Robins plays down McG chances (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

Well that was your response to my comment Thorn did not rate him -- did not start him in 30 games and also played him out of position most of the time.

Maybe you should read my response again. I can't see a word in it that you just said

Grendel

Maybe you should read my response again. I can't see a word in it that you just said

Well you seem to be avoiding my original point -- namely the manager at the time did not rate him as he rarely played him after Ocotber.

Why was that do you think?

dongonzalos

Scheme said biggi went because he was treated badly.
I said SISU will accept any offer for any player if they think it is a fair price.
You said especially if the manager does not rate the player
I said what the manager thinks about the player will not be considered by SISU.

You said something very bizarre.

Grendel

Scheme said biggi went because he was treated badly.
I said SISU will accept any offer for any player if they think it is a fair price.
You said especially if the manager does not rate the player
I said what the manager thinks about the player will not be considered by SISU.

You said something very bizarre.

...and you are avoiding the question. How could anyone justify holding onto a player the manager hardly ever considered worthy of playing in what many though was our worst side in living memory?

dongonzalos

...and you are avoiding the question. How could anyone justify holding onto a player the manager hardly ever considered worthy of playing in what many though was our worst side in living memory?

I am saying if we are skint and they get money for a player. As long as the manager is allowed to then use some of that money to get a couple of adequate replacements then I understand why it happens.

We lost Bigi and have picked up 5/6 midfielders.

I would prefer not to lose young talent but can see how it happens.

Are you saying if we get a bid for a player now for a million quid say baker for example who plays every week. If MR says no then SISU will reject the bid?

Grendel

I am saying if we are skint and they get money for a player. As long as the manager is allowed to then use some of that money to get a couple of adequate replacements then I understand why it happens.

We lost Bigi and have picked up 5/6 midfielders.

I would prefer not to lose young talent but can see how it happens.

Are you saying if we get a bid for a player now for a million quid say baker for example who plays every week. If MR says no then SISU will reject the bid?

Er...no I am just pointing out that Thorn did not think he was up to much anyway - but fair enough you don't want to discuss that.

If someone came in for Baker for £1 million I would snatch their hands off by the way.

georgehudson

quite frankly, if a bid comes in for a player, he will be sold,
regardless of his real worth,
sisu, in their various guises, have never demonstrated much in the way of football nouse,
& i don't have to trot out the names of their hierarchy,
it seems to me now no better than it was 4+ yrs ago,
btw, who's on the board now

sky blue john

I would just like to say bye bye Mcg and good luck. Thanks for helping to turn round our season.
Come on guys get real forest will want a fee we can't even pay the rent !!!!

Grendel

quite frankly, if a bid comes in for a player, he will be sold,
regardless of his real worth,
sisu, in their various guises, have never demonstrated much in the way of football nouse,
& i don't have to trot out the names of their hierarchy,
it seems to me now no better than it was 4+ yrs ago,
btw, who's on the board now

Ferguson, Wallace, Gibson, Hateley, Gillespie, Gallagher, Keane, Dublin, Huckerby, Davenport....

it seems not worse than it was 40 years ago

sky blue john

Er...no I am just pointing out that Thorn did not think he was up to much anyway - but fair enough you don't want to discuss that.

If someone came in for Baker for £1 million I would snatch their hands off by the way.

Gremlin change the record this thread is about Mcg !!!!

DazzleTommyDazzle

As I recall we used to buy as well as sell.

We bought Wallace, Gibson, Gillespie, Gallagher, Keane, Dublin and Huckerby.

Spot the difference?

Grendel

As I recall we used to buy as well as sell.

We bought Wallace, Gibson, Gillespie, Gallagher, Keane, Dublin and Huckerby.

Spot the difference?

What are you saying? We haven't signed any players for 4 years? Eastwood, Westwood, baker, bell, keogh, platt, McDonald, Norwood, carnie, Hussey etc are all products of our youth policy?

Grendel

There are many more as well. Bell, baker and Eastwood have cost this club £9 million in wages and transfer fees alone.

We never had to pay a million a year in rent in the good d days either.

valiant15

Your embarassing yourself with that list duffy.Bell,mcdonald,hussey,platt? Only westwood&keogh on that list are half decent. We're left with the shite,any player worth any money has been sold or has ran his contract down and left on a free because of sisu's lack of ambition. Infact,your ardent backing of the worst owners of this club ever over the last few weeks has just been plain embarassing on yourself.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

Your embarassing yourself with that list duffy,bell,mcdonald,hussey,platt? Only westwood&keogh on that list are half decent. We're left with the shite,any player worth any money has been sold or has ran his contract down and left on a free because of sisu's lack of ambition. Infact,your ardent backing of the worst owners of this club ever over the last few weeks has just been plain embarassing on yourself.

We've had SISU for years, so they would be our worst... And best owners in those weeks ;)

DazzleTommyDazzle

What are you saying? We haven't signed any players for 4 years? Eastwood, Westwood, baker, bell, keogh, platt, McDonald, Norwood, carnie, Hussey etc are all products of our youth policy?

I'll try to be a little more specific for you then.

When SISU came in they had a plan. It involved buying young players who could improve the club and who would probably then be sold on at (hopefully) a profit.

It appears that you didn't notice when this plan changed. It was about the time that Hoffman resigned and we got the first of our embargoes. Since that time, the outflow of players has massively exceeded the handful of signings.

If you think that over that period things have been the same as for the previous 40 years, then I guess we'll just have to disagree.

Sky Blue Pete

I'll try to be a little more specific for you then.

When SISU came in they had a plan. It involved buying young players who could improve the club and who would probably then be sold on at (hopefully) a profit.

It appears that you didn't notice when this plan changed. It was about the time that Hoffman resigned and we got the first of our embargoes. Since that time, the outflow of players has massively exceeded the handful of signings.

If you think that over that period things have been the same as for the previous 40 years, then I guess we'll just have to disagree.

Am I missing something from the start of this season?

Last edited:

DazzleTommyDazzle

Am missing something from the start of this season?

The context of the debate was around the balance between buying and selling players and whether our current position was the same as it had been for the last 40 years.

I'd agree that we signed a good number of players at the start of this season, but with the exception of Barton (believe it was referred to as a nominal fee) they were all free transfers. Hence my belief that the last couple of years have seen a significant change.

mattylad

Got to ask what the feck any of this shite has to do with my original post...just seems if you have the right user name you can hijack any thread without fear but if you have the wrong one woe betide starting a new thread on a slightly different angle to a topic already raised......the way its going this board will need a feckin kindergarton area.

Sky Blue Pete

Got to ask what the feck any of this shite has to do with my original post...just seems if you have the right user name you can hijack any thread without fear but if you have the wrong one woe betide starting a new thread on a slightly different angle to a topic already raised......the way its going this board will need a feckin kindergarton area.
I hope robins is being cute but he normally speaks sense so in my mind he is thinking who can I replace him with???

covcity4life

nick has his favourites

torchomatic

Personally, a board that sold the only ground we have ever owned in 130 years would be worse.

Infact,your ardent backing of the worst owners of this club ever over the last few weeks has just been plain embarassing on yourself.

torchomatic

Yet perversely we are playing the best football for years.

Coventry City has always sold it's best players and unless it ever becomes a power in the Premiership it always will. SISU really are no different to previous regimes in that respect. We just have a lot less money to spend nowadays.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yet perversely we are playing the best football for years.

Coventry City has always sold it's best players and unless it ever becomes a power in the Premiership it always will. SISU really are no different to previous regimes in that respect. We just have a lot less money to spend nowadays.

The fact we're also playing the worst teams we've faced since the '60s does probably help a bit Torch-irrespective it is nice to see the City dishing out a few hidings rather than losing 1-0 every week.

torchomatic

I absolutely agree 100%, BSB. However, in ten years in the Championship I don't really remember a spell as good as this. Also, the players we have now fit the "level" we are playing at.

The fact we're also playing the worst teams we've faced since the '60s does probably help a bit Torch-irrespective it is nice to see the City dishing out a few hidings rather than losing 1-0 every week.

torchomatic

hill83

I would also say its the best football since

These days, read the comments underneath. Then unfortunately the summer happened........

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...-s-tactics-for-burnley-game-92746-28345143/2/

When we won 3 games out of 10 in the league? 'Brilliant'

And we didn't even win that game, I appreciate it was an improvment on what had been offered in the weeks leading up to Boothroyds sacking, but come on.

Actually I've re-read what you said and you are right! Shows how bad things have been if the last few games that season goes down as a good spell!

Last edited:

valiant15

You really need to move on from the richardson era torch,its ancient history that cant be changed. I'm interested in what happens now,once this rancid hedge fund have gone im sure i won't be going on about them in 2022.

dongonzalos

When we won 3 games out of 10 in the league? 'Brilliant'

And we didn't even win that game, I appreciate it was an improvment on what had been offered in the weeks leading up to Boothroyds sacking, but come on.

Maybe it was an over reaction to how bad it had became under Boothroyd. However I remember sitting in the stands watching us pinging it around playing with such confidence and thought thank god.

Like I say read the comments underneath I don't think I was the only one.

hill83

Maybe it was an over reaction to how bad it had became under Boothroyd. However I remember sitting in the stands watching us pinging it around playing with such confidence and thought thank god.

Like I say read the comments underneath I don't think I was the only one.

Same, it was good to see Marlon King scoring and I was genuinely looking forward to the next season after that :facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread