Popped over to see how sunderland felt about the last day . (1 Viewer)

letsallsingtogether

I dislike Sunderland as much as the next young man.... but they're not tht much of a poor side.... they're only 3pts behind us and could potentially end up knocking us out of the playoffs if things don't go as planned.
I said they are a poor side in the northeast which is correct, Middlesbough and Newcastle above them leaving them bottom of the big 3.

coop

That 95th minute goal for them could be what takes the last place as can't see Blackburn winning against Luton. We just need a draw but that's the worrying thing hopefully doesn't set up to try and draw.Either way what a season we've had.

Terry_dactyl

I hope they get into the play offs and we give them a good beating at wembley.
watch them crying again about cheating and other shit instead of looking at their team and admitting they are just a poor side in the North East.
They will always be in the shadow of Newcastle and just cant live with it fuking Tramps.
PUSB.
I think it’d be more appropriate if Middlesbrough and us play out the dullest of 0-0 draws.

JonesBob

Over 48,000 there today with just around 1000 Watford fans.I'd call that pretty good and yes, in club terms they are bigger than us. This who's knob is the biggest thing is a waste of time. Do you base it on trophies/titles won or fan base or fan passion etc. Let the actions on the pitch do the talking.
Why do people continually discuss this? A club is only as big/small as how one perceives it. All my life there has never been a bigger club than Coventry, period. If a friend supports Leeds, Man U, Plymouth, Barnet, Orient, etc, I would understand, in fact hope, that they see their club as the biggest in the world, and who am I to disagree? Sunderland are on a par with Nuneaton Boro, Solihull Moors or Aston Villa.

Warwickhunt

you have to think! who would Middlesborough rather play? a rabid win at all cost local derby team or a City team that allows you to play football properly with no dark arts.

Middlesborough have who they wan to face in their own hands (remind you of some game all those years ago?) LOL

slowpoke

Why do people continually discuss this? A club is only as big/small as how one perceives it. All my life there has never been a bigger club than Coventry, period. If a friend supports Leeds, Man U, Plymouth, Barnet, Orient, etc, I would understand, in fact hope, that they see their club as the biggest in the world, and who am I to disagree? Sunderland are on a par with Nuneaton Boro, Solihull Moors or Aston Villa.
This topic is often brought up sad fact is a club like Bournemouth for example with it’s small ground are bigger than us and have been for years, Brentford are too now but being London based a bit different.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Why can't their fans move on ? I can understand the older generation who were there at the time we drew with Bristol but it seems to have been passed down and drilled into the next generation who weren't even born.

JimmyHillsbeard

Have they worked out the possibility that we could play out a “convenient draw” with Boro to deny them a place in the play-offs yet?

Happy_Martian

This is both funny and cringeworthy (to use the most frequently used word on this forum recently). I get the 1977 frustration but that was 45 years go and was centred purely on one person, not the club or the fans as a whole. They bounced back and have succeeded in being relegated a couple of times since without our involvement. Yet they still hold on to that almost as justification for their own existence. And any rivalry between ourselves is as fake as the hatred they hold. It could be argued that by holding and immersing themselves in it, they have created their own rivalry with us. Just a shame that some of our less creative fans have responded in a similar manner and made it worse by their actions.

The whole situation is on the edge of getting out of hand and is beyond pathetic for grown men and women. It needs to be reigned in before someone is badly hurt. It's only by pure luck that no one has to date.

Sbarcher

This is both funny and cringeworthy (to use the most frequently used word on this forum recently). I get the 1977 frustration but that was 45 years go and was centred purely on one person, not the club or the fans as a whole. They bounced back and have succeeded in being relegated a couple of times since without our involvement. Yet they still hold on to that almost as justification for their own existence. And any rivalry between ourselves is as fake as the hatred they hold. It could be argued that by holding and immersing themselves in it, they have created their own rivalry with us. Just a shame that some of our less creative fans have responded in a similar manner and made it worse by their actions.

The whole situation is on the edge of getting out of hand and is beyond pathetic for grown men and women. It needs to be reigned in before someone is badly hurt. It's only by pure luck that no one has to date.
I used to work for a German company,one of the biggest in the world. I certainly did not hold my colleagues or the company responsible for the actions of their fathers and grandfathers in WW2. Get over it and move on.

Grendel

Its just a social media thing really. It was never an issue before and most of the supporters don’t refer to it at all

Grendel

I would agree except for the ‘Jimmy’s in a box’ chants

We’ve played them for years and years afterwards and never heard anything until recently

They had it in for Jimmy hill I accept that. Him laughing and blowing kisses to them at Craven Cottage wasn’t very sensible but he revelled in it to be honest

SBT

Why can't their fans move on ? I can understand the older generation who were there at the time we drew with Bristol but it seems to have been passed down and drilled into the next generation who weren't even born.
It’s a marriage of convenience between two teams without a natural rival in the same division. It’ll be forgotten about as soon as Sunderland get back in the same league as Newcastle.

bigfatronssba

I like the rivalry, I despise the club and their fans and can understand why they hate us too

I can’t understand it.

If they seriously hate us for crowd congestion around Highfield Road in 1977 then that is just pathetic

stupot07

It's so pathetic. Regardless of the what happened, they lost their last game against Everton 2-0, had they drew or even won then they would have survived. It was in their hands.

I'd wager the majority I'd their fan base wouldn't even have been born or even old enough to be there and remember it.

Some of the bile they come out with over a bloody football match is ridiculous.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Covcraig@bury

I explained to a scumberland fan on holiday with regards to The Bristol city game kicking off late ( I was there ) it was the police that delayed the KO not JH as he didn’t have the authority to do so .
The thick wanna be Geordie refused to believe it ! They need the JH story to continue as that’s all they’ve got to hang on to ✊💦💦💦💦💦💦💦💦💦

Happy_Martian

It’s a marriage of convenience between two teams without a natural rival in the same division. It’ll be forgotten about as soon as Sunderland get back in the same league as Newcastle.

I wouldn't say convenience. Don't we already have Birmingham or West Brom in this league ? There was verbal shit slinging between the two sets of supporters even when we were in a different division. And Sunderland were only in League 1 for two seasons while we were there. Besides, they've got Middlesboro to worry about naturally. Sunderland is so far from being a rival this keyboard warrior-ship is ridiculous. Yet a minority of both sets of fans seem to enjoy and thrive on the hostility.

The debris and bottle that were seemingly thrown at SoL and the violent behaviour around the CBS are cases in point. I can't recall any complaints about this level of hooliganism at any other ground we've visited or that we've received from other fans.

Sick Boy

Period?

Grendel

I explained to a scumberland fan on holiday with regards to The Bristol city game kicking off late ( I was there ) it was the police that delayed the KO not JH as he didn’t have the authority to do so .
The thick wanna be Geordie refused to believe it ! They need the JH story to continue as that’s all they’ve got to hang on to ✊💦💦💦💦💦💦💦💦💦

Hill antics afterwards were predictably over the top and embarrassing

We’d never get away with it now

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

To be fair, even though JH didn't get the game delayed, he did say he had the Sunderland score put on the screen so both teams knew to play out the draw.

robbiethemole

Can’t understand the wankfest in the press over these twats and Baggies being close to the playoffs. Hardly any mention of Millwall and ourselves, actually in the playoffs, God help us if either actually fluke a spot in the top 6, the shit will be unbearable

bigfatronssba

Can’t understand the wankfest in the press over these twats and Baggies being close to the playoffs. Hardly any mention of Millwall and ourselves, actually in the playoffs, God help us if either actually fluke a spot in the top 6, the shit will be unbearable

Luton don’t get a massive amount of attention either, other than to make snobbish remarks about their stadium

Flying Fokker

OMG id love to get them at Wembley, and finally show them who the bigger club and best support is. We'd drown them out no problem and once they go behind you wouldn't hear a peek out of them.
Don’t you have this niggle that they would explode when we beat them? It’s a heavy burden that they carry simply because they didn’t perform well enough over the 42 games in 1976 or whenever it was.

Astute

It's so pathetic. Regardless of the what happened, they lost their last game against Everton 2-0, had they drew or even won then they would have survived. It was in their hands.

I'd wager the majority I'd their fan base wouldn't even have been born or even old enough to be there and remember it.

Some of the bile they come out with over a bloody football match is ridiculous.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
It can carry a good comedy value though.

My favourite is where one of them said how it still brings him to tears when he thinks about it. Then he ended his post admitting he was born many years after the event.

pusbccfc

Jimmy Hill being restrained by the police for winding up those animals is still one of the funniest things ever

Since this happened in 2008, Sunderland haven't beaten us.

Users who are viewing this thread