New Dr Who (1 Viewer)

Otis

They've changed the writers now, but I don't think you're going to be in luck on the moralising score.
Don't mind it if it's done with a bit of Doctor flamboyance, but this was just dull.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Dr Who started in 1963 as a Science Fiction Drama - Now in 2017 its changed to a Period Drama!

Houchens Head

How long before Dr Who demands maternity leave?
Have they thought of that one?

Otis

Now for me, that was much, much, much better this week.

Better storyline, Jodie Whittaker more rounded and totally selling the Doctor vibe and Bradley Walsh coming to life too. Thought last week he was too stiff and wooden.

Really enjoyed tonight's episode and totally accept a woman Doctor without reservation.

Houchens Head

Bradley Walsh? I didn't know he was in it. I like him on that quiz thing (can't remember the name), and I heard he is a pretty good actor as well.

Otis

Yeah, a proper episode this week. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to more now.
Exactly. Some of the papers have picked up on that too and called it a 'proper episode'.

Last week was a bit clunky. This had all the key elements of a classic Doctor Who episode.

Captain Dart

Yeah, a proper episode this week. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to more now.

There is a good longer story building about the new baddies & Jodie W delivers a far better character than Capaldi. However the constant woke/gender agenda is spoiling it a tad, did you notice they couldn't help themselves and had to make the female contestant gay, just one reference but it was there. Next week its a black rights thingy..

Grendel

Its just a walking advert for perceived political correctness and liberalism - embarrassing really

dutchman

Its just a walking advert for perceived political correctness and liberalism - embarrassing really
I heard that the remake of "Charmed" is even worse in that respect, although I can't imagine many people here wanting to watch it.

There's also a politically correct version of "Roseanne" coming, minus Ms Barr herself.

Captain Dart

It has always bugged me that historical dramas often assign modern attitudes to

I watch 'Murdoch Mysterys' on Drama, a Canadian program about a turn of the last Century Detective, bubblegum stuff really but they are forever giving the characters modern attitudes that might even have been considered some way from the mainstream even in the 1970's. Though it's not as it this hasn't always happened, most writers are a bit left wing & preachy.

tommydazzle

I have it on good authority that the next Dr Who will have 24 assistants to reflect gender and ethnic diversity and the Daleks will be defeated by the anger management counselling.

chiefdave

There's also a politically correct version of "Roseanne" coming, minus Ms Barr herself.
Starts tonight in the States and the reviews have been good. It follows on from the last series so presumably Roseanne herself is being killed off in it.

Otis

I have it on good authority that the next Dr Who will have 24 assistants to reflect gender and ethnic diversity and the Daleks will be defeated by the anger management counselling.
I fully expect the Daleks to be chicks with dicks the next time we see them.

olderskyblue

Starts tonight in the States and the reviews have been good. It follows on from the last series so presumably Roseanne herself is being killed off in it.

Wasn't Dan killed off in the last one?

Must admit, I liked it. Be interesting to see how it develops.

chiefdave

Wasn't Dan killed off in the last one?
In the last series of the original run, which was batshit crazy, Dan wasn't around much (as John Goodman was filming the Big Lebowski). In the last episode the whole show was revealed to be Roseanne reading a book based on her life but she'd changed the bits she didn't like and Dan had actually died years ago.

When it came back last year they basically ignored the final series ever happening apart from Dan asking why everyone thinks he's dead. I liked the last series, didn't seem like the weird far right show its been made out to be. If anything it portrayed people who voted for Trump as not knowing what they were really voting for.

olderskyblue

In the last series of the original run, which was batshit crazy, Dan wasn't around much (as John Goodman was filming the Big Lebowski). In the last episode the whole show was revealed to be Roseanne reading a book based on her life but she'd changed the bits she didn't like and Dan had actually died years ago.

When it came back last year they basically ignored the final series ever happening apart from Dan asking why everyone thinks he's dead. I liked the last series, didn't seem like the weird far right show its been made out to be. If anything it portrayed people who voted for Trump as not knowing what they were really voting for.

You see, I missed completely that they had already had another series (or just forgotten, happening more these days :() Thanks for the update

dutchman

It has always bugged me that historical dramas often assign modern attitudes to

I watch 'Murdoch Mysterys' on Drama, a Canadian program about a turn of the last Century Detective, bubblegum stuff really but they are forever giving the characters modern attitudes that might even have been considered some way from the mainstream even in the 1970's. Though it's not as it this hasn't always happened, most writers are a bit left wing & preachy.

The same is true of stories set in the future. They always exhibit present day attitudes even though these have only been around for a few decades at most and are unlikely to survive a hundred years in the future.

You can also tell which decade a show was made in from the make-up the actresses are wearing, once noticed it can never be ignored.

Otis

Great topic last night, that of the Rosa Parks story, but did find it a bit clunky and preachy.

Shame.

At least it might be an education for some young uns. I bet my daughter has no idea who Rosa Parks is or what she did.

tommydazzle

Great topic last night, that of the Rosa Parks story, but did find it a bit clunky and preachy.

Shame.

At least it might be an education for some young uns. I bet my daughter has no idea who Rosa Parks is or what she did.
Yup, did feel a bit like a lecture. That trumpety music was very clunky - that music which always gets used on American military hero misty eyed scenes. Gets on my nerves. Liked the Banksy joke.

Otis

Yup, did feel a bit like a lecture. That trumpety music was very clunky - that music which always gets used on American military hero misty eyed scenes. Gets on my nerves. Liked the Banksy joke.
Yeah, agree on both counts.

Hated the patriotic music and they could have told the same story without having to resort to stop and search references in current times, or at least been a bit more subtle about it.

I did like the notion of it being the Doctor and companions who enabled the incident to take place by filling up the seats on the bus.

Didn't care for the baddie much. Found him dull and non-threatening.

Only really liking Bradley Walsh out of the three companions. Find the other two both weak and I do hope they didn't just resort to 'let's have one Asian girl and one black man on the show'.

tommydazzle

Yes think the baddie was just inserted to maintain some sci-fi content but felt clumsy. Think Jodie Whittaker is great except she never returns my phone calls.

dutchman

Ten years ago maybe?

377008.1.jpg

Liquid Gold

I think we might be seeing more of the baddy although thought he was rubbish. It's a good story to visit and I actually enjoyed the episode but it takes away the drama at the end when they're trying to set it up wether she sits down or not and you know full well she stays put.

chiefdave

So after Chris Chibnall did his best to destroy the show and appears to have had a jump before you're pushed moment there was lots of talk of who would takeover as show runner.

A name virtually nobody mentioned was Russell T Davies who of course was the person who brought it back to the screen and has had huge success since leaving. Production is also moving to Bad Wolf Studios, who make His Dark Materials among other things, which is the company that was formed by Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter when they left the BBC & Doctor Who. There's been strong rumours for months from 'in the knows' that David Tennant is coming back, todays news doesn't do much to make that seem less likely.

Liquid Gold

Might actually improve it.

I feel bad for Jodie Whittaker, thought she was alright but the writing was absolute rubbish.

torchomatic

Haven't watched it really since Matt Smith. Find it a bit rubbish nowadays.

JAM See

New Dr Who

Jamie Allen. He's fucking everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread