New Dr Who (1 Viewer)

SkyblueBazza

Yeah, get your point, but I specifically watched this show last night BECAUSE Jodie Whittaker was in it and I liked her in Broadchurch and in Attack the Block.

Sometimes you can just watch an actor in anything and everything they do because you like their style of acting. I have always been the same.

All old actors, but I could watch anything with Cary Grant in and also James Stewart and Humphrey Bogart. Same too with Al Pacino and nowadays, Amy Adams and Kevin Spacey and Idris Elba.
Yep I get that SOME really do stand out...like those you mention...and Jack Nicholson is another...simply that fact they are it the movie makes you think the movie is going to be watchable I guess.
Maybe I am being especially TV show specific. The run of the mill ones I think are just 'them' & a different script. Compare someone like Richard Beckinsale who was lauded - but to me always seemed to be Richard Beckinsale in different situations...with Ronnie Barker who played Fletcher alongside RB & then Arkwright in Open all Hours. Totally different - that's a class actor imo. Then again it is the same in movies Dustin Hoffman...Rainman to Meet the Fokkers...& others too. But then Anna Friel...has she undergone massive personality, voice, demeanour transformations ( as horny as I find her)?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Otis

Yep I get that SOME really do stand out...like those you mention...and Jack Nicholson is another...simply that fact they are it the movie makes you think the movie is going to be watchable I guess.
Maybe I am being especially TV show specific. The run of the mill ones I think are just 'them' & a different script. Compare someone like Richard Beckinsale who was lauded - but to me always seemed to be Richard Beckinsale in different situations...with Ronnie Barker who played Fletcher alongside RB & then Arkwright in Open all Hours. Totally different - that's a class actor imo. Then again it is the same in movies Dustin Hoffman...Rainman to Meet the Fokkers...& others too. But then Anna Friel...has she undergone massive personality, voice, demeanour transformations ( as horny as I find her)?

Yeah, Anna Friel is another one I always like to watch.

Richard Beckinsale was indeed Richard Beckinsale, but I always warmed to him and first remember him from The Lovers, with Paula Wilcox, so for me he was in three programmes I all liked, obviously the other two being Rising Damp and Porridge.

Just saying if Jodie Whittaker hadn't have been in this Trust Me it probably wouldn't have pricked my interest.

Captain Dart

I am no film/tv buff - but I know people who seem 'affected' at all this kind of thing. They ask me if I am going to see film A...'no...should I?' Well yes they indicate - because actor B is in it...'who is he/she?' Oh come on, you must've seen film C...he/she was in that...'erm...no not seen it'

Does the actors in a film/program or show REALLY reliably reflect on how good or bad something will be? I tend to look at the theme or plot more than anything else, then watch or not, & enjoy or not.
Keep it simple because the eis so much good/bad shit out there it is impossible to keep up. There was a time so.ebody would recommend stuff - I would watch & be disappointed.
All about personal taste & opinion.

Let the Dr be...enjoy or or don't watch it & whichever the case just get on with it

Sort of, I avoid anything with Tom Cruise or Meryl Streep in it.

Otis

Sort of, I avoid anything with Tom Cruise or Meryl Streep in it.

Both great actors though. Not particularly drawn to their movies, but you usually get a top notch performance from them. Cruise has become a bit samey and stale though lately I would say.

Grendel

4 parts.

It's moving at quite a pace isn't it!! I really liked it, but it is all rather fantastical. Somehow the film makers made it look quite gripping.

Whittaker is very good in it though.

Anyone else watch this propostorous nonsense until the end?

vow

I avoid anything with Tom Cruise
OMG, Top gun!*

C'mon Capt. you gotta love that homo-erotica?!?!

*(as a side, I actually do like the movie for it's bromance between Goose and Maverick)

Otis

Anyone else watch this propostorous nonsense until the end?
Yep.
Should have all been tied up and done and dusted in two episodes. As soon as she revealed she wasn't a doctor it should have been wrapped up.

I only carried on watching because of Jodie Whittaker to be honest.

Captain Dart

OMG, Top gun!*

C'mon Capt. you gotta love that homo-erotica?!?!

*(as a side, I actually do like the movie for it's bromance between Goose and Maverick)

Never watched it. FACT.

Otis

Anyone else watch it?

I was less than impressed. Just thought it was okay and that's coming from a Doctor Who fan, someone who was fine with the female switch and a great admirer of Jodie Whittaker.

It was midly enjoyable, but just lacked that zip for me.

Lots of plaudits abound for Whittaker's performance though. I didn't think it was her best, but......

Independent: 'Whittaker delivers blockbuster performance'.

Daily Telegraph: 'Jodie Whittaker is a delight'.

Indie wire: 'Jodie Whittaker is remarkable'.

iNews: 'Jodie Whittaker made a triumphant debut as the new Doctor'.

Guardian: 'Great Jodie Whittaker debut'.

'Doctor Who': Jodie Whittaker Receives Overwhelming Praise as First Female Star

Covstu

Never been a fan and that’s strange as I love sci fi. Never watched any Dr Who to be honest

Corrado

Got chatting to Jodie a couple of weeks ago, about our kids whilst at a park in London. Didn't realise it was her till I got up and walked away.

Very down to earth - Nice lady.

Otis

Got chatting to Jodie a couple of weeks ago, about our kids whilst at a park in London. Didn't realise it was her till I got up and walked away.

Very down to earth - Nice lady.
Lucky you.

Yeah, saw an interview on the Beeb last week and she says she has no problems with any of the general public going up and talking to her at all.

They were saying on the Beeb what a nice person she is.

Liquid Gold

Always difficult to tell with a new doctor and new show runner. Hopefully it picks up more humour as the weeks go on as it was a bit tragic at times. Thought she was very good though.

chiefdave

An incredible 8.2m on the overnights. When its tapechecked (there was a 5 minute overrun) and timeshift figures are added in likely to be over 10m. A timeshift of 2.6m or more will make it the highest ever rating for a regular episode of the new series.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Whatever next? Will there be a female 007? Jane Bond perhaps? Or how about Indiana Joan and the Temple of Gloom? A remake lesbian version of 'Butch' Cassidy and the Sundance Girl? A remake of the Godfather - Helen Mirren as the Godmother?

Otis

Whatever next? Will there be a female 007? Jane Bond perhaps? Or how about Indiana Joan and the Temple of Gloom? A remake lesbian version of 'Butch' Cassidy and the Sundance Girl? A remake of the Godfather - Helen Mirren as the Godmother?
They confirmed yesterday that there would never, ever be a female James Bond.

We might end up with a Jessie James though.

tommydazzle

Love sci-fi (although not Star Wars) and always retain an affection for Dr Who from being scared stiff as a kid and being introduced to imaginative ideas.

Didn't like a lot of the Capaldi stuff as the writers seemed to be up themselves with smug convoluted plots and had lost the knack of telling a good story. Always dislike Dr Who plots that are resolved purely by a piece of tech which unfortunately was what happened with this new writer - lazy writing equivalent to 'I woke up and it was all a dream.' Don't give two hoots that the Doctor has two hearts and a vagina.

tommydazzle

Out here in rural Norfolk where we don't see any folk from ethnic minorities and consequently most of the locals are often throwbacks to the seventies, a mate of mine told me he couldn't watch Dr Who as it had got too tick box PC. He said he wouldn't be surprised if they had a Muslim, a black and a disabled assistant in this latest show.

Can't wait to see his face!

Otis

Out here in rural Norfolk where we don't see any folk from ethnic minorities and consequently most of the locals are often throwbacks to the seventies, a mate of mine told me he couldn't watch Dr Who as it had got too tick box PC. He said he wouldn't be surprised if they had a Muslim, a black and a disabled assistant in this latest show.

Can't wait to see his face!
Bradley Walsh is a Muslim?

Otis

Love sci-fi (although not Star Wars) and always retain an affection for Dr Who from being scared stiff as a kid and being introduced to imaginative ideas.

Didn't like a lot of the Capaldi stuff as the writers seemed to be up themselves with smug convoluted plots and had lost the knack of telling a good story. Always dislike Dr Who plots that are resolved purely by a piece of tech which unfortunately was what happened with this new writer - lazy writing equivalent to 'I woke up and it was all a dream.' Don't give two hoots that the Doctor has two hearts and a vagina.
Yeah, I didn't like the plot much and also agree on Peter Capaldi, where I think it got to be too speechy and preachy.

I really liked Tennant and Matt Smith.

Guess with this new series it is going to be all about the writing.

Last edited:

tommydazzle

Yup. Got to be some real jeopardy and frights. Sometimes it gets a bit American with feisty fearless assistants completely unfazed by the alien encounters. Kids love to see fear ( just watch Dr Who at the Proms to see the look of terror on the kids' faces when the Daleks or those vamp women make an entrance) - it makes it more real otherwise it's too safe. Loved Tennant, Smith and Ecclestone.

Otis

Yup. Got to be some real jeopardy and frights. Sometimes it gets a bit American with feisty fearless assistants completely unfazed by the alien encounters. Kids love to see fear ( just watch Dr Who at the Proms to see the look of terror on the kids' faces when the Daleks or those vamp women make an entrance) - it makes it more real otherwise it's too safe. Loved Tennant, Smith and Ecclestone.
On the whole I would say I liked the Mark Gatiss written episodes the best rather than the Russell T Davies and Stephen Moffatt ones.

tommydazzle

It's a shame they don't throw open Dr Who to all script writers rather than stick to commissioning from established writers. There must be some real talent out there. Ahem, in fact, I have one myself wot I wrote.........

Otis

It's a shame they don't throw open Dr Who to all script writers rather than stick to commissioning from established writers. There must be some real talent out there. Ahem, in fact, I have one myself wot I wrote.........
Thanks, Little Ern.

Johnnythespider

I thought it was an improvement on the Capaldi series, i liked the writing to be honest and felt it got back to basics with a nod to the predator films. I definitely warmed to the new Dr in ways i never did with Capaldi, I'm not sure why, i just can't put my finger on it

Otis

I thought it was an improvement on the Capaldi series, i liked the writing to be honest and felt it got back to basics with a nod to the predator films. I definitely warmed to the new Dr in ways i never did with Capaldi, I'm not sure why, i just can't put my finger on it
Weird isn't it. I am a big Jodie Whittaker fan, but didn't quite warm to her as the Doctor.

Just felt the story was a little generic and predictable. Not bad, but not great. Just okay.

dutchman

It looks a bit kinky to me?

gallery-1538990329-doctor-who-2.jpg

Otis

I like her as the doctor. I’ll start watching it again now. Couldn’t stand the last one which was the first time since the reboot.
I really liked him at first, but then it just started to become elongated speeches about morals and right and wrong.

Became a bit dull at the end.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
It is only fair that Dr Who will now be played by a woman.
No role is now exclusively for males or females or for whites or blacks - I mean for most of the last 15 years two big black brothers have dominated the Wimbledon ladies tournament.

Captain Dart

I really liked him at first, but then it just started to become elongated speeches about morals and right and wrong.

Became a bit dull at the end.

They've changed the writers now, but I don't think you're going to be in luck on the moralising score.

Users who are viewing this thread