Ratings thread (2 Viewers)

steve101

I cannot understand any negativity towards a young player having a 10 minute introduction to the first team. If Waghorn was on fire or Godden was on the bench then fair enough. However that was not the case. I haven't seen anyone suggesting he will be an instant success or he is the next Wayne Rooney. He has given Barnsley's defence something else to think about as his style is very different to Gyokeres and Waghorn. Surely that can only be a good thing.

Nick

Administrator
I cannot understand any negativity towards a young player having a 10 minute introduction to the first team. If Waghorn was on fire or Godden was on the bench then fair enough. However that was not the case. I haven't seen anyone suggesting he will be an instant success or he is the next Wayne Rooney. He has given Barnsley's defence something else to think about as his style is very different to Gyokeres and Waghorn. Surely that can only be a good thing.
Like I said, sbt has always disliked him.

FulltimeWum

No, but it’s a bit weird if I give the waiter a standing ovation when he brings it out, and then spend the rest of the weekend telling everyone how delicious cabbage can be.
We're above West Brom. How you can you strive to find things to be negative about?

harvey098

I think the problem comes from the hyperbole around him on the forums over the last few weeks. He has got better every game he hasn’t played.

I don’t think anyone would have an issue with a youngster being given a shot but I think the push back has been because the clamour for him has been so strong and over the top.

PVA

I think the problem comes from the hyperbole around him on the forums over the last few weeks. He has got better every game he hasn’t played.

I don’t think anyone would have an issue with a youngster being given a shot but I think the push back has been because the clamour for him has been so strong and over the top.

I agree the clamour has been over the top at times and a standing ovation was a little bit excessive.

But we have 2 fit strikers, one of which doesn't look like scoring, and a team that's been short of goals. It's inevitable that a lad who's scored 20 goals or however many it is in the reserves gets a bit of attention (not a dig at you, just a general statement)

SBT

Someone on the match thread said Tavares was “excellent” and that it’s better for us to be playing him than Walker. Sorry, it’s just completely bizarre.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Someone on the match thread said Tavares was “excellent” and that it’s better for us to be playing him than Walker. Sorry, it’s just completely bizarre.
So 1 person out of all of the forumites. Which in your eyes is enough to proclaim that everyone has lost their mind over him.

SBT

So 1 person out of all of the forumites. Which in your eyes is enough to proclaim that everyone has lost their mind over him.

Don’t think it’s limited to a few people. Who was the last player who got such a big ovation when they came on for their debut?

I didn’t even make a big fuss over the guy in my first post in this thread. But apparently there’s only one guy who people want to talk about. Apparently I hate the kid just for pointing out that he’s punching above his weight.

Hertsccfc

I agree the clamour has been over the top at times and a standing ovation was a little bit excessive.

But we have 2 fit strikers, one of which doesn't look like scoring, and a team that's been short of goals. It's inevitable that a lad who's scored 20 goals or however many it is in the reserves gets a bit of attention (not a dig at you, just a general statement)
If the standing ovation gave him confidence then why not give him an ovation? After all isn't that the potential value that fans bring to their team. Far better than groaning when they misplace a pace or when someone like Walker or Sheaf in his early days came on a subs. I can't understand the mentality of fans that' do that. There are players i don't rate but at a match I will support them to do the best the can.

Brighton Sky Blue

Don’t think it’s limited to a few people. Who was the last player who got such a big ovation when they came on for their debut?

I didn’t even make a big fuss over the guy in my first post in this thread. But apparently there’s only one guy who people want to talk about. Apparently I hate the kid just for pointing out that he’s punching above his weight.

I'll be honest I thought part of the 'ovation' was sarcastic

Hertsccfc

How do you know he's punching above his weight? You might be right but you say you have never seen him lay before yesterday.

SBT

How do you know he's punching above his weight? You might be right but you say you have never seen him lay before yesterday.

Because we have one of the league's smallest squads combined with key injuries to our forward players. Players like Tavares and Dinanga wouldn't normally get close to the bench of a Championship side, but here we are. There's no shame or controversy in admitting this. They should be enjoying it - most of our fans clearly are.

Evo1883

Most clubs eventually give their players that score lots of u23 goals a shot at first team football .. is it weird that supporters are somewhat excited about a lad who scores for fun in their u23 setup ? Not really , completely normal ..just something else to moan about on SBT

Evo1883

This place isn't too far away from overtaking the Facebook forum with its insanity these days

PVA

Financially it's better.

Walker is obviously a better player but wasn't getting a kick, it's better to have a kid on peanuts to use for 5 or 10 minutes than Walker costing however many thousand per week in order to divert the funds elsewhere to plug a gap (LWB).

It's far from ideal, but it's the situation we're in.

Brighton Sky Blue

Most clubs eventually give their players that score lots of u23 goals a shot at first team football .. is it weird that supporters are somewhat excited about a lad who scores for fun in their u23 setup ? Not really , completely normal ..just something else to moan about on SBT

I mean to quote MR, 'The U23s is too easy for him', it can't hurt to see what he does in the last 10-20 minutes

SBT

Financially it's better.

Walker is obviously a better player but wasn't getting a kick, it's better to have a kid on peanuts to use for 5 or 10 minutes than Walker costing however many thousand per week in order to divert the funds elsewhere to plug a gap (LWB).

It's far from ideal, but it's the situation we're in.

Interesting argument - how did Bidwell get on yesterday?

SBT

How did Dabo and Kane get on when they had to play LWB?

Not very well, but weirdly I don't think we lost a game where either of them played there?

Anyway - if you watched yesterday's game and thought 'Thank heavens we got rid of all our senior striker depth to bring in Bidwell', then good luck to you.

PVA

Not very well, but weirdly I don't think we lost a game where either of them played there?

Anyway - if you watched yesterday's game and thought 'Thank heavens we got rid of all our senior striker depth to bring in Bidwell', then good luck to you.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought, well done.

Fuck me you're hard work on this. Just constantly missing the point.

Hertsccfc

Because we have one of the league's smallest squads combined with key injuries to our forward players. Players like Tavares and Dinanga wouldn't normally get close to the bench of a Championship side, but here we are. There's no shame or controversy in admitting this. They should be enjoying it - most of our fans clearly are.
I don't follow your logic. How do you know how good they are or might become when you have never seen them?

SBT

I don't follow your logic. How do you know how good they are or might become when you have never seen them?

I mean, sure, it's an assumption, but a pretty safe one I'd say. Same reason I wouldn't give Hilssner a standing ovation if he came on next week. Is there a reason beyond blind, happy optimism that I should think different? (I'm not swayed by a good goalscoring record in the Professional U23 Development League, sorry)

Hertsccfc

I mean, sure, it's an assumption, but a pretty safe one I'd say. Same reason I wouldn't give Hilssner a standing ovation if he came on next week. Is there a reason beyond blind, happy optimism that I should think different? (I'm not swayed by a good goalscoring record in the Professional U23 Development League, sorry)
OK I don't get it but I will leave it there.

Grendel

I think the last hyped up person after a U23 stint and a couple of friendlies was Allasani

stevefloyd

Barnsley were much better organised than expected and seem to frustrate us without being a real goal threat. Their league position, our usual soft attempts at goal, and understandable fatigue suggested we would be sucker punched. The emotion around the stadium when Hyam put his chance away was mostly relief rather than joyful celebration.

The performance was ok but the 3 points vital to keep an interest in the season. Allen, Gyok, COH and Maatsen were the pick of the bunch for me but watching from the North Stand, the biggest annoyance was the passing to our wing backs. So often Maatsen had space in front of him but the pass was behind him or under hit killing forward momentum. The same for Kane who had the space but the ball was always laboured and slow getting to him. Just seems to me that should we quicken up passes to the wingbacks, and COH made better and quicker passing decisions when attacking the team would be far more effective.

Great to see Dabo and Tavares getting a run out - hopefully they will be a big positive in the run in
The problem Kane has are the squarish balls Hyam passes to him, he nearly always has to check back to get the ball obviously slowing him down, Hyam dawdles so much before he passes other than that he's not a bad defender but he certainly needs to work on his passing.
If you look at JCS he actually passes in front of the LWB so its easier to start a forward run.

TomS91

The problem Kane has are the squarish balls Hyam passes to him, he nearly always has to check back to get the ball obviously slowing him down, Hyam dawdles so much before he passes other than that he's not a bad defender but he certainly needs to work on his passing.
If you look at JCS he actually passes in front of the LWB so its easier to start a forward run.

You can see how frustrated Robins gets with Hyam's passing at times. He gets at least one bollocking per game for doing exactly as you described.

stevefloyd

I think that because of how shite Waghorn has been the majority of fans want to see someone/something else tried, even a young Tavares cannot be as bad as Waghorn has been, I don't remember him getting a shot on target since he came back from injury or if he has it wasn't really notable...1 goal from an experienced striker is frankly abysmal..even Baka and Biamou were better than that and they were deemed as crap.....

sylus

how many goals will Waghorn score before the end of the season, i think one, but just as likely to score none

stevefloyd

To be honest and as much as this grates me I would rather see Shipley play than Waghorn and believe me it really really really grates me to say that..at least Shipley may chip in with a goal because Waghorn just doesn't look like scoring at all...surely Robins and the team have seen something that we as fans cannot atm but we remain hopeful ..

rexo87

To be honest and as much as this grates me I would rather see Shipley play than Waghorn and believe me it really really really grates me to say that..at least Shipley may chip in with a goal because Waghorn just doesn't look like scoring at all...surely Robins and the team have seen something that we as fans cannot atm but we remain hopeful ..

Waghorn was about 6 inches away from scoring at the weekend. He's been fairly poor but he's far far better than Shipley

steve101

I know this can be said by many of our players, O'Hare included, but when watching pre-match shooting practice you can see he has great quality. He certainly can finish with his left foot. I think if he scores one he will go on and chip in reasonably regularly.
He seemed to get off on the wrong foot as many were critical of his signing and early performances. He looked like he was trying too hard rather than relaxing into his game. When he did score you could see the relief and although he didn't score after, his performances were better. He then had his shoulder injury and on returning seems the player that struggled to show his qualities at the start of the season. He just needs a scruffy goal to relieve some of the pressure.

Cov kid 55

Interestingly (to me anyway) didn’t Robins say that he’d changed the course of the game simply by the lift in atmosphere when he came on? So what, people want to cheer the introduction of a young player, good luck to them, (and to him) there hasn’t been too much to cheer lately.

Users who are viewing this thread