New Stadium Announcement!!!!!! (4 Viewers)

Otis

Because it might turn out to be some combo of soulless, inaccessible or unsustainable. Not that we'd ever do that with a new stadium project of course.
Why do we think this would be less of a soulless bowl than the Ricoh, should it ever happen?

Quite likely to be yet another, I should think.

Last edited:

Darth Robins

this is atletico madrids staduim 30 million euros

hqdefault.jpg

You dropped a number somewhere, it was 310m!

SBT

Why do we think this would be less of a soulless bowl than the Ricoh, should it ever happen?

Quite likely to be I should think.

I would hope they would do a better job with the stadium design and surrounding infrastructure than the Ricoh, but plenty of clubs botch this kind of thing, and our track record isn't exactly sparkling in this department. I'm just surprised everyone's so bullish on such an early stage announcement, when we've literally been through all this less than 20 years ago. Shame we can't dig up old threads from the first ever Arena 2000 announcements!

ajsccfc

The long term aim for parking on campus is to move it more peripheral which would match up neatly to where I suspect they'd be looking

fVDkI36.png

Skyblueweeman

Wow...didn't see this coming. Very sceptical at the moment but it certainly does put pressure on CCC and Wasps.

Whilst (if true) this is a massive long term positive for the club, it would likely open us up to some more short term issues. I can't see Wasps going out of their way to give us decent rates for 5 yrs.

Nick

Administrator
not only are we getting a new stadium but if we can entice a few boffins off campus to go to games we could have the most intellectual support in the league.

If a lot of the students are Chinese, we could have a "Chinese supporter's group" as well. If they go back after their studies.

samccov1987

Trying not to get too excited by this but can see massive benefits for us and Warwick Uni.

Initial thoughts were £30m is low but then the land is ripe for building and transport infrastructure plans already muted (A45/46 relief road; kings hill station plus canley holt walkable). Newer module stadiums far cheaper than a bowl too. Concourses may be smaller than Ricoh but knocking up Retail units round the ground for pubs and cafes could make up for F&B by taking rental.

Really positive news

ms639

but what would that end game be? What happens after 5 years when we're still outside of Cov?
Surely they'd be better cutting their losses now and giving hoffman a call?

I don't follow, what are you asking here? If I've interpreted your question right, I don't think there is an end game right now. I think this is very short term-ist, ultimately we can't negotiate a deal in the short term and this is just bait to give a view that there is a long term strategy. If the statement came out and said planning permission had been approved, contractors had been sourced or atleast if a contract had been signed on the land I'd buy into the theory that this is a genuine long term goal. As I said in my OP though this is just a 'best endeavors' activity IMO and I think if you look beyond the headlines, there really isn't much to it

SkyBlueDom26

Think a 0 has been missed for the Athletico stadium, there is no way that costs less than the 70 mill Brentford one lol

Evo1883

Well I suppose an apology is due to the guy who made the thread about this.. Delighted to say sorry too if its all go

Paul Anthony

Don't want to piss on everyone's parade but really can't help but feel this is a smokescreen. Dangling this in front of us because we can't negotiate a deal to play at the ricoh next season. They're looking at this taking 5 years and with so much to be negotiated, there are so many easy ways out. Basically what has happened today is 2 entities have sat down and agreed they are going to look into something which may or may not come to fruition. I can't tell you how many meetings I've sat in with large organisations and salespeople have claimed their deal is the next big thing and then nothing happens.

Would love to believe there is a clear route forward with this but I'm highly skeptical

Of course I remain somewhat skeptical until ground has been broken. But, unlike previous occasions when we've had Fisher on the radio or in the media throwing out tidbits with no specifics to provide any actual evidence, the University have already put their their name to this to give it some credence. That, at least, must be a hopeful and positive sign.

Seamus1

If it does go ahead (I’m still rather sceptical to be honest), to me the most encouraging part of the press release was stating that “The Club” will own operate and be responsible for all operations, whilst also receiving all revenue.

Corrado

I really don't see traffic being an issue - Perfect for Park and Ride from the Memorial Park. Walking access from Kenilworth and through the Shrubberies. It would be an ideal site

Orca

clint van damme

I don't follow, what are you asking here? If I've interpreted your question right, I don't think there is an end game right now. I think this is very short term-ist, ultimately we can't negotiate a deal in the short term and this is just bait to give a view that there is a long term strategy. If the statement came out and said planning permission had been approved, contractors had been sourced or atleast if a contract had been signed on the land I'd buy into the theory that this is a genuine long term goal. As I said in my OP though this is just a 'best endeavors' activity IMO and I think if you look beyond the headlines, there really isn't much to it

i just don't see what's in it for them using this strategy though now we're in the Championship. If this is as good as it's going to get why not sell now? It's not going to pull that many people to St.Andrews surely? And even if it does this season people will expect to see a bit more meat on the bones of this plan in the next year or two or they'll become disillusioned.

As said previously, the fact the Uni have also issued the joint statement gives me a lot more confidence than if it had been a sisu only announcement.

Users who are viewing this thread