Match Thread PNE (A) Weds 20th Oct, 7.45 (1 Viewer)

skyblue1991

Tactics were wrong tongight

Should've rested Gyko if he wasn't fit and just played Walker on his own. Another body needed in midfield in Allen and think we should look to do this next away game but Gyo up front by himself (even against Hull!) because it's not working at the moment

Kelly and Maasten poor tonight, should've been subbed at 60 mins. Liked Walker, O'Hare needed a rest I guess but we are much weaker without him

Move on to Derby!

Grendel

What was? Rose bringing the ball out. We needed to be braver on the ball that was all. Who’s pissed on your chips

you do seem blind to some obvious poor performances. We can’t buy a win away that isn’t just a coincidence

Grendel

Should have lost 6-1 then. You want perfection and you live in dreamland. Dabo wasn’t poor all night that’s bollox

look at the match ratings

Sky Blue Pete

you do seem blind to some obvious poor performances. We can’t buy a win away that isn’t just a coincidence
Not saying it is. You think we were lucky to go in ahead I think bollox

They came at us and had some half chances but I’m not buying your nonsense sorry

SlowerThanPlatt

Fair comments from Robins. Says we didn’t deserve to win and should have made changes sooner.

Away results need to improve quick as winning every home game to counter that isn’t sustainable

Sky Blue Pete

"not sure if was coming"

When every body could see it was coming
Ah ok. I love this nonsense too. We are 4th I’m the league!!!!

Because it was normally the way it goes people just say it and then say I’m a football genius cause I thought they’d equalise

We could easily have ridden their 15 mins. That header was excellent.
You lot have such high expectations and then react like a lover scorned when we can’t meet those expectations
It’s madness

OldBedrocker

Am I the only one concerned about how poor our set pieces are? Corners, free kicks and throws are all crap. Have we scored from a corner or free kick yet? We’re not particularly good at defending them either

Sky Blue Pete

Am I the only one concerned about how poor our set pieces are? Corners, free kicks and throws are all crap. Have we scored from a corner or free kick yet? We’re not particularly good at defending them either
We are 4th ffs

Perspective

We didn’t concede from one today or score from one Hamer came close

stupot07

Whilst Dabo us the better overall player, Kanes delivery into the box is far superior.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

covmark

Fair point. Every time they slung a throw into our box, we looked nervous. We need to try that shit.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Ostigard is sorely missing in both respects and nobody has tried replacing the long throw we’ve lost either.

Sky Blue Pete

The frustration is understandable Pete, though it’s more just baffling how the second half was unrecognisable from the first.

The highlights a cracking goal for Walker and fans who didn’t stop singing.
Not if you ask Nick and grendel we were crap the whole game everyone could see a header from the edge of the box into the corner and that we were going to lose.
I’m so pleased Robins doesn’t have a mental illness like us fans. Calm when we win calm when we lose. The players need belief for play to the level they can and they won’t every game. It’s not rocket science

Reactions: COV

OldBedrocker

We are 4th ffs

Perspective

We didn’t concede from one today or score from one Hamer came close
What has being 4th got to do with it?
Our free kicks and corners are awful most teams get several goals a season from them but not us. Better delivery could have gained us a few more points this season. Oh and one goal conceded tonight was recycled from a poorly cleared corner

Nick

Administrator
Ah ok. I love this nonsense too. We are 4th I’m the league!!!!

Because it was normally the way it goes people just say it and then say I’m a football genius cause I thought they’d equalise

We could easily have ridden their 15 mins. That header was excellent.
You lot have such high expectations and then react like a lover scorned when we can’t meet those expectations
It’s madness
4th in the league doesn't change tonight

Nick

Administrator
Not if you ask Nick and grendel we were crap the whole game everyone could see a header from the edge of the box into the corner and that we were going to lose.
I’m so pleased Robins doesn’t have a mental illness like us fans. Calm when we win calm when we lose. The players need belief for play to the level they can and they won’t every game. It’s not rocket science

Funny that, robins agreed he should have changed it earlier.

I didn't say crap the whole game, did I?

Great_Expectations

We were two completely different teams first and second half. First we looked comfortable and a threat each time we attacked, second we could barely string a pass together and offered nothing offensively.

Taking Gyokeres and COH off when in need of a goal is a nightmare situation. It may have been injury related, but if so it highlights the lack of a replacement 10 we have. Even more frustrating Bright has pissed it up the wall - we need someone to come on, do something different and provide an attacking threat. Maybe Jones will get there.

Rose was fine, but JCS needs to come back in for balance. Kelly was poor too, and maybe against Derby we go back to Allen and take the game to them and play on the front foot.

We’re still doing better than many expected, but it also makes us want and expect more.

Brighton Sky Blue

First half I saw us not really troubled though I said at the time I was concerned about the set pieces and height disparity. While yes it’s a good header, he shouldn’t be getting the chance in the first place. Second goal again far too soft.

All the while barely anything was threatened going forward and it was like the sides swapped shirts. This was very winnable at the end of the day.

CBS16

Why is everyone saying 'we're 4th in the league'?
It's October, it's about performances and this is a thread about the PNE showing.
Capitulation second half. Sheaf and maatsen need to be better. robins needs to have a serious rethink about how to manage games away from home. We have a good side in there but we can't afford to slip into last season's ways if we have any ambitions. Need to battle better than that second half we bent over for them. Great support again PUSB

junglej13

To be fair thought Dabo was 50/50 with Earl overall. Thought second half Dabo and maatsen became fairly ineffective in an attacking sense (as did the team as a whole)
Thought Maatsen and Dabo were the worst players on the pitch tonight. Was at the game with a Preston fan who said he thought Maatsen looked like a rabbit in the headlights 2nd half. Very few positives overall. Was critical of JCS after Luton but having a left footed centre back on the left gives us so much more balance when we have the ball.

SlowerThanPlatt

Mark Robins came away from tonight’s match at Deepdale ‘frustrated’ after his side fell to defeat against Preston.

Tyler Walker had given City the lead at the break with a fine finish but a second half turn around from the hosts saw the Sky Blues slip to a 2-1 defeat.

“I’m frustrated because we had done pretty well in the first half and they had not really threatened too much. There was a save from a corner but we didn’t win enough first contacts all game and that came home to roost in the second half.” Robins said.

“We had done pretty well in terms of trying to keep playing under pressure and when we were fouled because there was a lot of niggly fouls that went unpunished, I don’t know if it’s the Matty Godden thing where everyone decides we just fall over, but there were times in the game where they were nailed on free kicks, nailed on fouls, especially on Callum who gets kicked all over the place but it’s not an excuse.”

Robins praised the move that created the goal but believes his side ran out of energy in the second half which allowed the home side to grow into the game.

“At the end of the first half we ended up building into a really good move then for the goal and it was a great finish right on the stroke of half time and we spoke at half time about we needed to do second half and we just seemed to run out of energy.

“They really pushed for the goal, their supporters showed their displeasure in the first half when they were coming off and that sort of galvanized them and gave them a purpose for the second half, obviously they are at home, and they want to win the game.”

On reflection the manager thought he could have made changes sooner.

“They ended up getting on top and I needed to change it earlier, I didn’t, and they got on top in the game and they created a decent opportunity from a corner but in fairness we dealt with that and it was Ian Maatsen’s touch took it out for a corner when. his touch is generally really assured, but we gave them a corner, they got first contact and it skidded off the surface and off the post.

“Then we did what we normally do, we had a bit of a wobble and didn’t keep the ball well enough and that was the reason they started to push and grew in confidence and grew into the game and that was the disappointing thing for me.

“Like I said I have take responsibility for things I don’t do and really I should have acted a little bit quicker because you could see it was building but ultimately if you get it out and be better with the ball you can really hurt them but that didn’t happen tonight.”

covmark

Why is everyone saying 'we're 4th in the league'?
It's October, it's about performances and this is a thread about the PNE showing.
Capitulation second half. Sheaf and maatsen need to be better. robins needs to have a serious rethink about how to manage games away from home. We have a good side in there but we can't afford to slip into last season's ways if we have any ambitions. Need to battle better than that second half we bent over for them. Great support again PUSB
Harsh to single out Sheaf. He had about 5 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Happy_Martian

usskyblue

The all or nothing brigade. A bit like tonight’s performance, no fucking middle ground.

The bottom line is we weren’t prepared for them in the second half and it’s hard to change momentum when it swings that far. Robins maybe/should’ve changed things earlier (he’s admitted that himself) but even when he did, we didn’t construct anything positive… so it’s a bit of a moot point.

It fucking sucks but I’m not going to wallow in it… coming back from the Luton game with a brilliant win over Fulham should’ve taught us all that the manager and the squad don’t wallow in it either.

We need to stiffen up away, go 1 up top and have an extra body in midfield. I think you’ll see that happen moving forward.

Users who are viewing this thread