"Realistic" free transfers or signings only (2 Viewers)

steve82

"Realistic" free transfers or signings only

--------------Strikers------------
Matty Taylor, age 24 Bristol Rovers 22 goals in 42 games.
Dan Holman, age 25, Cheltenham 25 goals in 38 games
Marcus Harber age 27 Crewe 7 goals in 35 games. Harber is more of a target man not a out and out goal scorer, but always get called up for Canada. Our last Canadian international didn't work out too great (Jackson)
James Collins age 25 Shrewsbury (on loan at Northampton 7 goals in 15 games ) 14 goals in 43
------------Midfielders------------
Romaine sawyers age 24 Walsall. Excellent against us.
Erhun Oztumer age 24 Peterborough. Small box of tricks, quality no 10 against us ran the show.
-------------Goalkeepers -------------
Matt Gilks age 33 burnley. (Former Blackpool keeper) 331 career apps mainly in the championship and a season in premier league
Dean Gerken age 30 Ipswich 268 career apps mainly in championship

****all are available on a free transfer*****

Last edited:

skybluegod

Sawyers we have no chance, he is wanted by championship clubs i believe.
Gilks, I used to rate but is he still up to standard now, sat on the bench for few years now.
Gerken, don't rate so no.
Matty taylor- that's a good record tbf, what type of striker is he?
Haber, I have liked him when i have seen him and IMO would be a better option than Fortune so agree.
James collins- not sure on, would prefer other targets.

steve82

Sawyers we have no chance, he is wanted by championship clubs i believe.
Gilks, I used to rate but is he still up to standard now, sat on the bench for few years now.
Gerken, don't rate so no.
Matty taylor- that's a good record tbf, what type of striker is he?
Haber, I have liked him when i have seen him and IMO would be a better option than Fortune so agree.
James collins- not sure on, would prefer other targets.

Matty Taylor is the one to go for but after more research he was reported to be wanted By championship clubs and Scott's prem teams too.
Only 5ft 9 so at a guess a Armstrong type off the shoulder in behind you... Former team mate of Chris Stokes too I think at forest green. Maybe a pull?
These are the type of players we need to build a platform from and around the correct age to.
Marcus Harber is quite a big physical player, not a great goal return but if he can bring others into play it can work. International call ups a issue tho and the traveling being Canadian.

skybluegod

Matty Taylor is the one to go for but after more research he was reported to be wanted By championship clubs and Scott's prem teams too.
Only 5ft 9 so at a guess a Armstrong type off the shoulder in behind you... Former team mate of Chris Stokes too I think at forest green. Maybe a pull?
These are the type of players we need to build a platform from and around the correct age to.
Marcus Harber is quite a big physical player, not a great goal return but if he can bring others into play it can work. International call ups a issue tho and the traveling being Canadian.

Thing is next year with TM, Haber wouldn't start so maybe wouldn't be too big a problem if we still only have one up top?
However you do raise a point i have thought about all season, we have no players at a good age. Except maybe fleck, martin and stokes. Everybody else is either a teenager, or the wrong side of 30, we have no players in their prime, or with enough experience that can last the course of a season playing 2 games a week.

steve82

Thing is next year with TM, Haber wouldn't start so maybe wouldn't be too big a problem if we still only have one up top?
However you do raise a point i have thought about all season, we have no players at a good age. Except maybe fleck, martin and stokes. Everybody else is either a teenager, or the wrong side of 30, we have no players in their prime, or with enough experience that can last the course of a season playing 2 games a week.

Great player but would cost us. Unless Colchester go down and Mowbray strikes a similar deal that brought Vincelot here after Orient's relegation.

Depending on the chosen system were gonna need different types of players, target man, off the shoulder and a back to goal striker to suit different teams and give us flexibility and options like Harber. Not prolific but capable of getting the odd goal and linking up the likes of Jones....
Base of the squad needs to be players with say 100 games under there belt, players that can take the club forward and aged 22-30
Hopefully TM is looking at poaching a few of the pick of the relegated sides like Colchesters moncur.
I think there is some gems to be found in the conference to, some goal scorers in there. Peterborough have enjoyed some success off the back of a few semi pro gens.

steve82

Dan Holman at Cheltenham maybe worth a look. Started the season at Colchester coming from non league, sent out on loan to a few conference sides and released. Scored a few goals along the way and signed for Cheltenham. Scored 25 in 38 games. Looks like he's clicked, and maybe worth a contract on a free. Good size too at 6ft.

higgs

We need two 20 goal a season strikers and a few midfielders getting amongst the goals

Otis

We need two 20 goal a season strikers and a few midfielders getting amongst the goals
Going to struggle to get 2 20 goal a season strikers and certainly if we are going to continue with just one up front, it might be a pointless exercise anyway. Which 20 goal a season striker is going to come here to sit on the bench?

Think we need a 20 goal striker and then another Murphy type, attacking midfielder, capable of getting 15.

You then need another midfielder getting you 10+ and a defender who can chip in too and then the wide players as well, who can also get you 15 goals between them.

If you get goals coming from all over the park then that puts the opposition on the back foot, not certain where the goal threats are coming from.

With us at the moment, it's stop Armstrong, stop the goals.

If TM stays I am sure it will still be just one up front.

steve82

Jamar loza of Norwich is available on a free. Scored 7 in 10 in the premiership u21's league. Can play the striker role and left wing as a second striker. Think he's pacy too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

malkitccfc

Jack Payne from Southends contracts up at the end of the season. Really rate him but think he might look for a championship move

JimmyHillsbeard

Jamar loza of Norwich is available on a free. Scored 7 in 10 in the premiership u21's league. Can play the striker role and left wing as a second striker. Think he's pacy too.

The same Loza who's flopped at several league one and two clubs on loan including us?

steve82

The same Loza who's flopped at several league one and two clubs on loan including us?
Yes, maybe too soon and not ready yet. Need to look for the next few seasons not just next year.
With our contacts with Norwich now if he's any good I'm sure TM, JC and MV will look at the dvds of him and cast there view

steve82

Jay Simpson if orient don't get promoted

Good shout, scored 23 in 42 games and still only 27. Would suit building for the future and can play any forward position, can clearly play at a higher level. Under contract for another year so a fee payable.
Need x2 commanding defenders also... Not a fan of signing old players but Richard woods available on a free. 30 now, didn't see him play at fleetwood. Could he do a job again?

skybluegod

Depending on the chosen system were gonna need different types of players, target man, off the shoulder and a back to goal striker to suit different teams and give us flexibility and options like Harber. Not prolific but capable of getting the odd goal and linking up the likes of Jones....
Base of the squad needs to be players with say 100 games under there belt, players that can take the club forward and aged 22-30
Hopefully TM is looking at poaching a few of the pick of the relegated sides like Colchesters moncur.
I think there is some gems to be found in the conference to, some goal scorers in there. Peterborough have enjoyed some success off the back of a few semi pro gens.

I agree, but mowbray has persisted with one system and one striker almost all season... so doubt losing Haber to international duty will put us off is that i mean... As i said i like him and hope we sign.

Exactly what I mean we need players in their prime, who have experience and won't burn out.
I think midfield two will be the Bulgarian and Vince, next year tbh, with Bigi signed on perm deal and rose as back up.
Agree think we need to look at non-league and league two and pick up some gems if we can. Depends how well the scouting network has been set up, if anything recruitment should be better this summer, as MV and TM have had a chance to set up a new system.

steve82

I agree, but mowbray has persisted with one system and one striker almost all season... so doubt losing Haber to international duty will put us off is that i mean... As i said i like him and hope we sign.

Exactly what I mean we need players in their prime, who have experience and won't burn out.
I think midfield two will be the Bulgarian and Vince, next year tbh, with Bigi signed on perm deal and rose as back up.
Agree think we need to look at non-league and league two and pick up some gems if we can. Depends how well the scouting network has been set up, if anything recruitment should be better this summer, as MV and TM have had a chance to set up a new system.

Crystal palace have taken Margate striker Freddie Ladapo after failing at Colchester and Kidderminster harriers. 23 years old and they are taking a punt on him and paid a fee.
I really think we should look at players in the non league pyramid plenty of goal scorers about.

Terry Gibson's perm

Elliot Osborne from Nantwich Town a mildfielder with 21 goals this season former Port Vale academy player, it would be good for me as well as he is my nephew so lots of free tickets for me:claping hands:

steve82

Elliot Osborne from Nantwich Town a mildfielder with 21 goals this season former Port Vale academy player, it would be good for me as well as he is my nephew so lots of free tickets for me:claping hands:

Sounds good! Is he energetic and like to put a foot in? If so he should be on a watch list with a goal return like that. Under 23 also be a bonus.
This is the sort of thing we should be checking out. Only thing is players at this level is sometimes they earn more in a full time job and being semi pro where they have a career and not worth the risk jumping to being pro when they've family's to provide for.

Terry Gibson's perm

Sounds good! Is he energetic and like to put a foot in? If so he should be on a watch list with a goal return like that. Under 23 also be a bonus.
This is the sort of thing we should be checking out. Only thing is players at this level is sometimes they earn more in a full time job and being semi pro where they have a career and not worth the risk jumping to being pro when they've family's to provide for.

He is former wide player who is now playing in the middle so I doubt he gets stuck in too much, quite a few penalties though, he will go full time next year somewhere as his contract is up this summer and he won't stop where he is, lives at home with his parents.

Users who are viewing this thread