Robins plays down McG chances (1 Viewer)

mattylad

has said lots of top sides showing an interest and to just enjoy him while he is here, did not mention what we would do about replacing him if he left just keeps saying let's see what the next few weeks bring

Grendel

He will I am sure have identified January targets.

It will be a minor miracle if he stays.

hill83

If he stays then it's a massive bonus, but we should be looking to get a replacement in really.

Diehard Si

It's a shame Cody is obviously way off the pace. I'd of liked to see him getting some game time in prep for McG leaving.

torchomatic

I suppose with the form McG is in then Cody isn't getting a look in. I think he could do OK for us in this league. As for McG himself, it's a double-edged sword, isn't it? if he hadn't have done any good then we would probably have moaned when we tried to sign him. He does well and obviously, richer clubs want him. I would love for him to stay, but it's up to him really. He's doing well, the fans like him, the team is playing great, we can't do any more than that really.

Danceswithhorses

Shame we didnt put a clause in his loan contract regarding extending it if he did well, or heaven forbid, a transfer price :facepalm:

Mucca Mad Boys

Shame we didnt put a clause in his loan contract regarding extending it if he did well, or heaven forbid, a transfer price :facepalm:

We can't really extend it... He's in his last year.

We could've put a transfer price, but I suppose Forest would want to see how well he did before deciding what price they'd sell him, plus, if other clubs matched the bid, we'd still have to compete with the salary aspect...

torchomatic

I know what you mean, but if it hadn't worked out we would all have moaned that it was a waste of time and money, as with Brown and Ball.

ashbyjan

If a: the club are serious and miraculously find some money behind the Mike McGinnity gin cupboard and b: McG really does want to stay then we agree a signing on fee with him and a salary for next season(s) and he tells Forest that he will simply sit out the rest of his contract refusing to go elsewhere so they may as well just let him carry on playing here - we pay Forest a token gesture for the remainder of season

Reality a: no money, no ambition, no chance b: wants money, has ambition, no chance

Will be overjoyed if I am wrong but can't see it happening

kg82

Robins doesn't really talk up the chances of extending anyone's contract! As it should be really.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think it is 50/50, OR 40/60 he'll sign, we've gone through why he'd stay and why he wouldn't but to me, when he said "a good Christmas can define a season" was a hint that if we have a good Christmas, he'll stay, if win our next 3, we could be top 6 and on the up with Shrewsbury and Tranmere to play, so we could be in a position to move up the table. If I were McG, my biggest fear about coming to Coventry, bar the money, is staying in L1, so if we look like we're in a position to get promoted, or mount a promotion push, he may favour a move to us.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

At the end of the day nobody can really begrudge him moving back to the Championship on more money-his form here has earnt him the right to do that. The best pitch we could make would be that it'd be better for him to enjoy a (successful?) promotion push here, than to be playing in a bottom half Championship team that will be keeping its head above water.

Grendel

If a: the club are serious and miraculously find some money behind the Mike McGinnity gin cupboard and b: McG really does want to stay then we agree a signing on fee with him and a salary for next season(s) and he tells Forest that he will simply sit out the rest of his contract refusing to go elsewhere so they may as well just let him carry on playing here - we pay Forest a token gesture for the remainder of season

Reality a: no money, no ambition, no chance b: wants money, has ambition, no chance

Will be overjoyed if I am wrong but can't see it happening

Sorry but can't buy that.

Players will choose what is best for them and he will attract offers from other clubs who have far more spending ability than us.

This notion that players will even think emotionally defies logic. He will go to who pays the most.

Everyone said bigiamara loved Coventry and the club is more important than money. It wasn't and it isn't.

Mucca Mad Boys

Players will choose what is best for them and he will attract offers from other clubs who have far more spending ability than us.

This notion that players will even think emotionally defies logic. He will go to who pays the most.

Everyone said bigiamara loved Coventry and the club is more important than money. It wasn't and it isn't.

I don't think you can apply it to Bigi, he was wanted by a big team in the prem, and has made a few 1st team appearances, and scored a quality goal 2 (something like that) games ago, so I won't buy he left purely for money, he had an amazing career opportunity - he took it with both hands!

Mucca Mad Boys

At the end of the day nobody can really begrudge him moving back to the Championship on more money-his form here has earnt him the right to do that. The best pitch we could make would be that it'd be better for him to enjoy a (successful?) promotion push here, than to be playing in a bottom half Championship team that will be keeping its head above water.

I'd love it if he went to a team that gets relegated. If he doesn't go to CCFC, the best scenario is, he goes Notts County, we get promoted at their place and we sing the famous "it could've been you" song.

Brighton Sky Blue

Which is why the best we could do is say he will get a lot more money if he stays and we go up this season-which is of course not the same as being offered more money immediately.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'd love it if he went to a team that gets relegated. If he doesn't go to CCFC, the best scenario is, he goes Notts County, we get promoted at their place and we sing the famous "it could've been you" song.

Unless of course teams in the top half are after him as well-if teams in the play-off/promotion shake up want him too then it's good night Vienna.

Mucca Mad Boys

Unless of course teams in the top half are after him as well-if teams in the play-off/promotion shake up want him too then it's good night Vienna.

Exactly, but I can't see many teams better than Forest wanting to take him - he'd be 3rd/4th choice.

woody11462

I think it is 50/50, 40/60 he'll sign, we've gone through why he'd stay and why he wouldn't but to me, when he said "a good Christmas can define a season" was a hint that if we have a good Christmas, he'll stay, if win our next 3, we could be top 6 and on the up with Shrewsbury and Tranmere to play, so we could be in a position to move up the table. If I were McG, my biggest fear about coming to Coventry, bar the money, is staying in L1, so if we look like we're in a position to get promoted, or mount a promotion push, he may favour a move to us.

Didn't Fisher mention that we would look to include a non promotion clause and minimum release clause big we signed him. If he knows that he has a route out if we flop, that may be something gor him to consider.

Mucca Mad Boys

Didn't Fisher mention that we would look to include a non promotion clause and minimum release clause big we signed him. If he knows that he has a route out if we flop, that may be something gor him to consider.

I know about that, but I'd imagine, he'd want to get promoted this year - if he stays - so he doesn't waste another year of his career, he's got to make up for time he has been rotting in Forest's reserves. Also, I imagine he wants to go to a team 'on the up'.

Ashdown1

As long as all this rent bollox is sorted out I honestly think that a move away from City is not in the best interests of David for the moment. He is on an absolute roll, enjoying his football, hero worshipped by the SBA, plays every week if fit, has superb facilities to work with and a good manager. He is young enough to enjoy another 4 months at the top of his game before having to make any decisions about changing his career path. Lets face it he could feasibly have two trips to Wembley in 2013 and from that he should/could make some healthy bonus's................against that he could be upped a level to the heady heights of Ipswich/Wolves/Derby etc and not be guaranteed a place in the team.

torchomatic

The things players don't think about is the "magic" something or other that is making them red hot at a certain time and a certain club. We've seen countless times where someone has been great, only to flop somewhere else. And, of course, great players are great wherever they play. However, McG needs to think farther than the next pay check.

He's playing well, he's scoring goals, the "chemistry" or whatever is perfect at this moment in time. He should try and tap into that and get the 30 he obviously feels he can get.

Brighton Sky Blue

Exactly, but I can't see many teams better than Forest wanting to take him - he'd be 3rd/4th choice.

Possibly, but January is also the time PL teams will be looking to recruit-if they dip into the Championship for a few strikers then the higher clubs there will also be looking for replacements. It's a gamble on McG's part to join us with promotion still a good way off if he has offers of instant Championship football-as SBT has said the best we can do is load the contract with clauses that give him a get out if we don't go up.

hill83

If a championship club comes in offering money, he's gone. Let's not kid ourselves. I said this before, but if we came in with an offer for him last season when he was at Sheffield Wednesday, we would expect to sign him ahead of him staying at the then league one club.
Now is no different. (except that he is enjoying a good spell with us)

Mucca Mad Boys

Possibly, but January is also the time PL teams will be looking to recruit-if they dip into the Championship for a few strikers then the higher clubs there will also be looking for replacements. It's a gamble on McG's part to join us with promotion still a good way off if he has offers of instant Championship football-as SBT has said the best we can do is load the contract with clauses that give him a get out if we don't go up.

I agree, but I don't think any prem team will come in for him.

ashbyjan

Thats why Grendel I said "reality - he wants more money, has ambition and there is no chance of him staying"

ashbyjan

Or perhaps we could simply agree to take over his contract from Forest, not pay him for a year and when he complains simply tell him we hadn't actually understood the original contract and as a penniless first division club cannot afford it. Then when he offers to play for a third of his original salary we tell him to carry on playing for nothing or we will loan him out to Kettering or Hinckley............

Last edited:

CarpyCov84

I just can't see why we haven't tied up a deal if Sisu were going to by now surely show your intent and pay what it costs strikers like him are few and far between we're still talking about what If Marlon King had stayed etc and I think DM is better than King.Break the bank and do what ever it takes if he goes I feel the team will lose confidence for sure you can see how close this group really are.I hope he don't let money rule his head give him a 3 year contract and any attachments needed to secure him.All strikers love to score goals so we defo have a chance. It's down to how much Sisu want him.

PUSB

covcity4life

robins refuses to be drawn out on bailey and adams either but they could be extended

i still think Mcg will stay personally.

Mucca Mad Boys

I just can't see why we haven't tied up a deal if Sisu were going to by now surely show your intent and pay what it costs strikers like him are few and far between we're still talking about what If Marlon King had stayed etc and I think DM is better than King.Break the bank and do what ever it takes if he goes I feel the team will lose confidence for sure you can see how close this group really are.I hope he don't let money rule his head give him a 3 year contract and any attachments needed to secure him.All strikers love to score goals so we defo have a chance. It's down to how much Sisu want him.

PUSB

It's more down to McG, we've said we're going to offer a deal and try agree a fee with Forest.

Users who are viewing this thread