Name a club (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

Would need to put up a good argument against staying at the Ricoh with a good deal.
Seems to work for others.
I think it's a big assumption that public opinion will turn against Wasps and that the council would be under pressure.
The council can't however object to any new stadium other than on normal planning rules.
giphy.gif

italiahorse

To be honest the attendance thing is never a good comparison. For most of our time in the the top flight our aim was to finish 4th from bottom. Teams like Leicester etc that bounced up and down a bit at least had a few seasons of watching winning football and attracting fans.
We have as many if not more people prepared to come and watch the City week in week out however too many false dawns wear on people. If this club has a sniff of a top 3 finish with 5-6 games to go the ricoh will be a busy place, these are not glory supporters turning up. these are fans who have had 40 years plus of nothing in terms of league football, and every time we look like going somewhere the wheels fall off.
Everyone still supports the team and will turn out when they see fit, but like myself fed up of cold nights watching dross football, paying over the odds when I could be with my family, nothing to cheer for so long.

Put the product on the pitch and people will come. I know one sort of leads to the other, more fans, more money better team, but many are not convinced more money would mean better players, and we all know they will be sold if they produce anyway.

On a comparison level I always thought Southampton or Norwich.

Its a bit chicken and egg though at the moment.
The crowds need to turn up to improve the team so the crowds will turn up.

Brylowes

I've always thought that Leicester City would be the closest to us in size
Fan base, stature, though obviously they have more fingers.

pusbccfc

I still think it is remarkable that as a forth tier club we took 8000 to MK Dons in the 4th round.

Not United or Arsenal away, not a semi final, but a club we've played 4 times in the past 5 years.

matesx

slightly smaller than Villa?

behave yourself, they are twice the size of us

RoboCCFC90

On par with Norwich, Southampton, Pompey, Birmingham, Wolves, Sunderland..

Londonccfcfan

You cant argue with that!
I do know for a week in 1998 we were the best team in Europe.
First day of season beat Chelsea, next week Chelsea (cup winners cup winners) beat Real Madrid( champions league winners) in the European Super Cup.
But for the ban on English clubs we woukd have been in Europe ourselves in 1988!

Joy Division

I’d say Birmingham City are bigger than the baggies and Sheffield Utd.
Derby are a big club also imho

West Brom have always been bigger than Birmingham City, historically and currently. With Villa dominating most of the success, Blues have always been in the shadow of them in a city that is not a football loving city. I'd say the Black County has a more vibrant footballing passion than Birmingham,

SkyblueBazza

It is all about perception of the overall package. I'm guessing at the average football fan perception here: -
Historically (late 70's-2000): Southampton/Birmingham/WBA

2000-now: Wigan/Bolton/Bristol City

What we could be: Stoke/Crystal Palace/WBA

And what we should be...Soton/Leicester/Brighton

Personally in the same order I reckon...Ipswich-Bristol City-Soton-somewhere between Leicester/Everton.

I think non-City fans under 35 generally would see us having a bad time, & realistically now be lower Championship outfit. Those under 20 probably think we are a L1 outfit. Those over 40 that we should be in the PL...but never doing anything as our overall history is one of fighting relegation

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Macca

We struggled to get 20k in the top flight and we are over time a lower league club. I obviously think we are fucking great but most other fans I know think we are well... meh. I'm settling with Watford

pusbccfc

We struggled to get 20k in the top flight and we are over time a lower league club. I obviously think we are fucking great but most other fans I know think we are well... meh. I'm settling with Watford

Watford? Until 2016 had never averaged 20,000 in their history.

fernandopartridge

I’d say we’re equal in size to Sheffield United. Mind, I only knew what was going on with the club (loosely) in our first season in Division 1.

Our 7th place finish under Micky Adams’ is my most memorable season to date. Let that sink in for some you older folk haha.
We finished 8th

ricohroar

In the mid 80's Man Utd onlu have 35K watching, now they get double that, so we could also argue in the top flight we had 15Kish so we'd get 30K now

Covstu

I agree but sisu won't be here forever and I do believe the London Wasps experiment will fail eventually. With new owners in place and, hopefully, renewed interest in the club the council will be forced into being as helpful as possible to the club.

Imagine a new owner got us up to the Championship, crowds back to the mid 20 thousands and they said "we can't progress further without stadium ownership". Under those circumstances public opinion would massively turn against wasps and the council would be under huge pressure to grant planning permission.
Agree but I think with the right backing this doesn’t need to be a new owner but we need to be in a strong position should wasps fail. If we are in league 2 or 1 we won’t be strong enough. Ideally drop ticket prices to 20quid then maybe we will get more in but promotion this year is essential

Londonccfcfan

Its time t build up a new generation of fans as hopefully move back up the leagues.

The initiatives like local school kids for free Accy game /Decent cup run/more in the community initiatives definitely is a good start to build up these dwindling fan bases.

Liquid Gold

Its time t build up a new generation of fans as hopefully move back up the leagues.

The initiatives like local school kids for free Accy game /Decent cup run/more in the community initiatives definitely is a good start to build up these dwindling fan bases.
We'll still be disappointed at the attendance tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread