Match Thread Northampton Town Match Thread (1 Viewer)

Bugsy

I'm surprised Ann hasn't logged on yet to tell us we lost 2-1 and to get Robins to buck up his ideas.... PUSB

BornSlippySkyBlue

Jones was understandably tentative to take his man on but he was the only one who showed some movement and bravery to get on the ball. I know no one has had a full pre-season and he is young but I was disappointed with Reid.
Yeah, Reid got done a few times down that side of the pitch. He also loves to grab a handful of shirt. Was amazed he got away with some of them. But, first time he’s played there in the ‘first’ team, so hopefully he can kick on.

Bugsy

WestEndAgro

Well it tends to happen because we don't tend to take it remotely seriously. Still owe Aidy Boothroyd one for that memorable evening in Morecambe with a 16 year old JCH and Michael McIndoe in central midfield
I was there that night, it still makes me shudder

Londonccfcfan

Agree with a lot of that
I was surprised we made 10 changes tonight as I thought we wanted to have a bit of a cup run
Got to keep things in perspective as loads of other Championship sides have also gone out to teams from lower divisions
That 11 should have won this game at a canter!

Bugsy

Skyblue_CP

All tonight proved was, once Bright is fit he will be an asset, Allen has still got it, Jones isnt far away and Shipley and Reid are nowhere near good enough currently.

steve cooper

We are in good company.
Other Championship teams who lost to lower league teams
Blackburn 1 Morecambe 2
Peterboro 0 Plymouth 4
Championship teams who could only draw against lower league teams
Hull
Derby
Barnsley
Bristol C
Luton
QPR
Even Sutton United who famously knocked us out of the FA cup gave Cardiff a game and only lost by 1 goal.
That's cup games for you.

Reactions: PVA

Skybluefaz

No it pisses me off. It’s a competitive game. It’s not a friendly. If he wants a fitness match arrange a behind closed doors game. And it clearly rubs off on the players as well.

We should try and win every competitive game, we aren’t saving ourselves for the fucking Champions League.

Greatest moment in this clubs history is a cup game. These days we’d have gone out first round to save ourselves for the league and finish 17th.
OK, so we should let fans in for free then. Great idea.

COV

This!

Teams lose to weaker teams all the time. Doesn't mean they can't be arsed. Doesn't mean there's some ulterior motive. Doesn't mean they are all of a sudden shitter than the other team.

That's literally football. It's a game, there isn't a predetermined outcome based on ability of each team.

true, I also think though that if you paid the money to go and watch then you’ve got every right to vent about it

shmmeee

OK, so we should let fans in for free then. Great idea.

No we should try and win football matches because that’s the primary purpose of the business and what we charge admission for.

AFAIK we don’t charge to watch training or fitness games as is.

Skybluefaz

Not a lot of leadership in that team he fielded tonight. Probably required McFadzean but Robins was saying that Fadz has been feeling the pace a bit. It is what it is.

Reactions: vow

kg82

The Stanley chairman tweeted that there’s no prize money until the semi-finals. On the same thread it also says clubs only get 45% of gate money. There’s literally no point in that competition if all that’s true, especially for lower league clubs.

SBAndy

Not a lot of leadership in that team he fielded tonight. Probably required McFadzean but Robins was saying that Fadz has been feeling the pace a bit. It is what it is.

The fact that Fadz is getting old has hardly crept up on us, has it? If he’s feeling the pace after one game then maybe we need more CBs than I thought.

slowpoke

No one gives a toss about the league Cup anymore. Might as well call it the Reserves Cup as the majority of teams play a second string. Its good for blooding youth players and giving minutes to bench players, that's about it.
You are correct it’s a crap competition now didn’t use to be but we have the Man Citys and Chelseas of this world coming into the competition late then bang in their star men to get to Wembley for a bit of a jolly. Wembley half empty too I haven’t watched a league cup final for a ages
ive said for a while why not split the competition into the three EFL divisions and have three finals one for each division make it a bit more interesting.

Last edited:

Skybluefaz

The fact that Fadz is getting old has hardly crept up on us, has it? If he’s feeling the pace after one game then maybe we need more CBs than I thought.
Post match Robins said something about levels with Fadz. I don't know if this is a Covid-19 knock on or if he even had covid. For sure we need 2 more CB's in my opinion.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

That's what they saw in DaCosta maybe 😉😂

great shot, keeper equal to it
He is better at attacking than defending so why do we persist with him playong in the defense its a liability I would like to see him and Dabo on the Right with Dacosta further up like a RW/RM

ceetee

The morning after; a bit calmer.

I thought Allen had a very good first half but then faded into obscurity.

I thought Drysdale was OK. Yes, he missed a tackle which left the Northampton player open for the first goal, but you don't judge a performance on one poor error.

I thought we brought Reid in as a LWB but we seem to be playing him as LCB so I'm not judging him yet.

Shipley is frustrating as he is our only midfielder who consistently gets into scoring positions, and has scored goals, but he's clearly not progressed.

Someone said that Walker scored the only chance he was given, but there's not enough creativity in the team to give him chances. He's got to do more work himself.

I've not seen a lot of Pask but I can't see that he's a worse option than Dacosta, and is more versatile.

Jones and Bright need more game time before we judge them.

Hobo

Yes pre season was worried last season might have been his Indian summer. I think he will need game managing this year to get best out of him. It was why I was never keen on spending budget on an even older Cranie at CB.

PVA

He is better at attacking than defending so why do we persist with him playong in the defense its a liability I would like to see him and Dabo on the Right with Dacosta further up like a RW/RM

We don't play with a RM or RW though.

Dacosta is a bit of a liability but at the end of the day he's backup and we're on a shoestring budget relative to the rest of the league.

Users who are viewing this thread