Match Thread Notts County v Coventry Friday 18th May (1 Viewer)

CCFCSteve

Bloody hell!!! Red card!! Dive by their right back after being booked, Duffy assaulting max when going clean through. Plenty of decisions went for them.

Agreed. Nolan can pick all the big ones but the fact is they had their share and were beaten by the (bar far over two legs) better football team. Exeter and City have beaten the anti football !!!

Max was immense. Glad Grendel has finally given him a tiny bit of (long overdue) credit tonight but the fact is since Jan/Feb he has been consistently good, works his arse off and has a decent goals per game for a target man. He scores quality goals as well...for such a crap footballer !

rupert_bear

To be honest I’m not sure of the offside rule anymore, when the free kick was taken Fonte was in an offside position, got back onside as the ball was headed onto him, at what point is he declared “active” when the ball is kicked forward or deflected ?

Grendel

To be honest I’m not sure of the offside rule anymore, when the free kick was taken Fonte was in an offside position, got back onside as the ball was headed onto him, at what point is he declared “active” when the ball is kicked forward or deflected ?

Not until the second header

steve cooper

Not until the second header
Surely if the linesman deems a player offside at the point the ball is played forwards and raises his flag, he's offside irrespective if someone else gets a touch and subsequently plays it to him, now in an onside position

shmmeee

They were genuinely one of the filthiest sides Ive seen, especially first half, and were lucky not to have more than one sent off if proper punishments were given for the off the ball digs and the trying to con the referee. The way duffy faked injury after hitting Max was beyond a joke and every time the ref fell for it. The headbutt, a few of the following reactions, the foul on Grimmer, the offside against McNulty when through on goal, at best you can say the officials were shocking all round. A couple of the big decisions went against them (though I still think that goal was offside), but overall I’d say the vast majority of bad decisions in pure numbers went for them, and we still played them off the park for 70 mins. From the fourth going in to the final whistle was like the Globetrotters at points, we were just taking the piss.

They got lucky with their goal thanks to the pitch and we got lucky with the pen in the first leg, and both teams had some shocking decisions in the second, but in pure footballing terms the score line didn’t flatter us at all.

Mucca Mad Boys

The disallowed second goal for them was a shocker really - he wasn’t even level but behind Grimner.

Grimmer unfortunately was culpable for the goal and would have been for that as well.

Technically Biamou second goal was offside but that’s really fine margins and they had ample opportunity to deal with it.

Fair play to Biamou he had his best game by a long chalk so deserved the luck for that one.

If I was a county fan I’d be fuming at the decisions but a neutral would say the team deserved the win.

McNulty fantastic game - movement and awareness - bayliss the same and Shipley worked incredibly hard through the whole match

Grimmer is very suspect defensively, and for some reason, it goes under the radar.

Even for Biamou's goal, he was marginally offside when he got the ball on the wing, the rest was shocking defending, he had three defenders around him giving him all the time in the world to get his shot off his right foot. If anyone watched on Sky, Coleman's (Accrington Stanley manager) was saying they were dropping far too deep, for; McNulty's, Biamou's 2nd and Bayliss' goals, they were culpable for their own downfall. They can deflect all they want, but the heart of the issue is that they simply weren't good enough over the two legs.

I'd be frustrated if we were on the end of those poor decisions, but conceding 4 goals at home isn't good enough regardless of said decisions. If they want to move forward as a club, they need to identify where they went wrong to have dropped out of the automatic places (in the first place) and how they can improve in big games,

Mucca Mad Boys

They were genuinely one of the filthiest sides Ive seen, especially first half, and were lucky not to have more than one sent off if proper punishments were given for the off the ball digs and the trying to con the referee. The way duffy faked injury after hitting Max was beyond a joke and every time the ref fell for it. The headbutt, a few of the following reactions, the foul on Grimmer, the offside against McNulty when through on goal, at best you can say the officials were shocking all round. A couple of the big decisions went against them (though I still think that goal was offside), but overall I’d say the vast majority of bad decisions in pure numbers went for them, and we still played them off the park for 70 mins. From the fourth going in to the final whistle was like the Globetrotters at points, we were just taking the piss.

They got lucky with their goal thanks to the pitch and we got lucky with the pen in the first leg, and both teams had some shocking decisions in the second, but in pure footballing terms the score line didn’t flatter us at all.

The referee had a good game imo. The same cannot be said for his assistants...

shmmeee

The referee had a good game imo. The same cannot be said for his assistants...

I disagree. He copped out and fell for far too much. There was a period where it looked like it was seriously going to boil over and that only happens when a red has allowed it to get to that point IMO.

covcity4life

Where on the players body is the line drawn to show if they're offside or not ? When the ball was played each time, their bodies may have been ahead by centimetres but their feet were in line with the defenders.

And for the disallowed goal, Forte was not offside when the ball was played but a County player coming in from the side was. The Lino wouldn't have known who was going for the ball so was right to flag as he was in an active position.
Pretty sure feet were ahead

Johhny Blue

The disallowed second goal for them was a shocker really - he wasn’t even level but behind Grimner.

Grimmer unfortunately was culpable for the goal and would have been for that as well.

Technically Biamou second goal was offside but that’s really fine margins and they had ample opportunity to deal with it.

Fair play to Biamou he had his best game by a long chalk so deserved the luck for that one.

If I was a county fan I’d be fuming at the decisions but a neutral would say the team deserved the win.

McNulty fantastic game - movement and awareness - bayliss the same and Shipley worked incredibly hard through the whole match
You forgot to praise Burge for the save

Ibby

Great game and full of action and the ref to. Sky blues are marching on to Wembley :happy::happy::happy::happy:

chiefdave

To be honest I’m not sure of the offside rule anymore
A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent
  • A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.
A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

Happy_Martian

Just checking the coverage and on the disallowed goal, as I said earlier, there should be no argument that Forte was onside when the ball was flicked on but a County player to the Linos side was just off and as he moved to the ball, he should have been deemed active as he was in Burge's line of sight. Using the line on the pitch, you can see how advanced the County player at the top of the screen was of the last Cov defender. My verdict : Goal disallowed correctly.

upload_2018-5-18_23-49-0.png

Grendel

Just checking the coverage and on the disallowed goal, as I said earlier, there should be no argument that Forte was onside when the ball was flicked on but a County player to the Linos side was just off and as he moved to the ball, he should have been deemed active as he was in Burge's line of sight. Using the line on the pitch, you can see how advanced the County player at the top of the screen was of the last Cov defender. My verdict : Goal disallowed correctly.

View attachment 9632

No chance - the rule would never apply to him - the linesman flagged the goalscorer as offside

Mcbean

Just got back to Stratford - bouncing - what a night - feel good factor 11/10 - Fans were ace - not one muppet around me - brilliant singing - bout time we had a bit of ladyluck - Stead is a thug ! Cops were a bit overload at half time !

Otis

What a win, what a night...so proud of the team and the fans. Even Burge had a great game. It's the best I've seen us play in years, lovely football.
Thing is, even if we were now to lose against Exeter, you would really have to fancy our chances of going up as one of the top 3 automatic placed teams next season.

Today we would have beaten any team in this division and quite a few in League One too.

Ricketts

Brilliant night. Amazed their player didnt get a red card.

Listening to Radio Nottingham on the long way home, hilarious listening to Nolan and their players etc. Blaming the officials.

I don't think he can of watched the same gane as me. We dominated that game, apart from the first 10 minutes of the second half.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Well that was a pain in the ass journey back home. But great seeing City fans pass in the slow traffic, windows down, singing, hooting horns, one car even playing ‘go for it City’ which prompted me to just download it for myself :)

Such a great evening; thank god we didn’t screw it up!!

So many great performances tonight. Boys became men out on that pitch!

Sick Boy

Thing is, even if we were now to lose against Exeter, you would really have to fancy our chances of going up as one of the top 3 automatic placed teams next season.

Today we would have beaten any team in this division and quite a few in League One too.

I agree, we used the width of the pitch nicely and they couldn't cope. Could we keep McNulty though?

no_loyalty

Just got back from Nottingham, what a treaterous journey home but well worth it, to a man we were outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread