New David Conn article (3 Viewers)

martcov

So you wouldn't have said how much you don't care about another teams fans because they are not ccfc to then go on and use You don't oppose moving to Nuneaton even if it might kill another team and its not in Coventry?. Surely the first sentence kind of blows that point out of the water no?

I personally feel, that Rugby is different and that the other fans of another sport have to deal with it. They seem to have accepted the move -at least some of them. I would also agree with the move to Nuneaton if - big if - there was no alternative. CCFC would have priority over Nuneaton fans for me if it got that far. I hope it doesn't, but I, am not being hypocritical and saying it is "just wrong" in the case of "wasps" but "ok if we are in the shit". I think he and some others have noticed the double standards here. And the " only 3 miles " excuse doesn't cut as " just wrong " etc. isn't dependant on the circumstances. It is a moral stance. Either you have this moral or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

Nick

Administrator
I personally feel, that Rugby is different and that the other fans of another sport have to deal with it. They seem to have accepted the move -at least some of them. I would also agree with the move to Nuneaton if - big if - there was no alternative. CCFC would have priority over Nuneaton fans for me if it got that far. I hope it doesn't, but I, am not being hypocritical and saying it is "just wrong" in the case of "wasps" but "ok if we are in the shit". I think he and some others have noticed the double standards here. And the " only 3 miles " excuse doesn't cut as " just wrong " etc. isn't dependant on the circumstances. It is a moral stance. Either you have this moral or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

It is all well and good him noticing "double standards" but what people don't notice is where the double standards have started and how much of the "double standards" you point of are probably just tongue in cheek comments aimed at them. These are the people who were so vocal about fans rights, fix football, let down by the football league etc for us being allowed to move on a temporary basis.

Yes people can say "oh but it is a different sport", but when you say openly you couldn't give a shit about another team moving here's fans that is wrong isn't it? Surely you can see that some people were nearly coming to blows they were that angry with other fans about them going to watch games at Sixfields. Some of the same fans are now coming on here saying how great the wasps move is, they were right to move here as there is a bigger catchment area for fans. The same fans will no doubt be going batshit mental if CCFC got moved up the country. Like you say it is a moral stance, you can't switch it off and on based on different conditions.

Going from:

Moving teams is wrong
Moving teams is wrong if it is football
Moving teams is wrong if it is football and coventry city

to:

Moving a team to another city because they have a better catchment area

My view in between all the tongue in cheek posts which are trying to point out the irony.

I think moving teams full time is wrong but common sense should be used shouldn't it? If Wasps were playing in Nuneaton for example and then moved a few miles down the road to Coventry would it be as bad as moving up from London? I don't think it would. People in Nuneaton, Bedworth and Coventry would already be supporting Wasps if they wanted top league rugby, you would then the people who supported cov and nuneaton rugby teams already in place. Would that extra couple of miles down the bypass suddenly make people think "actually I have been missing top flight rugby all this time, i must go now". Common sense says no.

I didn't like being in Northampton and while it was a temporary move it was my team, if it had changed to a full time move that would have changed.

Would I go if it was somewhere like Bermuda? Yes probably it is just down the road, SISU would need to pull some great PR out though. If people in Nuneaton or Bedworth wanted pro football then they would already be going to city, villa or leicester. If they were set in their ways of home town they would be supporting nuneaton or bedworth united. I don't think us moving a couple of miles closer down the road is suddenly going to make them change their minds and suddenly realise that CCFC is what they have been missing (like Wasps seems to have been). Obviously if it did ever happen, the other football clubs should be consulted about it all at the planning stages rather than other people deciding for them.

Would I go if we got moved to Hinckley or somewhere like that? No, that would be a whole new area and whole new fan base.

Obviously I would want it to be in Coventry if possible, but I would use common sense if and when they ever revealed the location rather than an invisible line that can be changed at any time anyway. People will probably say "yes but it HAS To be in those lines to be Coventry". I bet you a fiver the people who say that defend wasps coming here by saying something like "yes but they arent even london wasps now" or "they havent been in london for years anyway".

Nick

Administrator
Good article (nothing new though) but the most interesting thing was the comments and some of the links included in the comments.
I agree, overall the article got the comments it was aiming to get.

The interesting one is the wasps fan who said the club is no longer his club and he cried who got the reply "no fan is bigger than the club" and shot straight down.

martcov

I agree, overall the article got the comments it was aiming to get.

The interesting one is the wasps fan who said the club is no longer his club and he cried who got the reply "no fan is bigger than the club" and shot straight down.

I have given you a like for your previous longer post - not because I agree with everything you say ( although I do agree with some points ), but because you went to the trouble of explaining your viewpoint instead of just attacking for the sake of it. On this one, did Conn write an article aiming to get SISU critical comments? Or because it his job to write articles - and to ask people like Tim questions ( as in his twitter explanation that he had asked Tim if he would have taken the offer made to Wasps ). The Wasps fan complaining was in the minority anyway and there was nothing like the venom ( in the comments that I read - I haven't read them all ) against Wasps owners that was present against SISU when they took us to Northampton. Maybe because Wasps are "scaling up " and we are " scaling down ". Most people are frustrated at how on earth we landed where we are and some as to why SISU wasn't pulled up by the FL long ago. In the case of football - look to the top of the tree to see why these things happen - Sepp Blatter and his cronies set the moral standards of the game. Nuff said.

jas365

That's where the pr would need to come in for it to work, I don't think anybody thinks it would work if they just did it abd expected a full house to follow them.

Going back to the PR thing, as I said in another post the major problem is that we have the same people involved as screwed it up in the first place - Fisher and Seppala. The PR during their time has been atrocious, and that's why I think a new stadium would only get full backing from fans if they were removed (not that I think that is likely to happen).

When we had the forums prior to the Sixfields move, it was advertised as a consultation - it wasn't. It was 3 forums where Fisher told us what the club was going to do, and if we didn't like it we could lump it. He didn't take on board anything that was being said. People were sat there laughing at him and his answers, it was embarrassing.

Prior to the move I had home and away ST's - I had barely missed a game in 20+ years. I didn't get a single letter or phone call from the club asking me why I hadn't renewed, or trying to convince me to renew. I was amazed I never got anything.

To my knowledge the club has not had a mass clear out of staff since then, it's the same people involved. Sandra Garlick's group is just laughed at, and I don't think many people take anything that Fisher says seriously any more.

I would need a lot of convincing that the people in charge would handle a new ground move any better than they've handled anything else up to this point.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Going back to the PR thing, as I said in another post the major problem is that we have the same people involved as screwed it up in the first place - Fisher and Seppala. The PR during their time has been atrocious, and that's why I think a new stadium would only get full backing from fans if they were removed (not that I think that is likely to happen).

When we had the forums prior to the Sixfields move, it was advertised as a consultation - it wasn't. It was 3 forums where Fisher told us what the club was going to do, and if we didn't like it we could lump it. He didn't take on board anything that was being said. People were sat there laughing at him and his answers, it was embarrassing.

Prior to the move I had home and away ST's - I had barely missed a game in 20+ years. I didn't get a single letter or phone call from the club asking me why I hadn't renewed, or trying to convince me to renew. I was amazed I never got anything.

To my knowledge the club has not had a mass clear out of staff since then, it's the same people involved. Sandra Garlick's group is just laughed at, and I don't think many people take anything that Fisher says seriously any more.

I would need a lot of convincing that the people in charge would handle a new ground move any better than they've handled anything else up to this point.

You have to say that with these clowns at the helm even with fan approval its going to be a disaster that will eclipse the move from HR to the Ricoh. In all aspects we were in a much stronger position last time, before, during and for a short while after than we are currently.

If for nothing else IMO all fans should appose a new stadium because the fuck up is going to be so big it will finish the club. New owners is the only way forward for our club.

wingy

You have to say that with these clowns at the helm even with fan approval its going to be a disaster that will eclipse the move from HR to the Ricoh. In all aspects we were in a much stronger position last time, before, during and for a short while after than we are currently.

If for nothing else IMO all fans should appose a new stadium because the fuck up is going to be so big it will finish the club. New owners is the only way forward for our club.

Was going to post sometHong similar Tony
Agree history tells us this is going to end badly
Having done it once uunder Richardson, Fisher has by taking us to Sixfields achieved the same result leaving us beholden to a third party for the second time in twenty years
The alleged move to this new ground will have achieved it for the third time but at least we'll only be beholden to SISU and that's a plus point isn't it

J

Jack Griffin

Good article (nothing new though) but the most interesting thing was the comments and some of the links included in the comments.

This is a good one, I agree with..

Peter323 MichaelinBrum
15h ago
2 3

These are my thoughts as an outsider (an English ex-pat retired after a 40-year-career as a lawyer in the USA who is not a fan of Coventry City, but who was delighted by their F.A. Cup victory in the 1980s and is sorry to see the club in such a terrible state).

What I cannot understand is why the Football League has not stepped in and stripped the ownership of Coventry City FC from SISU, which, as a judge has found, has demonstrated not only that it is grossly incompetent but that it is entirely unethical in its running of the club. This it would do by banning SISU from running the club after a certain date and thereby ordering its sale before that date to new owners, who would, one hopes, be required to pass a fitness test with some teeth in it. The Football League's inaction is both astounding and gutless. Couldn't the Coventry City supporters association lodge a formal complaint with the League asking for this relief and thus force it to make some sort of decision about what, if anything, it is willing to do about this mess?

The prospects of SISU building a new stadium are pie in the sky and the representations it is making in that regard are worthless. Were I a fan of the club, I wouldn't believe a word SISU says, given its track record. Perhaps the situation will be resolved satisfactorily merely by the passage of time with SISU selling up on its own initiative once it loses its latest appeal and finally accepts that it is not going to pull off its nasty scheme. But that will mean another long wait, especially if appeals in the U.K. legal system take as long as they do in the USA.

I hate seeing this new breed of investors, many of them foreign, taking over football in the U.K., apparently with the silent connivance of the football regulatory bodies. It's sickening.

skybluetony176

Its a good point but as long as there is an appeal process in place it is possible that the judges summing up could be overturned and the FL are left open to litigation from SISU if they are forced to sell the club before the appeal process ends. Maybe another feasable reason for the appeal and further litigation? Its the only way they can keep control of the club. Maybe.

Gosford Green

Well written and accurate which is unusual for the nationals, nothing new and our plight looks depressing but I am taking the positive view that we still warrant national media coverage.

S

SydneySkyBlue

I was glad to read this. These scumbags should given as much bad publicity as possible. Luckily, since their run in with each other Conn seems to be having a good time highlighting their ineptitude.

dadgad

That quote pointing out (from a legal and ethical perspective) just why the governance of football is actually a footballing matter with little if anything to do with the separate and overriding obligations of the CCC.
Strangely and idiotically the vast majority have been distracted by this misapprehension assuming that the Council have let down Cov fans!!!
These people exhibit the most bizarre example of stupidity. First and foremost the running of the club is down to the owners overseen by a governing body unfit for purpose.it is a combination of these two corrosive influences that has brought the club to its knees. The only other major factor is the stupidity of fans who have chosen to look in the wrong direction.
Unbelievable.

stupot07

That quote pointing out (from a legal and ethical perspective) just why the governance of football is actually a footballing matter with little if anything to do with the separate and overriding obligations of the CCC.
Strangely and idiotically the vast majority have been distracted by this misapprehension assuming that the Council have let down Cov fans!!!
These people exhibit the most bizarre example of stupidity. First and foremost the running of the club is down to the owners overseen by a governing body unfit for purpose.it is a combination of these two corrosive influences that has brought the club to its knees. The only other major factor is the stupidity of fans who have chosen to look in the wrong direction.
Unbelievable.

Similarly the RFU for allowing a team to move 90 miles from its routes, into a completely different region, let alone county.

Both governing bodies should hang their heads in shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

dadgad

Both governing bodies should hang their heads in shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Cannot comment on RFU as Do not know what its guidelines stipulate.
Enlighten us on this abject and collective abdication of sporting values and its repercussions for society.
Why the fuck hasn't CCC sorted it?
;)

dadgad

Sums up the majority of your posts ;)

Mmmmm? Some might - like Conn - try and look at the evidence in trying to work out a solution for our club.
The 'burden of proof' is rarely supported by ignorance and innuendo.
Until Sisu stop trying to blame others for their own failures things can never improve. That's clear to most, but in any case, an immutable fact of life.

Gazolba

Its a good point but as long as there is an appeal process in place it is possible that the judges summing up could be overturned and the FL are left open to litigation from SISU if they are forced to sell the club before the appeal process ends. Maybe another feasable reason for the appeal and further litigation? Its the only way they can keep control of the club. Maybe.

The answer to that problem is to make it a condition of Football League membership that clubs and owners cannot sue the FL. As soon as any club sues the FL they would automatically lose their golden share and be ejected from the league.

dadgad

The answer to that problem is to make it a condition of Football League membership that clubs and owners cannot sue the FL. As soon as any club sues the FL they would automatically lose their golden share and be ejected from the league.

Alternatively, the FL should grow a pair and get involved in some 3rd party disputes whilst simply sticking to their guidelines.

Users who are viewing this thread