Realistic signings (3 Viewers)

Skybluedownunder

That was the third name given to me, third hand, last week alongside Walker and Sheaf, Didn’t put it on as I didn’t believe it, still unrealistic to me to go onto a Realistic signing thread.

Thankyou for disclosing. It is starting to make sense, maybe that’s what the hold up with Sheaf is... perhaps it’s not Sheaf that’s the hold up, maybe it’s us cause we want Walsh instead?

My mate said Walsh was left out the squad of the last friendly so you never know.... especially when they just signed Joe Williams for £2m from Wigan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magwitch

I think the hold up or ups are just timing to be honest I expect deals to go through once August is out the way. Season starts September contracts will start September.

Liquid Gold

Agreed, Godden is a decent squad player but not first choice for a Championship side.
I don’t know. He’s an instictive goal scorer. Put it in the net every level he’s played at. He might not be involved as much against better players but I think you present him with chances he will still score goals. What I think we need is someone at least of his ability and for the two of them to push each other and challenge for the spot. Baka then becomes the chaos option if we’re losing.

Magwitch

I don’t get this downer on Godden, he’s a good chance taker usually hits the target and was well on the way to 20 goals until the season was curtailed and can play, hopefully MR has and will sign better players to the supply chances.

shmmeee

The defence and goalkeeper are our best assets. We got promoted based on them almost alone.

To say you want to sign a CB over a striker is absolutely mental. If we don't strengthen our strikeforce we are getting relegated.

Our strength last season was not conceding. If we want to switch to a score more than you strategy we’ll need to do more than buy a striker we’ll need to change our entire setup to be geared around that.

Given that I don’t think going in with the same defence minus McCallum is wise. McFadz is a year older and in a faster league and behind the first three we have untried young players.

Build from the back and play to your strengths. The idea we can afford someone significantly better than Godden just isn’t credible. Strikers at this level even on loan cost a bomb. We’ll be looking at a young gamble like Walker at best.

Reactions: vow

Deity

I don’t get this downer on Godden, he’s a good chance taker usually hits the target and was well on the way to 20 goals until the season was curtailed and can play, hopefully MR has and will sign better players to the supply chances.
Why do Coventry fans get fixated with the merits of one player. Godden could be immense or terrible but equally he could get injured and miss the season.... football is about the quality of the options you have not the starting eleven.

outside of Godden we don’t have proven goal scoring capability. That’s why we need 2 more strikers, not to replace Godden but you create options and competition.

Liquid Gold

We've just had a post on our forum saying you're signing Walsh for £1M. i won't be happy with that TBH.
A post by a credible person?

I know Walsh is desperate for game time and he really didn't like Johnson, if during pre-season it's becoming evident to him he won't be featuring as much as he wants to then it wouldn't surprise me if he's been into the managers office and asked to move on.

Then it's up to the manager, convince him he's playing, lose him for nothing in the summer or take the £1m now and use it towards a striker which I think you're crying out for.

Sky Blue Harry H

The defence and goalkeeper are our best assets. We got promoted based on them almost alone.

To say you want to sign a CB over a striker is absolutely mental. If we don't strengthen our strikeforce we are getting relegated.

I agree with you mate - although getting £15m-£30m for Ben Wilson is unrealistic at the moment (unless he keeps a clean sheet against Burton on Tuesday)

Sky Blue Harry H

Agreed, Godden is a decent squad player but not first choice for a Championship side.

Godden is a top finisher. People have mentioned his lack of pace, but... Alan Shearer, Gerd Muller etc. A lot of it is about movement,

Reactions: vow

EAst ender

A post by a credible person?

I know Walsh is desperate for game time and he really didn't like Johnson, if during pre-season it's becoming evident to him he won't be featuring as much as he wants to then it wouldn't surprise me if he's been into the managers office and asked to move on.

Then it's up to the manager, convince him he's playing, lose him for nothing in the summer or take the £1m now and use it towards a striker which I think you're crying out for.
We have Nahki Wells, Andi Weimann and Famara Diedhou but Fam could well move on and would definitely need replacing.
Williams is a decent signing for us as we have been too soft in midfield as we have lots of tidy footballers, Walsh being one, but nobody to really play a more defensive midfield role, more so since we released Korey Smith.
I can see this happening TBH.

shmmeee

Both. Never been given a real chance here and I'm sure you guys have a better idea of his real value, seems cheap for a L1 player of the year.

It seems like an absolute steal. But he is unproven above L1 and only has a year left, so maybe?

shmmeee

A midfield of Allen, O'Hare, Walsh and Hamer though....

giphy.gif

SeaSeeEffCee

Can’t help but feel that, unless the Williams signing has massively changed things, if Walsh was available for £1m we’d have snapped him up in an instant. Guess we’ve just got to hope he’s decided to push for a move.

Plus, I know this is blasphemous but considering we’ve already spent £1.5m on Hamer and probably don’t have that much to spend is there not an argument that we should probably be looking to spend the remaining cash on a decent striker?

EDIT: Ignore that last paragraph, just remembered we’re willing to spend 750k+ on Sheaf so the money must be a there. Walsh for £1m is a no brainier if we can pull it off.

Brighton Sky Blue

Can’t help but feel that, unless the Williams signing has massively changed things, if Walsh was available for £1m we’d have snapped him up in an instant. Guess we’ve just got to hope he’s decided to push for a move.

Plus, I know this is blasphemous but considering we’ve already spent £1.5m on Hamer and probably don’t have that much to spend is there not an argument that we should probably be looking to spend the remaining cash on a decent striker?

That is kind of what I was thinking, I don’t like us heading into the Championship with just Godden and Baka at all

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Possibly. Who though for that kind of money?

Of course fitting Hamer, Kelly and Walsh in will be a problem because although I reckon Walsh and Hamer are better players Kelly has a more physical presence and is the leader. But given his history of injuries and the likelihood of Hamer getting the odd suspension there could be a space for them all.

Not convinced of the likelihood of it happening though because I thought Walsh's wages were going to be a bit of a sticking point for us.

Skybluedownunder

So let’s say for arguements sake we do sign Walsh then this is how I could see us lining up...

Marosi
Rose Fadz Hyam
Dabo Giles
Hamer
Allen/Kelly Walsh
O’Hare
Godden

Which would then leave jones, shipley, da costa, pask, baka, wilson and then either Allen or Kelly as your 7 subs

Then back ups you’d have biamou, Drysdale, Williams, Eccles, mason, bapaga, hillsner, kastaneer, jobello, Thompson

So from what I see above, if we get Walsh I see absolutely no point of Sheaf unless Sheaf was to play CB which I’ve already read that he no longer sees himself playing there anymore.

Makes me also think why did we sign the fat German cause not even Jones or Jobello and both are very good players but don’t suit the formation so can’t get a look in at this rate unless we change formation.

If we get Walsh all we then need is a better CB to allow Drysdale or Williams to go out on loan along with Jordan Thompson, Eccles can then also go out on loan cause we will have plenty of centre mids. Sign a forward to compete with Godden then allow either Biamou or Baka to leave along with Kastaneer

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think our best bet for a striker if we haven’t got someone from abroad lined up is going to be a Prem loan TBH.

I reckon a punt on a loaned youngster is how we're likely going to go.

We've been linked with a couple of overseas strikers like that tall German fella so we may look there if a deal's affordable, but there's no way we can afford a Championship level striker already playing here. Even the better ones in the leagues below are unaffordable for our likely budget

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So let’s say for arguements sake we do sign Walsh then this is how I could see us lining up...

Marosi
Rose Fadz Hyam
Dabo Giles
Hamer
Allen/Kelly Walsh
O’Hare
Godden

Which would then leave jones, shipley, da costa, pask, baka, wilson and then either Allen or Kelly as your 7 subs

Then back ups you’d have biamou, Drysdale, Williams, Eccles, mason, bapaga, hillsner, kastaneer, jobello, Thompson

So from what I see above, if we get Walsh I see absolutely no point of Sheaf unless Sheaf was to play CB which I’ve already read that he no longer sees himself playing there anymore.

Makes me also think why did we sign the fat German cause not even Jones or Jobello and both are very good players but don’t suit the formation so can’t get a look in at this rate unless we change formation.

If we get Walsh all we then need is a better CB to allow Drysdale or Williams to go out on loan along with Jordan Thompson, Eccles can then also go out on loan cause we will have plenty of centre mids. Sign a forward to compete with Godden then allow either Biamou or Baka to leave along with Kastaneer

Don't think we'll play that formation. It'd be Hamer and Kelly next to each other with Allen and O'Hare together in front of them.

shmmeee

Marosi
Rose Fadz Hyam
Dabo Giles
Hamer
Allen/Kelly Walsh
O’Hare
Godden

668A2D16-34A0-4F11-B30B-15AB67E4C30A.jpeg
195E2DC5-9C5F-4B97-A69B-67894CBDE774.jpeg
E58165CD-8BF3-4314-BED7-6A167B642E4C.jpeg

3D8A0D45-F93D-43C3-B32F-2A548B31B89C.jpeg

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Our strength last season was not conceding. If we want to switch to a score more than you strategy we’ll need to do more than buy a striker we’ll need to change our entire setup to be geared around that.

Given that I don’t think going in with the same defence minus McCallum is wise. McFadz is a year older and in a faster league and behind the first three we have untried young players.

Build from the back and play to your strengths. The idea we can afford someone significantly better than Godden just isn’t credible. Strikers at this level even on loan cost a bomb. We’ll be looking at a young gamble like Walker at best.

I'm not suggesting to switch to a score more than you profile, I'm just saying we need to actually to score in the first place. Our team is a division higher and there is a distinct lack of goals in the team as it is.

I'm not opposed to bringing in a decent CB too, but what we have is more sufficient than our attack force. As I said, I am pretty happy with our squad overall, but unless we strengthen our attacking options we are going to be right down at the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread