Recommend a beer (1 Viewer)

Great_Expectations

On my search for new/different beers, available locally while in lockdown I went to Asda today. I read they had a good selection (in the context of a supermarket).

I was impressed; pretty good craft range, nothing especially unique, and all bigger breweries as you’d expect, but there was a lot to choose from. Plus the traditional real/cask ales.

The deal was 4 for £6 - yes please 8.

Albeit currently on a Hemisphere by Four Pure Brewing, a Session IPA that is pretty underwhelming. It’s ok, but too bitter an aftertaste with no overwhelming other flavours.

Great_Expectations

Father in Law is strictly a cider man, so doesn’t know much about beer. He knows I like ale and “different” beers so bought some Brewdog Clockwork Tangerine. Bit disappointed to be honest, not much tangerine taste, just quite dry and bland.

Kneeza

Father in Law is strictly a cider man, so doesn’t know much about beer. He knows I like ale and “different” beers so bought some Brewdog Clockwork Tangerine. Bit disappointed to be honest, not much tangerine taste, just quite dry and bland.
Good man. If he likes a really good medium, tell him to try Harry's 'Scrummage'. And if he fancies a perry, he won't go far wrong with Whin Hill's.
Both bootiful, but both need to be the still version (although the perry is acceptable with fizz).

Great_Expectations

Bit naughty drinking on a random Tuesday, but it’s been a long day.

Another new beer for me, and one from my Asda trip, Boston Tea Party by Bad Co Brewing, a New England IPA. Strong one at 5.8, but doesn’t taste it. As you’d expect from NEIPA, it’s hoppy, quite dry aftertaste but a nice citrus flavour and no bitterness. Easy drinking.

Edit; and can others starting posting on this thread again, I’m starting to feel like an alcoholic!

fernandopartridge

Another new beer for me, and one from my Asda trip, Boston Tea Party by Bad Co Brewing, a New England IPA. Strong one at 5.8, but doesn’t taste it. As you’d expect from NEIPA, it’s hoppy, quite dry aftertaste but a nice citrus flavour and no bitterness. Easy drinking.

Edit; and can others starting posting on this thread again, I’m starting to feel like an alcoholic!
I'm trying to not drink during the week but find it quite difficult with permanent WFH. It almost feels like you need to try and differentiate. I'm miles from an Asda but found the Badco beers decent. I'll give that a bash.

Kneeza

No, sorry. I don't associate with alcoholics ;)
That sounds like my kinda brew tbh, but I'm off the pop at the mo. I do dry four or five week spells about three times a year just to help out my poor old liver. I'm about a week in just now, and really fancy a brew :( but the best I'm doing is strong AF coffee..

Great_Expectations

I'm trying to not drink during the week but find it quite difficult with permanent WFH. It almost feels like you need to try and differentiate. I'm miles from an Asda but found the Badco beers decent. I'll give that a bash.

Absolutely the same as me - I never used to drink at home (especially in the week), was only really a pub drinker but the last couple of weeks I’ve got into a habit of having one. Similar to you, it signifies time to chill - work is done and kids are asleep.

Morrison’s is supposed to be good too and there’s one by the Garage my car is being serviced in today, so going to try and time it so I can have a look.

Great_Expectations

No, sorry. I don't associate with alcoholics ;)
That sounds like my kinda brew tbh, but I'm off the pop at the mo. I do dry four or five week spells about three times a year just to help out my poor old liver. I'm about a week in just now, and really fancy a brew :( but the best I'm doing is strong AF coffee..

Impressive! And only makes me feel more guilty (but not enough to stop!).

clint van damme

Any Sainsbury's recommendations to accompany tonight's game? About to pop up there shortly so think I'll treat myself.
Start new job next week so this will be the last school night drinking for a while.

clint van damme

treated myself to a couple of chocolate stouts, Sam Smith and Attic Brewery and a pale ale from Left Handed Giant which came in a very eye catching can.

clint van damme

The Sam Smiths one is beautiful

drinking it now. Very nice but I couldn't drink too may. The missus tried it and thought is was lovely and shes not into beer at all.

Edit - Just gave my son a taste who's not a massive drinker, said it was the nicest beer he's tasted.

Last edited:

Great_Expectations

drinking it now. Very nice but I couldn't drink too may. The missus tried it and thought is was lovely and shes not into beer at all.

Edit - Just gave my son a taste who's not a massive drinker, said it was the nicest beer he's tasted.

There’s a reason both FP and I have mentioned it a few times, it’s very good! I agree though - it wouldn’t be one you could drink all day, although all flavoured stouts are the same.

The Great Eastern

Saltaire Triple Choc Stout? Sounds very nice, and it’s a new brewery for me too. I thought I’d tried one of theirs before but I don’t recognise the logo.
I was working behind the bar at the Norwich beer festival a few years ago and there was a barrel of Saltaire Triple Chocaholic on the racking near me. Tried a half and absolutely loved it. Recommended it to punters asking for a decent stout then quickly realised thet were coming back for 2nd and 3rd pints. Hey presto....it sold out rapidly before I could have a decent few glasses myself ! A second barrel appeared later in the week and, quite naturally, kept absolutely schtum about it.
Utterly beautiful, tasty, smooth stout. Bought a few dozen bottles online but not quite as good as the stuff straight from the barrel. Pity

Great_Expectations

Tried out Morrison’s for their beer selection; was slightly disappointed with the number of options in the craft section, but impressed with what some of those options were. Northern Monk, who I’d class as one of the premium breweries, was there and included in the 4 for £6 deal!

Currently drinking a Rapscallion by Northern Monk, an Orange zest IPA. Pretty good, a lot better than the Brewdog Tangerine IPA.

Kneeza

I'm really not into stouts at all, but all this chat about these chocolate ones is making me fancy a go.
Stoppit.
(I'm on a liver-revival period at the mo so remind me in about three weeks ;) ).

fernandopartridge

Ended up working late so had no time to go out for anything decent. Bought a couple of bottles of Khukuri Nepalese Lager in Bargain Booze. It was rubbish.

Ian1779

Should be getting the latest Beer 52 in the next couple of days, usually some good ones in there... as long as they lay off the gooseberry and passion fruit infused beers!

clint van damme

Might have to look that one out.
I always used to enjoy a Belgian Kriek back in the day, but haven't given it a thought for ages.

I think I've had it. And enjoyed it if I remember rightly.
Now on another pale ale from LHG - Galaxy and citra, not bad.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a look at the kegs on beer hawk I’m gonna try the lowenbrau , jaiper and bud

Users who are viewing this thread