Match Thread Northampton Town Match Thread (1 Viewer)

djr8369

The morning after; a bit calmer.

I thought Allen had a very good first half but then faded into obscurity.

I thought Drysdale was OK. Yes, he missed a tackle which left the Northampton player open for the first goal, but you don't judge a performance on one poor error.

I thought we brought Reid in as a LWB but we seem to be playing him as LCB so I'm not judging him yet.

Shipley is frustrating as he is our only midfielder who consistently gets into scoring positions, and has scored goals, but he's clearly not progressed.

Someone said that Walker scored the only chance he was given, but there's not enough creativity in the team to give him chances. He's got to do more work himself.

I've not seen a lot of Pask but I can't see that he's a worse option than Dacosta, and is more versatile.

Jones and Bright need more game time before we judge them.
On Drysdale, he went to for a header and the attacker nicked the ball away with his foot. A lot of the time the ref blows for a high foot in that situation. Admittedly Drysdale needed to react quicker and make sure he got a head to it and wasn’t close enough to him to start with.

PVA

The worst thing about Shipley's miss was not putting it over the bar, it's that he didn't square it to Walker for a simple tap in.

djr8369

Just thinking about MRs comments on waiting for loan signings. Think he said it’s out of his hands and if things don’t progress soon he needs to move onto a new target. Think he’s talking about the club agreeing a percentage wage contribution? Agents? Something else?

SlowerThanPlatt

Just thinking about MRs comments on waiting for loan signings. Think he said it’s out of his hands and if things don’t progress soon he needs to move onto a new target. Think he’s talking about the club agreeing a percentage wage contribution? Agents? Something else?

better days

Last night was an opportunity to look at some of the fringe players and give minutes to others needing to improve their fitness
I'd preferred us to have won the game too but if we get a decent result at the weekend it will soon be forgotten
Although I only listened to the game on CWR it sounds as though some the fringe players didn't make the most of the chance they were given
I suppose the one small positive is that it seems no one picked up an injury :censored:

Reactions: vow

Evo1883

To show you why Robins don't give a shit about it .

5k for winning last night
7k for winning the second round

FA CUP

3rd round winners £135,000

COV

FA CUP

If you paid the money to go watch then all criticism is valid, some of this stuff going on is bonkers though, and Biamou is being talked about more than some of the people who actually played last night which is weird

SBAndy

SBAndy

We’ll get fuck all for beating Barnsley at the weekend. Better send the kids.

I get where you’re coming from but stick a business head on for a minute - the prize money and ticket sales (which most could have guessed roughly) probably wouldn’t have been sufficient to cover players’ appearance bonuses, let alone win bonuses. Maybe there is a business case for not committing full resource to it, as the first 2-3 rounds will likely generate losses.

Football isn’t strictly business, I am aware, but it’s not implausible that these things are considered.

junglej13

On reflection and having heard Robins aftermatch interview (which I agreed with every word) - last night could be a blessing in disguise. Hopefully might serve as a reminder to the owners that he does need a little more backing before the end of the window.

better days

On reflection and having heard Robins aftermatch interview (which I agreed with every word) - last night could be a blessing in disguise. Hopefully might serve as a reminder to the owners that he does need a little more backing before the end of the window.
Good point there JungleJ

Greggs

FA CUP

ticket money? Big crowds if we'd have progressed?

shmmeee

I get where you’re coming from but stick a business head on for a minute - the prize money and ticket sales (which most could have guessed roughly) probably wouldn’t have been sufficient to cover players’ appearance bonuses, let alone win bonuses. Maybe there is a business case for not committing full resource to it, as the first 2-3 rounds will likely generate losses.

Football isn’t strictly business, I am aware, but it’s not implausible that these things are considered.

To stretch a point, we make zero money from away games. The Barnsley game at the weekend will generate a loss. But we play it because the tournament as a whole is worth it.

SlowerThanPlatt

I doubt it, the owners stance has been made clear over the years

Evo1883

ticket money? Big crowds if we'd have progressed?

look at the crowds for it round the country..

It's a slight step up from the checkatrade nobody cares about it apart from the prem clubs .

The FA CUP generates smaller clubs alot of money in comparison

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Well, that’s me reassured.

Christ.

giphy.gif

SBAndy

To stretch a point, we make zero money from away games. The Barnsley game at the weekend will generate a loss. But we play it because the tournament as a whole is worth it.

But if we stay in the league and get our prize/TV money of c.£7m then each game has been worth around £150k. If you make the 4th round of the Carabao Cup (which probably isn’t far from our ceiling in the competition) you make £47k in total. It’s appalling.

In terms of wanting to see us compete in matches, I’m of the same mindset. But let’s not pretend that it may well be in a club’s interests financially to throw as little resource as possible at the competition.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

We don't play with a RM or RW though.

Dacosta is a bit of a liability but at the end of the day he's backup and we're on a shoestring budget relative to the rest of the league.
No for if we fancy a system change if nothing is working he is not good enough to start

D

Deleted member 4439

I see Gruff has posted his review on YT, and I sense there is a theme developing here. The guy is a genius.

Last edited by a moderator:

ccfc1234

It's a real shame the team went out tonight. Cup runs ignite the fans imagination and there is no doubt the feel good factor for those who made the effort to attend will have been slightly dented by a frustrating night.

It's also money. We might need a quility loan in Jan from the premier league and will have no funds had we beaten Northampton and Wimbledon we could have drawn a top 10 prem team and that conservatively would have been worth upwards of 400k to the Club.
I see the case for resting McFaz but 10 changes was at least 4 too many.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

a championship team squad should be capable enough of winning this game

After watching the game last night shows we haven't got a Championship squad and we were playing Northampton's reserves.

Evo1883

After watching the game last night shows we haven't got a Championship squad and we were playing Northampton's reserves.

So I'm assuming that Luton and Bristol city don't have championship squads either .

OR

sometimes teams play shit

When Leeds lost to Crawley in the FA CUP last year did their fans say " We DoNt Have A PrEmiEr LeAgUe SqUaD "

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

So I'm assuming that Luton and Bristol city don't have championship squads either .

OR

sometimes teams play shit

When Leeds lost to Crawley in the FA CUP last year did their fans say " We DoNt Have A PrEmiEr LeAgUe SqUaD "

Some times, how many times have we been knocked out in the FIRST round of the League Cup?

Users who are viewing this thread