Name a club (3 Viewers)

Londonccfcfan

Having thought about it Bradford is a fair comparison and maybe Portsmouth too for the supporter potential.

Tho we're one bad move away from being a Burton Albion or Forest Green, Accrington sized supported club.
IM surprised by the size of followings in National league. Those clubs feared the worst like wrexham and stockport etc but they actually getting more fans than in league 2. 5/6/7 k and more.

I think we would be surprised just how loyal our fans are or woukd be. As even shown this year. Obviously theres only so much more we can take under current owners.

rondog1973

Fuck me.....how long you got!?We will arguing about this.

Some will talk about about potential, the fanbase, our premier league history.

All things considered.

We should be a middle of the road Championship club.

Bigger than the Reading in every way, shape and form.
20 years would not even have dreamed of comparing ourselves to Reading.

We are bigger than,

Swansea, Bournemouth,Huddersfield, Birmingham.

But not not quite as big as
Sheffield clubs, Leicester, Baggies, etc.

Id say comparable would be ; Portsmouth/Southampton/Derby/Norwich.
Leicester?

Was only a couple of years ago that their historical attendance average exceeded ours.

steve82

IM surprised by the size of followings in National league. Those clubs feared the worst like wrexham and stockport etc but they actually getting more fans than in league 2. 5/6/7 k and more.

I think we would be surprised just how loyal our fans are or woukd be. As even shown this year. Obviously theres only so much more we can take under current owners.

Yeah I just looked into Wrexham and they averaged anything from 3000 to 4500 with likely higher than average gates for select games.

Tranmere are averaging 5000 which has been consistent to the last few years.

I think we'd go down to a core of 3500/4000 if we suffered another relegation.... dependant on ground obviously

rob9872

Great thread - so well done to the o/p.

I always felt that we were a Southampton/QPR/Norwich/Leicester. I felt bigger than Blues, Stoke, Albion, Watford, Ipswich, Sheff Utd etc but we are where we deserve to be and more like a Luton these days. Perhaps because I'm old school (as I still consider Leeds, Sheff Wed massive clubs despite their years outside the top flight) but I still maintain we have the potential to be back to a much bigger club again but needs to happen soon as we've already pretty much lost a generation.

rob9872

Yeah I just looked into Wrexham and they averaged anything from 3000 to 4500 with likely higher than average gates for select games.

Tranmere are averaging 5000 which has been consistent to the last few years.

I think we'd go down to a core of 3500/4000 if we suffered another relegation.... dependant on ground obviously

Whilst I tend to agree with your numbers, that shrinking core is the problem. There were always proportionally more for bigger games relative to the division we're or that capture the imagination such as Saturday, but our core used to be 10-12k then about 8k but as you've seen this year more like 5k, so we say core but is it really? It seems more and more are reaching their breaking point.

Skyblueweeman

I always saw us as a Norwich or Southampton kind of team.

I'd say the same although more Soton than Norwich, purely based on the catchment area of Norwich and the amount of ST holders they have. Whilst we have many more clubs near us than the other two, Norwich only has Ipswich reasonably close.

Southampton would have Pompey, Bournemouth and Reading within approx. an hours drive.

Always thought we were similar to Saints anyway. Similar sized grounds (old and new), one major trophy in the past 40-50 years, a long spell in the top flight, always skirting relegation when we were up there etc.

And they like us as well. Not a bad club to compare ourselves to. The only way we differ is that they turned SISU down (albeit due to wanting more money from them initially). Other than that, very similar.

Macca

Most have been mentioned but over my time since 1980 and even when were in the top flight I would see us similar to Watford, Southampton, Portsmouth, Palace, Norwich or Ipswich. Would be interesting to see what other fans thought. I would think that even before our demise we were treated with apathy by most

Ashdown

Name a club we compare with now ?!....................Sadly has to be more like Plymouth, Notts County or Walsall.............That's in terms of ownership and finance.
In terms of City, supporter base and potential.........Take your pick, almost any club out of the top 8 Premier teams, although obviously there are other clubs also outside of that who are slightly bigger like Villa, Forest, Derby and Leeds.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'd say the same although more Soton than Norwich, purely based on the catchment area of Norwich and the amount of ST holders they have. Whilst we have many more clubs near us than the other two, Norwich only has Ipswich reasonably close.

Southampton would have Pompey, Bournemouth and Reading within approx. an hours drive.

Always thought we were similar to Saints anyway. Similar sized grounds (old and new), one major trophy in the past 40-50 years, a long spell in the top flight, always skirting relegation when we were up there etc.

And they like us as well. Not a bad club to compare ourselves to. The only way we differ is that they turned SISU down (albeit due to wanting more money from them initially). Other than that, very similar.

When we got trashed 4-0 by them I couldn't move for Saints fans in the city centre wanting to shake my hand to praise our support that day and reminisce about old PL times. Great set of fans.

fernandopartridge

I’d say Birmingham City are bigger than the baggies and Sheffield Utd.
Derby are a big club also imho

A few years ago the old England Members Club has 25k members, on your application you stated the team you supported. They released a list of clubs supporterd by number within the membership and it made interesting reading (well not that interesting). Man Utd top, Spurs we’re second, We were 18th on the list. It was, give or take a few factors, like scousers don’t really follow England, a fair reflection of the size of club in England, (rangers were actually in the top 20).

Birmingham City ha ha, why? In the West Midlands conurbation they're probably bigger than Walsall and that's it.

NortonSkyBlue

Having thought about it Bradford is a fair comparison and maybe Portsmouth too for the supporter potential.

Tho we're one bad move away from being a Burton Albion or Forest Green, Accrington sized supported club.
And that is the reality of our situation.
Are we a bigger club than Walsall, yes, Burton yes, Port Vale, yes, Shrewsbury, yes, Notts County, yes, the rest, no way absolutely not even in potential.
Wolves way ahead of us , Leicester are in a different world nowadays as a club to all Midlands clubs and the biggest club in the midlands is and always will be Aston Villa by every measurement bar finance . Birmingham bigger than West Brom? never. Forest and Derby? in our dreams and Stoke?, after ten years of top flight football and owned by one the richest families in the land, no way.
Forget Wembley, forget MK Dons and deal with the real world. Southampton, Norwich and the rest have a loyal fanbase even at their lowest ebb. Ours? gates of 7k in the top flight, averaging 19000 in our pomp at HR and once the new stadium bounce was over and our new owners joined the pity party our so called fan base fled for the hills( at once Northampton came rightly so)
Gillingham and Crewe games are an anomaly and yes we can pull a crowd both at home and away but its the exception certainly not the rule.
Much smaller towns like Burnley and Middlesboro and Ipswich have a loyal following that puts ours to shame, Burnley is smaller than Nuneaton FFS.
Name a club similar to ours? Swindon

Londonccfcfan

And that is the reality of our situation.
Are we a bigger club than Walsall, yes, Burton yes, Port Vale, yes, Shrewsbury, yes, Notts County, yes, the rest, no way absolutely not even in potential.
Wolves way ahead of us , Leicester are in a different world nowadays as a club to all Midlands clubs and the biggest club in the midlands is and always will be Aston Villa by every measurement bar finance . Birmingham bigger than West Brom? never. Forest and Derby? in our dreams and Stoke?, after ten years of top flight football and owned by one the richest families in the land, no way.
Forget Wembley, forget MK Dons and deal with the real world. Southampton, Norwich and the rest have a loyal fanbase even at their lowest ebb. Ours? gates of 7k in the top flight, averaging 19000 in our pomp at HR and once the new stadium bounce was over and our new owners joined the pity party our so called fan base fled for the hills( at once Northampton came rightly so)
Gillingham and Crewe games are an anomaly and yes we can pull a crowd both at home and away but its the exception certainly not the rule.
Much smaller towns like Burnley and Middlesboro and Ipswich have a loyal following that puts ours to shame, Burnley is smaller than Nuneaton FFS.
Name a club similar to ours? Swindon
You forget the 35k plus average attendances in late 60s. In the championship in mid noughties we were averageing around 17/20k for about 5 years.

Which other club would get 32k in a midweek game vs Crewe in a tin pot competition semi.

Skyblueweeman

At least I'm not a tiny little pointless Northern Irelander.

giphy.gif

NortonSkyBlue

You forget the 35k plus average attendances in late 60s. In the championship in mid noughties we were averageing around 17/20k for about 5 years.

Which other club would get 32k in a midweek game vs Crewe in a tin pot competition semi.
Our top average ever was 33k in our first season in div 1. Lets not get carried away. Our support is at best mediocre, those that support us may be above average.
I hear people on hear say our fans are loud....fuck right off. Those that have witnessed 6000 Leeds fans at the Ricoh will know what loud is, not the 6000 silence of the lambs Leicester fans.
Even in MK threads there are fans saying that the fans on Saturday were day trippers and didn't know the songs or get behind the team.

Covstu

Right now we are not as big as Luton, the league table doesn’t lie. Historically I have always put us in line with a Derby, Southampton, Baggies.

Linking to a previous thread, this is why it’s critical that we shed this bitterness of not attending games and get back to supporting the club we love so we can play these teams again. As much as SISU are a bunch of cunts, the fans can get us promoted. My biggest fear is how far we fall IF we don’t get promoted this year

Grendel

Thanks to the magic of relegation and promotion clubs move up and down the 'size tree'.

CCFC has shrunk, rather like Wolves did in the mid 80's, but they only dropped to D4 in 5 or 6 years and rose again fairly swiftly.

Sheff Weds was another formerly comparable club that fell from the Prem around the same time we did but they've since been mostly in the Championship with a few seasons in League One.

Southampton have not been below D3 level since the late 50's, so I would say they are a bigger club.

The question I want answered is what is the ambition of the owners, are they content to leave this club yo-yoing between D3 & D4, if that is the limit of their ambition then I don't find it acceptable, CCFC is a football club not a profitable entry in a portfolio of businesses.

When people like you boycott the club you become part of the problem not the solution.

Users who are viewing this thread