Match Thread PNE (A) Weds 20th Oct, 7.45 (1 Viewer)

higgs

If we won tonight we would be in 2nd place now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Preston away is always a write off for me…. Move on to the next, like I said before though. Concerning how we lose the plot after conceding for the third away game in a row

Brighton Sky Blue

Preston away is always a write off for me…. Move on to the next, like I said before though. Concerning how we lose the plot after conceding for the third away game in a row

There’s no reason why it should be a write off or why we should have better records at Old Trafford and Anfield than fecking Preston. They really aren’t that good

Evo1883

Felt we were average 1st half , poor second .

Too deep throughout , they had 5 yards every time they passed the ball to a player .. the thing that bothered me the most is we never reacted with subs when it was apparent they were taking over completely and instead waited until we were behind .

Surprised again we haven't played 1 up as its the only formation that's got us a win away .

Ah well we move onto Saturday

larry_david

“Then we did what we normally do, we had a bit of a wobble and didn’t keep the ball well enough and that was the reason they started to push and grew in confidence and grew into the game and that was the disappointing thing for me"

Christ

SkyblueTexan

Let's hope for a Saudi takeover to salvage our season.

The Philosopher

Felt we were average 1st half , poor second .

Too deep throughout , they had 5 yards every time they passed the ball to a player .. the thing that bothered me the most is we never reacted with subs when it was apparent they were taking over completely and instead waited until we were behind .

Surprised again we haven't played 1 up as its the only formation that's got us a win away .

Ah well we move onto Saturday
Agree.

Problem is that the only player that we can play 1 up with is Vik. None of the others have got decent strength or exceptional pace.

We’ve lost / managed to ship out our big players (ie strong ones, 6’4” Baka, 6”1 Max, even 6’1” Kasta at a stretch - they may not be upper Champ or even Champ level players but you could see why they’d originally been signed - strength / size / maybe pace. Hiwula / JCH before that similarly.) They weren’t the quality we need, but we’ve lost backup strength and replaced with Waghorn.

Vik has come in - and he’s great. Waghorn is not the answer in a 1 up scenario.

If anyone can tell me that we have a strong back up striker for Vik?

Answers on a postcard.

SlowerThanPlatt

He did win two good flick ons to Gyokeres with his head and finished his chance well but I thought it was a very odd non-celebration. Not sure why when he was the opposite v Blackburn.

More inclined to celebrate in front of thousands of your own fans than opposition?

SeaSeeEffCee

We really struggle when teams press us hard and get physical. Preston played just like Luton did and we couldn’t handle it again. Robins needs to figure something out.

Brighton Sky Blue

We really struggle when teams press us hard and get physical. Preston played just like Luton did and we couldn’t handle it again. Robins needs to figure something out.

Wasn’t even a press, just hoofing into the box and a higher tempo. We are a short and slow side hence the difficulties

Kingokings204

Just got back. Missed chance tonight
As Preston weren't very good at all and we were worse. Took a underserved lead imo which papered over the cracks of a poor first half. Never thought we would lose 2– 1 though and yet again crumbled under pressure. And to top it off we never ever looked like getting back in to it. Gyokores wasn’t fit to start and Robins got it tactically all wrong tonight and that’s on his head. He said as much in the post match press conference. He needed to make the changes at 1-1 which he now acknowledges and for goodness sake it was blindingly obvious we were a body short in midfield. Kelly and hamer were headless chickens running left and right. It needed Allen or sheaf in there to match Up their 3 midfielders which Let Johnson dictate the play for them.

overall I forgive Robins as he admitted he got it wrong as we all can and it was a really bad day at the office. Still 4th which is incredible.
As always the thing that pisses me off the most is that the opposition (Preston) were dog shit.

clint van damme

To be fair thought Dabo was 50/50 with Earl overall. Thought second half Dabo and maatsen became fairly ineffective in an attacking sense (as did the team as a whole)

I could have understood leaving Dabo on if it was 0-0 because he was an attacking threat but once we scored the impetus should have been on protecting the lead and Dabo was getting roasted.
Robins got it wrong last night. Needs a good look at how we're doing things away before Hull.

Macca

Ultimately your reaction to a defeat depends on your expectations for the season. If like me you are expecting a top half finish then it’s easy to take. If you have bought into the promotion fantasy then you will lose a nights sleep

Sick Boy

He's supposed to be good on the ball, he came on at a crucial time and overhit 2 crucial passes completely ruining our move.
…and yet he was still superior to Kelly who amazingly seems to evade criticism. Then we have the weird criticism and negativity around Walker not celebrating in a certain way.

Evo1883

Central midfield had a mare last night overall , plus the 2 wing backs , plus Robins.

Ah well .. Derby won't be as easy as some believe either .

We need to up it Saturday, and then carry that tempo into the Hull game instead of playing like we are shit scared of every fucker away.

I can't accept its all on the players away from home , we definitely set out differently .... for starters we rarely ever play long ball at home but always seem to try it away

Evo1883

We looked like a team that had just come up last night , we saw those performances a few times last season

larry_david

Let's be honest, we completely lost the pot second half.

Not one player took anyone on. The only player showing actual drive was Fadz coming from his own half. Dabo ALWAYS has that stupid tackle in him, then switched off to let them take the quick free kick.
Maatson was all over the place, didnt take a man on all evening and then as someone above says, starting drifting inside leaving Rose on the left wing!
Kelly, Hamer and O hare kept getting in each others way, at least 4 occasions we were 3 on one vs Johnson in tackling him and he still wriggled free.
They were stronger, wanted it more second half and we looked shell shocked.
Vik shouldn't have played as he was not right.
Waghorn came on and did NOTHING
I'm still annoyed as you can tell.

Brighton Sky Blue

Ultimately your reaction to a defeat depends on your expectations for the season. If like me you are expecting a top half finish then it’s easy to take. If you have bought into the promotion fantasy then you will lose a nights sleep

Expecting relegation or the title, losing to poor opposition is always going to be frustrating. At least the sun is shining here in Preston this morning

Evo1883

I still find it strange that we haven't tried the box away again , we looked very good in spells at blackpool and as we now see they are no mugs

skybluegod

Disappointing result really. First half was pretty even with a good finish from Tyler.

Second half was abysmal. Robins has rightly come out and held his hands up. But really disappointed in the senior pro's tonight. There was an utter lack of in-game management. Kept on booting it out for set pieces which was their main threat literally asking them to attack.

About 5 mins into the second half you could see they were going to overload the wide areas. Dabs and Maatsen both had shit games but second half they were both facing 3 on 1's at times. And the times that Kelly/Hamer came across to help, left us massively exposed centrally. Needed Allen or sheaf on early doors to had that extra body in the middle (as I mentioned in the thread at the time) unfortunately we like to lose to Preston, but we desperately need to sort out away form out. Would be better off going with the box away I feel.

Just to note their CB's were everything ours needed to be defensively last night. They were so aggressive in the challenge. And knew when to take one for the team. Obviously not as good on the ball, but from the start you knew Preston would be physical and our players needed to match that and unfortunately too many didn't last night.

Walker was impressive, cementing that spot as it stands as he was probably the only real shining light, rose and O'Hare okay without setting the world alight.

no_loyalty

…and yet he was still superior to Kelly who amazingly seems to evade criticism. Then we have the weird criticism and negativity around Walker not celebrating in a certain way.

Kelly was awful last night, kept giving the ball away and was lucky not to be sent off.

jordan210

I dont want to single out players as @shmmeee knows I don't do it 😉

Kelly was a big problem last night , kept the team too deep with him trying to sweep infront of the back line and it had a snowball effect on the side ... shoot me

Kelly allways plays very deep. ESP when we are trying to hold the lead. It just invites pressure.

Also how come Preston did long throws/corners and we dint push 3 to the half way line and tried to get them in the break.

Brighton Sky Blue

Kelly allways plays very deep. ESP when we are trying to hold the lead. It just invites pressure.

Also how come Preston did long throws/corners and we dint push 3 to the half way line and tried to get them in the break.

I guess because we were so mismatched on height

jordan210

Let's be honest, we completely lost the pot second half.

Not one player took anyone on. The only player showing actual drive was Fadz coming from his own half. Dabo ALWAYS has that stupid tackle in him, then switched off to let them take the quick free kick.
Maatson was all over the place, didnt take a man on all evening and then as someone above says, starting drifting inside leaving Rose on the left wing!
Kelly, Hamer and O hare kept getting in each others way, at least 4 occasions we were 3 on one vs Johnson in tackling him and he still wriggled free.
They were stronger, wanted it more second half and we looked shell shocked.
Vik shouldn't have played as he was not right.
Waghorn came on and did NOTHING
I'm still annoyed as you can tell.

Agree with most of that.

On Waghorn. I don't think midfield played a ball forward to him when he was on. He was having to drop in to try and find the ball. Waghorn defo works better with Vik.

But that appears to be the problem. The midfield was very compact all night. After their 2nd goal they just overloaded it and we dint try and use the wings.

Last edited:

Great_Expectations

One thing I noticed on a quite a few occasions in the second half was Maatsen drifting central as into the second striker space leaving Rose and the CMs with no outlet on the left.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I blame it on inexperience and being desperate to get on the ball and make something happen. Like a school kid who knows he’s the best and just runs around trying to get the ball and do it all themself.

He was clearly frustrated after the second goal as. he booted the ball into the net in anger. Partly as he was partially to blame for the unnecessary corner and partly as it was a bad night for him.

Poor game, but definitely still an asset.

Users who are viewing this thread