O'Hare bids (3 Viewers)

KenilworthSkyBlue

Not necessarilly when your stock is high as a player. Take a new contract and a pay rise with a release clause that suits you. The increased pay rise and extended contract raises their bargaining position.

Mediocre players on the other hand are better off winding contracts down and becoming free agents.

Why would either take a new contract when they'd probably prefer a move elsewhere?

Terry Gibson's perm

Why would either take a new contract when they'd probably prefer a move elsewhere?

Security, what if they got a bad injury in the last month of the contract, it happened to somebody like Gary Ablett he didn’t sign the contract and then got a bad injury and he had nothing.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Security, what if they got a bad injury in the last month of the contract, it happened to somebody like Gary Ablett he didn’t sign the contract and then got a bad injury and he had nothing.

Do most players looking to further their career really think like that though? On that basis every sought after player with one year remaining on their current deal would sign a new contract.

Terry Gibson's perm

Do most players looking to further their career really think like that though? On that basis every sought after player with one year remaining on their current deal would sign a new contract.

I guess it will depend how financially secure they are

Grendel

Depends if said contract has a sell on Clause which somehow gets leaked

Brighton Sky Blue

Bloody hell if we get promoted we will need about 25 new signings then.

Forest have recruited about as well as they can. Use loans where you need and take decent players from the Championship and foreign top flights.

Well the Bosman ruling put paid to a good deal of that and ‘I can do better’ takes care of the rest

KenilworthSkyBlue

Depends if said contract has a sell on Clause which somehow gets leaked

Aren't sell on clauses usually relatively low? If a player knows you want to retain them, but has his eye on moving on within a relatively short period, he's not going to act out of good faith and agree to insert a significant sell on clause into his own contract.

Haaland's at Dortmund was probably the best example of that.

stay_up_skyblues

Aren't sell on clauses usually relatively low? If a player knows you want to retain them, but has his eye on moving on within a relatively short period, he's not going to act out of good faith and agree to insert a significant sell on clause into his own contract.

Haaland's at Dortmund was probably the best example of that.

Conversely you had Grealish sign on long term for a big hike and £100m release clause with both parties aware he would be leaving in the not too distant.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Conversely you had Grealish sign on long term for a big hike and £100m release clause with both parties aware he would be leaving in the not too distant.

True but that's an exceptional circumstance.

You're comparing a boyhood Villa fan who quite clearly adores the club to Hamer for instance who has already spoken about his ambitions of playing at a higher level.

rexo87

From the Athletic who are about as reliable as you can get.

'Two bids have been rejected, the first coming in at around £3.5million plus add-ons. The second one was an improvement but still not enough.

Burnley have not given in and the two clubs have held verbal discussions since. There is a belief among all parties a deal can be done, but only if it meets Coventry’s valuation, thought to be above £6million ($7.2m).'

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

better days

Pretty insulting first bid. Sounds like we will accept anything over 6M

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
I'd heard Fulham had offered £5m a while back
But maybe that was also based on hitting certain milestones to reach the total figure
We rejected it anyway apparently

Grendel

It shows how we overate our players value if that’s true

Did anyone even bid for Hamer at all?

skybluegod

What are we basing him being a £10 million player on? Maybe with add ons yes but certainly not as a guaranteed fee. £6-7 million guarantee is a good fee in my view. Hard to replace of course, and he's key to the team but I'm not sure his output justified anything more.

Grendel

It has to be 10 at least - these people have parachute money - hopefully he will
Stick for this season with a club who appreciates him

He will have one year left then on his contract so the value will decline further

Terry_dactyl

What are we basing him being a £10 million player on? Maybe with add ons yes but certainly not as a guaranteed fee. £6-7 million guarantee is a good fee in my view. Hard to replace of course, and he's key to the team but I'm not sure his output justified anything more.
Rather than the market value I think it’s the perception that Burnley have the money due to parachute payments.

Dec-ccfc

I do agree with the few you have quoted but we are being very cute and it looks like we are positioning ourselves to get maximum value from this deal. If we are in a position that we need X amount to cover losses over covid then we should be angling to cover that as well as extra money to replace.

We know they will have the funds and they have publicly stated they want Callum. If they want to poach the best players in their division you pay a premium.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

We don’t want to sell him, so for us to be tempted it has to be a silly figure. We’re not here to be reasonable we’re here to get what we want for our player

Skyblue_CP

I'd heard Fulham had offered £5m a while back
But maybe that was also based on hitting certain milestones to reach the total figure
We rejected it anyway apparently
From what you have heard since, is it still a dead cert that he’s off to those up north?

skybluegod

We don’t want to sell him, so for us to be tempted it has to be a silly figure. We’re not here to be reasonable we’re here to get what we want for our player

Wrong. The club do want/need to sell one of the club's best assets. What we want is £6 million clearly so? Of course Robins doesn't. But I'm sure he also wants a £50 million transfer kitty.

Bertola

From the very same Athletic article...

The 24-year-old ticks the chance-creation box. The former Aston Villa academy graduate created the sixth-most chances in last season’s Championship, with 86.

O’Hare is not a set-piece taker so when we reduce the sample to chances created from open play, the attacking midfielder tops the charts, according to Opta.

To sell the most creative player in the championship for less than £10m would be very disappointing

Users who are viewing this thread