New David Conn article (2 Viewers)

ashbyjan

I enjoyed watching Strictly Come Dancing more than watching City recently - it has been dire and turgid in the extreme

Nick

Administrator
Who should we be fighting? Encouraging a boycott of Wasps would benefit CCFC how? Encouraging a boycott of council taxes? Encourage a boycott of donations to Higgs? Encourage a boycott of CT? Maybe we are not "fighting" anyone because there is no one left to fight - the world has moved on. In my opinion we should be getting the best possible deal for CCFC and its fans from Wasps by negotiating a long term deal.

What sort of deal though? Have wasps said what they can offer?

Not so much who should we be fighting, the question should be "who should we be endorsing?"

The issue with that is, you have people coming on and justifying Wasps moving and what they have said about not being able to survive renting, they need 365 income but then go on to say we need to agree a rental deal at the Ricoh?

Grendel

I enjoyed watching Strictly Come Dancing more than watching City recently - it has been dire and turgid in the extreme

I think if you seriously enjoyed the spectacle on Sunday more than the team you support you are in the wrong place.

For the record I've been offered numerous "opportunities" of corporate hospitality at games - including champions league semis at old Trafford and the Emirates. There was one occasion when we played at the same time (Blackpool I think) so I rejected it as that would always be the better option as would the "turgid" display against fleet wood - any time and every time.

Get a grip for Christs sake.

chiefdave

There is no massaging of egos going on - Wasps are here and going to stay. Do I like the fact that Coventry City don't own the Ricoh - of course not but that is not Wasps fault that is the fault of SISU who decided on a particular strategy of distressing ACL to try and get the Ricoh for next to nothing.

That first line sums up to me everything that is wrong with the trust. SISU didn't sell the Ricoh to a franchise rugby team from London, CCC & Higgs did yet there is no mention of them or any blame apportioned to them

I openly asked the club to bid for the Higgs 50% but they couldnt even manage that without caveats and strings attached so Higgs didn't even have to think about who to sell to.

These caveats and string were projects to be more involved in the community, are the Trust now against that as well? Oddly until the SISU bid this was supposed to be one of the aims, if not the main aim, of Higgs.

Wasps are our new landlords and I (along with 73% of those who responded to the survey) do not believe that the new stadium will be built

A survey done before CCC and Higgs sold our stadium to Wasps on the cheap, something 72% were against. What % of trust members were in favour of our stadium being sold on the cheap to Wasps, can't see a figure for that.

Better comments to David Conn would have been how the atmosphere at the Gillingham game was far better than Wasps as it was a team from our city. Or to say that both you and the Trust are totally against moving teams around the country on a whim.

CCFC_Charlie

Well the fact that so many Coventry City fans are going to Wasps games and talking about how great it all is because Wasps are good stinks of hypocrisy seeing how we were campaigning over our move a year ago. We're as much at home at the Ricoh now as Wasps were at Adams Park. I assume there would now be no objection of a move out of Coventry if it meant owning our own stadium because that's apparently fine now?

torchomatic

You tell me. You want people to pay into your FIGHTING fund.

Let's be honest the only thing the Trust have ever "encouraged" is blaming SISU 100% for everything. And you're still doing it despite the behaviour of ACL/CCC.

ANd yes, if we are staying we should get a good deal. Yet you only write an open letter to Fisher. Did you write one to Wasps? Did you write to CCC or Higgs or ACL when they were selling the stadium to a rugby franchise?

No mention to Conn about the wrongs of moving teams around the country. You weren't so shy of mentioning it when it was us at Sixfields.

Who should we be fighting? Encouraging a boycott of Wasps would benefit CCFC how? Encouraging a boycott of council taxes? Encourage a boycott of donations to Higgs? Encourage a boycott of CT? Maybe we are not "fighting" anyone because there is no one left to fight - the world has moved on. In my opinion we should be getting the best possible deal for CCFC and its fans from Wasps by negotiating a long term deal.

Last edited:

ashbyjan

Wasps havent said anything except that they want to work with CCFC - the two sides have been talking about joint ventures including shared ticketing facilities etc. I believe that a deal over access to match day revenues is possible but unless you ask you certainly won't get. Its down to negotiating the best possible deal for CCFC.
I have spoken to Steve about some of his comments - Steve is a passionate guy who loves rugby as much as football - he follows CCFC and CRFC. It is not a case of endorsing Wasps but looking at the way the day was run on Sunday then City could learn a thing or two. Did I enjoy the day - yes, partly because my partner enjoyed the day, never enjoyed going to football but it was tinged with sadness that this should have been ours and thanks to SISU its not.
Wasps move gives them access to 365 days revenue but more importantly it gives them a massive catchment area for supporters that High Wycombe never could. For example on the shuttle bus from Leeks car park we chatted to a family who were from Shrewsbury and were here because their lads play rugby and they now had the chance to see Premiership rugby within a reasonable commute. None of these decisions are simply about one issue.

Nick

Administrator
This is a comparison, which situation gave that rush... wasps try or jacksons equaliser?

Not being funny, I could be at a champions league final watching barca and inter Milan but I wouldn't jump about like jackson scoring against fleetwood.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

So a senior member of the trust enjoyed himself more watching a team ripped from its natural home more than the team he represents as board member on the main fans supporters group.

A seriously gobsmacking statement.

Why would you be gobsmacked at the Fleetwood game at least a couple of hundred left at half time and that was just from the old Tesco stand,I went to my brothers house stripping wallpaper found that more enjoyable. Oh and the people you're slagging off go to home and away games including JPT but I forgot you don't do the paint pot do you? They are better fans much better than you and your cronies will ever be. For once in your your life meet these people you obviously hate and use your arguments to convince people your right instead of being a self centred, egotistical devisive,snipping little c**t. Why don't you send one of them a pm arrange to meet you can then keep it a secret and nobody will have to know that you might actually be a reasonable person and you can keep up your well cultivated persona. But that's not likely to happen is it?

torchomatic

That's great. If you can't be arsed anymore then good for you. Not everyone feels the same though.

Why would you be gobsmacked at the Fleetwood game at least a couple of hundred left at half time and that was just from the old Tesco stand,I went to my brothers house stripping wallpaper found that more enjoyable. Oh and the people you're slagging off go to home and away games including JPT but I forgot you don't do the paint pot do you? They are better fans much better than you and your cronies will ever be. For once in your your life meet these people you obviously hate and use your arguments to convince people your right instead of being a self centred, egotistical devisive,snipping little c**t. Why don't you send one of them a pm arrange to meet you can then keep it a secret and nobody will have to know that you might actually be a reasonable person and you can keep up your well cultivated persona. But that's not likely to happen is it?

torchomatic

So what?! There you go again. Moving a club is wrong. You agreed 12 months ago. I bet if they moved Rangers or Celtic to London then the crowds would be great too. Wouldn't make it right though, would it?

Wasps move gives them access to 365 days revenue but more importantly it gives them a massive catchment area for supporters that High Wycombe never could.

ashbyjan

In my opinion the root cause of our current situation is SISU - all else has stemmed from their behaviour. To be honest continually raking over who did what to who, who said what and when etc etc is fucking boring and won't change anything. No letter to Wasps because they have actually met with us and said they would be happy to do a long term deal - a fact that has been widely reported. The decision to move Wasps is something between them, their fans and the RFU - our move to Northampton was between us, CCFC and the FL. I didn't like the fact that we were being moved to Northampton as part of a scheme to get the stadium on the cheap even if it meant killing the club to do it - it was done with no regard or respect for the fans. I take it if we move to Nuneaton you will be opposing it as it will be detrimental to Nuneaton Town and your moral compass wouldn't countenance that?

Grendel

Maybe we should move to Suffolk? Not many football clubs up there, could increase our catchment area.

Dublin - get a league team in Dublin.

Brainwashing really does work.

Nick

Administrator
Wasps havent said anything except that they want to work with CCFC - the two sides have been talking about joint ventures including shared ticketing facilities etc. I believe that a deal over access to match day revenues is possible but unless you ask you certainly won't get. Its down to negotiating the best possible deal for CCFC.
I have spoken to Steve about some of his comments - Steve is a passionate guy who loves rugby as much as football - he follows CCFC and CRFC. It is not a case of endorsing Wasps but looking at the way the day was run on Sunday then City could learn a thing or two. Did I enjoy the day - yes, partly because my partner enjoyed the day, never enjoyed going to football but it was tinged with sadness that this should have been ours and thanks to SISU its not.
Wasps move gives them access to 365 days revenue but more importantly it gives them a massive catchment area for supporters that High Wycombe never could. For example on the shuttle bus from Leeks car park we chatted to a family who were from Shrewsbury and were here because their lads play rugby and they now had the chance to see Premiership rugby within a reasonable commute. None of these decisions are simply about one issue.

So you are justifying franchise sport by saying now they have moved they have a bigger catchment area? Seriously?

Jan, sorry but that is shocking and you can't really wonder why people have digs when you post things like that.

Does that mean if sisu moved us somewhere it would be fine?

torchomatic

They're a joke. They really can't see how hypocritical they are being.

So you are justifying franchise sport by saying now they have moved they have a bigger catchment area? Seriously?

Jan, sorry but that is shocking and you can't really wonder why people have digs when you post things like that.

torchomatic

OK, so what "regard and respect for the fans" have Wasps shown their supporters by moving 85 miles?

As for a move to Nuneaton. Would I oppose it? No, because they're my team. You're sticking up for a supporting a team that you don't even support. You excuse their actions although they have done exactly the same as SISU.

Your comments really do shame the Trust.

In my opinion the root cause of our current situation is SISU - all else has stemmed from their behaviour. To be honest continually raking over who did what to who, who said what and when etc etc is fucking boring and won't change anything. No letter to Wasps because they have actually met with us and said they would be happy to do a long term deal - a fact that has been widely reported. The decision to move Wasps is something between them, their fans and the RFU - our move to Northampton was between us, CCFC and the FL. I didn't like the fact that we were being moved to Northampton as part of a scheme to get the stadium on the cheap even if it meant killing the club to do it - it was done with no regard or respect for the fans. I take it if we move to Nuneaton you will be opposing it as it will be detrimental to Nuneaton Town and your moral compass wouldn't countenance that?

ashbyjan

Like I have said the moving of Wasps is a matter for them, their fans, their sport - like Team Fiat moved to Birmingham - Solihull Barons moved to Cov - different rules for different sports. Football is very much embedded in its local community and I opposed the move to Northampton because it was part of an economic plan that had no regard for the fans and could and did threaten the very future of the club.

Ashdown

In fairness Jan, most people know whatever the club bidded for the Higgs share it wasn't going to happen anyway. intheknow has also confirmed it was always going to be 100% going to wasps.

Would a comparison be Gillingham? In which case "Yeah I went to the wasps game, it was full and busy but it was nothing to compared to when we played Gillingham". In terms of fleetwood, it was boring as shit but it was watching my team play. I would much rather that than go and watch villa play a premier league game, I don't support villa and wouldn't care how loud or busy it was. It is how I have grown up, if I would have wanted to support a "top class" team I would have supported the big teams like the other kids at school, I am not going to suddenly decide to support one because it has been shipped in and then start comparing them to the team I love.

At school I knew City weren't as good as Man Utd or Liverpool, but being one of a couple in city shirts at the time I would have fought to the death about how city were the best team in the world at everything. If Man Utd had a nice hot dog, city would have a nicer hot dog.

Jesus Nick, how many times do you expect people to keep turning up for 'Boring and shit' { your words} afternoons. SISU reduced us to this, SISU ripped the heart out of the club when they started cutting it to the bones, SISU broke peoples hearts and habits when they cleared off to Northampton and still only SISU continue to talk about nothing but court cases and moving the club once again out of the City. They don't deserve some of you guys fighting their corner, you and others might care about the club but they don't.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

None of you answered my question before so I'll ask again did any of you give a toss when Wasps,London Irishetc were moved before? Where was your moral indignation then? When people last season said why not go and watch Cov how many of you said you didn't give a toss about Cov its a different sport,now all of a sudden you're concerned brilliant.

Nick

Administrator
Like I have said the moving of Wasps is a matter for them, their fans, their sport - like Team Fiat moved to Birmingham - Solihull Barons moved to Cov - different rules for different sports. Football is very much embedded in its local community and I opposed the move to Northampton because it was part of an economic plan that had no regard for the fans and could and did threaten the very future of the club.

You are a fan of them and their sport though? Sorry jan but step back and re read your posts from the outside.

You are saying it's fine to move wasps to a bigger catchment area and they will get 365 income.

It's well and good saying yes but it's rugby but not football, it doesn't change the fact does it.

That fact is it seems to be all about sisu.

torchomatic

He isn't fighting their corner, is he? He's sticking up for his team. After all, none of us can choose who our owners are or how they treat us. Does that mean we should just give in when things get bad? I can't speak for others, but I won't.

They don't deserve some of you guys fighting their corner, you and others might care about the club but they don't.

Nick

Administrator
Jesus Nick, how many times do you expect people to keep turning up for 'Boring and shit' { your words} afternoons. SISU reduced us to this, SISU ripped the heart out of the club when they started cutting it to the bones, SISU broke peoples hearts and habits when they cleared off to Northampton and still only SISU continue to talk about nothing but court cases and moving the club once again out of the City. They don't deserve some of you guys fighting their corner, you and others might care about the club but they don't.

I don't, the same as I don't expect our fans group to go round pretty much saying wasps good, ccfc bad.

I'm not fighting sisus corner am I? I'm talking about the feeling when a goal is scored, not when a court case is filed.

ashbyjan

OK, so what "regard and respect for the fans" have Wasps shown their supporters by moving 85 miles?

As for a move to Nuneaton. Would I oppose it? No, because they're my team. You're sticking up for a supporting a team that you don't even support. You excuse their actions although they have done exactly the same as SISU.

Your comments really do shame the Trust.
I don't really care about the level of respect Wasps have shown their fans - thats between them and their fans - I do care about CCFC. You don't oppose moving to Nuneaton even if it might kill another team and its not in Coventry? Sad and selfish.
If my comments shame the Trust then report me to them, oppose me in the elections, come to meetings and make your point to other members.

torchomatic

hah! You all have the same dewey eyed love for all things black and yellow so a bit pointless there. If you're not fighting for anything then I suggest you stop asking for cash.

If my comments shame the Trust then report me to them, oppose me in the elections, come to meetings and make your point to other members.

Ashdown

He isn't fighting their corner, is he? He's sticking up for his team. After all, none of us can choose who our owners are or how they treat us. Does that mean we should just give in when things get bad? I can't speak for others, but I won't.
There is SISU and then there is CCFC..............they are not united in anything but ownership, I'll fight day and night for my team but not for the incompetents that have reduced us to this debacle.

Nick

Administrator
I don't really care about the level of respect Wasps have shown their fans - thats between them and their fans - I do care about CCFC. You don't oppose moving to Nuneaton even if it might kill another team and its not in Coventry? Sad and selfish.

Wait a minute, you are calling other people sad and selfish after the line before? Seriously Jan....this is getting worse, I'm not even sure if this is a wind up now.

Report you to who? The people who all agree with you???

torchomatic

HOld on. You don't care about Wasps but you do care about how it will affect Nuneaton? Which is it? You either do care for fans who are affected by other teams moving or you don't. Or do you need to sit around a table in the pub and discuss it?

torchomatic

Agree. I'm saying that I don't know who is supposedly fighting for SISU.

There is SISU and then there is CCFC..............they are not united in anything but ownership, I'll fight day and night for my team but not for the incompetents that have reduced us to this debacle.

Nick

Administrator
HOld on. You don't care about Wasps but you do care about how it will affect Nuneaton? Which is it? You either do care for fans who are affected by other teams moving or you don't. Or do you need to sit around a table in the pub and discuss it?
Exactly, then calling others selfish... I wonder how the wasps fans felt who couldn't make it. Jan had a great time though, he doesn't even support them. Yet everybody else is selfish....

MichaelCCFC

Really no need for some of the stuff that's being chucked at fellow City fans on here today. Isn't this supposed to be the season of goodwill to all men etc etc?!

Users who are viewing this thread