Match Thread Northampton Town Match Thread (4 Viewers)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Like last season , when we survived quite comfortably in the championship

Yes but I was talking about the league cup. Northampton made 8 changes to the team that played the previous Saturday.

Evo1883

Yes but I was talking about the league cup. Northampton made 8 changes to the team that played the previous Saturday.

And we made 10 .. what does losing in the league Cup have to do with the standard of your squad ? When shocks happen every year in every competition ? The answer is ....nothing

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

And we made 10 .. what does losing in the league Cup have to do with the standard of your squad ? When shocks happen every year in every competition ? The answer is ....nothing

Yeah which proves are squad, at the moment , is not good enough.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

The league is our bread and butter. The league cup is pretty much irrelevant to us. I shouldn’t have to explain such simple concepts

Tell that to 40k fans who would go to Wembley, if we ever get there.

Ccfcisparks

It's the chance of the away games against a beatable Man Utd yoof you're playing for, and we need every lottery win we can get our hands on.

Along with the confidence that winning breeds winning.
In Man Uniteds first round of the cup last year they played Luton 3-0. The 3 youth players that scored? Mata, Rashford and Greenwood. The perception that the big teams play beatable teams is false.

Paxman II

I would not worry too much over the result. I'd pay more attention to who did themselves no favour with their performance, and those who did OK.
Robins has said Allen, Rose, Walker and Jones had important minutes and did Ok. That means the likes of Shipley, DeCosta, and others are not at the races yet and some maybe in Robin's thoughts for shipping out. Their opportunity was there and they failed to take it or impress. It helps Robins in his decision making process. As for Waghorn we have to hive him some time to see how he adjust.

NorthernWisdom

In Man Uniteds first round of the cup last year they played Luton 3-0. The 3 youth players that scored? Mata, Rashford and Greenwood. The perception that the big teams play beatable teams is false.
They played a perfectly beatable side the last time we played them away! The likes of Chong lining up in 2019 v Rochdale was hardly their first choice either, and at *that* point Greenwood would have been an amoeba.

Evo1883

They played a perfectly beatable side the last time we played them away! The likes of Chong lining up in 2019 v Rochdale was hardly their first choice either, and at *that* point Greenwood would have been an amoeba.
It was 14 years ago , and on paper should still have beat us

Their team

Kuszczak, Bardsley (Brown 45), Evans (Carrick 56), Pique, Simpson, Nani, Martin (Campbell 45), O'Shea, Eagles, Dong, Anderson.

procdoc

It was 14 years ago , and on paper should still have beat us

Their team

Kuszczak, Bardsley (Brown 45), Evans (Carrick 56), Pique, Simpson, Nani, Martin (Campbell 45), O'Shea, Eagles, Dong, Anderson.
the league cup arguably meant more over a decade ago as well. Didn’t Pique get mugged off by Mifsud haha

hill83

Forest half time

1628782404132.gif

Forest full time

giphy.gif

Northampton half time

giphy.gif

Northampton full time

1628782467462.gif

NorthernWisdom

Harwood-Bellis, Doyle for Man City, Elliott for Liverpool, they're not exactly the top drawer first teamers, and that's the point. It makes clubs perfectly beatable on the right day, as opposed to having no chance whatsoever.

It'd be like Northampton saying that because we fielded a team including Walker, Allen, Shipley, Wilson that it's a famous scalp against our first team, and not taking into account the fact we've also played an academy kid in the centre of midfield, and suggesting if he goes on to be a world star, that he was just like that when we played them!

Just about no team takes it seriously early on, it's all about fitness and run-outs to squad players. Now, personally I'd go for the run in it as it's the tournament you have the best chance to sneak through to a halfway decent stage with some halfway decent payouts away from home - Burton Albion in the semi-finals ffs! but it can't on the one hand be a competition that nobody takes seriously... but also a competition that the big clubs go all out to win the early games.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
The biggest thing i take away from last nights performance is the lack of depth in the squad. Not sure i could put a case forward for any of the starting 11 last night to be in the starting 11 for Saturday.

Poor passing, even poorer defending, bad decision making, lack of intensity, no real invention or guile. There was one plan really, funnel the ball out wide and then pass it down the line....... then run out of ideas. We were never going to win aimless crosses in to the box, we dont have a big target man, we dont have anyone who crosses a decent ball and set pieces were not good. The second string is a long way off at the moment.

On last nights performance Bright is no where near ready for the Championship. step overs might look good but whats the purpose?
DaCosta at least looked interested and got better as game progressed but was starting from a poor first half
Drysdale is a goal against waiting to happen
Allen did well first 30 then got lost to the game
Jones had flashes but ran up cul de sacs
Shipley had good moments and then immediately had a bad one to compensate
the rest didnt influence the game in any great way or look comfortable in what they were doing

The worrying thing was that Northampton had 3 very good chances in the first half (largely created by the central defenders in particular), had they put those away then we would have been out of it after 45 minutes to a L2 side. They deserved their win

Sunday to Wednesday chalk & cheese

better days

We thought our reserve team's defending was bad for Northampton's 2nd goal but Arsenal's was even worse against Brentford tonight for their 2nd

Users who are viewing this thread