Name a club (2 Viewers)

italiahorse

Agree but I think with the right backing this doesn’t need to be a new owner but we need to be in a strong position should wasps fail. If we are in league 2 or 1 we won’t be strong enough. Ideally drop ticket prices to 20quid then maybe we will get more in but promotion this year is essential

Disagree on ownership
I think we need to get up the leagues to put us in a stronger bargaining position.
Wasps will no doubt have ups and downs and must realise that a strong CCFC will smooth the risk.
However Wasps will need to give something back to CCFC so we can get up the leagues and somehow create a 'win win' for both teams in terms of security.
I can't see them trusting Sisu without putting shackles on them and that restricts any CCFC success.
Sisu need to let us go and hopefully do it nicely.

Covstu

Disagree on ownership
I think we need to get up the leagues to put us in a stronger bargaining position.
Wasps will no doubt have ups and downs and must realise that a strong CCFC will smooth the risk.
However Wasps will need to give something back to CCFC so we can get up the leagues and somehow create a 'win win' for both teams in terms of security.
I can't see them trusting Sisu without putting shackles on them and that restricts any CCFC success.
Sisu need to let us go and hopefully do it nicely.
I see it the other way, we are back in the championship with a decent attendance, that puts the club in a strong bargaining position. I do agree that it’s a very broken relationship and both parties will need to ‘give’ but at the moment we hold a very weak hand

italiahorse

I see it the other way, we are back in the championship with a decent attendance, that puts the club in a strong bargaining position. I do agree that it’s a very broken relationship and both parties will need to ‘give’ but at the moment we hold a very weak hand
We need to keep the deals short while Sisu are here.
New owners need to get a deal that reflects our growing stature (hope)

Cov kid 55

Norwich, Leicester, Wolves, Sunderland, Derby.
I’d go with those teams Oucho, although even some of them have a greater history than ours( Wolves, perhaps Sunderland) and this does have an effect, in terms of a greater reservoir of ‘traditional’ fans.

shmmeee

We’re in that big blob of clubs that changes positions but overall is generally the same. I’d put us with clubs like Southampton, Wolves, the Sheffield clubs, Blues, Bournemouth, Norwich, Ipswich, etc. Sort of yo-yo club between Prem and Champ but equally might spend a few seasons in L1 or even a quick stop in L2. We are definitely at the lowest ebb of that group though and a few years at L2 level and we’d drop to sort of Walsall size.

Nonleagueherewecome

Great thread. For me, QPR/Pompey to answer the OP. In more depth:

1. Man U
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
4. Spurs
5. Everton
6. Leeds
7. Villa
8. Chelsea
9. Notts F
10. Newcastle
11. Man C
12. West Ham
13. Sheff Wed
14. Southampton
15. Leicester
16. West Brom
17. Stoke
18. Blackburn
19. Sunderland
20. Wolves
21. Bolton
22. Palace
23. Derby
24. Sheff U
25. Naaaarwich
26. Burnley
27. Ipswich
28. QPR
29. Coventry
30. Portsmouth
31. Middlesbrough
32. Birmingham
33. Watford
34. Charlton
35. Fulham
36. Swansea
37. Notts C
38. Luton
39. Wimbledon
40. Huddersfield
41. Brighton
42. Preston
43. Oxford
44. Millwall
45. Oldham
46. Bristol C
47. Barnsley
48. Blackpool
49. Bradford
50. Cardiff
51. Reading
52. Port Vale
53. Peterboro
54. Plymouth
55. Bournemouth
56. Brentford
57. Wigan
58. Hull
59. Rotherham
60. Grimsby
61. Shrewsbury
62. Bristol R
63. Swindon
64. MK Dons
65. Walsall
66. Gillingham
67. Colchester
68. Northampton
69. Chesterfield
70. Southend
71. Doncaster
72. Crewe
73. Scunthorpe
74. Bury
75. Cambridge
76. Rochdale
77. Burton
78. Carlisle
79. Exeter
80. Wycombe
81. Newport
82. Lincoln
83. Yeovil
84. Mansfield
85. Accrington
86. Cheltenham
87. Barnet
88. Morecambe
89. Stevenage
90. Crawley
91. Fleetwood
92. Forest Green

Based on:
1) Heavy 80's and 90's bias.
2) Whether you got a foil club badge, IE were in the top 2 divisions, in the first few Panini sticker albums I got (85-87. 86 was the best with Kenny Sansom on the cover). Carlisle, Shrewsbury and Oxford do well from this.
3) Heavy penalty to those clubs doing well now entirely above their station due to rich owners, but a slight begrudging acknowledgement of their increased support/silverware as a result.
4) Few extra points to faded early 20th Century Northern powerhouses/long-term league members compared to most of their modern performance.
5) I've been playing loads of Championship Manager 90's games.
6) As such, penalties to "are you a nonleague club in disguise?" teams.

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

I'd say the same although more Soton than Norwich, purely based on the catchment area of Norwich and the amount of ST holders they have. Whilst we have many more clubs near us than the other two, Norwich only has Ipswich reasonably close.

Southampton would have Pompey, Bournemouth and Reading within approx. an hours drive.

Always thought we were similar to Saints anyway. Similar sized grounds (old and new), one major trophy in the past 40-50 years, a long spell in the top flight, always skirting relegation when we were up there etc.

And they like us as well. Not a bad club to compare ourselves to. The only way we differ is that they turned SISU down (albeit due to wanting more money from them initially). Other than that, very similar.

Agreed. They're like us if we'd bounced back rather than being....well, you pointed out where our fates differed! They're the well ran, wealthier us: what we could be if we had success again. But atm obviously much bigger.

Fergusons_Beard

Our top average ever was 33k in our first season in div 1.

Actually it was 34,705 in 1968 we finished 20th
1969 33,223 (20th) 1970 32,043 (6th Highest ever placing) and then weirdly a massive drop off in 71 26,039 (10th) .

Even we were successful we didn’t have the gates!

Fast forward again to our highest position of 8th in the Championship in 2006 for our highest ave attendance since we got relegated of 21,180.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SkyblueBazza

1969 33,223 (20th) 1970 32,043 (6th Highest ever placing) and then weirdly a massive drop off in 71 26,039 (10th) .

Fast forward again to our highest position of 8th in the Championship in 2006 for our highest ave attendance since we got relegated of 21,180.

This is very true...but I think it was a familiar pattern with a fair few clubs over the same time period. Gates in the top flight have risen overall so I think we would be around 25k around mid table nowadays

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

wingy

That drop off in 71 possibly relating to the dark days of Violence, the economy taking a downturn Change of Manager?

Fergusons_Beard

Also wasn’t 70-71 winter of discontent and work to rule?

People strapped for cash and whole country on energy lock down.

Enough to keep people at home!

rupert_bear

In today’s world any club in the country can become a “big” club, clubs like Burton for example nothing more than a small fry non league outfit less than 10 years ago are one promotion from potentially hundreds of millions only takes a sugar daddy owner to grab them. Or at the highest level Let’s take Man City now one of the best teams in the world thanks to the mega millions of oil money being poured in and that’s it and as usual that’s what rules money

Grendel

Would need to put up a good argument against staying at the Ricoh with a good deal.
Seems to work for others.
I think it's a big assumption that public opinion will turn against Wasps and that the council would be under pressure.
The council can't however object to any new stadium other than on normal planning rules.

One of the reasons they pulled out of the Higgs deal is that they were concerned about the negative press they’d get due to the negative impact on the club. That I know 100-% is a fact.

Grendel

Also wasn’t 70-71 winter of discontent and work to rule?

People strapped for cash and whole country on energy lock down.

Enough to keep people at home!

No that was 74 - 75

SlowerThanPlatt

4734F94F-C5B5-42F9-951C-A56E1342DC4F.jpeg

This table is correct as of the 2015 season. I was amazed to see us ahead of Forest tbh considering their history is far greater than ours.

So people are pretty much right comparing us to Pompey, Derby, Leicester and Southampton in terms of support anyway

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I think Ipswich have great support given that they have done nothing for years.

SlowerThanPlatt

I think Ipswich have great support given that they have done nothing for years.

Agreed. They’ve been in the Championship since the 2003/04 season, two seasons before that though they did finish 5th in the Prem. They’ve reached the play-offs three times and the lowest they’ve finished is 16th which was last season during that time

I also think they haven’t got past the third round of the FA Cup for six years

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Agreed. They’ve been in the Championship since the 2003/04 season, two seasons before that though they did finish 5th in the Prem. They’ve reached the play-offs three times and the lowest they’ve finished is 16th which was last season during that time
Not sure what their average crowd is, but I'm guessing its somewhere around 16,000. I'm not sure we'd keep that up for the same period of time.

SlowerThanPlatt

Not sure what their average crowd is, but I'm guessing its somewhere around 16,000. I'm not sure we'd keep that up for the same period of time.

In our 11th consecutive Championship season, we finished 23rd and our average attendance was 15,118. We didn’t finish in the play-offs throughout them 11 years and only finished in the top half 3 times (8th, 11th and 12th)

In Ipswich’s 13th consecutive Championship season, they’re currently in 12th position and have an average of 16,726 for home games. During the 13 years, they’ve finished in the play-offs 3 times and have finished in the top half 8 times

So to summarise, we’re both pretty boring but they’ve been more ‘successful’ in the Championship

Brylowes

But Ipswich have a league Title, FA Cup, and UEFA Cup under their belt, they have also
Qualified for Europe 12 times, most of their success came in the 70s when they were
Rarely out of the top 6 and the 80s.
So the young fans who were there to enjoy this Golden chapter in their history are now
In their 40s and 50s and obviously passed the bug on to their kids and grandkids.
If Coventry had enjoyed this level of success over the same period we would have a
Much healthier fan base today.

Users who are viewing this thread