Match Thread Queens Park Rangers - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 30th Sep (3 Viewers)

pusbccfc

Such a shit show. Having to get the coach down from Bedworth which stops in bloody Wycombe of all places on route. Would rather get down there. Assuming Belushi’s will be the best best pre-match, we decent in there last season.

Couldn't think of much worse than stopping there

pusbccfc

Tubes are still running I think but we're heading to the Sindercombe by Shepherds Bush Market. It was decent last season but you need to show your match ticket to get in. There was a Brewdog opposite aswell which let us in. 10 min walk to the ground.

Think Sindercombe and Belushis will be too small to fit everyone in. Last year Baker Street was heaving with Cov fans but can't see anyone going there without the trains running.

curly_tom

It's hard to understand the negativity for Kelly. I guess he is just an unfashionable player. He was given man of the match by the Sky commentator on Monday. He played very well, didn't do a great deal wrong. He is calm and experienced and is worth is place I think. He lacks the glamour of some players but I think people should appreciate what he does a bit more. I would keep in for now. I really don't think he is the problem.

The way I see it we had a Hamer last year who was able to produce something out of nothing even in games when we weren't getting anywhere and it's very difficult to replace a player like that at our level. We had a Premier League player playing for us. I know we didn't sign anyone in midfield after he left but even if we had it is unlikely he would be playing as well as Hamer and everyone would be wingeing that we signed a dud.

I think results will improve as the season goes on. I don't predict we'll be anywhere near the playoffs but I think we'll make the top half. The new boys up front will gain some confidence and start getting a few and we can make a signing or two in Jan.

Keep the faith guys...

Brighton Sky Blue

It's hard to understand the negativity for Kelly. I guess he is just an unfashionable player. He was given man of the match by the Sky commentator on Monday. He played very well, didn't do a great deal wrong. He is calm and experienced and is worth is place I think. He lacks the glamour of some players but I think people should appreciate what he does a bit more. I would keep in for now. I really don't think he is the problem.

The way I see it we had a Hamer last year who was able to produce something out of nothing even in games when we weren't getting anywhere and it's very difficult to replace a player like that at our level. We had a Premier League player playing for us. I know we didn't sign anyone in midfield after he left but even if we had it is unlikely he would be playing as well as Hamer and everyone would be wingeing that we signed a dud.

I think results will improve as the season goes on. I don't predict we'll be anywhere near the playoffs but I think we'll make the top half. The new boys up front will gain some confidence and start getting a few and we can make a signing or two in Jan.

Keep the faith guys...
I think it's more that the Kelly-Eccles midfield is two of the same very defensively minded player unable to transition the ball at more than a snail's pace.

Kilclines curly mullet

The issue isn’t Kelly necessarily

Its Kelly and Eccles together sat behind a very inexperienced player from Brighton, who himself is sat behind 2 strikers low on confidence

its a formula that just doesnt work and at the moment we must be so easy to play against.

And for the record, Eccles is punching in the championship - he is league 1 at best.

But he is seen as many as a good player as he is Coventry born.

SlowerThanPlatt

Its Kelly and Eccles together sat behind a very inexperienced player from Brighton, who himself is sat behind 2 strikers low on confidence

its a formula that just doesnt work and at the moment we must be so easy to play against.

And for the record, Eccles is punching in the championship - he is league 1 at best.

Oh right, so a professional football manager offered him a new contract because he was born in Coventry?

curly_tom

Yeah, and there's no way when Kelly's contract was extended he or Robins expected him to be starting

I disagree with this opinion. I think he's a good midfielder and getting better. I think he's a solid Championship player, a big part of getting us to 5th last season.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah, and there's no way when Kelly's contract was extended he or Robins expected him to be starting every game.
And as I said on Monday, he's busting a gut for the club in terms of effort, as is Eccles. They just aren't good enough to be starting every week and especially not as a combination, but we haven't got any other choice.

fernandopartridge

And as I said on Monday, he's busting a gut for the club in terms of effort, as is Eccles. They just aren't good enough to be starting every week and especially not as a combination, but we haven't got any other choice.
Both Kelly and Eccles are perfectly adequate defensive midfielders. The former an intelligent player that senses danger and the other an excellent ball winner. Both are good enough to start with the right players alongside them. Them both being the fall guys for us not signing anybody with Hamer's capability is just ridiculous.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Both Kelly and Eccles are perfectly adequate defensive midfielders. The former an intelligent player that senses danger and the other an excellent ball winner. Both are good enough to start with the right players alongside them. Them both being the fall guys for us not signing anybody with Hamer's capability is just ridiculous.

Have said elsewhere there’s issues all over the pitch.

Brighton Sky Blue

You say emphatically that neither of them are good enough to start

Not every week as a midfield duo. I called Eccles a good squad player at the season start and that’s still what I think he is. Kelly was also surely not intended to start every week either.

JulianDarbyFTW

For those asking for the Allen to play AM whilst Kelly and Eccles go DM, can I ask who we're bringing on if one of the DMs gets injured or tired? This is our biggest issue imo - MR cannot play all three at the same without significant risk. Wish we'd kept Howley, so at least we had another option if the worst happens. We'll end up with Godden playing with Kelly in midfield soon (I imagine the real answer will probably be Lati).

Osabisa3256

Well according to you Ayari is a Premier League standard player because he’s contracted to Brighton
He’s certainly a better footballer than Eccles explain to me what he offers apart from being slow tires very quickly constantly misplaces passes which nine times out of ten are always backwards.he would struggle to get in any championship side

SlowerThanPlatt

He’s certainly a better footballer than Eccles explain to me what he offers apart from being slow tires very quickly constantly misplaces passes which nine times out of ten are always backwards.he would struggle to get in any championship side
I should hope so really with him being top half Premier League standard

PVA

Statistically he was one of the best ball winning midfielders in the division last season.

His passing is average to poor though.

Which is why he's good alongside a Hamer but not so good alongside a Kelly (or rather not so suited). Win the ball, give it to Hamer, let him do his thing. Win the ball, give it to Kelly doesn't have quite the same effect.

Skyblue_LDN

I was so annoyed this sold out before I could get tickets, but after Huddersfield I think it might have done me a favour … that said I know I’ll be looking around for any drop outs tomorrow 😂

skybluecam

It’s fairly obvious that a starting midfield of Kelly and Eccles is not good enough to get in the top 6. They are the biggest issue, not the rest of the team.

TomRad85

Feel a bit sorry for Eccles. Always said he's a good backup to Sheaf and if that's how he was still used then I think he'd be held in higher regard. As it is he's gone from good backup to Sheaf, to playing alongside Sheaf (in place of Hamer), to playing alongside fucking Kelly. The downgrade in that area of the pitch is staggering.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

The downgrade in that area of the pitch is staggering.
It's also temporary, the same as the Norwich forward line, missing Barnes and Sargeant is. If it's the same post January, that is a different scenario. ,

Hertsccfc

It’s fairly obvious that a starting midfield of Kelly and Eccles is not good enough to get in the top 6. They are the biggest issue, not the rest of the team.
I don't understand why all the criticism is aimed at Kelly and Eccles. The problem has been at the AM position and two strikers who cost a lot of money and have scored one goal between them. People are saying we are not creating enough yet we are scoring goals and Kelly and Eccles have played a role in that.

Our problem is in the AM position and the strikers, apart from Godden. I don't know what the answer os to the AM position. Hopefully Allen will be fit enough now. For the strikers let's hope Wright and Simms finally live up to their price tags. Blaming Kelly and Eccles for their lack of output is unfair.

Going into the season with Palmer as the only attacking midfielder was crazy. We were never likely to be able to sign another Hamer or O'Hare quality player so at the very least should have signed a loan to cover the position. Ayari was not that player. I don't think he's a number 10 anyway and he doesn't look ready at all for this level of football.

Last edited:

TomRad85

It's also temporary, the same as the Norwich forward line, missing Barnes and Sargeant is. If it's the same post January, that is a different scenario. ,
I mean you could say any deficiency is temporary if you're counting signings that have yet to be made. It's a fuck up.

Brighton Sky Blue

I don't understand why all the criticism is aimed at Kelly and Eccles. The problem has been at the AM position and two strikers who cost a lot of money and have scored one goal between them. People are saying we are not creating enough yet we are scoring goals and Kelly and Eccles have played a role in that.

Our problem is in the AM position and the strikers, apart from Godden. I don't know what the answer os to the AM position. Hopefully Allen will be fit enough now. For the strikers let's hope Wright and Simms finally live up to their price tags.
For a start, it isn’t all aimed at them. We have a defence conceding soft goals, a midfield, including AM, unable to transition the ball and two of our 3 strikers are misfiring. No threat and a soft underbelly equals poor form.

Sky Blue Harry H

I mean you could say any deficiency is temporary if you're counting signings that have yet to be made. It's a fuck up.

We are currently missing Palmer and Sheaf, and waiting for O'Hare to return too. The situation is temporary.

Users who are viewing this thread