Match Thread Plymouth (A)- Wednesday 14th Feb (2 Viewers)

hamertime

Simms does the dirty work such as handling opposition Centre backs, winning aerial duels, focal point at the start of attacks in the final third, drives forward well out wide, he has all the physical attributes, there are technical limitations to his game for sure but they can be coached in as he’s only just turned 23. I believe in MR and AV to coach the best out of him, besides I’d fully back him to have a storming season next year when he’s fully settled. He looked amazing in pre season and I think next year he’ll kick on
I like your optimism, you make him sound like Benzema.

JSL

I suspect that the team selection for tonight will cause a few raised eyebrows and then rectified with some master class substitutions later on which seems to be the norm of late. If COH is injured it makes the starting selection a little more awkward. Does Binks keep his place and will it be Bidwell or JDS? Eccles or Lati? Quite a few possible permutations.

Last edited:

Grendel

He was ok in his substitute appearance in Sunday but that's very much the exception. I do wish we would give him time to develop rather than keep playing him.

He was ok but some posters have used words like immense and a beast and someone who terrorised the defence

He’s the opposite. He doesn’t used his height and power to great effect at all. Unlike Wright he lacks awareness and football intelligence. I’m amazed how naive and raw he seems given his background and that he’s played at a reasonable level.

It’s baffling

Hertsccfc

He was ok but some posters have used words like immense and a beast and someone who terrorised the defence

He’s the opposite. He doesn’t used his height and power to great effect at all. Unlike Wright he lacks awareness and football intelligence. I’m amazed how naive and raw he seems given his background and that he’s played at a reasonable level.

It’s baffling
I agree and start to wonder if I have been watching a completely different player. Sunday was the first time that he didn't look totally tame to me. And yet I have seen recently people say they are still convinced he will score more than Wright this season.

Happy_Martian

1707924196392.png

Can't get registered on their site to explain that while we're not them up the M69, we did beat them.

Think it will be closer than that. Anticipating a draw to keep up my prediction points. But even without Cal, there's no reason we can't beat these. Azazz is gone so as long as we keep Whittaker quiet, we've got as good a chance as anyone.

Would be happy with Wright - Simms - Saka-san and Palmer in Cal's role but think Godden will be the lone striker so the top 3 continue their rotation time as per Robin's comments after Oxford.

Sky Blue Pete

Big opportunity for palmer
Ohare hasn’t always been brilliant on the ball since he’s come back but his finishing has been on another level and his tracking back is phenomenal

Ashdown

Think Simms has been a costly buy for what he offers but in reality Matty G seems to be second to most balls recently , he’s just not quick enough at this level now. I’d prefer him with chances when the ball is at his feet than Simms but it’s not really been happening for him. My vote would go to Ellis but only till the Summer when I would replace both of them.

edgy

1707925486708.png

This would be my pick.

We'll need to be at our very best tonight to keep these out. We havent had a clean sheet in 10 games, best back 4 have to start for me.

I've dropped Palmer as I thought he largely anonymous against Millwall and poor when he was on the ball. We'll be up against it and without the ball for large periods I suspect tonight, so we need players who will look after it when we do get it.

Eccles gets the nod again as he is good at winning possession back, with Lati next to him after a good 2nd half in that position against Milwall. Feel those two are our best combo in there, if we have to move Torp a slot forward. Which I would do, he looks intelligent on the ball and will look after it far better than Palmer would.

Wright & Sakamoto are invaluable for us. We are overusing Sakamoto, but he is very resilient and needs must.

I've read Godden gets the start tonight, but not my choice. Maybe he may click with Torp with clever balls, I hope so.

Ashdown

View attachment 34048

This would be my pick.

We'll need to be at our very best tonight to keep these out. We havent had a clean sheet in 10 games, best back 4 have to start for me.

I've dropped Palmer as I thought he largely anonymous against Millwall and poor when he was on the ball. We'll be up against it and without the ball for large periods I suspect tonight, so we need players who will look after it when we do get it.

Eccles gets the nod again as he is good at winning possession back, with Lati next to him after a good 2nd half in that position against Milwall. Feel those two are our best combo in there, if we have to move Torp a slot forward. Which I would do, he looks intelligent on the ball and will look after it far better than Palmer would.

Wright & Sakamoto are invaluable for us. We are overusing Sakamoto, but he is very resilient and needs must.

I've read Godden gets the start tonight, but not my choice. Maybe he may click with Torp with clever balls, I hope so.
Bang on 👍

Deity

JohnWH

Hello there

You may recall I write a regular preview/review slot on Pasoti entitles One Game at a Time. I started the season with You're Only Here for the Pasties as the subhead but we have seemingly developed a theme of referencing local delicacies.....

It is very much a green tinted view of the world, written firmly tongue in cheek and I am always happy to correct factual inaccuracies but the jokes are the jokes.

This weeks preview includes a few thoughts on the previous fixture, some players who you have sent west over the years who made an impact in Green.

Since last we met you have had impressive form and whilst we at Home Park are all devastated we may not see the excellent Callum O'Hare tonight we all hope he recovers in time for Saturdays trip to appear on the Great Potters-y Go Down on BBC2.

Safe travels to all coming West.
Here it is. Enjoy

A very fun read for your opening post on Pasoti. Favorite phrases include
"....beat Argyle with a late goal, scored when the ball was cut back from so far off the pitch two of the City ball boys fell out over who was closest to being given an assist."
"....using rock paper scissors to select which of them should take the penalty they had just been awarded. Haji Wright, who took the pen, threw rock, statistically the weakest choice, but most frequently played by testosterone fuelled men. In this case it defeated Callum O’Hares choice of scissors, and the battle of the sides two top scorers was settled in favour of the striker. Just as well they didn’t go for the version popularised in Big Bang Theory of Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock or we could have been there all night
."

Well done then, you do this for every game?

JohnWH

got a feeling torp will score from distance/free kick tonight, hes been so close recently.

Hopefully they all have gotten more used to each other on the training grounds, too. I think Torp could be really deadly with taking corners, so hopefully everyone training together on that will make us more dangerous. I also suspected Torp (or MVE) for a direct free kick goal tonight for a tidy 1-0 win.
I think everyone wants to see a repeat of Torpedo's goal vs SW

David O'Day

As it looks like O'Hare is out then it must be Palmer in at 10.

Anyone who wants Eccles and Lati to both play in Midfield will do well to remember how shite they were together against Bristol.

SIR ERNIE

The Simms/Godden question concerns me less than the DM position.
Neither Eccles or Torp have the discipline and defensive nous of Sheaf and at times in the last couple of games the CBs have been exposed.

skybluecam

In light of new info

Collins

MVE Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Eccles Torp
Palmer
Sakamoto Simms Wright

Still good enough to get a result.

Users who are viewing this thread