Match Thread Queens Park Rangers - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 30th Sep (2 Viewers)

Great_Expectations

Both Kelly and Eccles are perfectly adequate defensive midfielders. The former an intelligent player that senses danger and the other an excellent ball winner. Both are good enough to start with the right players alongside them. Them both being the fall guys for us not signing anybody with Hamer's capability is just ridiculous.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Yep - absolutely this.

Eccles or Kelly alongside Hamer, Sheaf or a player who has the insight to play forward and create and it’s absolutely fine.

Them together, with an anonymous 10 and an off form strike force is a disaster, but not of their own making.

Great_Expectations

Two defenders (ish) came to blows in the changing room apparently, one new signing and another an existing player.

Bidwell and another would be my guess?

It definitely kicked off in the changing room afterwards.... got this from a very reliable source.

Wasnt Fadz

Did we get to the bottom of who it was?

Based on comments/likes; Bidwell and Thomas?

If the former then good to see he is passionate about us despite being dropped through no fault of his own.

Martin180

I like Eccles. Don’t really get why he gets so much shit. Sometimes feels like homegrown players get a really hard time of it.
It is really bizarre , both Eccles and Kelly and more than adequate number 6s in the championship . We really shouldn't be playing both together but we have to due to Sheafs injury .

clint van damme

It’s fairly obvious that a starting midfield of Kelly and Eccles is not good enough to get in the top 6. They are the biggest issue, not the rest of the team.

They're not the issue as such though I agree they won't get us top 6.
Not recruiting players to do the stuff they can't do is the issue .
Eccles was fine doing what he does in our good run at the end of last season as was Kelly when called on but they were alongside Hamer and to a lesser extent Sheaf.

Bugsy

some may not agree, but I would start with this...PUSB

team.PNG

TomRad85

He's one of the best homegrown players we've had at the club in a decade.
He is but tbf its a low bar recently. We're hardly churning them out. Something we're looking to improve I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

some may not agree, but I would start with this...PUSB

View attachment 31978

Two things come to mind with that side

The first is, I keep trying to make a kitchen sink joke out of Kitching Binks.

The second is, I'm not sure there is much protection for the defence from Allen, Ayari, Sakamoto. Fine, when we've got the ball, less so when we don't have it. I'd probably have Kelly for Ayari, then let Ayari come on for Allen, when he runs out of steam.

SBT

Means little when we're at a much higher level than we've been for a decade.
Homegrown Championship players are much more valuable than homegrown L1/L2 ones!

I'm not saying Eccles is a world-beater (he isn't) but he's clearly a more competent player than other homegrowns like Bayliss and Shipley, yet doesn't seem to enjoy the same level of credit.

skybluecam

Homegrown Championship players are much more valuable than homegrown L1/L2 ones!

I'm not saying Eccles is a world-beater (he isn't) but he's clearly a more competent player than other homegrowns like Bayliss and Shipley, yet doesn't seem to enjoy the same level of credit.
Because Bayliss and Shipley broke out in L2 where they were genuinely good players for that level?

Eccles is an average championship player at best. It's logical he doesn't get the same praise. If Shipley or Bayliss were still here they'd be getting even more flak.

skybluecam

They're not the issue as such though I agree they won't get us top 6.
Not recruiting players to do the stuff they can't do is the issue .
Eccles was fine doing what he does in our good run at the end of last season as was Kelly when called on but they were alongside Hamer and to a lesser extent Sheaf.
Well, quite, yes. We should've bought a solid creative central midfielder who could come straight in and start games.

I assumed Ayari was going to play there, maybe he will in time. But we should've got him AND another. With Sheaf's injury we're now effectively starting our 3rd and 4th choice CMs from last year which is a bit of a shambles.

johnwillomagic

Kelly was easily the best player on the park for us on Monday night with honourable mentions to Binks & Simms.

Kelly is better than Eccles comfortably and I like Eccles but don't think we can play both together.
As I have said before would play Kelly with Allen alongside him as think that could work and Allen could offer the drive going forward.

fernandopartridge

Because Bayliss and Shipley broke out in L2 where they were genuinely good players for that level?

Eccles is an average championship player at best. It's logical he doesn't get the same praise. If Shipley or Bayliss were still here they'd be getting even more flak.
Yet he is was a regular starter in the only team we've ever had to reach the championship play offs

skybluecam

Yet he is was a regular starter in the only team we've ever had to reach the championship play offs

So? Doesn't contradict what I said, he's at best average in the championship. Him being part of a side that got carried to the playoffs on the back of two outstanding players, in one of the easiest years to make it, doesn't change that.

fernandopartridge

So? Doesn't contradict what I said, he's at best average in the championship. Him being part of a side that got carried to the playoffs on the back of two outstanding players, in one of the easiest years to make it, doesn't change that.

Average at what?

According to whoscored and FBRef he's in the top 10 for successful tackles per game (Sheaf is number 1). Given that's what his primary role is i'd say that is better than average.

skybluecam

Average at what?

According to whoscored and FBRef he's in the top 10 for successful tackles per game (Sheaf is number 1). Given that's what his primary role is i'd say that is better than average.
He's also 26th percentile for pass completion, 8th for take ons, <30 for blocks, interceptions and clearances.

He's attempted 51 take ons and been successful in 8! That's shocking.

Macca

Make 6000000 sideways passes, take the lead, decide that is enough, sit back, forget how to pass, forget how to shoot, forget how to defend 1-1.

So BAU

Users who are viewing this thread