New Stadium Announcement!!!!!! (4 Viewers)

clint van damme

I understand the scepticism, it would be mad not to be, but I think Nick is right, the fact it's a joint announcement lends it some credibility.
Playing at the Ricoh next season will give it a bit more as it won't bee seen as a ploy to get people to St.Andrews.

Ring Of Steel

Wimbledon AFC’s new home is designed by The KSS Group, the company behind Brighton’s Amex stadium and the Al Rayyan arena, which will host games at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

When opened it will have a capacity of 9,000 – this can be expanded to 20,000 at an estimated cost of between £25 million and £30 million – largely by filling in the two corners opposite the West Stand.

There will also be retail space, a squash and fitness club, car and cycle parking as well as more than 600 new homes.

The first 114 homes on land opposite the stadium are expected to be completed by 2021.

Is Wimbledon's modular?

Paul Anthony

Let's hope this comes to fruition. The fact that the University have already put their name to it is encouraging.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Let’s not get too carried away yet, but if they come through with this then fair fucks

Is this Dom casting a critical eye over an announcement? Coupled with me agreeing with Grendel I've a feeling today is going to be a really weird day...

kg82

anyone know other clubs that have their stadium built for 30 million and what they look like and size?
From the newer ones there’s not much to go on. Brentford’s cost £71m. Shrewsbury’s cost about £11m... but we’d be aiming for better than that. Luton’s is hard to find. But I think theirs is a whole complex with lots of other things going on there. Not sure how much the stadium was but there’s an article that says the whole thing cost around £200m.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

this is atletico madrids staduim 30 million euros

hqdefault.jpg

Seems quite pricey for a picture!

Nick

Administrator
I understand the scepticism, it would be mad not to be, but I think Nick is right, the fact it's a joint announcement lends it some credibility.
Playing at the Ricoh next season will give it a bit more as it won't bee seen as a ploy to get people to St.Andrews.

That's what makes it a bit more promising than the previous announcements. Do I deep down think there will be a stadium there in 5 years? Not until some planning is put in and bricks are laid.

However the fact that Warwick Uni are involved who will politically be a massive force, it makes me believe it more than the random crap put out in the past.

pastythegreat

Thought the same, only about a 3km walk from me in Chapelfields.
Who was it the other day saying they're moving to New Arley from Tile Hill? I bet they're regretting that move in more ways than one now

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Ring Of Steel

From the newer ones there’s not much to go on. Brentford’s cost £71m. Shrewsbury’s cost about £11m... but we’d be aiming for better than that. Luton’s is hard to find. But I think theirs is a whole complex with lots of other things going on there. Not sure how much the stadium was but there’s an article that says the whole thing cost around £200m.

You can't compare any of these if they weren't built the same way

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Bet theres a few CCC councillors squirming this morning, Not to mention a few Wasps investors.
Lets face it, the Ricoh naming rights will be a lot cheaper without a Championship club in residence.

But stadium is five years or more away. So plenty of time to get a deal for that long with us in residence, esp considering it hasn't had a sponsor for a couple of years now.

SkyBlueDom26

Is this Dom casting a critical eye over an announcement? Coupled with me agreeing with Grendel I've a feeling today is going to be a really weird day...
Not at all but until the exact location is announced I won’t get massively excited! Will be very funny to see wasps go bust and then the Ricoh will be empty

Liquid Gold

Chesterfield's stadium at 10,500 capacity cost them £13m. I don't think £30m is unrealistic providing the plans are in place for expansion already. Modular also just means steel framework instead of concrete. A lot of good stadiums being built this way, will not be like Gilllingham's away end.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I would challenge the £30m cost for a 20k Seater stadium. The £30m has been made up by Cov Observer
I could easily be wrong, but aren't a lot of costs for stadiums (AFC Wimbledon especially given its London land) associated with the cost of buying land? And this sounds like the land is being supplied as UoW will benefit from infrastructure and revenue streams going forward.

SBT

If it actually happens, why would somebody not feel positive about it?

Because it might turn out to be some combo of soulless, inaccessible or unsustainable. Not that we'd ever do that with a new stadium project of course.

ms639

Don't want to piss on everyone's parade but really can't help but feel this is a smokescreen. Dangling this in front of us because we can't negotiate a deal to play at the ricoh next season. They're looking at this taking 5 years and with so much to be negotiated, there are so many easy ways out. Basically what has happened today is 2 entities have sat down and agreed they are going to look into something which may or may not come to fruition. I can't tell you how many meetings I've sat in with large organisations and salespeople have claimed their deal is the next big thing and then nothing happens.

Would love to believe there is a clear route forward with this but I'm highly skeptical

Nick

Administrator
Because it might turn out to be some combo of soulless, inaccessible or unsustainable. Not that we'd ever do that with a new stadium project of course.

Better than St Andrews and more than likely the Ricoh as well.

Nick

Administrator
Don't want to piss on everyone's parade but really can't help but feel this is a smokescreen. Dangling this in front of us because we can't negotiate a deal to play at the ricoh next season. They're looking at this taking 5 years and with so much to be negotiated, there are so many easy ways out. Basically what has happened today is 2 entities have sat down and agreed they are going to look into something which may or may not come to fruition. I can't tell you how many meetings I've sat in with large organisations and salespeople have claimed their deal is the next big thing and then nothing happens.

Would love to believe there is a clear route forward with this but I'm highly skeptical

Think it would be silly NOT to be skeptical until there's progression and I guess people are more excited by the fact Warwick Uni have also put their name to it rather than just Fisher on Talksport.

clint van damme

but what would that end game be? What happens after 5 years when we're still outside of Cov?
Surely they'd be better cutting their losses now and giving hoffman a call?

ajsccfc

Traffic getting home can be an absolute arse most evenings but if it's followed three points in a stadium we own I'll live with it.

Users who are viewing this thread