact it’s yellow at best and I’m not sure it’s always given

Fergusons_Beard

One thing about Rotherham that hasn’t been mentioned was their physicality.

We just didn’t look prepared for it, weren’t cute enough to deal with it and ultimately they bullied us out of the game.

It’s stuff like this that you don’t see on highlights or iFollow.

Every time a pass was played the opposition would nudge or barge into them before the ball came to them. Kasteneer, O Hare and Godden all got battered in the first half.

Instead of going down after this contact our players were off balance and seemingly not able to control the pass-plus then the defender continued to our muscle them (the majority of the time illegally) and this led to a breakdown in the way we play.

Rotherham also cut off our outlet balls to the midfield. Our front 3 & midfield stopped moving and that led to our defenders (mainly Kyle) having to bring up the ball & try ridiculous wonder passed. Don’t get me wrong Fadz played terribly (& has been a liability for weeks now) but if you have no outlet ball and you are being closed down it’s no surprise that it led to misplaced passes (haven’t seen our completed passes stat but I bet it was the worse this season).

Well done to Rotherham for squeezing our play and creating mistakes. But again the fault lies at Robins door. He must have known Rotherham were a physical side and must have known they’d press and be very direct. So where was OUR plan? Smacks of ill preparation and arrogance.

I just hope Robins and our players learn from this-we have to have a plan to deal with the physicality and the press.

Strategically they matched our 4-3-3-they obviously had been working on this. Robins could have neutralised this by played a 4-4-2 with Godden & Baka. ( the only player we had to match up to Utds physicality).

We also fell for Warne’d mind games-he bigged up our passing game and we fell right into the trap.

Let’s hope yesterday was a blip & that Robins no longer falls for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

larry_david

Yep. They were big, strong and bullied us. Our midfield looked terrified until Kelly came on. I got criticism on here for calling Walsh a terrible footballer. Which of course he is not, he was utter garbage yesterday. First tough took him backwards, 2nd touch to their player.

My Rotherham supporting mate warned me they were big and that their best player was Smith who is a monster and hastie who has no right foot whatsoever. Sure enough we didn't look like we'd prepared for either of those possibilities

Fergusons_Beard

Yep. They were big, strong and bullied us. Our midfield looked terrified until Kelly came on. I got criticism on here for calling Walsh a terrible footballer. Which of course he is not, he was utter garbage yesterday. First tough took him backwards, 2nd touch to their player.

My Rotherham supporting mate warned me they were big and that their best player was Smith who is a monster and hastie who has no right foot whatsoever. Sure enough we didn't look like we'd prepared for either of those possibilities

Yep Walsh not like the best yesterday. Although most players found it difficult to receive the ball with 2 players up the arse and no one around to pass to difficult.

Only O’Hare had quality to do this and even he struggled.

This led to Hiwula and Gervene coming very deep to get the ball and isolated Godden(again!!).

Sky Blue Harry H

The isolation of godden was terrifying.

Sounds like the title of a play...seriously though, if we cannot the wing positions resolved, he may have to look at tinkering to get support alongside him. They'll be on top of this, though,

cc84cov

Shipley

Anyone know why this guy takes set pieces ? Yesterday they were shambolic free kicks he was putting in absolutely pathetic

CCFC54321

One thing about Rotherham that hasn’t been mentioned was their physicality.

We just didn’t look prepared for it, weren’t cute enough to deal with it and ultimately they bullied us out of the game.

It’s stuff like this that you don’t see on highlights or iFollow.

Every time a pass was played the opposition would nudge or barge into them before the ball came to them. Kasteneer, O Hare and Godden all got battered in the first half.

Instead of going down after this contact our players were off balance and seemingly not able to control the pass-plus then the defender continued to our muscle them (the majority of the time illegally) and this led to a breakdown in the way we play.

Rotherham also cut off our outlet balls to the midfield. Our front 3 & midfield stopped moving and that led to our defenders (mainly Kyle) having to bring up the ball & try ridiculous wonder passed. Don’t get me wrong Fadz played terribly (& has been a liability for weeks now) but if you have no outlet ball and you are being closed down it’s no surprise that it led to misplaced passes (haven’t seen our completed passes stat but I bet it was the worse this season).

Well done to Rotherham for squeezing our play and creating mistakes. But again the fault lies at Robins door. He must have known Rotherham were a physical side and must have known they’d press and be very direct. So where was OUR plan? Smacks of ill preparation and arrogance.

I just hope Robins and our players learn from this-we have to have a plan to deal with the physicality and the press.

Strategically they matched our 4-3-3-they obviously had been working on this. Robins could have neutralised this by played a 4-4-2 with Godden & Baka. ( the only player we had to match up to Utds physicality).

We also fell for Warne’d mind games-he bigged up our passing game and we fell right into the trap.

Let’s hope yesterday was a blip & that Robins no longer falls for it.

I have to say that is an excellent post.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Sounds like the title of a play...seriously though, if we cannot the wing positions resolved, he may have to look at tinkering to get support alongside him. They'll be on top of this, though,

The Isolation of Godden is the long awaiting follow-up to Waiting for Godot

Sky Blue Harry H

Kyle Mc FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF (poor sod !)

Don't play cards on the way home on the coach Kyle, it won't go well!

Users who are viewing this thread