Right wing jokes (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

I know this, but little Britain people are denouncing as racist and unfunny... Parts of little Britain definitely fall into the right wing stereotype... However I found it funny 🤷

Jim Jeffries does a good bit about historic comedy. Basically the job is to go right to the line that’s acceptable. As society progresses and we move that line historical jokes look over the line. But you can’t judge jokes out of context.

But being racist isn’t right wing. It’s being racist.

Nick

Administrator
That’s clearly a contradiction in terms. Some of the jokes are clearly funny. The first one especially as it’s multilayered given all the jokes about Diane Abbott’s maths abilities. There wasn’t a queue of lefties saying it’s not funny when compared to the massive queue of righties falling over themselves to say the same joke(s) isn’t/aren’t funny when all that’s changed is the person the joke is based around.

It's boring, leftie rightie bullshit.

Imagine going into a pub and trying to crack a joke about politics in either direction.

Evo1883

Jim Jeffries does a good bit about historic comedy. Basically the job is to go right to the line that’s acceptable. As society progresses and we move that line historical jokes look over the line. But you can’t judge jokes out of context.

But being racist isn’t right wing. It’s being racist.

Ok then, I found the so called racist jokes in little Britain funny 🤷

skybluetony176

Sweeping generalisation tbh
I dont think most comedians tell people whether they are right or left..except the occasional one or 2 who plant their mast..
I've seen Lee Evans live, found him funny
Roy chubby brown.. Found him funny
Then what’s all the fuss about then regarding the BBC and it’s output. Problem is that most comedy shows are topical and despite the claims that the right are the silent majority the opposite is true, they’re in power, they control the largest section of media and are far from the silent majority. If you have a topical comedy show it’s impossible to not take the piss out of the right because they’re the people in all the positions of power. The fuss only proves the stereotypes of the right not having a sense of humour.

Evo1883

Then what’s all the fuss about then regarding the BBC and it’s output. Problem is that most comedy shows are topical and despite the claims that the right are the silent majority the opposite is true, they’re in power, they control the largest section of media and are far from the silent majority. If you have a topical comedy show it’s impossible to not take the piss out of the right because they’re the people in all the positions of power. The fuss only proves the stereotypes of the right not having a sense of humour.

I never personally had an issue with BBCs comedy, some comedians are funny some not so much, I have no idea why it's even been made a thing by the new Bloke in charge. I never once sat there and thought, my god bbc are showing too many left wing comedians 🤷

skybluetony176

It's boring, leftie rightie bullshit.

Imagine going into a pub and trying to crack a joke about politics in either direction.
It’s always been the case. Racist jokes are political to the core and have been very common in pubs and clubs, your old fashion clubs especially. Maggie got heaps of jokes thrown at her from all angles. The British have lost their sense of humour and the shift to the right has played a huge role in that.

Evo1883

It’s always been the case. Racist jokes are political to the core and have been very common in pubs and clubs, your old fashion clubs especially. Maggie got heaps of jokes thrown at her from all angles. The British have lost their sense of humour and the shift to the right has played a huge role in that.

Hmmm, you could argue political correctness has too, Ricky Gervais especially talks about this on social media... It's only a fucking joke as he would say

Nick

Administrator

I'll ask Bernard Manning when he does his next set.

I don't really think this awful attempt at bringing humour back is going to do much.

skybluetony176

I never personally had an issue with BBCs comedy, some comedians are funny some not so much, I have no idea why it's even been made a thing by the new Bloke in charge. I never once sat there and thought, my god bbc are showing too many left wing comedians 🤷
Plenty do though. The movement on Twitter is just a reaction to that reaction and the reaction to that has done nothing to break down the stereotype of righties not having a sense of humour. The jokes on them and the majority have done the proverbial fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Evo1883

Plenty do though. The movement on Twitter is just a reaction to that reaction and the reaction to that has done nothing to break down the stereotype of righties not having a sense of humour. The jokes on them and the majority have done the proverbial fell for it hook, line and sinker.

To be fair, Ive made my feelings known about twitter before... The place is just a shit tip
Polls on twitter had Labour winning the election with about 80% of the vote, its an out of touch mess

skybluetony176

Hmmm, you could argue political correctness has too, Ricky Gervais especially talks about this on social media... It's only a fucking joke as he would say
Not just Ricky Gervais put the character of Johnathan Pie too. The later does a great show where he shares his views in character on words like woke, mansplaining etc etc. You’ll find it on you tube, it’s hilarious. As is his show about Donald Trumps tweets.

Evo1883

Not just Ricky Gervais put the character of Johnathan Pie too. The later does a great show where he shares his views in character on words like woke, mansplaining etc etc. You’ll find it on you tube, it’s hilarious. As is his show about Donald Trumps tweets.

I like johnathan pie I wish everybody on the left was as rational as he is, mind you I'd class him as centre left... Funnily enough he dislikes James o brian very much as their twitter exchanges often show.. James I regard as completely out of touch

Macca

Right wing comedy, left wing comedy whatever if it’s political then it isn’t funny to me. Reason being is that you can tell that the comedian is more intent on making a political point than making you laugh and it’s utterly tiresome

clint van damme

did you hear the one about the member of the government who couldn't find it within herself to express sympathy for a mother who starved to death with her baby in her arms

NorthernWisdom

Historically, comedy's always been the preserve of the outsider. Richard Blackmore, physician to the King, wasn't funny. Alexander Pope was.

(By the standards of the time!)

Establishment comedy is an oxymoron.

tisza

To be fair, Ive made my feelings known about twitter before... The place is just a shit tip
Polls on twitter had Labour winning the election with about 80% of the vote, its an out of touch mess
Twitter's demographic as something around 70-75% under 30s so going to tilt the conversation in a certain direction.

shmmeee

Twitter's demographic as something around 70-75% under 30s so going to tilt the conversation in a certain direction.

Not any more. Twitter is 65% 35-65 these days. Insta trends younger, Facebook older, Tik Tok youngest.

shmmeee

Twitter still majority uder 35View attachment 16783

Hmmm. I’m seeing different stats in different places:

This suggests the median age is 40;

Which would tally with my anecdotal experience.

This is where I got the 65% stat but it’s from 2018 looking at the source.

I see Statistica doesn’t give sources unless you sign up but it looks like a survey.

Generally speaking I’m seeing Gen Z less active on Twitter than other demographics.

Marty

This is hilarious

Or sad and pathetic if you’re a member of the humour police

I'm not sure I would call that hilarious if I'm being honest.

I don't watch the BBC 'comedy' shows not because they're left or right wing but because they're absolutely dreadful. The standard of comic they attract now is dreadful. They've spent years promoting the barely average Michael McIntyre & Sarah Millican. David Mitchell was funny but hearing him going on yet another rant for about the 8th series running is tiresome. It's all too sanitized in general.

shmmeee

I'm not sure I would call that hilarious if I'm being honest.

I don't watch the BBC 'comedy' shows not because they're left or right wing but because they're absolutely dreadful. The standard of comic they attract now is dreadful. They've spent years promoting the barely average Michael McIntyre & Sarah Millican. David Mitchell was funny but hearing him going on yet another rant for about the 8th series running is tiresome. It's all too sanitized in general.

BBC comedy has been awful for years, TBH outside of Netflix stand up specials there’s been very little decent comedy anywhere. The Yanks seem to have overtaken us in TV comedy but even there I can’t think of any recent ones that stand out.

clint van damme

BBC comedy has been awful for years, TBH outside of Netflix stand up specials there’s been very little decent comedy anywhere. The Yanks seem to have overtaken us in TV comedy but even there I can’t think of any recent ones that stand out.

When was the last really good sitcom on a terrestrial channel?

D

Deleted member 4439

For true sitcoms that would be hard, as they also seem to date very easily e.g. Faulty Towers. But is terms of comedic shows, I did find most series of the mighty boosh entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread